The ‘Fashion Documentaries’ Thread

Barbara Kopple is a master documentarian. She goes in deep and knows how to get people to open up and be truthful about who they are. She’s not intimidated by anyone.

New documentary from Loic Prigent w/ Gaultier re: his mid 80's Constructivism collection. French w/ English subtitles. Incl'ed is quick glimpse of Margiela as one of the models. Definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of JPG and/or 80's fashion.

^Saw this some time back, and enjoyed it somewhat. It was obviously financed by Tiffany in some capacity and I wish they were less obvious about that. Because I really don't see how or why they went to hard on the Tiffany angle. Isnt it supposed to be about the magazine?

Edwina McCann for me is one of the best Vogue editors in the industry right now. Her and Angelica Cheung are the closest iterations of Anna we've seen. Ever.
We are just going through one of the most important shifts in fashion publishing right now which started about 10 years ago, and the way she has navigated the magazine so far is impressive. Not just the actual magazine, but reader initiatives and partnerships. Ignoring the occasional missteps (changing the art direction too often, the current disconnect of flossy pop stars on the cover but well-written content for women 40+ inside the magazine). Vogue under Edwina was the only magazine that fully embraced diversity in Australia. Everyone in the industry thought it was such a risky move because culturally Australia wasn't (isn't?) ready for yet. But here we are. Vogue Australia is just about the only fashion magazine of note in the country.
She was also ahead of the women in tech movement with Vogue Codes. And the way the magazine has consistently pushed for local designers, models, and retailers is impressive. I even recall John Lewis taking out a back cover ad once, something I've never seen them do before.

I've heard there are more CN fires (or shall we say, adjustments) coming soon. Hope she's not one of them.

^ lol, who's 3:16? so random (but I bet whoever she is, it made her day)

I'm looking forward to that series.. but I think my expectations are irrationally based on 1995's Catwalk and I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

I 'saw' (as in, left it on while I worked on something else) Wonder Boy yesterday. There's just something so trite about it.. the moment he's like 'I need to find my biological parents', I rolled my eyes at Netflix's now predictable plots (sort of like the murder plots they always plug into any thirst trap series) with an unnecessary touch of trashy reality tv.. they really abandoned the documentary ship 5 minutes into the film, and fashion (the whole reason this guy is known and one would be compelled to click on this) becomes secondary to the 'Olivier searching for his biological parents' story. I know there isn't much depth about Balmain (or the area of fashion he's in!) but it don't help to juxtapose it with something as existential as the question of origin and reject. In a way, it kind of portrays him as vapid and ungrateful despite the 'journey' of the plot to bring him to that realisation towards the end. Also, he's either in desperate need of therapy, or he prolonged the tears for the cameras when he's told his mother was 14.. or I'm just too cynical. :mellow:

I rather like Grace Mirabella's take on Polly Mellen :lol:, but let's see in which direction this documentary takes us.

1995's Catwalk is awful...we can only improve from there! Excited to see this new documentary.

Catwalk is not at all vapid compared to Wonderboy, one of the most boring films I've seen this year...like the most overlong, awfully insipid and pompous Keeping Up With The Kardashians episode from hell. The crying spells, the Garbo-esque posturing of his, the way he parades himself like his Coco Chanel reincarnated all the while portraying the least sympathetic poor little orphan in film history. To add insult to injury, his face is really hard to look at, having disfigured himself so hideously, the true tragedy of this movie is that he payed to have that done to him!

I'm the one in need of therapy after subjecting myself to such torture, something's clearly wrong with me.

^ lol, who's 3:16? so random (but I bet whoever she is, it made her day)

I'm looking forward to that series.. but I think my expectations are irrationally based on 1995's Catwalk and I'm just setting myself up for disappointment.

I 'saw' (as in, left it on while I worked on something else) Wonder Boy yesterday. There's just something so trite about it.. the moment he's like 'I need to find my biological parents', I rolled my eyes at Netflix's now predictable plots (sort of like the murder plots they always plug into any thirst trap series) with an unnecessary touch of trashy reality tv.. they really abandoned the documentary ship 5 minutes into the film, and fashion (the whole reason this guy is known and one would be compelled to click on this) becomes secondary to the 'Olivier searching for his biological parents' story. I know there isn't much depth about Balmain (or the area of fashion he's in!) but it don't help to juxtapose it with something as existential as the question of origin and reject. In a way, it kind of portrays him as vapid and ungrateful despite the 'journey' of the plot to bring him to that realisation towards the end. Also, he's either in desperate need of therapy, or he prolonged the tears for the cameras when he's told his mother was 14.. or I'm just too cynical. :mellow:

Is wonderboy presented as a « fashion movie « on Netflix?
It’s genuine question as I haven’t log on to Netflix in a longtime.
Here in France it was always presented as a documentary about the journey.

