The Future of Valentino

http://www.fashionwiredaily.com/first_word/news/article.weml?id=1151

Permira Buys Key Stake in Valentino Fashion Group

Godfrey Deeny
May 16th, 2007 @ 1:00 PM - Paris

UK equity fund Permira has bought a 29.9% stake in Valentino Fashion Group (VFG), owner of the Valentino and Higo Boss labels, in a purchase in excess of $1 billion.

Permira paid the owner of the group’s largest block of shares, International Capital Growth, 782.6 million Euros in a deal that values VFG at 2.6 billion Euros, or $3.5 billion.

Permira beat out a rival, US-based fund Carlyle, which had been in close talks with VFG’s Chairman Antonio Favrin, and widely tipped to win the contest.

VFG owns majority control of Germen’s men’s fashion giant Hugo Boss, which accounts for three quarters of VFG’s 2006 consolidated sales of 1.93 billion Euros, or $2.6 billion.

The acquisition will mean the third change of owners for Valentino since he and his partner Giancarlo Giammetti sold the label back in 1998.

The deal is the latest example of private equity firms growing interest in fashion, and follows the purchase of Jil Sander by Change Capital Partnership and the acquisition of Tommy Hilfiger by Apax Partners.

In Permira’s case, the UK fund set 100%-owned company, Red & Black Lux, to buy the 22 million shares in VFG from International Capital Growth, an investment vehicle controlled by the Marzotto family.

Permira issued a statement saying it “is interested in increasing its shares, also through a tender offer, at a price not above that which was offered to ICG, or 35 euros [$47 per share.”

Of the remaining shares in VFG, Favrin owns close to 20%; the Marzottos some 20.2% through various family branches, while the remainder is traded in the Milan Borsa.

Permira appears poised to gain control of the group, shares in which were suspended on Monday and Tuesday. However, a senior family member, Gaetano Marzotto, when asked by Italian news agency ANSA whether the family would fully sell out to Permira, responded: “everything is still open.”

Established in 2005, Valentino FG manufactures and markets the following labels Valentino, Hugo Boss, Marlboro Classic, M Missoni, Principe and Uomo Lebole. The group distributes its products in more than 100 countries, with over 1,200 single-brand boutiques and some 200 directly operated stores.

Ironically, Valentino’s most recent men’s collection was presented in a runway show inside the Borsa in January, when the designer present elegant suits in Prince of Wales check, tweed, herringbone and dazzling white. ??

Speculation has been rife for several months about a possible takeover of VFG, doubly so as the legendary designer Valentino Garavani, who turned 75 this month, is due to celebrate his 45th-anniversary couture show in Rome the weekend of July 6 to 8. ??

There have been rumors the designer might even announce his retirement at the Rome weekend, even though Sir Val clearly remains in thrall of the limelight. Moreover, attempts to headhunt a successor have floundered, apparently because no one really suitable could be found.

Born Valentino Garavani, the designer launched his label in Rome in the Sixties to go on to become the first Italian to gain international recognition on the par of Christian Dior and Coco Chanel, famously dressing Jackie Kennedy in a white lace dress for her wedding to Aristotle Onassis.

another interesting rumour...from wwd...

Intrigue continues to roll on at Valentino Fashion Group. While the takeover battle for the company continues, so does an under-the-radar search for an eventual successor to Valentino. According to sources, talks have reached an advanced stage with Alessandra Facchinetti, best known for succeeding Tom Ford as Gucci's women's ready-to-wear designer for two seasons following his exit from the Italian group. More recently, Facchinetti has been a consultant to Moncler for its fashion-driven Gamme Rouge collection. The sources said it's not yet a done deal, and the picture remains cloudy now that equity fund Permira, which agreed to buy a 29.6 percent stake of Valentino Fashion Group and is negotiating to buy another 24 percent chunk, has yet to lay out its strategy. Facchinetti did not return calls Thursday and Valentino officials could not be reached for comment.

Very interesting. I really liked what Alessandra did at Gucci, particularly the F/W 2005 collection.

Thanks for posting kimair. :flower:

I think Alessandra would actually be a very good fit as a successor to Valentino. She brings in a young point of view, while having all the experience of working for a big brand like Gucci and is quite good at doing embellished, 'worked' clothing. The Moncler stuff I have seen, though, looked rather hideous to me.

Oh my goodness this could be brilliant potentially :shock: . I loved what Alessandra did at Gucci. She is great with embellished and heavily detailed clothing. I haven't seen her do anything as feminine as Valentino but I'm sure she can do it.

I cannot wait to here more about this!

I'm not sure if that would work out or not. I enjoyed her collections for Gucci, but Gucci is a very different brand from Valentino.

But people would have said the same thing about Chanel and look how well that turned out?

maybe the most interesting rumour of the week..
she could be ok, but nothing beats Valentino himself..
i wish he could just close shop, stop producing and retire, but of course its practically impossible..

This sounds like a good idea...but, like Lena, I think Valentino should end his house by himself.

i am super excited to see her back, i loved her gucci collections and was really upset to see frida take over and turn gucci into forever 21. but while i can't wait to see what she has to say now, in a new context and time, i can't really grasp someone else under the Valentino name. perhaps it's because i haven't really lived through any great retirements and subsequent passing ons in fashion besides Gucci but even that didn't have Tom Fords name on the house, literally.

Valentino could definitely use some feminine sensitivity in their designs .. Faccinetti totally suits the house of V!

Valentino purchased by private equity firm

MILAN (Reuters) -- Private equity fund Permira has secured majority control of Valentino in deals worth $672 million and will now make full bids for the Italian fashion house and its Hugo Boss menswear brand.
London-based Permira said it had agreed to buy 10.8 percent of Valentino -- known for its floor-sweeping gowns -- to add to its existing 29.6 percent stake, and could take another 12.4 percent through an exchangeable bond, all at 35 euros per share.
The price would value the entire company, whose elegant dresses have been worn by actress Sophia Loren, at $3.94 billion.
Permira had been in exclusive talks with members of the Marzotto family over the extra stakeholdings.
Permira will now make an offer for both Valentino and its Hugo Boss German menswear business, the London-based private equity fund said. A source close to the talks said the bid could come by the end of the summer.
Under Italian law, once Permira has more than a 30 percent stake, it has to launch a full takeover for the fashion designer.
Valentino is one of the world's most recognized style brands and analysts say private equity has the potential to expand it internationally and into younger, cheaper ranges. A Valentino signature red gown can cost $10,000.
Permira said it would delist Valentino if its offer were successful.
Private equity firms are showing an increased interest in the fashion world, with no sign of a let-up in booming sales of luxury goods in emerging economies like China, India and Russia.

Source: CNN Money

Hmmm they said "delist" Valentino meaning pulling the company from the corporate market if successful...interesting! Private equities are going out of control! Even in the business sector...ugh!

That article was written rather akwardly. They go from talking about cold hard business facts and numbers, then jump over to mentioning his floor-sweeping gowns. Huh? They should have written the business details first and then talk about fashion & Sophia Loren.

Sorry, I just had to point it out. :innocent:

Isnt this what happened to Jil Sanders?

Yep a private equity firm in england named Change Capital Fund L.P., purchased Jil Sander, while Helmut Lang went to Link Theory Holdings Co, Ltd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suvi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->