Marie-France de Crécy
maison-6b-386x518.jpg

maison-5b-386x518.jpg

mariposa-8a-386x518.jpg

robe-mariee-1b-584x518.jpg

rougemont-4a-584x518.jpg

rougemont-2a-386x518.jpg

rough google translation:
"Stylist, textile designer and consultant based in Paris.
Marie-France de Crécy, born in 1973 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Consider Duperré at the Applied Arts in Paris in textile design. Stylist in New York from 1998 to 2000. Designer independent in Paris since 2000, working primarily in the area of luxury textiles and agencies style and publicity as a consultant mode."
mariefrancedecrecy.com

^ thanks for the post, marvystone ! would love it if she also described the techniques for each fabric.. that 2nd pic of the bird is an oddity ^_^ & on her website she's worked for Christian Lacroix? :heart:

--

Here's some inspiration for textile designers..
for spring / summer 2009

trend forecasting courtesy of Premiere vision in Paris
-----------------------------------------------------

themes are (with sample fabrics)

- activating: breaking free from constraint , pro-action
explosion of colour/texture/decor
leaving room between body and fabric for graceful movement
structured volume so body can move freely: quiltings, darting, stitching, pleating

fabrics ultra delicate and fine but dense + opaque (to go with idea of free constraint)

fabric surfaces ... a cheerful mess
scribbles , scratches , new colour combos

fabric finishes ... washed out, sun-light faded, chalky coatings (to mean "optimism")

- idealising: open-mindedness , accepting contradictions, new visions
keywords "artificial garden" and "fantasized nature"
ie. artificial w natural
Signing on for a sustainable-development approach without giving in to moralising. Choosing bio-diversity and showcasing the ecological potential of synthetic fibres.
recyclable and recycled materials

- radicalising
same idea as activating... forward-thinking, taking hold of optimism
mix and match.. about focusing on the inside person and letting that show through to the outer + with no constraint , no self-consciousness

fabrics matt is key / minimised shine (to mean "no deception")
anti-stretch , blocked textures, thick silks , strong cellulose fabrics (ie. canvas)
urban camouflage

Last edited by a moderator:
couple more for 2 themes...
same source

idealising

--

and radicalising

Gius I love the way these styles are described they sound very beautiful: "washed out, sun-light faded, chalky coatings":heart:

I'm not sure if this belongs as its more about the design on the fabric.

Marimekko s/s 08 fabric patterns
marimekko19976805809315zw0.jpg

Mustikkamaa
Designed by Aino-Maija Metsola 2008 MARIMEKKO

Small berry like shapes in 4 shades of blue and 3 shades of purple interspered with bright green leaves on white. Cool crisp color combo looks great with white furniture or use to update a cottage look.
marimekko19976686058315ap1.jpg

Juhannustaika
Designed by Aino-Maija Metsola 2008 MARIMEKKO
Large stylized floral in rich saturated colors of blue, red, orange, yellow, green and purple on white. Great for curtains,wall hangings or bedding. Photo shows 1 repeat which is how this design is sold. Also available in oilcloth.
marimekko20006839012160ju2.jpg

Lepo white/green/blue
Designed by Fujiwo Ishimoto 1991 MARIMEKKO
Whispy lines appear to be drawn with crayon to create this soothing abstract. Great design for drapes, bedding or table linens. Grass green, spring green and light blue on pure white.
marimekko19973987268516vg4.jpg

Puutarha Pink
Designed by Kristina Isola Marimekko
An impressionist garden in greens from lime to teal, pinks and orange on a white background. Also available in oil cloth.
marimekko19977061335516lg7.jpg

Nuppu

Designed by Maija Louekari 2008 MARIMEKKO
Large abstract seed pods in black with circles of bright pink, yellow blue and gray in the background.
marimekko19955374157616nk3.jpg

Kevatjuhla Green
Designed by Marjaana Virtu MARIMEKKO
A herd of cattle outlined in black on a bright lime green background.
marimekko20001317503816iq0.jpg

Tatar Green
Design by Fujiwo Ishimoto 1994 MARIMEKKO
Very large leaves up to 20 inches long in 3 shades of green, teal, sage and olive on white semi sheer linen. This loose weave has all the slubs and nubs of natural linen. Suitable for draperies.
marimekko20001490314416fu4.jpg

Yksinolla Black
Designed by Marjaana Virtu MARIMEKKO 2008
Large abstract adds drama as a wall hanging or drapes.
marimekko19951018649116pf8.jpg

Matkalla Maalle Blue
Designed by Teresa Moorhouse MARIMEKKO
Bands of color ranging in size from 1/4 inch ti 8 inches in width. Some striated, others solid combine to fluid waves of color. Wonderful curtain fabric. Navy to pale blue and ochre
marimekko19958058061316bg3.jpg

Pelimanni Black

Designed by Iiro A Ahokas MARIMEKKO
Ribbons up to 1.5" wide meet in the center and twist and turn to create this graphic design. You get about 2 "bunches" in a yard. Black on white.
store.txtlart

The fabrics that have colours mentioned are avaliable in different colourways, there are a few more, so the selection here are just ones I randomly picked:flower:

This is by the Cristobal Balenciaga himself
It looks like the crinkled fabric, no?
I wonder how it was originally made
Not that high technology back then ^_^

[Whitakerauction]

That looks like it was completely smocked. I'll upload what I'm talking about later.