I really loved the movie when it came up mainly because I had the context thanks to the interviews of the director and Olivier . I don’t think anybody asked for this so it was kinda good to have that context.

I rather like Grace Mirabella's take on Polly Mellen :lol:, but let's see in which direction this documentary takes us.
You got me interested! Is there a documentary I didn’t watched?

I think that someone needs to do a documentary on editors/stylists. Their stories are definitely more interesting I believe!
I mean, we deserve a documentary on Carlyne! She is TV/Film gold!

^ it's presented as a documentary, but I felt like I watched reality tv :lol:.. just some dense emotional content to give direction to an occupation or field (fashion) they deem glossy enough to be filmed, but insufficient to carry a film on its own.

You got me interested! Is there a documentary I didn’t watched?

I think that someone needs to do a documentary on editors/stylists. Their stories are definitely more interesting I believe!
I mean, we deserve a documentary on Carlyne! She is TV/Film gold!
I think he’s referencing her opinion in the « in vogue: the editor’s eye » documentary!
I agree on the bolded; they always have something interesting to say and I loved hearing them talk about their favorite work:wub:

1995's Catwalk is awful...we can only improve from there! Excited to see this new documentary.

Catwalk is not at all vapid compared to Wonderboy, one of the most boring films I've seen this year...like the most overlong, awfully insipid and pompous Keeping Up With The Kardashians episode from hell. The crying spells, the Garbo-esque posturing of his, the way he parades himself like his Coco Chanel reincarnated all the while portraying the least sympathetic poor little orphan in film history. To add insult to injury, his face is really hard to look at, having disfigured himself so hideously, the true tragedy of this movie is that he payed to have that done to him!

I'm the one in need of therapy after subjecting myself to such torture, something's clearly wrong with me.
it's not awful! it accidentally captures a whole era in fashion and the much simpler 90s (for those of us who were children then and have no idea how adults were.. adults then).. the aim was models but it ends up conveying a lot more. I can't imagine a documentary or series, with the same theme but filmed now, achieving that same notion of a more romantic time in fashion and even society (the affluent and more certain 90s), and nostalgia I guess.. because it will have to be through reminiscence.. narrated, as opposed to Catwalk, which was filmed in present time, so the viewer is fully immersed, not interrupted as with the formant of flashbacks. Add to that the fact that a flashback has to repeatedly bring you back to present time and that present time is so desolating in fashion these days and yeah.. it's going to be a tough one, but still intrigued!

Honestly, I don't want to be too cruel but the footage of Olivier eating takeout alone at home, or saying that no one's liked his picture on some dating app or that he said bonjour to a guy at the gym.. it just makes fashion design seem so damn depressing.. but I know it's not exclusive of that occupation, it's the type of people who become their occupation, that's what's depressing. An inexplicable emotional void and 'who the f am I' crisis is guaranteed with that mindset and no search for origins will fix that.. just.. pick up some sport, dude, go get a life on Saturdays like the rest of your co-workers.. being always at work, always working, always talking about work, working in your sleep... so 21 year-old intern, you gotta mature a bit and move on from such a servant mentality.

Last edited:
I watched the film as someone who's skeptical towards Rousteing. I saw him as someone who was taking on that party "balmain army" image. His english-language interviews weren't doing him anyway favors.

There is one moment in the film where he questions the contrast between his image and his nice-normal family. It's very fleeting however. Does he "get it"?

I enjoyed the scenes in his home with his eating by himself. It looks like his persona has the by product effect of keeping him lonely.

I do think he was genuinely upset over that horrific news that the state social worker was breaking to him.

I think he should be spending a lot more time with his family in Burgundy. They'll help keep him grounded.

Not exactly a documentary, but Disney+ (of all networks!) commissioned a drama series based on the life of Karl Lagerfeld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->