The Row S/S 11 Paris

There's an article on WWD.COM and it includes a slideshow! Hopefully someone with an account could post it on here :flower: http://www.wwd.com/fashion-shows-re...he-row-102660/the-row-rtw-spring-2011-3323480

It's not the full collection, only a few images.

wwd keep doing this and posting only part of collections, I don't know why they don't have all of the pictures!

These are the other pics on wwd that weren't in HeatherAnne's post

003ecg95
003edp52
003ee9kk

wwd.com

^ Thanks hautechild :flower: I found those in the model's own thread posted by another user. I hope eventually all the pictures show up, so amazing so far.

Oh and here's the wwd review, not sure what it means about bing.com, I thought that was a search engine?

Small collection with just 15 looks

You have to hand it to Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen, they know how to roll with the punches. When last-minute sample delays forced them to cancel their spring show in New York, they found a slot on the Paris circuit even though it meant downscaling to by-appointment presentations. “We wanted to make sure the production was where we wanted it to be,” said Ashley. “And that meant not being in New York.” It wasn’t a bad trade-off. A salon with soaring white ceilings and lovely boiserie created a grand atmosphere for an intimate viewing of the clothes, all the better for up-close appreciation of their understated sophistication.

The tightly edited 15 looks included traditional tailoring countered with more feminine fare, all of it in a soft palette of black, pale pink and ivory, worn with pink and red crocodile flats, in line with the season’s shoe trend, and, as Ashley noted, their plan from “day one.” There were bias-cut dresses and ankle-length skirts, such as a pale pink shell and matching “parachute” skirt, so named because it fell freely into loose pleats like those of a long ballerina skirt. Elegant suits — classic jackets with shawl collars or peaked lapels worn with straight trousers — felt modern, in blush for day and white satin for evening.

The simplicity of the silhouettes belied their meticulous details and construction: jackets, pants and gowns were silk satin back crepe; buttons were covered; and a white silk georgette tank dress was embroidered with knife pleated panels that released at the waist, which, as Ashley pointed out, was hand-stitched at three points along the interior to ensure proper fit. The sisters clearly know the importance of control, not just stylistically — just about every item in The Row is produced in New York, close to their watchful eyes. The rest of the world can see the fruits of Ashley and Mary-Kate’s labor Monday at 7:30 pm EST, when their presentation will go live on Bing.com.

http://www.wwd.com/fashion-week/spring-ready-to-wear-2011/review/the-row-rtw-spring-2011-3323480?city=paris

Hotel Pozzo di Borgo, a hôtel particulier in the seventh arrondissement in Paris, hasn’t seen this much action since it was Karl Lagerfeld’s home back in the day. Thursday night it was the venue for Vogue Paris’s masked ball. Saturday, Dior was filming a commercial with Kate Moss. (I can tell you it involved a stately green vintage limousine, but no spotting of the English super, malheuresment.) Elsewhere in the house at the same time, working in an airy, gorgeous white stucco room, were Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen—who are using the space to present their latest collection for The Row on Sunday—with a few models and a video, which creates an idea of a virtual runway experience. Think of what we have here as a behind-the-scenes trailer for what will be screened in full in Paris, which can be seen at www.bing.com/therow from Monday. “We looked at so many places,” said Mary-Kate—nursing the bane of the shows, the fashion-week cold—of the venue. “But this one was just right; it suited the cleanness the collection. It feels very New York in a way.”

New York, you may remember, was plan A—to do their second full runway show in the city during fashion week. But then the samples of the collection didn’t make it in time, so it was off to the Paris and plan B. This sneak-peak look should give you a taste of the collection, but suffice to say that: One, the Olsens were thinking of fabric wrapping around the body (bias cutting is a recurring theme); two, they’re voting for the new long silhouette; three, they have—not easy to find—many perfect shades of pink (“We looked at hundreds,” says Ashley); and lastly, all the shoes are flat—crocodile loafers and slippers in shades of lilac, red, grey and, yes, pink—and by Manolo Blahnik, after the duo saw the slippers at the Tina Chow archive at FIT. The Manolo resurgence we’ve been feeling this season just got a whole lot stronger.

- VOGUE.COM

Why are they showcasing this in Paris?? It's pretty unremarkable :unsure:

Why are they showcasing this in Paris?? It's pretty unremarkable :unsure:
Their NYC show was canceled last minute because the samples were presumably unfinished. Paris is better than no show, it generates publicity and interest.

