Are the people in the industry superficial?

either that or neurotic...:lol:...

people are so weird...:P
but that's what makes this crasy world go round...!!

It's all a game. You remain a player as long as you serve a purpose and contribute to the cause....make one mistake or fail to measure up and you can be banished in the blink of an eye. The longer you last in the game and the more status you achieve the more you are willing to sacrifice in order to remain.

Siesta said:
My sister works for French Vogue, that is exactly what she said. :heart:

I'm so jealous...that's because she works for Carine Roitfeld :heart:

Does anyone really think Anna Wintour is mean?

jf813 said:
Does anyone really think Anna Wintour is mean?

mean as in a superficial way?
Yes totally
everyone in the industry is superficial. It has to be..

that makes sense that the successful, hard working stylists/what have you would be less pretentious and more focused on doing their job well.

it's kind of strange but have any of you noticed this in SAs when you go shopping? i've found that at truly fashion-oriented boutiques (Via Bus Stop in NYC comes to mind, they carry the coolest stuff--av hash, mcqueen, viktor&rolf, etc) the SAs tend to be much more down to earth than say if you walk into even a Barneys Co-op in DC.

Not that I have any problem with Barneys--I met a couple of their employees briefly at fashion week and they were absolute dolls (and not pretentious).

Have any of the stylists here found these stores easier to work with? Or is it basically an individual thing?

Lena said:
^ on the contrary, from my experience in EU fashion world, the closest people are on the 'top', the more 'grounded' , uncomplicated, polite and 'down to earth' they get ..

Couldn't agree more.

its 'entry level' kids and wannabes who act with 'air' and adopt 'attitudes' they seem very ridiculous really and basically its all because of their insecurity

superficiality and hard core professionalism just doesn't match

And this is why many newbies or B-List types slag the "top people" off, because, being human, the "top people" sometimes react negatively to rude, arrogant "entry level kids" and "wannabes".

Vicious circle...never breaks because of the steady supply of wannabes to full the gaps as the assholes spin out into oblivion.

QED.

PK

Siesta said:
My sister works for French Vogue, that is exactly what she said. :heart:

She had better not say it too often if she wants to get ahead in that office...

PK

Any model I've ever met has been extremely down to earth and sweet. I once took a fashion course in my university that had guest students from the Amsterdam and Arnhem design schools and they were the most stuck up, arrogant people I have met in my life.

i agree with everyone who has said that the peeps at the top are much nicer and more grounded than entry level people who are overly impressed themselves for having landed a job in fashion.

i used to work on wall street, and my take is that fashion people spend more energy and time on superficial things (what to wear, more pictorially oriented), wall street people are actually WAY more superficial as people. fashion people get it out of their system all the superficial things, but wall street people will treat people much better if they are good looking because they seldom encounter good looking people like models, etc.

Great thread, and great input guys. I always wondered how accurate The Devil Wears Prada and Ugly Betty are. I figured they were exagerrated...I mean, working at a magazine would they really care what size you wear?

I would think a lot would be. I'm not in the industry or anything I'm still young, but from reading articles and things online and what not, it seems like a lot of people think they're the sh**.

The worse kind of people I've met in the industry are fashion PR ppl - they have airs and graces that surpass those of the designers that they are representing! Some of them actually get sadistic pleasure out of saying no to people and like the power that they wield (i.e. giving out invites to ppl, sending clothes out for press etc.)
This is only a select few though and by and large, the ppl I have met in the industry are VERY nice (whether it's superficial or not I can't tell....I'm a crap judge of that!)

I definitely agree- I interned at a high-end luxury design house this past summer in NYC and it amazed me how kind, selfless and helpful the women who had worked there for 5+ years were while the entry-level girls, only 2 or 3 years older than myself were beyond snotty to me and just acted a whole WORLD better than me. The entry-level girls were, of course, the ones who did my eval and were just ridiculous whereas the older women were always praising me and were SO encouraging. Even little things like, walking down Fashion Avenue to work everyday, the younger girls stuck their noses in the air while the older women smiled back. I'm a southerner so I got my kicks out of smiling to EVERYONE on the street hahah.

Watching thnigs like Ugly Betty and The Devil Wears Prada seems to show the industry is superficial and up their own a** but I seem to think it is overrexagerated. It seems to be a hard industry.

in an industry where people kill tiny cutie animals to get dressed (lavish Fendi furcoats for instance) is really rare not to be superficial... besides as every art or applied art is(i mean most of them at least), fashion is a way of getting separated, and at the same time of joinging groups of people. Maybe it's just because it requires a little bit of something many people dont have (allure, class, creativity and so on...). It's because one can not omit the fact that he/she has that little something, and that's when he/she starts getting superficial.

it's not bad at all... it's a consequence of teh fashion industry and probably everyindustry. Besides their world-saving tasks, i dont think scientifics or doctors are betten than we are, they are just not exposed to public oppinion

as they say in the devil wears prada : "that's what this multi-million dollars industry is all about, inner beauty!":wink:

i had to get this one up!

another question: are the people in the industry less intelligent? i've always thought high IQ = high creativity, right? fashion is a form of art too after all, and being artistic means being talented. should i quit uni to go to design? because i spend all my freetime doing fashion related things anyway and i have an intuition that tells me to go this path. i wanna have my own label in the future!

High IQ does not always mean high creativity at all, IMHO. Look at computer geeks and mathemeticians ... they are dealing with numbers, facts and theories ... and can solve problems just like that but t they usually have no visual creativity ... no artistic skills. It's just a different skill ... their "vision" is different. Then, there are great business people who know how to run a business and can make a lot of money ... and then there's those people who are hightly creative in the visual arts, but loose money on everything they try. Just a different type of inteligence.

There's plenty of need in the fashion business for all types ... the creatives, the number crunchers, the detail people, the people who are good with their hands, the people who are good problem solvers and the people who can sell anything to anybody. It takes all of these skills to run a successfull business.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've developed a theory that truly creative talented people are a little prone to go off the deep end. I don't know if it's because they use up all their energy with their creations and ideas and can't deal with the small stuff or that they can't understand why everyone else can't see things the same way they do.

I tend to agree ... I've got a few creatives among my friends and they are generally not the "stable" ones. They are easily stressed by life in general ... and by not having the world accept their "talent" with open arms and open checkbooks, in particular. Not always the easiest people to be around ... but they are usually the most interesting of my friends..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->