Rizzoli presents “Nostalgia in Vogue”

ellastica

Reaction score
Anyone else super psyched about this dream fashion tome? a compilation of VOGUE Nostalgia features, one of the highlights of American VOGUE bound together in one glorious book. seriously, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Not sure how extensive this is but it'd be great to either share scans from this book or actual articles from vintage VOGUE's.

“I had read too many stories about magazines losing image troves, whether because they were poorly maintained, thrown out by accident, or deemed unimportant to posterity. But you need only visit any designer’s studio and see the vintage portraits and fashion photographs pinned to the wall to understand that these pictures carry weight; that they are points of reference and inspiration, not simply commercial images made to sell dresses.”

Anna Wintour in the foreword to Nostalgia In Vogue.

I recall a brilliant writer , (I believe it was Hilton Als) expressing the dangerous sentiment that in fashion, people are suspicious of words and the people who ply too heavily in them. Which is to say words in fashion are often required to exist for purposes of flattery and hype and not much beyond that . "Nostalgia In Vogue", a new monograph from Rizzoli compiles sixty-three essays culled from Vogue's "Nostalgia" column and that body of writing probably represents one of the most significant treasure troves of fashion's literary aspect ever published . Those essays by the likes of Joan Didion, Margaret Atwood, Patti Smith, Karl Lagerfeld, Carly Simon, George Plimpton, Manolo Blahnik, Anjelica Huston and Joyce Carol Oates are in personal response to the legendary imagery of Vogue photographers including Helmut Newton, Henry Clarke, Irving Penn, Richard Avedon, Horst P. Horst, and Henri Cartier-Bresson.

As such "Nostalgia In Vogue" serves as a great point of visual reference given the deft editing that mixes the expected "iconic" imagery with a choices that are more personal and peculiar to each writer. I received a copy of the book not expecting it to swing with such such wide intellectual range through so many decades of daring, difficult fashion work. It makes for a really important book, obviously for its value as reference and inspiration but more importantly because "Nostalgia In Vogue" affords the rare instance of sustained thinking and writing about fashion with great passion and intelligence. The power of fashion and the emotion it evokes is beautifully explored not only by the marquee literary names but also the fashion obsessed talent that ranges from designers as disparate as Vera Wang and Helmut Lang as well as photographers like Bruce Weber and Richard Avedon.

Being in fashion oftentimes involved emitting an aura of practiced vapidity but the deep irony about this vital, disposable, maddeningly irrational business is that beneath that blithe surface is often times a tremendous amont of insight and cultural awareness. Great fashion captures its time and these essays do serve to encapsulate not only whole sweeping cultural moments but more importantly the very personal emotions and passion, the inspirations and call to beauty that a powerful photograph in a magazine can inspire. Maybe its something that the Vogue empire doesn't enunciate in public, but as is clearly highlighted by "Nostalgia In Vogue" that enterprise is now its own brand with a whopping heritage. Which is perhaps the whole point of that fashion game and the great foundation for continued influence.

NostalgiainVogue_cover_final_0.thumbnail.jpeg

source: theimagist.com

I've had this book for about a week now. It's full of beautiful images, but this is a book that demands to be read. Nostalgia is one of my favorite things about Vogue every month because the stories are all so intimate. It's nice to have them together in one book.

Here's a few that were scanned for the magazine threads. I'm
sure I scanned more, I'll see if I can find them.

April 2007 | Mary Blume

source | scanned by MMA

John Galliano | March 2009

source | scanned by MMA

Beverley Johnson | September 2009

source | scanned by flyme2themoon

Diana Spiotta | November 2009

source | scanned by flyme2themoon

Took the words right out of my mouth!^ Love reading this section with their little tidbits, etc.

Count me in as someone who loves Nostalgia section in Vogue as well, i never ever not read it, and to have it all in one book, is fantastic, my order will be placed very soon.

ps: There is also one more book of covers out? If anyone has it, how many covers, and from which year on is there?

one of my favorite Nostalgia features:

Nicolas Ghesquiere on Francoise Hardy,
US VOGUE September 2001:

ellastica scans

I have some other favorites stored away but am moving and won't be able scan them for a few more weeks.
hopefully we can dig up some others in the mean time.

Miss Dalloway, I saw the VOGUE covers one today @B&N on my break but i did not have enough time to look through it, altho it looked pretty hefty!

I did however quickly page through the Nostalgia book and was delighted to see some other beautiful pieces i'd saved. The book one upped the magazine format with accompanied photos ( not included in the Nostalgia magazine article) gleaned from the fondly remembered vintage VOGUEs. Definitely on my X-mas list!

my school just got this book in the library. I wound up reading through this instead of completing a paper :lol:

Miss Dalloway, I saw the VOGUE covers one today @B&N on my break but i did not have enough time to look through it, altho it looked pretty hefty!

I did however quickly page through the Nostalgia book and was delighted to see some other beautiful pieces i'd saved. The book one upped the magazine format with accompanied photos ( not included in the Nostalgia magazine article) gleaned from the fondly remembered vintage VOGUEs. Definitely on my X-mas list!

