the Fashion Spot in the News ... Clippings, Snippets & Mentions

Bullies? It's a discussion forum, not a fan board.

But yes, disgusted to see the board associated with the always negative and repulsive Daily Fail.

It's good though, tfs lost a lot of traffics these months, negative campaigning can help some.

'The make-up doesn't suit her... needs someone with cheekbones!!'

:lol:. Oh Gossiping.

that was just lazy "journalism" (and I'm being charitable here...anyone else spot some non-proofreading parts in that thing?). There are plenty of other boards where KJ is dragged through the mud. Someone just decided they'd source it from tfs and use a clearly obvious thread to pick. Her own model ID thread shows more varied opinion and some of them, now get ready to clutch your pearls, are supportive. it was bad writing and unfortunately linked tfs with it.

I'm not fond of the styling at all, but I completely welcome the sight of someone so new on the cover of a fashion magazine.

This quote--cropped as I recall through the 'but' and with no ellipsis!--appears in print on the US Elle Daisy Ridley cover feedback page, credited to tigerrouge on TheFashionSpot.com.

Susie Lau (Blogger Susie Bubble) interviewed by Vogue. She's still here ... and paying attention member's comments about the shows!

Source: vogue.com
..... I’m always trolling through comments on Instagram and Twitter after a show, or on the The Fashion Spot, because that’s a really honest barometer, and you’re always really surprised how different those opinions are from what you just saw, what you’ve discussed with other people who saw it too.

The Fashion Spot is an honest barometer?

It’s unfiltered. It’s looking for faults, rather than fishing for positives. It’s that detachment element. I think front-on pics are the most unhelpful indication of what a collection looks like, they say nothing to me. Those in person experiences are really important. How does that connect with the see-now-buy-now? You’re relying on an audience to see-now-buy-now from quite static imagery. Does that convey the true essence of that piece?
Read the entire interview, here: http://www.vogue.com/13459706/future-of-fashion-shows-susie-lau/

^ Interesting. I think she's right that on tFS there's a lot of "looking for faults," and personally I'm not too crazy about that. However, there's a huge audience here for the live feed. Video's not perfect either, especially if it's not smooth, but it shows how the clothes move. A lot of comments here are based on the video.

One thing I've noticed is that if you just look at the posted images in the thread rather than the entire show, that edit can really make a difference in the opinion you come away with--for better or worse, depending on the edit.

I remember comments here from someone who'd been at a Marc Jacobs show that I thought was one of his poorer collections, but apparently the excitement had been electric, and he came away with a great impression of the collection. I think the live buzz can also lead to an inaccurate impression of the clothes themselves.

^That's true, but on the other hand I feel like this 'looking for faults' comes from the übersweetness of the press. If the reviews were honest, we wouldn't be as demanding and harsh as we are now. Now TFS is like that kind of things that can keep you in touch with reality. I really blame the journalists, they're mainly too scared to write some true opinions because they won't get an invitation or something like that. Here we have nothing to lose.

^ Agreed, there are really pretty much two honest (professional) reviewers in the entire fashion world. I think the discussion degrades from honesty to negativity pretty often though.

Susie wouldn't even be at these shows if it weren't for the fashion spot, pretty funny.

^That's true, but on the other hand I feel like this 'looking for faults' comes from the übersweetness of the press. If the reviews were honest, we wouldn't be as demanding and harsh as we are now. Now TFS is like that kind of things that can keep you in touch with reality. I really blame the journalists, they're mainly too scared to write some true opinions because they won't get an invitation or something like that. Here we have nothing to lose.

Amen.

I've been a member long enough to remember Susie's honest feedback when she posted here, and now her a$$ kissing/clear bias since she's become friends with designers -- A lot of tFSers have called her on it, especially last season when it clearly got worse, and perhaps this is her way of snipping back.

And piss off Susie, even journalists hate on collections. If Horyn ever gave Slimane a good review I'd drop dead. -- With HQ videos and pictures sitting 15th row at a fashion show where models zip down a runway can't help you experience the clothes that much more.

