Victoria Beckham F/W 09.10 New York

Miss Dalloway

Reaction score
Victoria Beckham RTW Fall 2009
Victoria Beckham RTW Fall 2009
by WWD Staff
Posted Sunday February 15, 2009
From WWD.COM

Madonna — you can’t do better than that!” Victoria Beckham joked when asked to identify her emerging customer base. (An early group of her spring dresses hit Bergdorf Goodman and Selfridges weeks ago.) She was referring to the current W photo shoot in which Madonna makes steamy stuff of one look.

In fact, Beckham has a broader base in mind. Though too early to tell a mere two collections into her second career, judging from the controlled lineup she showed on Sunday, it seems that she may indeed be no lightweight. (Figuratively, that is. Formerly Posh is still a slip of a girl.) Beckham’s focus remains on curvy, sensual dresses that won’t date easily. Such was her launch raison d’être, which now, one very bizarre season later, seems ever so savvy. For fall, she added shorter, more relaxed looks and conversely, more demonstrative flourishes such as a glam fold to the bodice of a cocktail dress inspired by her wedding gown. There were also “capes,” actually swing-back affairs with zip-up sleeves, and sultry evening gowns — some with long sleeves! — with a Forties siren feel. As for helping a gal suck it all in, Beckham removed the inner “obi” construction featured in numerous spring designs, in favor of offering a single, separate corset, retailing for $590. “That helps keep the price of the dresses down,” she said. Might it also signal an innerwear collection in the near feature? “Why,” Beckham mused, “that’s a very good idea.”

Source: http://www.wwd.com/fashion-week/fal...a-beckham-rtw-fall-2009-1995425?city=new-york

Here is the full collection:

xaxo46.jpg
24uycsn.jpg

2870vnn.jpg
adm51w.jpg

21n2hix.jpg
1zl6ovd.jpg

jqi6o7.jpg
jkczsg.jpg

n2lahs.jpg
264lzyv.jpg

WWD

Last edited by a moderator:
Roland Mouret inspiration and V neck again...
I do actually like it, there are some interesting looks. I'm sure Victoria will look great on them ^_^

very mouret/valli. its nice, but do people actually buy her clothes when they could actually buy mouret and valli?

Its beautiful, all very well done from Mrs.Beckham, yet again she prooves that she in it for the long haul. By taking it very slowly and developing her singature style, and it comes across in the collection.The addition of full lenght dresses and capes is good, she definietly has a good taste.I dont see tonfs of Mouret/Valli, i see VB in this, i know i know, but its her aesthetic so of course it will reflect in what she does, and masquarade, her dresses are selling amazingly well, no doubt that she used her celebrity well here. Bergdorf Goodman and Selfridges reported she outsold the mentioned designers with ease.

I get a "Mad Men" vibe from some dresses here, but in a good way.What i like about this is that its a step further from her debut collection but very much in the same vein, she didnt veer to faar.There is plenty of time for that imo, smart move from her.The capes are brilliant, i would wear them, and i love the long dresses, they look chic and regal, overall it almost feels "reccession chic", and coming from Beckham that is fantastic.I think she wont have a problem with getting buyers for this.I only dont like the presentation, it was done better with the first collection, i mean i dont want her to do a flashy runway show either, but this is a bit boring.

THanks for posting the collection. I quite like it's simplicity, and sophistication. I'm looking forward to her in a couple of looks, I know i'll like more on her than the models. I like her playing with a bit more color. The purple dress is lovely.

I think she did a nice job with the shorter, more playful dresses. The gold one stands out most. I like how she is easing into these different looks. The collection is cohesive and I quite like it.

All clothes I'd wear, but its all copied from other designers. One of those dresses looks like a Marc Jacobs dress she wore last year.

I actually really like this... It's just... surprising that it's likable, coming from a 'celebrity line.'

But definitely some Mouret references in it.

All clothes I'd wear, but its all copied from other designers. One of those dresses looks like a Marc Jacobs dress she wore last year.
I think to say "its all copied from other designer's" is a vast exaggaration.Yes she was inspired by Mouret,Jacobs and Valli, isnt that logical since its what she wears, and her own closet is full of it?That one does look like the MJ one she wore, but its not the exact same, Marcs had rhinestones!I mean she didnt set out to do something groundbreaking, its all been seen before, and she fully admitts in her interviews to be inspired and guided by those designers (all her personal friends). I think there is always room for beautiful clothes like this, no matter how similar to the others.

I think to say "its all copied from other designer's" is a vast exaggaration.Yes she was inspired by Mouret,Jacobs and Valli, isnt that logical since its what she wears, and her own closet is full of it?That one does look like the MJ one she wore, but its not the exact same, Marcs had rhinestones!I mean she didnt set out to do something groundbreaking, its all been seen before, and she fully admitts in her interviews to be inspired and guided by those designers (all her personal friends). I think there is always room for beautiful clothes like this, no matter how similar to the others.

Like I said, I'd wear the clothes. Not saying I don't like them.

But what's the point of putting out a clothing line, and an expensive clothing line at that, if it's all been inspired by other designer's signature work? I mean, kudos to her for actually admitting that she's influenced by the designers she wears, but that doesn't excuse the fact that she's basically just tweaking things that she's already worn by designers who have already established a look all their own.

I mean, appropriation is an industry wide thing, but this isn't appropriation because she isn't taking the influence and actually making something of her own with it in the way that someone like Marc Jacobs does. These look like clothes made by other designers instead of inspired by them.

^^I disagree i think they clearly look inspired, especially if you have seen the dresses from her first collection.I thougth they looked like Mouret in the pictures but in real life there was so many fine and different details that you dont see at MJ.etc. And she has plenty of time to develop even more her own stuff in the future, this is after all her only second collection.
I think she has succeded in making it her own.

Like I said, I'd wear the clothes. Not saying I don't like them.
Christina, what i wrote wasnt meant as an attack on your comment, i'm sorry if it came out like that, not my intention. :flower:

My personal message to the people behind this clothes:

You're not Rouland Mouret!

Get over it! Stick to those things "you can do".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batman112
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->