The Clinique Make-up Thread

ellastica

Reaction score
Is anyone else super duper excited about the 're-launch' of Almost Lipstick/ Black Honey spin-off? I was a huge fan of Almost Lipstick in the 90s and wore my beloved, long DC'd Bronze Lilac everyday in high school ( I wore it for my senior photos). I usually stash the Superbalm Moisturizing Lip gloss in my purse and altho i wish it was a tad bit more hydrating it's still a staple for me ( the pigmentation is great while still being sheer ) . I loved the texture of the LE Black Honey lip balm stick/ gloss w/applicator wand duo but it was just too awkward to carry around in my pocket.

How gorgeous are these colors?!? I'm going to pop into Macy's tomorrow to check out all the new shades altho based on online swacthes i'm the most jazzed about the Chic Honey shade. ( Black Honey pulls orangey, coppery on me).

IMG_5257.jpg

source: rougedeluxe.blogspot

Well I dropped by Macy's after work to test drive the CLINIQUE Chic Honey but wasn't blown away. The CLINIQUE SA scraped off a gob from the top of the bullet using the stick part of a Q-tip so application was awkward and not the same as applying the color from the tube. and i had forgotten that the lighting at Macy's is sh*te so I did not get a true picture of color intensity. I'll probably just end up going to Nordies on a day off during the day to see how the color/undertones wears after 'mellowing out' and mingling with my natural lip color.

Of course this blogger makes it look amazing:
Clinique_Almost_Lipstick_Chic_Honey%25255B3%25255D.jpg

coralandmauve.at

Clinique_Almost_Lipstick_Chic_Honey_Swatch%25255B7%25255D.jpg

coralandmauve.at

Clinique_Almost_Lipstick_Chic_Honey_Tragebild%25255B3%25255D.jpg

coralandmauve.at

Here's the original "universally flattering" Black Honey:

Picture-115.png

rtroncampus.com

I am so sorry but the black honey color looks kind of outdated.

I am a huge fan of their skin care products but Clinique's makeup is quite average. I mostly use the makeup that comes in their gift with purchase. Their eyeshadows are very very pigmented and smooth texture. But the lipsticks they give out are usually pretty bad colors, same goes for the blushes..... Recently tried out their mascara that comes with a tiny wand to elongate lashes but it clumped my lashes real bad. I wish they made their Lash Doubling mascara in a formula that does not smudge cause the look was very nice.

^ Well that shade has been around since like the 70s; what it lacks in modernity it makes up in sheer longevity, pun intended :rolleyes: The Almost Lipstick in Black Honey does not suit me so I prefer the Superbalm as it goes on more sheer/ less orangey. I remember the exact moment in 1997 when my cousin's glamorous girlfriend introduced me to the shade.

Black Honey is the lippie equivalent of their Dramatically Different lotion, aka dramatically out-dated and embarrassingly not cutting-edge. It always strikes me as odd when a company so proudly declares that the formulations of their best-selling this and that hasn't been changed for the past half a century as if that's really the best for the skin!

I found some of CLINIQUE's face creams to be quite harsh altho I do love their Liquid Facial Soap extra mild cleanser.

I've held onto my mum's ancient Clinique Starstruck eyeshadow from the early 90s. The line and certain products like Almost Lipstick have a very strong emotional pull and sentimental value for me; I cherish the memories attached to certain products :heart:

Altho I must say Clinique has the worst GWP. But I like millions of other women can't help but be drawn to miniature make-up like a moth to a flame. But man mini lipglosses are a godsend for the jean pocket!

Never had much luck with the rest of the color line but I have used their foundations and powders which worked well enough but not enough to keep going back. There's one sparkly forest green tube mascara i keep around just cuz the tube is so pretty to look at. and of course those shockingly simple yet hypnotic Irving Penn Clinique adverts are ingrained in my cosmetics psyche!

Just for kicks old-school CLINIQUE Glosswear packaging and comparison swatches:

Clinique+Black+Honey+Gloss+Pot+Original.JPG

Clinique+Black+Honey+Gloss+Pot+Lip+Duo+comparison.JPG

source: getlippie.blogspot

I don't get the hype around Black Honey :ninja:. I too think its an outdated shade. And only looks best on those with a darker skin tone.

And I've always wondered is the Almost Lipstick line part lipstick and lip balm or part lipstick and lip gloss?

black honey almost lipstick is the only lip product i've ever bought from clinique. i love it.

has anyone tried the new clinique BB cream?

Last edited by a moderator:
lucy92, i think i sampled shade 2 in that BB cream and wasn't thrilled by it. the color, as with many of the BB creams I've seen and tried are very orange which strikes me as very odd given that the trend originated in Asia. also it is very absorbent i.e. hard to blend. the coverage was ok as with most tinted products but the color is so orange it's best that is more on the sheer side. It seems most BB creams are geared toward oil/combo acne prone skin so finding a more cushion-y, blendable, moisturizing formula might be tricky. Dr Jart silver label was the only one i've tried that felt more like silky moisturzier but that lent a gray-ish, pink cast on my skin :ermm:

I've recently started using clinique superpowder double face powder and I really love it! Much better than their anti-blemish and even better makeup liquid foundations.Their mascaras are absolutely awful though

New for Spring 2013 (makeup4all.com:(

Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes ($16/£16) are finally here! And these are promised to be lightweight, creamy, long-wearing and versatile.

There are twelve shades: nudes and browns, greens, pinks and purples, also blues and grey.