Oh it sounds like a must have, thanks for the heads up.

This is just wonderful...:blush: What I like about it is all the stories behind these images...and that they pick less overexposed images.

The Nostalgia section is indeed one of my favorites columns to read when I received my Vogue issue at home.

" The Moving Image by Bella Freud "
US VOGUE June 2000
Photographers: Helmut Newton & Christian Louboutin

ellastica scans

Last edited by a moderator:
^The beautiful, Catherine Deneuve!
As always, thanks for posting, ellastica!!!

Nostalgia: Carmen Dell'Orefice
US VOGUE April 2001
Photographer: John Rawlings ( portraits ) & Alex Cao (stills)

ellastica scans

Nostalgia: " Grunge & Glory "
US VOGUE August 2006
Written by Amanda Brooks

4_carine_Roitfeld_Barneys_New_York_Amanda_Brooks_vogue_nostalgia.jpg

5_carine_Roitfeld_Barneys_New_York_Amanda_Brooks_vogue_nostalgia.jpg

It was October 1992, and Madonna was on the cover, dressed as a glamorous hippie — big floppy hat, studded bell-bottom pants, a striped turtleneck, and bare feet. She could have passed for a Brown student, albeit a particularly fashion-conscious one. Also in Vogue that season was Ralph Lauren doing the more tasteful bohemian look (the one I'd seen the real estate mogul's daughter wearing), with floral slip dresses over T-shirts and long, dangling necklaces. Ralph's version of hippie dressing was written in my language, while the "grunge" collection by Marc Jacobs for Perry Ellis, shown in its full understated glory that December, was harder to get a fix on — until I saw a friend wearing the whole look to class (to class!) one day. After that I was sold.

Fortunately for me, deconstructed outfits and eclecticism were the perfect way to combine the mundane clothes I already had (Converse All Stars, T-shirts, plaid flannel shirts, scarves, and wool hats) with a few trendier pieces that didn't break the bank. I began to prowl the Providence thrift stores, far more "curated" than the Bronxville variety, which had required spending many hours digging through bins of ratty garments in order to uncover one great find (worn Levi's, a Polo shirt, a Givenchy cashmere cardigan). My other great discovery was Contempo Casuals, sadly now defunct, which was a precursor to H&M and Zara. It had supertrendy clothes and was even more affordable than the Gap. I would leave with armfuls of bell-bottoms, crocheted knit caps, floral slip dresses, and frilled shirts to experiment with while studying my copy of Vogue.

A little unsure of how my mall fashion — so not cool in those days — would go over with my much fancier friends, I showed up at my nineteenth-birthday party in a black chiffon ruffled blouse with outrageously exaggerated black bell-bottoms and a black crocheted vest. Everything but the choker and heart pendant someone had given me for my birthday came from Contempo Casuals. After quizzing me about my outfit and how much I paid for it, my designer-clad friends were following me back to the mall the next day.

For the rest of my freshman year, I continued to put together looks inspired by the now-infamous grunge story in Vogue. Most vividly etched in my memory is a black-and-white floral slip dress by Ralph Lauren (bought at Filene's Basement in Boston) worn over a white T-shirt with white Converse sneakers or Red Wing boots (a kinder, gentler version of Doc Martens). My hair was long, unbrushed, and firmly parted in the middle, and my make-up was sparse-a look that was authentically grunge but also authentically me.

I must have considered this my best outfit because I wore it that summer when I was a photo assistant to Patrick Demarchelier. Coming unexpectedly full circle from my moment of fashion inspiration just months before, I was invited to Madonna's birthday party after a day spent working on the shoot for her Bedtime Stories cover. It was a great party, with just 30 or so people. We feasted on Cuban food, drank too many mojitos, and danced all night with Madonna, her backup dancers, a slew of drag queens, and a handful of her close friends, including Gloria Estefan, Dennis Rodman, Mickey Rourke, and the Versace Family. Late that night (or was it early morning?), I was given a ride to my hotel by Gianni Versace (it was just him and Donatella and me in the back of their limo), and he told me he liked my look. I felt so shy that I think I said four words to them the whole ride: "Thank you" and "Good night."

source: iwanttobearoitfeld.com

US Vogue July 2010
Nostalgia: "Parting Shot" by Léon Bing

:heart:

Source: Scanned by MissMagAddict

ah, I didn't realize we had a thread on this! I have this book - my boyfriend got it for me as a Christmas gift (yes I have the kind of bf who gets this sort of thing as a gift without me hinting/suggesting/asking :ninja:). It's great - I actually wasn't that familiar with the columns, but it's a beautiful compilation and really is about so much more than just clothes/style.

“ Out of the West ” by Raf Simons
US VOGUE March 2012
As Told to Mark Holgate
Photographer(s:( Karen Radaki (Conde Nast Archive image) / Steven Meisel (Aymeline Valade)

my crappy scans don't this article justice but this is by far the most moving image/feature in the entire issue!

ellastica scans

SEEING THE LIGHT
US Vogue March 2010
Remembering Irving Penn
By Phyllis Posnick

source | scanned by MMA

Penn + Posnick....what a great team!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member