^You know, after the show she (or anybody else) can post somewhere in the internet 'Oh, I was @that show, so cool' (which means 'now I'm too posh for front-on pics because I have tons of crappy insta pics'). Who cares if they were sitting 20th row. It's that fake attitude and I wouldn't have any problem with that, but imo she said that TFS is irrelevant because we can't see the clothes irl. That's the problem, it's like ignoring any opinion just because it's not positive and looking for any reason just to show that we shouldn't review anything because we don't have enough knowledge.

Some of you may be misinterpreting what she said ... at least whoWhatWear thinks it's much more positive than that. She was quoted by them and they checked her blog and found more info that Susie had posted about tFS: http://www.whowhatwear.com/best-fashion-show-reviews-the-fashion-spot

The No-BS Place to Find Authentic Fashion Show Reviews

.... In fact, on her blog, Susie mentions that she stumbled upon tFS, as insiders refer to it, while searching for Parisian vintage shops. The invite-only fashion forum also helped her attract followers when she decided to launch Style Bubble. "I suppose I was a little lucky in that I was posting regularly on the forum The Fashion Spot and so when I started a blog, I had some readers who found me through the forum," she writes.

The Fashion Spot launched in 2001 and is known by insiders for its stats-packed diversity reports and buzzy forums filled with a plethora of information from show reviews to rumblings about which designer is headed to which fashion house next.

When asked if tFS is an honest barometer, Lau tells Vogue, "It’s unfiltered. It’s looking for faults, rather than fishing for positives. It’s that detachment element."

While the forum's threads are open for all to read, only those who get accepted have the chance to sound off about collections, models, ads, and everything in between, so long as it's related to fashion. Looks like we know where we'll looking to for next season's show reviews.

Looks like they see her comment as being positive towards our opinions ...

Yeah, I didn't understand her comment as putting down tFS.

I think what she says is true.. for the most part. In the same way a picture in average quality won't do artwork enough justice even when it's flat and it only calls for front view (meaning there are no back shots..). That type of touch-and-feel store and showroom intimacy, however, doesn't get particularly better in the format in which fashion presents collections either, in a 13-minute show of passing models instead of, say, a bi-annual fair.

What does conflict in a much larger scale in the accuracy of a collection is what she's kind of talking about, fishing for good because you attended or interests might be compromised. That type of pollution in commentary and journalism is far more problematic than people using online material as a source of information. Instead of misinterpreting a piece that might be completely different in real life, it manipulates it into something that accommodates the professional ambition, business interests, servility, gratitude (for having been invited!) or momentary excitement (for having been invited too) of the person reporting.

That has proved to be far more damaging in the long run than the few outlets for people to express constructive and destructive criticism. Fashion these days allows minimal questioning, less so than it did only 10-15 years ago, not just limited to design itself, but the concepts in which design is sold (shows, campaigns, stories), the people making it, the messages about society that it sends out irresponsibly on a regular basis. Journalists operate as just society column type of reporters, and the amount of bloggers, usually less anchored to corporation expectations, are more interested in dressing up and getting their image around and describing how exciting it all was just to renew access and privilege.

Personally, I don't really remember her posts here.. I remember seeing her lurk around but she primarily posted in the WAYWT thread. The only time I didn't have time for tFS (so much I remember it lol) was from late 2005 to mid 2006... when I came back, we had some pretty large and odd crowds either into thinspiration or posting their mirror reflection and complimenting others' outfits. She was in the latter. I never really saw much of her (or anyone else that came primarily to promote themselves in these platforms) in discussions. I'm sure tFS was of great help but I still wonder about the other way around... since we eventually turned this private and close these two "temples" (weight and WAYWT)... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last spring ... just found it now:

From the Business of Fashion
//www.businessoffashion.com/community/voices/discussions/why-isnt-the-fashion-industry-more-diverse/between-the-catwalk-and-the-consumer-fashions-growing-diversity-gap-2:

In February, The Fashion Spot published a report on the four fashion weeks for Autumn/Winter 2015, which found a similar divide, with non-white models making up only 20 percent of all catwalk appearances.

