Shopping in Sydney

I was about to post in Aussie street-style but knew it'd get moved so, here I am. Some have already been mentioned...

- Orson & Blake on Riley Street, Surry Hills is one of my favourite stores; there's furniture and homewares upstairs, as well as a small gallery and cafe, and clothing, books and other knick-knacks downstairs. There's also an O&B in Woollahra that stocks a lot more clothing and homewares.

- Crown Street, Surry Hills is really great for second hand and vintage goodies. I love Cream On Crown 'cos I always manage to have fun in there. :lol: There's also this fantastic antique store on the southern end of Crown Street that stocks beautiful French antiques. So chic! :P

- Capital L on South Dowling Street, Darlinghurst is really nice and cosy and has a lot of nice pieces from Aussie designers. The girls there are really nice too (I mean that as in service).

- Glenmore Road in Paddington has a nice selection of stores. I think the Scanlan & Theodore store is right on the corner of Glenmore and Oxford. There's Parlour X, Ksubi, Kirrily Johnston, Paul & Joe and so many more that I can't think of right now. :P

- William Street, Paddington has probably got the best shops, in my opinion. There's Corner Shop, Belinda, Poepke, a lot of nice little vintage stores, Renya's also got another hair salon there... Oh and Just Williams Chocolates is so, so good. If anybody goes there, I recommend the hazelnut biscotti. It's the best thing in the world.

- The Westfield's complex at Bondi is also good for just about everything.

- David Jones on Elizabeth Street is another place to go, as well as Myer (which is in Sydney Central Plaza in the Pitt Street Mall complex). You can easily walk through to the Queen Victoria Building from here and The Strand Arcade (which has Akira, Corner Shop, Mimco, Gary Castles shoes, Jayson Brunsdon, Zimmermann, Third Millennium, Terry Biviano and so much more) is also located in the Pitt Street Mall complex.

- Martin Place is great; they've got the Prada store there, as well as the MLC Centre, which has stores like Robby Ingham, Belinda, Evelyn Miles (shoes), Salvatore Ferregamo, Longchamp, Gucci, Cartier, et cetera. Service at the MLC is really good, better than most places in Sydney. I have to say, I prefer the Robby Ingham store in Paddington (Oxford Street) but the ladies at the MLC store are really, really nice.

- The historic Rocks district is a really nice area; they've got tthe Galleria, which has Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Ralph Lauren, Dior, et cetera. There's a lot of art and craft stores hidden away here. I love the bead store in the Metcalfe Arcade, which is also home to the Rokit gallery (genuine vintage clothing and wares). The Rocks also have markets operating on the weekends.

- Glebe markets down at Glebe P.S. is really good. There's this guy that sells jewellery bits and pieces there, I told him I'd like to buy out his whole store. :lol: Surry Hills markets are also good and there's also the Bondi and Kirribilli markets.

Hi guys :smile: , are there any YSL store in Sydney?

No YSL store in Sydney. You'll find even the larger well known designers don't have stores in Australia.

No YSL store in Sydney. You'll find even the larger well known designers don't have stores in Australia.

thanks Lauren for the respond :flower:, how sad ... what about retilars for YSL?

David Jones (department store) stocks YSL (and only the city store) but their range is pitiful and imho very marked up so it'll be easier as well as cheaper to buy online or overseas.

I love Queen street in Woollahra (off Oxford street). It's one of the prettiest streets ever. Orson & Blake have a store there and there's quite a few lovely cafes and other restaurants like Bistro Moncur (on Moncur street, off Queen street).

There's also William street off Oxford street with the Belinda stores (Corner Shop, Belinda, Belinda Menswear), the chocolate shop, Colette Dinnigan and Ginger & Smart.

thanks Cicciolina :flower:, it seems that there are no high fashion scene in Sydney ?

taz it's there but not really that big. There's a Chanel, LV (x2), Fendi (x2), Gucci (x2), Burberry (x2), Tiffany's, Cartier, Bulgari, Ferragamo (x2), Bally (x2), Hermes, Armani stores (a couple of his lines), Prada and probably more I can't think of right now but honestly it's cheaper to buy that sort of stuff overseas in Europe, Asia or the US. The market here just isn't as big as overseas so we don't get as much of the range, however anything popular still sells out within hours like everywhere else.

The Belinda store stock brands like Ann D, Chloe, Lanvin, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Rozae Nichols, Miu Miu, etc - accessories and clothing. I'm not really sure about the Belinda Menswear store though, sorry. Its sister store the Corner Shop have younger brands like Luella, some more Miu Miu, Vanessa Bruno and Isabel Marant. Both stores have a mix of Australian brands as well like Willow and Josh Goot.

There's also the Robby Ingham stores (one is on Oxford street, the other in in the city). They have menswear and womenswear but again I'm only familiar with womenswear. Womenswear includes 3.1 Phillip Lim, Chloe, DVF, Martin M, Viktor & Rolf and others.