Looking forward to seeing it, educo ! :heart:

maryvstone Love the hand-painted like prints especially
watercolours :crush:

--

here's Aino-Maija Metsola's
looks great :bunny:

marimekk1np2.jpg

store.txtlart

Hey Guis,

Here is a pic of the smocking I was telling you about. It is out of a book called, The Art of Manipulating Fabric and it has a chapter on smocking techniques. This is the one that comes closest to what I think is being done with the Balenciaga one. Now, there are tricks to the trade and so you can easily take time tested directions and skew it to come up with a new smocking design of your own and that is what i think Balenciaga did.

Here is a pic from the book. Here is a smocking sample for a project that I am working on.

Attachments

• DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    348.3 KB · Views: 10
Oh that book is awesome !! We have it at school. Some of the instrctions are kind of complicated though ^_^

Thanks for telling me
And for posting your sample especially
Really does look quite like it
gorgeous fabric too

Wha!!! Some of these are just way beyond beautiful, but I just fell in love with the ones on post #46.

gius i love that Aino-Maija Metsola print!! :wub:

beautiful :heart:
i just love the energy of the vibrant colors and the pattern..
it's floral and abstract at the same time..

so great! ^_^

Kate Barber (Canada)
img17331706ox8.jpg
katepinkstitchedchiffonmh0.jpg

detail for Marc le-Bihan
attachment.php

pagesmode;cabc.net, silkweavingstudio

i took this photo are from school
first-year class

we picked a random word from a box and
wove a fabric based on the word
using only white materials

Attachments

• DSCI0060.JPG
    DSCI0060.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCI0061.JPG
    DSCI0061.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 23
Sandy Chilewich - texture monochrome

chilewich.com
moderncraft.blogspot.com

In her New York based design studio, Sandy Chilewich continues to discover ways to push textiles beyond their comfortable and sometimes monotonous context.

....Sandy’s passion is finding underutilized, often overlooked manufacturing techniques, and from them produce fresh, modern textiles.
Over the past 10 years, Sandy has added spun and tufted vinyls to her collections; for Fall 08 she will introduce her first molded vinyl. Sandy prides herself on original design and strives to bring a fresh perspective to the table.

Plynyl, the commercial grade wall-to-wall and tile application, was developed by Sandy’s architect husband, Joe Sultan. They are now partners, with a corporate name change to Chilewich | Sultan, and manage all aspects of the business together. Chilewich | Sultan LLC is passionate about creating durable and easy to clean textiles, using the least amount of energy possible. Their award winning products are made in the USA and sold around the world.

In 1978 Sandy co-founded HUE, the women’s legwear company. HUE is credited with revolutionizing the legwear market through their innovation in design, packaging and merchandising. The company was sold in 1992 and continues to be a thriving brand in the hosiery world.
After HUE, she created her New York City based design studio and continued developing her fascination with textiles. RayBowl™, the first effort of her new studio, was introduced in November of 1997 and met with instant success. RayBowl™ is constructed from a metal frame covered with stretch netting typically found in lingerie. This design utilized a simple inventive mechanism for making concave fabric; a process for which the RayBowl™ has received a Mechanical and Utility patent as well as numerous awards.

Chilewich products are designed in New York, made primarily in the USA and sold around the world.

Attachments

• floor_shag.jpg
    floor_shag.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1
  • spec_napkin.jpg
    spec_napkin.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1
  • sandyChilewich_earth_story.jpg
    sandyChilewich_earth_story.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 2
Gius, I can't believe I never knew this thread existed. I love everything on here, a wealth of inspiration.

If any of you come to Tokyo you must stop by the Nuno store in Roppongi...you can actually buy those fabrics, it's textile heaven. :heart: :heart:

Gius, I can't believe I never knew this thread existed. I love everything on here, a wealth of inspiration.

If any of you come to Tokyo you must stop by the Nuno store in Roppongi...you can actually buy those fabrics, it's textile heaven. :heart: :heart:
glad you like it, melisande :P

any ideas on the prices at Nuno? :blush:
i would love to own some of their pieces...
i only have them a collection of photocopies from books...
-they used to sell it privately here, to architects & interior designers.. but apparently it didn't sell well so they stopped carrying it:unsure: Some of the works do seem more like art pieces that are hung on the wall, than as functional items but still...

glad you like it, melisande :P

any ideas on the prices at Nuno? :blush:
i would love to own some of their pieces...
i only have them a collection of photocopies from books...
-they used to sell it privately here, to architects & interior designers.. but apparently it didn't sell well so they stopped carrying it:unsure: Some of the works do seem more like art pieces that are hung on the wall, than as functional items but still...

Well...it's been a while since I last went, but if I remember correctly you can get textiles in the 50$/meter range, some less, some more in the 100$/meter range...:unsure:

http://www.nuno.com/Japanese/Originals/fabric.html

On this page you can find some beautiful examples...it's in Japanese but I guess you may be able to read their prices (per meter, in JPY). My memory seems to have been correct.

You can also check out the English site at www.nuno.com, though the site is less detailed than the Japanese. Apparantly they have dealers in California, Switzerland, and Australia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeybabe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->