White models also dominate editorial coverage and advertising campaigns. In Fashionista’s round up of 2015’s ‘September Issues’ — widely regarded as the most important issue of the year for fashion magazines — only 12 of the 41 covers featured men or women of colour and racially diverse cover stars were predominantly celebrities rather than models. Last year, just under 20 percent of fashion magazine covers featured models of colour, according to data collected by The Fashion Spot. Diversity was most lacking in fashion advertising, with white models making up almost 85 percent of those cast in campaigns, according to another report by The Fashion Spot.

BoF about tFS

Business of Fashion writes about tFS Forum!

Source : businessoffashion.com

Why Fashion Forums Still Matter

In the age of Instagram and Snapchat, forums may seem like antiquated artefacts of a bygone era, but fashion needs them more than ever, argues Susanna Lau.

PARIS, France — There’s something about the anonymity (and notoriety) afforded by avatars, the moderators chiming in with reminders of posting rules, the threads of discussion that can go on for pages and pages with back-and-forth replies. Welcome to the somewhat subterranean world of fashion’s Internet forums. In the age of Instagram and Snapchat, they may seem like antiquated artefacts of the late 1990s or early 2000s. But fashion needs them more than ever.

The grain of the conversation on Internet forums like The Fashion Spot — which began in 2001 and contains a trove of nearly 10 million posts — is often frank, no-holds barred and pointedly critical of the industry. That’s because members aren’t beholden to their IRL identities. In a forum, you can truly be anonymous and express the sort of unfiltered opinions that are sorely lacking in the general discourse in a fashion world still dominated by big brands.

For years, I was an active member of The Fashion Spot (TFS, for short), which remains the go-to hub for discussion on everything from fashion schools to the cut of a Hedi Slimane-era Dior Homme jacket (when I first joined, the obsession for Slimane on TFS was strong). Eugene Rabkin, who went on to found Style Zeitgeist — one of the more progressive fashion forums, which celebrates its 10th anniversary this year — was also a member.

“I joined The Fashion Spot because it was there that, for the first time, I found people with whom I could talk about fashion I liked, which was mostly Belgian and Japanese, came with a genuine cultural connection and was not mainstream,” explains Rabkin. By day, he was working on Wall Street “unhappy and meaningless” and disconnected from his true passion.

“I did not know anyone in my so-called real life with whom I could discuss the relationship between Ann Demeulemeester's clothes and rock music, or the intricacies of cut at Comme des Garçons. I was impressed by the knowledge and passion of some of the TFS members, and I think that feeling was quickly reciprocated once I started posting on there,” he says.

“A person’s thoughts and opinions are the currency of forums, not selfies.”

I, too, felt like TFS provided me with a community of like-minded people with whom I could discuss niche interests in the kinds of exchanges that couldn’t necessarily be replicated in real life. From posting on The Fashion Spot, my opinions became honed and gave me the confidence to start my own blog: Style Bubble.

One of the things that makes forums fascinating is the degree of depth and specificity to the discussions, something that is missing from mainstream media publications as well as fast-paced social media platforms. The Purse Forum, which has over half a million members, has entire threads dedicated to the rivets on a certain designer bag and the friction this causes with clothing. Similarly on TFS, there are threads dedicated to niche topics like 1990s-era Prada advertising campaigns or what exactly a sittings editor at a magazine does.

In contrast to the comments on Instagram, which tend to be abbreviated or influenced by the visual nature of the platform, or even commentary on Twitter, where character length is limited, on forums you find discussions with the kind of depth that can’t be found elsewhere online. “Forums will always be a valuable source of information and discussion for people who want to go beyond fashion's surface, and those people will always exist,” says Rabkin. “The social media cater to the part of us that wants immediate and easy satisfaction. But at some point, a stratum of audience becomes dissatisfied with such superficiality.”