The department stores:
David Jones: for menswear they have Jil Sander, John Varvatos, Miu Miu, Filippa K, and Australian designers like Arthur Galan and Frisoni Finetti but the accessories range is lacking.
Womenswear: lots of Australian designers like Alice McCall, Scanlan & Theodore, Jayson Brunsdon, Willow, Mad Cortes, Sass & Bide and Kirrily Johnston. On the top floor of the city store there's Lanvin, Marcy by Marc Jacobs, Chloe, DVF, Missoni, Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren Collection, Calvin Klein mainline, Armani (a couple of his lines) and Jil Sander.
Women's accessories: Prada, Dior, Fendi, Burberry, Zac Posen, Chloe, Mulberry, YSL, Armani, Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Miu Miu shoes only, Ferragmo, Marc by Marc Jacobs and probably others that I've forgotten.

Myer:
Menswear is pretty lacking, it's like Tommy Hilfiger, Gant, Nautica, Polo (and David Jones have all these brands as well).
Womenswear: Peter Som, Sonia by Sonia Rykiel, Maje, Rebecca Taylor, Tara Jarmon, etc.

Hope this helps :smile:

wow thanks alot Cicciolina i get the picture, I am going to Sydney & Perth in a couple of weeks .. Karma :wink:

Cicciolina said:
Menswear is pretty lacking
reminds me of a conversation i had a long time ago... so true. :mellow:

robby ingham have marc jacobs, paul smith, dirk schonberger, martin margiela, steven alan, nice collective...

belinda menswear have yohji yamamoto, martin margiela, helmut lang, hussein chalayan, ann demeulemeester, marni, miu miu, rick owens...

incu have a.p.c., kenzo, marc by marc jacobs, nice collective, trovata... it's more street-wear stuff though.

i find that most of the products you'd find from the higher end labels (ysl, chanel, prada, gucci, etc) tend to be accessories (bags, wallets and jewellery) and shoes; there's more of a market for those products.

there doesn't seem to be a lot of places here that stock actual clothing from those brands. i guess because, as cicciolina said, it tends to be overpriced and most people here aren't willing to spend that amount of money on clothing.

and also, the menswear market is, generally, not very big. not to say that there aren't any out there but, it's almost a rarity to find a guy that's into fashion and appreciates the aesthetics and construction of the clothing and the person who designed it. a lot of the guys here really are laid-back and are happy to just be in any old pair of shorts or jeans and a t-shirt.

:mellow:

reminds me of a conversation i had a long time ago... so true. :mellow:

robby ingham have marc jacobs, paul smith, dirk schonberger, martin margiela, steven alan, nice collective...

belinda menswear have yohji yamamoto, martin margiela, helmut lang, hussein chalayan, ann demeulemeester, marni, miu miu, rick owens...

incu have a.p.c., kenzo, marc by marc jacobs, nice collective, trovata... it's more street-wear stuff though.

i find that most of the products you'd find from the higher end labels (ysl, chanel, prada, gucci, etc) tend to be accessories (bags, wallets and jewellery) and shoes; there's more of a market for those products.

there doesn't seem to be a lot of places here that stock actual clothing from those brands. i guess because, as cicciolina said, it tends to be overpriced and most people here aren't willing to spend that amount of money on clothing.

and also, the menswear market is, generally, not very big. not to say that there aren't any out there but, it's almost a rarity to find a guy that's into fashion and appreciates the aesthetics and construction of the clothing and the person who designed it. a lot of the guys here really are laid-back and are happy to just be in any old pair of shorts or jeans and a t-shirt.

:mellow:

which is a huge shame, in the 4 years ive been here so far, menswear is hugely disappointing. Then again, I have gotten heaps of custo barcelona tops at 40 bucks each off david jones, just because no one else knows what they are, which is awesome!!!.

I shop mostly at Blue Spinach now, Nr of Liverpool St and Womerah ave(the most standout building there, cant miss) and get things specially imported in through them. Other than that, best advice to males and shopping in Syd...drive to Melbourne or buy online....

No one has mentioned House of Cashmere or The Vintage Clothing Shoppe in the arcade across from LV on Castlereagh st in the city...

Are there any good designer vintage stores (besides the one mentioned above) I'd love to have the luck many people have in the US of finding intact vintage Chanels.. and what not :(

hmmm not a clue...

house of cashmere is oh soo good though....

Sydney shopping is quite er, quiet :P

I used to do lots of market/vintage shopping, stopped, and started up again recently. Kirribilli markets is terrible. I used to find lots of great buys, now everything is so expensive, and there's not much vintage or good 2nd hand stuff anymore, just lots of commercial things/mass imports of cheap clothing. It was a huge disappointment. DON'T GO!

does anybody know any non-designer places? places with good stuff that have a more reasonable price.has anyopne heard of the frock exchange? and if you've been is it good?

I've never had any luck at Frock Exchange but some of my friends have gone and found decent stuff.

I am a cheap a$$, so I like to go to Rozelle markets on weekends to buy second hand used stuff. :D Sometimes you find ultra cool stuff and the atmosphere there is great.

^ Aw, that sounds awesome :woot:. I never heard of it before, Not to far from me aswell. :smile: Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->