Help me Find Info re: Employment/Work/Jobs/Internships In The Fashion Industry

JENEE218

Reaction score
Hey I Need Some Major Help With The Fashion Industry. Anyone Who Works In The Industry And Has Been In It For Awhile I Need Your Advice In Direction. I Am A Recent College Grad With A Bus. Mgnmt Degree. I Am Very Interested In Working In The Fashion Industry As A Merchandiser/ Visual Or Anything Related To That Field. I Have Been Job Hunting For Months Now And Since I Do Not Have Experience In The Field Nor A Degree In Fashion I Cannot Seem To Get My Foot In The Door. How Is A Person Like Me Who Has No Prior Experience In The Field Able To Get Their Foot In The Door If Noone Will Hire Someone With No Experience. All I Know Is That I Am A Motivated,creative, Amibitous Individual Who Will Drop Everything To Be Able To Work In The Business. Need Help !!!!!! What Am I Doing Wrong?? Where Should I Start?? Should I Go Back To School For Fashion??i Need Help Asap!!

hmmm...that sucks...
you can't even get a job as an asst or anything?...
where have you applied?...

Well Right Now I Work For Lexus, You Know Make The Most Of My Degree And Be Fiancially Stable, But I Have Been Going To All The Major Department Store Websites And Applying. I Just Applied To Laboratory Institute Of Merchandising And Fit ,but I An Told That You Do Not Need A Degree From Fashion To Work In The Industry. Its Hard Since I Dont Have Any "real" Experience , I Would Be Greatful Enough If I Can Go Internships For Now To Build Some Kind Of Fashion Resume.

i think you would have to be more pro-active than applying via some website...

check wwd help wanted section and actually apply for a job advertised...
even if you start as a receptionist...
it's a foot in the door and a way to make contacts...
contacts are what are going to get you where you want to go...

Also, and please don't think I am being snotty saying this because I'm not, I'm just giving you an honest opinion, if I were incharge of hiring and received dozens of emails a day from people who wanted to work for me and I opened an email from you that was typed in the manner you made your two posts, I probably would just pass by it and go onto the next. Capitalizing every word is difficult to read and also incorrect grammar, but mostly it's difficult to read and someone who goes through so many emails isn't going to take the time to read your email if you have made it more difficult to read than everyone else's.

just my 2 cents

of course if you don't type like that when you email people ignore this post :wink:

but I do agree with the previous person that you need to do more than apply through a couple websites and get turned down before you get too upset. It is a challenge, it's hard work, you'll get a job in the industry if you try hard enough. A lot of designers are still older and most of those older designers are old fashioned. They want to SEE you in person, they want a LETTER or FAX not an email. Get out there on your feet, it may take a couple months but you'll see results. If you can't take continual regjection for months and months before seeing positive results you won't make it in this industry.

Just as a word of encouragement ... it took me 2 months to get my most recent job, as a buyer/merchandiser. While I was out of the city I applied to jobs online and didn't hear a word. Once I moved to Toronto and applied to places in person, my phone was ringing off the hook.

All of my previous experience has been corporate communications with BMW and fashion journalism with a couple small local newspapers, and I knew that employers wouldn't look on this very favorably, so I created a small portfolio package of the fashion journalism articles and presented it to them a few days after interviews. I know they didn't really care about the articles that much, but it was enough of a show of motivation and interest in the position to get the job.

So my advice to you would be to just keep pushing. It's not an easy industry to get a job in (I was lucky to find something in merely 2 months) and may take you quite some time to get a foot in the door. If it's what you really want to do, show that you are passionate about it and someone will recognize that.

that is a great idea about presenting a portfolio even when not asked! It would have given you a leg up by proving you are on the same level as them and also shown that you really were motivated and interested in the position and not just looking for ANY job.

Work experience help!

Hi, I'm an illustration student (at the London College of Fashion) and am on the search for a work experience placement for next term. I'm really stuck on what kind of people/places to approach. Drawing really is my passion and I'd love to ind a placement that does involve it in a way but I'm finding it quite difficult to find suitable places. I'm in the process of contacting Orla Kiely but am thinking maybe I should also try graphic design agencies too?

A small sample of work is at www.littledoodles.moonfruit.com under the "photos" section

Thanks in advance for any advice!

yes, graphic design agencies sounds good, also advertising companies may be intersted

great work. good luck :flower:

Merchandising jobs in hamburg germany

Hello all,

Need info about the job oppertunites in fashion industries in hamburg germany.....#
hope anyone will help me out.....

Rgds
manu

Hi Manu,

Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

Any opportunities that members know about will be posted in this thread which is pinned near the top of this Careers,Education, Etc. Forum: 'Help Wanted' - Post Paid Job Opportunites Here (do not post comments, please!)

Before anyone can answer your very broad question you need to narrow it down ... and then I will refer you to an appropriate thread where they discuss each career.

Can you tell me:
What exact job are you looking for in the fashion industry in Hamburg? For example, are you a fashion merchandiser (accounting and tracking the merchandise) or a buyer (ordering the merchandise) ... or are you looking for a retail job ( selling merchandise in a store) or are you a Visual Merchandiser (setting up displays of mercahndise in stores)?