“Our forums are great for amassing and organising an archive of past collections, work and career moves of models, photographs, stylists and other things that researchers can use,” says a moderator from The Fashion Spot, who remains anonymous in keeping with the nature of the platform. The same moderator also cites the lack of imagery on forums as an instigator of discussion. “If you look at the ‘Fashion in Depth’ forum (on TFS) you will see almost no photos and there are real discussions going on about various topics. You can’t really do that on Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter and many of our members prefer the forums to other platforms for that reason,” the moderator continues. Forums are also less conducive to personal brand building: a person’s thoughts and opinions are the currency of forums, not selfies.

“Forums will always be a valuable source of information and discussion for people who want to go beyond fashion's surface.”

There’s also something reassuring about the unpolished nature of forums, where functionality overrides appearances. What they are facilitating is honest conversation. As a new season begins to take shape, new threads on collections are forming. But unlike the majority of what one sees on social media, the commentary on forums isn’t always music to designers’ ears. TFS member HeatherAnne, for instance, had this to say in a discussion thread about Milan’s collections: “Maybe it was Miuccia's depressing snoozefest of a collection that everyone was raving over as her best show of recent times [sigh] that helped me appreciate this Gucci collection even more.”

In a recent interview with Rabkin, Rick Owens enthuses about the argumentative and forthright nature of forums: “I think forums are great. It’s a weird thing to overhear a conversation about yourself. But the bottom line is that these people are really interested; they get the image and they get very opinionated and it turns into squabbles.”

Designers like Joseph Altuzarra and Dries van Noten have also publically acknowledged that they, like many in the industry, read fashion forums for honest feedback on their work. In the Spring 2013 print issue of Style.com, then-editor Dirk Standen says: “As one PR exec told me recently, the designers he works with are more interested to hear what the anonymous commenters on TheFashionSpot.com have to say about their collections than the mighty critics.”

“I absolutely think that the unfiltered quality of commentary in forums is valuable, because the mainstream fashion media are full of sycophants in advertisers' pockets, and you will never hear truth from them, because they will tell you that they love everything and that everything is amazing,” adds Rabkin.

“Forum members have nothing to lose; they are certainly not making money from fashion,” he continues. “Forums are an incredible source for honest criticism. It is true that you have to have a thick skin, because sometimes the criticism is brutal, but in turn the praise is honest and therefore truly deserved.”

Thanks for posting this. ^

Author is SUSANNA LAU ... AKA Susie Bubble, blogger, journalist and tFSer (although we don't see her around much any more, since she's a very busy person)!

Thank you Susie!!

Last edited by a moderator:
faust4life :lol: :heart: .. I still think he's been one of the biggest contributors to this place and really set the bar for many of us.. it's been 10 years but I still miss his posts around here. What he mentions about coming here and finding people with similar interests and well-informed ideas about it was even bigger for teenagers like myself, I don't think that actually impacted me so much (having been in other geeky forums and taking that for granted as a teenager) as much as it did seeing people like him question things so fiercely and openly and enforcing the idea of integrity in design, which in an industry that relies strongly on things like desire and status, it's so easy to turn that secondary. He found like-minded people but for those that were just kids really, it was a bit like going to school.

I tried to love SZ but that didn't work out so well.. HATED the people it attracted. Still happy to see its growth far beyond a forum while still retaining its essence and foundation. I wish tFS had headed that way, but I also like that the lack of strict philosophies here keep this place more diverse (dumb/model-loving posts and all). What's important is that there are options for everyone 10 years later and it's still a less compromised outlet, which is so needed on the internet. I don't really think it's because of anonymity, I think its format (being removed from a dynamic of professional gratitude + having to exercise critical thinking) triggers that.. it's the way people interact and the way it's technically designed.. room for a bunch of words plus some images.. not the other way around.

It's funny, even having been a member here for something like a dozen years, it still never fails to surprise me when I'm faced with proof that the thoughts and opinions we all share on here resonate beyond these pages. Not that I don't think there are plenty of members who have very valid, very clever and very insightful things to say, and not that some of the discussions aren't fun and entertaining, but I guess I take for granted that the things we all talk endlessly about (for no reason other than pure enjoyment) should matter to anybody but ourselves and occasionally the people we interact with on the forum.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that Fashionstuff! It was definitely a great read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->