Are the people in the industry superficial?

I honestly beleive that the "superficial" thing helps out the people in the industry and weeds out the weak ones. They may be the most annoying parts but they are in a way what keeps the industry going. If everyone was all nice and sweet, pampered you and told you your designs were amazing, you wouldn't feel the need to step up and make something new. You need the mean one to say your "work sucks", (even if is dosent) to A) help you overcome harsh comments and :cool: move on.
Like when I have to work in a team, I purposely work with others who have totally different styles then me. If everyone just sits down and says "You're fabulous", "No your fabulous", you get no work done.

I think that's a different kind of superficiality than the OP mentioned ... ?

I honestly beleive that the "superficial" thing helps out the people in the industry and weeds out the weak ones. They may be the most annoying parts but they are in a way what keeps the industry going. If everyone was all nice and sweet, pampered you and told you your designs were amazing, you wouldn't feel the need to step up and make something new. You need the mean one to say your "work sucks", (even if is dosent) to A) help you overcome harsh comments and :cool: move on.
Like when I have to work in a team, I purposely work with others who have totally different styles then me. If everyone just sits down and says "You're fabulous", "No your fabulous", you get no work done.

I really like that you mentioned this because it's exactly how I feel.

The tricky thing about these sort of situations is that-more often than not-someone's job is on the line and it's usually your own. It's not the same as if you had to deal with an arrogant SA where you deal with the situation by simply throwing your credit card down to shut them up. There's no talking back or being snarky so you learn to deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've developed a theory that truly creative talented people are a little prone to go off the deep end. I don't know if it's because they use up all their energy with their creations and ideas and can't deal with the small stuff or that they can't understand why everyone else can't see things the same way they do.

Lots of fashion people are what psychologists call highly "visual-spatial" (think in pictures, not good at deadlines) and the rest of the world calls flaky. They think about the big picture, but ignore the leaky toilet until it crashes through the floor. They just seem crazier. They might seem superficial if you are not part of their big plan.

Your talented computer programmer, for instance, is a very creative person, but is highly sequential-analytical in his thinking. He could be very artistic as well, but would probably never go into fashion because it just isn't logical.

Such an interesting discussion! I am not exactly working in the industry, but like others have said I imagine it would be almost like any other industry where you get all types of personalities and can't really make a generalization.

As far as superficiality and emphasis on appearance, I think that is important to this industry obviously, it sells appearance-based everything. But I also think a person needs to have a strong knowledge and acceptance of their self to survive that climate. Just to stay healthy mentally (and in some ways physically) and not try to conform to something that isn't "you". I think this ties into that whole topic of the modern beauty ideal/standard. It can be very dangerous to one's mental and physical health if their self-worth is based on appearance. I don't know that's just something this topic reminds me of. That if you get lost in the superficiality you may not perform as well as you could or lead the best life for yourself.

Sorry that is very vague but I hope you know what I mean and what I'm hinting at. :blush:

Yes for the most part.

In this line of work, people are often caught up in some "i have to be different by any means, even if thats not me", acting completely ridiculous because they think its part of this job, when they dont really have to..

You either are IT or you aren´t. People see right through that.

I think the industry feels more superficial because it is constantly selling something that is about beauty, and the exterior. There are some genius artisans within the trade, but it will forever seem superficial. I've been trying to get an agent for far too long, and will never succeed as a model. It's been difficult for me hearing so much criticism and harsh words, but not being able to change the way I'm made. I agree that every industry is filled with fake, manipulative people. Personally, I think any industry, society, or town is very difficult to live in because of the state of society, and the crazies.

Bottom line, if fashion is what you want go for it, and try and stay fast to what is real and right for you. Any industry is going to present artificial tactics to disguise the truth or present a different image. If you love fashion, work it, and ignore the superficiality. I'm in interior design and the people I meet are often very superficial and malicious as well. There are always nice people, and rude mean people.

In any industry you will come across people you absolutely hate and people you completely love. You just have to be able to deal with the negative aspects.

There are rude and arrogant people everywhere, that is why it is important to pick a field you personally like.

I plan on going into graphic design or something but I come from a completely unrelated field. I majored in biochem and worked in a few labs. There are plenty of arrogant and rude people in the science field too. People think they are better than you because they went to a certain university or worked with a certain researcher. It is also very cut-throat (at least in the usa) because everyone is competing for grant money and needs to show results. Although I don't think there are many superficial people in this field (you can tell most of us don't dress very well, lol)

But there will be negative people in every field so just go into one you really like and try to make some good friends.

^when it's all about status and what school you went to, i think that's also superficial :innocent:

Gius, I think that's what he was saying. Wasn't he comparing the science industry to that of fashion and saying that there are superficial/competitive people in all fields and not just in fashion?

