The ‘Fashion Documentaries’ Thread

For anyone in the UK (not sure where anyone outside the UK will be able to watch), there's a brilliant upon brilliant BBC documentary entitled 'The Mysterious Mr Lagerfeld' which is a fascinating watch:

With unique access to Karl Lagerfeld’s inner circle - many having never spoken publically before - and his beloved cat, this film opens up the extraordinary world of the man known as Kaiser Karl.

BBC.CO.UK

Tons of archival footage and interviews from various friends of Karl Lagerfeld (including Carine Roitfeld, Colombe Pringle, Brad Kroenig and Sébastien Jondeau to name a few).

A 10/10 from me after watching!

I thought it was pretty good as well, @vogue28. Karl's neighbour was the true breakout star of the documentary!

tumblr_9c208dbe39731c5d4d556db5f5f71e0c_cadee601_1280.jpg

my cap

I loved Karl’s documentary but at the same time there’s so much to unpack from his life that 10 documentaries can be done.

‘For some reasons I’m not excited about a Supermodels documentary. We have seen them a lot but I guess they needs to tell their stories.

This is going to be legendary. The Super Models premieres September 20. https://apple.co/_TheSuperModels Hailing from Imagine Documentaries and One Story Up and directed by Academy Award winner Roger Ross Williams and Larissa Bills, the four-part series spotlights the remarkable careers of Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington. Unprecedented access to the models takes viewers behind the camera and beyond the catwalk, revealing how they dominated the elite modeling world while illuminating a bond that single-handedly shifted the power dynamic of an entire industry. “The Super Models” travels back to the 1980s, when four women from different corners of the world united in New York. Already forces in their own right, the gravitas they achieved by coming together transcended the industry itself. Their prestige was so extraordinary that it enabled the four to supersede the brands they showcased, making the names Naomi, Cindy, Linda and Christy as prominent as the designers who styled them. Today, the four supermodels remain on the frontlines of culture through activism, philanthropy and business prowess. As the fashion industry continues to redefine itself — and women’s roles within it — this is the ultimate story of power and how four women came together to claim it, paving the way for those to follow.

Source: Apple TV

^WOWWWW thank you sooo much !!! I had no idea, the media did not talk about it. I will watch this !!! thank youuuuu vogue28

I just finished THE SUPER MODELS. WOW I LOVED EVERY SECOND

^ I just watched all 4 episodes and it was AMAZING !!!!!!! Very nice
- Linda was as emotional as I thought she would be.
- Cindy was a slightly combative I thought ahahah but oh so professional as I fully expected her to be.
- Christy, honestly I didn't know about how she felt about her long Calvin contract.
- Naomi was lol quite delusional in some of her answers but quite likeable.

I want a second season of this ahahah.

Speaking of which: former British Vogue editor speaks her mind again about the supermodels:

The supermodels and me by ALEXANDRA SHULMAN: Cindy Crawford's girl-next-door looks sold the most magazines, Naomi Campbell's notoriety made her more covetable, Christy Turlington knew how to party and Linda Evangelista could make anything look like Chanel | Daily Mail Online

Source: the Daily Mail.

^What really dissapointed me that they had Carine Roitfeld and Meisel for the promo photos and not a single word of them.

Also, it was a missed oportunity to get Anna when she and american Vogue helped to create the imaginary of the super models. Also, no Jonathan van Meter? he profiled them for Vogue and that’s where Linda’s (in)famous quote came from.

About the promo pictures, now I’m so dissapointed that Anna and Edward couldn’t get Meisel to shot the cover.

I just finished watching The Supermodels & it was a great binge. It made me very nostalgic for the 80’s & 90’s & what a great time it was - one didn’t have to be a supermodel to have had a great time.
I found Cindy & Naomi a tad disingenuous with their claims about the era. Christy came across very well balanced & I love her style. I really felt for Linda because she has learnt some hard lessons on her journey.
But ultimately their individual beauty was astonishing & I loved fashion magazines back then because of them.

Another model-related documentary for us... Donyale Luna: Supermodel coming to HBO September 13:
I have just watched Donyale Luna : Supermodel.
It was wonderful & heartbreaking at the same time. I highly recommend to anyone who loves fashion & misses the art of fashion :heartexclamation:

I'm watching the Donyale Luna documentary right now, there's something a bit disingenuous about all those "fashion professionals" pretending to not know who she is though. Or maybe they really didn't know about her. I don't know. Pre-internet, I guess.

Has anyone watched Kingdom of Dreams yet? It's a four-episode documentary series by Misfits, who were also behind the 2018 documentary film "McQueen". It was released a year and a half ago, but I hadn't heard of it until it popped up in my HBO Max feed (I'm in The Netherlands). I'm two episodes in and it gives quite an exciting and discerning peak into the tycoon rivalry between Arnault and Pinault and their almost violent approach to building luxury empires, squeezing their stable of designer talent (McQueen, Galliano, Ford, Jacobs) to the brink along the way. It features insider perspectives from the likes of Tim Blanks, Domenico de Sole, Amanda Harlech, Stephen Jones, Jeanne Baker, etc - recalling the rise and fall of these designers as the multi-billion dollar conglomerates built a new fashion landscape in the 90s and zeroes. It's quite an interesting watch, not in the last place for the rare archival footage and rush of nostalgia for an era that's blown up to mythical proportions in our collective minds...a true kingdom of dreams, one might say.

Has anyone watched Kingdom of Dreams yet? It's a four-episode documentary series by Misfits, who were also behind the 2018 documentary film "McQueen". It was released a year and a half ago, but I hadn't heard of it until it popped up in my HBO Max feed (I'm in The Netherlands). I'm two episodes in and it gives quite an exciting and discerning peak into the tycoon rivalry between Arnault and Pinault and their almost violent approach to building luxury empires, squeezing their stable of designer talent (McQueen, Galliano, Ford, Jacobs) to the brink along the way. It features insider perspectives from the likes of Tim Blanks, Domenico de Sole, Amanda Harlech, Stephen Jones, Jeanne Baker, etc - recalling the rise and fall of these designers as the multi-billion dollar conglomerates built a new fashion landscape in the 90s and zeroes. It's quite an interesting watch, not in the last place for the rare archival footage and rush of nostalgia for an era that's blown up to mythical proportions in our collective minds...a true kingdom of dreams, one might say.

i loved this miniseries. it's dramatised to hell but absolute heaven for nerds like us. i urge everyone to watch it. it's based heavily on dana thomas' books (gods and kings and how luxury lost its lustre)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->