UK Vogue February 2022 by Rafael Pavarotti

Unbelievably, I've received my subscription copy. I got the group shot, which looks worse in print - when I say 'worse', I mean it's even harder to distinguish the lines and textures. If you stop and look at the shot, the details slowly become apparent, but if covers are supposed to make an impact in a few seconds, it's not working as a cover.

That said, because of the strangeness of it, I kinda like it.

There's an interview with Jamie Dorman and Catriona Balfe, which talks about Northern Ireland, so I'm going to read this first...

Can't wait to see the scans of the First Appearances.

I actually got my subscriber copy before it’s on newsstands, for once!
It's brilliant, it brings you back to having a proper print experience, where you have no idea what to expect, and you excitedly turn the pages to get your first glimpse of what's inside the issue, instead of knowing everything already.

Review - 208 Pages.

AS THE WORLD TURNS
Cover stars: Adut Akech, Anok Yai, Majesty Amare, Amar Akway, Janet Jumbo, Maty Fall, Nyagua Ruea, Abény Nhial & Akon Changkou
Photographer: Rafael Pavarotti
Stylist: Edward Enninful
9 Photos

FIRST APPEARANCES
Models: Maty Fall, Jennifer Girukwishaka, Yi Lan Hua, Quinn Mora, Aylah Peterson & Dana Smith
Photographer: Craig McDean
Stylist: Kate Phelan
18 Photos

HOW SWEET IT IS
Model: Rebecca Leigh Longendyke
Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
Stylist: Poppy Kain
8 Photos

+ Alasdair McLellan photographs bright young stars, Scott Trindle photographs Jamie Dornan and Caitriona Balfe, and with regards to the size - it's now slightly narrower than Vogue Italia.

Is Bimini featured anywhere? She tweeted to look out for the magazine, so I was expecting her to show up somewhere.

So we all agree that at the end of the day Adut's cover should have been the only one. The other one is more an editorial picture. Pavarotti's covers for VI were the same case. The profile cover was better than the three girls sitting together. One cover is enough, and it's a shame because the bad one takes more attention than the good one. Group shoots are always hard, and more for covers. Steven Meisel is one of the best working with lots of models at the same time. For other photographers is not that easy.

Got my copy today too, and of course they’ve stuck subscribers with the group shot - I can understand why, it has no newsstand appeal whatsoever because of how poorly lit it is. It’s a real shame, because it could very easily have been fantastic - and the god awful blue really tips it over the edge unfortunately. I’ll be interested to see if they just use Adut’s cover for the newsstand edition, or if the group one will actuallly make an appearance there too. Either way, I’ll be buying the solo cover as soon as I can - it’s so glorious, I can’t wait to see it in print.

The slightly narrower format is irritating me - mainly because it’s barely any different, and so it’s hard to see the point in them changing it. Mine always gets left on top of the postbox in my building, so I wonder if people have been complaining about the postman not putting it through the letterbox - but it’s been the same size for decades so that seems unlikely. Perhaps they have more international subscribers now, and standard letterbox sizes must vary across the globe…so maybe narrower is better? Although it’s still wider than US Vogue so maybe not. It’s probably just down to cost isn’t it - all roads lead to saving money at this point. Oh well, I’ll get used to it by next month.

I'm sat here counting my blessings because as a subscriber I received Adut's solo cover!
I received the Adut solo cover too, my issue arrived very timely, the morning after they released the covers on Instagram.

The new dimensions and format really have been messing with my brain, I keep seeing it on my desk and it just doesn’t look right, it kinda has a W Magazine look to it being downsized in width.

I don't understand the new changes. Can someone share a snap of this issue and the previous one back to back, please? I want to see the comparison.

AS THE WORLD TURNS
Photography:
Rafael Pavarotti
Styling: Edward Enninful
Hair: Virginie Moreira
Make-up: Ammy Drammeh
Models: Amar Akway, Majesty Amare, Akon Changkou, Nyagua Ruea, Abény Nhial, Maty Fall, Janet Jumbo, Adut Akech & Anok Yai

UK Vogue Digital Edition

FIRST APPEARANCES
Photography:
Craig McDean
Styling: Kate Phelan
Hair: Shiori Takahashi
Make-up: Peter Philips
Models: Maty Fall, Jennifer Girukwishaka, Yi Lan Hua, Quinn Mora, Aylah Peterson & Dana Smith

UK Vogue Digital Edition

BRAND-NEW BEAT
Photography:
Alasdair McLellan
Styling: Kate Phelan
Hair: Syd Hayes
Make-up: Lynsey Alexander
Models/Celebrities: Charithra Chandran, Earl Cave, Iris Law, Louis Partridge, Dua Saleh, Archie Renaux, Bimini, Zinnia Kumar, Elliot Edusah, Kayako Higuchi, Arrdee, Coco Rebecca Edogamhe & Devon Ross

UK Vogue Digital Edition

HOMEWARD BOUND
Photography:
Scott Trindle
Styling: Julia Brenard
Hair: Anna Cofone
Grooming: Joe Mills
Make-up: Jenny Coombs
Models/Celebrities: Jamie Dornan & Caitríona Balfe

UK Vogue Digital Edition

I'm sat here counting my blessings because as a subscriber I received Adut's solo cover!
Oh you’re so lucky! I have the worst track-record when it comes to multi-cover issues, I always get sent my least favourite of the bunch.

Interesting contents, some lovely pictures even if I'm a bit underwhelmed by most. Merci Zorka for taking time to post everything here.

GLAM ROCKS
Photography:
Scott Trindle
Styling: Julia Sarr-Jamois
Hair: Syd Hayes
Make-up: Hiromi Ueda
Models: Dorrit Li, Raynara Negrine & Laura Reyes

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members