What are your qualifications and education? Are you experienced in anything in particular?

Also ... as a new member, this thread in the Member Support Forum should help you find you way around our huge site here: Newbie Help ... How to Navigate tFS

HI there,

Thx a lott for your reply...
I apologise for not being able to answer your question.
Iam basically a textile engineer from India with an work experience of 3 years merchandising( similar to production coordinator) with international brands like LEVIS EUROPE , ESPRIT , PIMKIE , PEAK PERFORMANCE.
for further details it would be great if you give me your email adress for me to post my cv.

Looking for your valuable advise in order for me to get a job.

Best REgards
Manasa

We do not have a "Job Wanted" thread ... only a "Help Wanted" thread as I noted, above. You should review that to see if there is anything of interest to you. That is all the Fashion Spot can offer you.

If you read that "Help Wanted" thread, you will see that employers do not come here to look for employees ... most of those posts are things members find on other sites and bring here for our members to see. It's just sharing of information ... and that is what we are all about here.

However, if you would like to participate and contribute, we have other threads that might be of interest to you. Here are a few threads (these threads are not "Job Wanted" threads ... we don't allow those) where you might be able to provide some helpful information to the other members:

Fashion Merchandising
Basics About Production and Factory Manufacturing

All about Textiles / Fabrics: Specifications, Fabric Treatments, Dyeing, Etc.
Sourcing Production & Manufacturing in the East or the West?
Factoring For Production & Manufacturing
Cost of Production

Anyone know of any fashion photography internship/opportunities?

OK,
i may have posted this in the wrong area, forgive me if this is the case!

Right, so i'm an aspiring young fashion photographer based in London.
I have assisted for a couple of years and worked at Spring Studios (studio choice of Vogue, ID, Josh Olins, Liz Collins, Willy Vanderperre etc) yet never really progressed in terms of assisting.

I now focus more on my own stuff in an attempt to work my way up. Fortunately i can now work with some great agencies to source my models for tests.

I would love any opportunity to learn from a slightly different environment to a studio. Anyone have/know of any opportunities in London, New York, LA etc?

iv attached some of my work to check out :smile:

Enjoy...

Capture-003550-Edit.jpg

IMG_3199-Edit.jpg

IMG_3385-Edit.jpg

IMG_3752-Edit-Edit.jpg

_MG_2207-Edit-Edit.jpg

_MG_3324-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

_MG_3469-Edit-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

_MG_6089-Edit-Edit-Edit-3.jpg

fashion design trainee seeking

Hello everyone!

first of all i would like to thank Fashion Spot to let me in the forum. I stayed in the waiting list for quite some time, so thank you very much. I'm a fan of the forum, specially the ads and campaigns topics, where we can remember and see so many glamorous pictures from the old good times.

well I don't know if I'm allowed to post the following here, but I didn't find any specific rule for it and I saw many similar posts so I guess it is not a problem. If it is, please let me know, and i'll delete it.

The thing is I recently applied for a fashion trainee program in the U.S. and although they are going to look for a placement for me if I help in the search it will increase my chances. I'm a fashion designer from Brazil, w/ BFA in design and master degree in fashion design, have worked in fashion brands back here, fashionrio week, and run my own brand Miss Manga since 2004. i'm 26.

I'm looking for a job as assistant or junior fashion designer (womens), and I'm allowed to work up to 18 months. Obviously i wanna be in the hot spots of the moment but more important to me is working in a place that has a lot to do with my work. But I know fashion market is really hard, and besides the fashion houses, i'm considering magazines, trend bureaus etc. I know that it is really hard to get it and any effort would worth it to be in a fashion house, and that contacts are really important and as well a strong portfolio etc etc etc.

So i need some advice, I don't know if it is possible to happen or if I should give up this whole idea. Specially because I would like to have at least the basic costs covered (housing and meal). If anyone is interested here is my portfolio luisadaou.com

I hope anyone can help me somehow.

thank you.

Canadian Fashion Job Search

I am a fashion design student at George Brown College in Toronto, Ontario and I am graduating this April. I have been trying to look for jobs for the past couple of months and I haven't really found much at all. I was wondering if any one knew of any good companies to look at who are hiring. I am willing to travel out of Toronto and also to New York when I get my passport. Any help/advice would be great.
Thanks!
:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Fashion Spot!

If you plan on coming to the States to work ... it's a very complex and long term process. You must find an employer who will more or less sponsor you to get a work visa. Both you and your employer must prove that you are skilled (as in have a professional reputation established) enough to be more desirable than the recent college grads who are US citizens or permanent residents. So ... that might have to come later, after you've established yourself in Canada.

But I found a thread with some sources for jobs in NY: New York Job Recruitment Agencies - Fashion - the Fashion Spot

You might also try all the fashion trade papers ... like WWD etc. ... the classifieds I listed a few of them some time ago in another thread ... but I can't find them now. I'll look some more and see if I can list anymore.

Have you ever considered enrolling backstage at Toronto LG Fashion Week happening next week? That would be a great place to meet some of the designers and get their perspectives on finding a position in the design industry of Toronto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batman112
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->