They are already out in the US and will be out in UK/EU in February.

by Laura Pitcher
Jan. 30, 2023

TikTok's Favorite Clinique Black Honey Lipstick Dupe Is Only $5

In 2021, Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey took over TikTok. Already known by beauty lovers as a cult classic from the ’90s, the shade went so viral that it sold out for months across Sephora, Ulta, and even the Clinique website. Since then, demand for the lipstick has only continued to gain momentum, with the hashtag #BlackHoney having over 220 million views on TikTok and #CliniqueBlackHoney having almost 200 million.

As with all viral TikTok products, there have been a number of dupes posted by creators that give a similar glossy, berry-tinted pigment, including e.lf. cosmetics Black Cherry Lipstick. The latest trending dupe, however, comes at the low price of only $5. Over the past month, creators have found Covergirl Clean Fresh Tinted Lip Balm in Bliss You Berry, and have named it as the best Black Honey dupe. “They look exactly the same,” said one creator in a review of the dupe. “I tried many dupes but it’s still the one I like best,” commented another creator.

Clinique Black Honey was first launched in 1971 and is a balanced calibration of blue, red, and yellow pigments resulting in a sheer berry shade that looks nearly black in the tube, but applies like a balm with a healthy, your-lips-but-better finish. At launch, it was an instant success. In fact, it’s their number one selling lipstick, and one tube of Black Honey is sold every minute. The color has been a staple of the Clinique brand and has even inspired a gloss, a blush, and an eyeshadow palette to date.

While there will always be Clinique Black Honey purists, those looking to avoid the $23 price tag will welcome the drugstore alternative. However, just like Black Honey, its virality is making it harder to get your hands on the popular dupe. The shade is already sold out on Amazon, but is still available at Walgreens (for a slightly higher price). Needless to say, you’re going to want to run—don’t walk—to your closest drugstore to get you hands on this balm.

This blurry image was posted along with the article but was not credited. I have no idea who this person is.
Maybe the "author" who failed attribute any information nor contact anyone from Clinique but did credit "another creator".
Yay internet "journalism."

1d84d2fa-eb15-4f30-82d5-0277e310e5d4-screen-shot-2023-01-30-at-123956-pm.png

nylon.com

Meet The $5 Clinique Black Honey Lipstick Dupe

Is this the best dupe?

POSTED 6 months ago BY RAVINDER KAUR

If you haven't heard yet, Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey is this season's rising star in beauty. After amassing a huge following of Gen Z users thanks to several TikTok influencers who swore by the berry-toned balm, the product has been on backorder for months.

The soft, gloss-like lipstick was first introduced in 1971 as a pot-packaged balm product and later reintroduced in 1898 as what we know now as Clinique's Almost Lipstick, packaged in a sleek long tube. Staunch users of the lipstick across all generations and icons such as Liv Tyler helped propel the lipstick into widespread popularity.

Clinique's Black Honey effortlessly blends into one's natural lip color, enhancing your lip look for a 'my lips but better' finish. Currently, the hashtag #CliniqueBlackHoney has over 200 million views on TikTok.

As with all viral beauty products, there have been several affordable dupes posted by creators that give a similar finish. The latest trending dupe comes at a low price of only $5. Over the past month, beauty influencers have found and named the Covergirl Clean Fresh Tinted Lip Balm in Bliss You Berry as the best Black Honey dupe.

Covergirl's moisturizing vegan lip balm contains nourishing ingredients such as apricot kernel oil, shea butter, mango seed butter, and vitamin C. The lightweight tinted lip balm leaves your lips feeling moisturized without being sticky or greasy. Those looking to avoid the $23 price tag will welcome the drugstore alternative. However, just like Black Honey, its virality is making it harder to get your hands on the dupe.

No image credit again. But appears to be screencaps of Tiktok video.
Clinique-Black-Honey-Lipstick-Dupe.jpg

fizzymag.com

Last edited:
I own 6 tubes of the COVERGIRL Clean Fresh Tinted Lip Balm in Bliss You Berry. It's a gorgeous blackberry shade with a slightly warm, (orangey) undertone but would not call this a DUPE. Bliss You Berry is less amber-y,maple brown which I disliked about the OG Black Honey. Bliss You Berry is more neutral; has a hint of warmth, doesn't lean overly blue nor catch on dry lip patches. I do recommend this product but the Cover Girl is not a Dupe for the Clinique Black Honey. I think it's better!

I haven't been able to think about Clinque without sadness since they discontinued their brown Naturally Glossy Mascara.:loudlycrying:

I've never actually used tried their mascara except once I did buy a tube c 2014 just for the beautiful turquoise tube!

Clinique Chubby Lash

clinique-chubby-lash.png
musingsofamuse.com

Me wearing CG Bliss You Berry, heavily applied. The purported Black Honey dupe.
The lighting in my bathroom is freakishly yellow and unflattering.
Did some photo editing to get the color truer to real life.

IMG_3767.jpeg
my snap

^ looks cute! my sister and one of my friends swear by that lipstick and were upset when it first went viral and they couldn't find it anywhere anymore. I've been curious but just not enough to get it.. I'm kind of psychotic with my '3 dots of Revlon's Wine w/ everything + 2 dots of Chanel's Rouge Coco in Alive + rub with finger left and right'. I could probably achieve the same stain finish with that Clinique lipstick but I'm just too far gone lol.

I kind of want to try that Elf one for the gym (I do like a tinted lipstick if I'm going to walk around town looking like a tomato) but it appears that one is now harder to come by than the Clinique one!

My former boss gave me Clinique's High Impact mascara years ago because I kept getting irritated with pretty much every mascara I tried. And surprise.. it didn't make any difference, I still kept getting some crazy reactions if I happened to touch my eye a bit during the day. I've been using La Roche Posay's Toleriane for some time now and love it.. it's very gentle but does a good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->