What exactly does the OP mean as far as superficiality?

my impression was it was about physical appearances
good looks ^_^

i guess u can find this problem anywhere
and any side of fashion can be intelligent ~~
except model bookers? lol.. referring to 1st page

I'm guessing as an industry in general, entertainment would be worse with superficiality. Both music and film. I mean in interviews a lot of people seem down to earth but just from the way they have to behave and look just to be successful seems like you'd have to at least act superficial to get by.

i think no matter what industry you are in there will always be superficial people, just in the fashion industry there are people who act in a stereotypical way (devil wears prada). However this is not always the case, i found from working in a model agency there are a number of lovely welcoming people who are fun and admit alot of the indusrty people are pretencious. I guess you have to take these people with a pinch of salt and learn to laugh at them!

^when it's all about status and what school you went to, i think that's also superficial :innocent:

Yeah, I understand you're point and find it terrible that people will judge without knowing what you're capable of. I thought the OP meant superficiality in the sense of determining ones worth in appearances such as dress and looks.

However much we hate it, appearances do matter somewhat but I try my best to ignore people like that if I can. I don't have much experience in the fashion industry or anything like that so I don't know how bad it is there.

There is definitely a good share of superficial, catty women in the industry. BUT there are also women who are real, down to earth, and do anything and everything to get things done. The fashion industry is not all that glamourous - for the most part, there is always a public persona who represents the face of the brand. Take Alexander Wang for example. He's always the one in interviews, photographs, and gets all the publicity for the brand. At the same time, there are people who work behind the scenes (Dennis + Amy Wang) who do everything else that makes the line successful. You need a combination of both types of people but often only the "celebrity" gets the credit.

Lots of fashion people are what psychologists call highly "visual-spatial" (think in pictures, not good at deadlines) and the rest of the world calls flaky. They think about the big picture, but ignore the leaky toilet until it crashes through the floor.

Your talented computer programmer, for instance, is a very creative person, but is highly sequential-analytical in his thinking. He could be very artistic as well, but would probably never go into fashion because it just isn't logical.
I agree with most of this. I'm a highly technical person who works in a support position in fashion (pattern maker). One thing that annoys me generally (a common perception of the public, not tFS per se) is the idea that technical people aren't creative. We are. Very much so. Believe me, it takes endless boundaries of creativity to make solutions of the problems designers throw at us. Creativity is not limited to drawing pretty pictures. Six year olds can draw cute pictures. It takes a great deal of creativity to find ways to make those ideas work.

It's TMI to explain why but I know quite a bit about the different types of thinking. Of them all, it is technical people who are more likely to think in pictures, the opposite of what most people think. It is described as "very male" thinking. Designers are actually abstract thinkers and better able to see the whole picture -that's why they're designers, they put the whole look together, the flow and feel of it (abstract-emotive). It's technical people who see parts of parts (not seeing the forest for the trees) which is good in that they build the minutia of constituent parts. As ever, this can be best described as an extreme. Consider autism. Autistic people are almost exclusively thinking in pictures type people. Autistics are famous for being absorbed with parts of parts, the mechanical workings of objects. Again, extending the analogy to it's extreme, designers are more akin to those with Williams Syndrome, the opposite of autism. Here's a quote:
Individuals with Williams syndrome are highly verbal and sociable (having what has been described as a "cocktail party" type personality), but lack common sense...
Outside of these extremes and having worked with thousands of designers, it is my experience that designers -successful ones- are highly intelligent. Relationships are important to them. The ones who seem to become most successful usually have at least a bachelor's degree if not an advanced degree. Perhaps surprisingly, few have fashion degrees. After 25+ years working in this business, the most successful ones aren't the ones who are most "creative" as far as generating ideas is concerned. They are successful in implementing an over all strategy, focus and direction. They're attentuated to their market, their buyers and their core customer. I'd say their first priority is VALUE, what their customers think that is, as opposed to throwing out the wildest idea they can come up with. They have bills to pay.

Then again, what is success? Is it landing in the pages of Vogue, that consumers who can never possibly afford you, know your name? Most of these designers declare bankruptcy or they don't even own their own name. Did you know that? Most of the successful designers I know own their own companies, live well, pay their employees a respectable wage and have a fanatical following among consumers who buy their brands. In fact, few of these designers even use their own name on their products.

To the OP, yes people in the industry are superficial. However, there are superficial people everywhere. My advice is to do what you love and surround yourself with good people that you trust.

It's really hard to see the fashion industry as anything but superficial just based off of what we see on TV and in movies. And to be completey honest, I've experienced some of that arrogance and unfriendliness here as well when it comes to fashion (definitely not saying everyone is like that!).

I plan on working in the fashion industry, and this part of it does worry me. I guess you do just have to remove yourself from the negative aspects as much as possible and surround yourself with good people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->