No thank you!
I don't wanna buy clothes designed by 2 of the most overrated and bad dresses celebrities in the whole showbusiness :ninja:

Whether you appreciate or abominate their style, you can't deny the massive impact they've had on fashion.
In my opinion, they're most definitely not overrated when it comes to their fashions and their designs. Just because they're not making avantgarde couture, doesn't mean they're not valid and talented designers.

Looking forward to seeing the full video tomorrow!

plus you may not like their personal style but you really CAN'T deny that the row as a brand is really promising and well made, with clear vision behind that.

I must say i am surprised that S/S collection is even better that F/W ! Love it - strong but with very feminine feel.

I adore 3rd pink look with jacket/dress (? is it dress ? or jumper - can't say 100% )

I like what I'm seeing, very NY-orientated... minimal, chic and feminine, however It seems very far from their iconic looks, it's true that they have relaxed their outfits and they have gone minimal with tones of black and fitted silhouttes (specially ashley) and that they have always loved knitted jackets and pullovers but still can't find mk's there... maybe this is due to the separation they want to make between the line and their personas... which is the first step to become a fashion designer.

But I keep telling they have much to improve...

the appartment is wonderful...and that's the only interesting thing to me

i must say, I like the tight color story

I just can't give them the credit everyone thinks they deserve. Only 15 pieces? They shield themselves behind this exclusive presentation style so they don't have to face the same criticisms as other designers who put on full runway shows. By making their shows exclusive they can get buyers and editors one on one and work the Olsen magic.

They don't have the design knowledge to create these clothes. They have used their wealth and connections to surround themselves with the best talent to construct their pieces then are given full credit because they know how many stitches are in the seam or whatever. They should know those things since I'm sure whoever they are paying to construct their clothes had to explain it to them.

If they weren't the Olsen's people would simply go buy Rick Owens and this would be just one of many other minimalist collections. Instead people are acting like they are revolutionizing fashion and doing something no other trained designer has thought of. Like OMG well-made basics-- no one else has EVER done that before.

I just can't give them the credit everyone thinks they deserve. Only 15 pieces? They shield themselves behind this exclusive presentation style so they don't have to face the same criticisms as other designers who put on full runway shows. By making their shows exclusive they can get buyers and editors one on one and work the Olsen magic.

They don't have the design knowledge to create these clothes. They have used their wealth and connections to surround themselves with the best talent to construct their pieces then are given full credit because they know how many stitches are in the seam or whatever. They should know those things since I'm sure whoever they are paying to construct their clothes had to explain it to them.

If they weren't the Olsen's people would simply go buy Rick Owens and this would be just one of many other minimalist collections. Instead people are acting like they are revolutionizing fashion and doing something no other trained designer has thought of. Like OMG well-made basics-- no one else has EVER done that before.

I feel like my opinion will be discredited because I've been a long-time Olsen fan, but I think it's safe to say that you're attacking character instead of what's being presented.

To be fair, The Row had originally planned for a fashion show in New York. The presentation for editors and buyers in Paris could have very well been a genius marketing scheme, but it's oddly fitting that a good portion of the industry is starting to scale back on runways in general, reintroducing the idea of exclusivity in fashion. There was a point where celebrities were given front row tickets over editors. So, in all honesty, as pretentious as the Row presentation may seem, I think it's a little bit of brilliant business savvy for the brand itself, not for the Olsens.

I don't think The Row, as a brand, has ever claimed to be the "father of minimalism," nor, I believe I can say with confidence, will they in the future. If people have made that comment, that is the audience's opinion. I don't believe it's fair to attach a criticism of the clothes/designers/team and mistake it for the Row's.

As far as the collection, from what we've seen so far, I think this is a great step in the right direction for The Row. I think 15 looks is very representative of how small this team really is. It has always been about quality, not quantity. The dresses are sexy. Everything very wearable and timeless. Nothing to hop over the moon for, but very pretty.

Really beautiful what I've seen. It really astounds me how competent - and talented - these two are. They really are very into fashion, and in the best way possible. Everything they design always feels so sophisticated, smart, sharp and finished. Like any embellishment would just ruin their work. These girls are fantastic at what they do, I hope they show their collection in Paris each season.

I love seeing young people accomplishing great things in the adult world (i know they are adults, but I don't consider people in their twenties full adults). So So Simple, but great. Good job

is it just me or was there a dark haired model with a gap between her teeth that didnt make it to the presentation ? she was in the video but not in the photos ? ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inale
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->