Victoria Beckham F/W 09.10 New York

for a celebrity line this is not half bad. it's very simple and toned down...like the article says, it won't go out of style easily which is what most people want to invest in during a recession

The clothes are nice and honestly, I'd wear some of the dresses... but in general, it's nothing impressive.
Hopefully in the next collection we'll see more Victoria and less RM.

i really really love her dresses, they're so elegant! the last collection was slightly better though....

As Victoria Beckham launched her second clothes collection in New York yesterday, Femail's Natalie Theo gives her verdict on the singer-turned-designer's Autumn/Winter 2009 range...

Cheryl Cole might well have to eat her fashionable little words.
Last month she claimed that Victoria Beckham's dresses were 'for older women' and 'not something we (Girls Aloud) would wear'.
So the next time she steps out onto the X Factor stage she may just be wearing a fabulous little purple McQueen-inspired mini-dress by non-other than her WAG rival, Posh.
Yes, Victoria Beckham, the fashionista we love to love or love to hate, launched her second collection of dresses for autumn/winter 2009 yesterday in New York and wowed the catwalks, the crowds... and me.
Posh has taken her collection to a new level - which is something most fashion designers fail to achieve each season - with a far more youthful air, featuring bright colours, glittering embellishments and lashings of leg.

Yes, there are her slinky-dinky 'haven't I seen that before at Roland Mouret' numbers, and her favourite greys and blacks, but, she has introduced both short little vampy numbers and fantastic long evening gowns.

In fact she does 'evening' better than most offerings I have seen in a while.

Take a look at this Rita Hayworthesque long red gown that swims and drapes and seduces the body like a slick of red paint on a brand new Ferrari.
Eschewing a catwalk show for an intimate, salon-style presentation in a suite at the Waldorf hotel, Mrs Beckham appeared far less nervous than she did when she showed her first collection five months ago.
Dressed in a short black dress of her own design, accompanied by black tights, black Louboutin heels, black nails and a black Dolce & Gabbana hairband, she carefully explained all 23 looks in a confident voice that rarely faltered.
Only once did her PR step in to correct her, after she described a strapless grey cashmere dress as 'a bit Mad Max'.

'You mean Mad Men. Some people told you earlier that it looked "a bit Mad Men," ,' he interjected, referring to the cult BBC4 series of the same name.
'Oh yes,' Beckham giggled. 'I haven't seen Mad Men yet. I'll need to watch it on DVD.'

For someone who has so recently turned her hand to fashion design, it was an astonishingly accomplished collection.

The tailoring was immaculate, the fabrics innovative and the overall feel contemporary but infused with a chic Fifties glamour.
Highlights included a slim, cream, calf-length dress with a stiff shawl collar and a black sleeveless shift dress interwoven with gold bouclé.
If Beckham mentioned the word 'young' once, she mentioned it a hundred times.
A black rubber tweed cape with a zippered front was 'youthful and fresh', a purple shot silk mini dress was 'cool and young' and a gold houndstooth shift dress was 'young, fun but sophisticated.'
While price points remain high - from £850 for a plain day dress to £4,600 for a floor-length gown hand embroidered in India - they have been slightly lowered since last season, thanks to Beckham's decision to remove the intricate corsetry from inside some of the dresses.
'Every single piece should be an investment buy that women can wear not just season to season, but year to year,' said Beckham. And at those prices, she's not wrong.
I fail to see how Cheryl Cole might not be tempted by another of my favourite looks - her show opener - a purple little silk minidress. It's completely Cheryl Cole, and it's very Posh Spice.
Yes you've got to hand it to Posh she 'knows good dress' - don't let those over-sized shades and serious pout convince you otherwise.
dailymail.co.uk

Attachments

• beck1.jpg
    beck1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1
  • beck2.jpg
    beck2.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 4
  • beck3.jpg
    beck3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
^^I think its so cute that she made that reference mistake, specially since admitting she didnt watch the show yet, and she said its how others described it, and i love how even Phelps from style.com was impressed with her knowledge and passion over the collection.

And that article coming from Daily Mail is not half bad.However here is one more from someone who actually knows fashion:

Victoria Beckham reveals second fashion collection
Victoria Beckham, dress designer, held court in a suite in the Waldorf Towers on Sunday, scrutinizing and explaining as a parade of 23 dresses, finely-structured and perfectly-tailored to within a centimetre of their lives, passed by her gaze.
By Hilary Alexander, fashion director
Last Updated: 1:45AM GMT 16 Feb 2009

These were the designs from her collection for next autumn/winter – and she has a personal relationship with each one which almost amounts to a love affair. She knows every stitch, every seam; the construction of the fabric and the inner "secrets" such as the shoulder pads and the paneling details which make for perfect posture and a strict, hourglass silhouette with no lumps and bumps.

This is only the second collection she has put her name to – and is she learning.

She wore one of the dresses herself, in pewter silk gazar, epaulette-sleeved and uncorsetted - unlike the dresses she showed for spring/summer which each had a built-in, "obi" corset.

"This time, we have made the corset as a separate item. I've talked to my customers and found they would rather have the option of wearing the dresses without."

Hence the addition of a fine, cotton and power-mesh corset, lightly-boned, which sits under the bust, does not "push your boobs up too high – that's vulgar" and clings to the body, rather than gripping it.

The lengths are shorter, too, much like the one Victoria wears herself, just on the knee. It is a length which finds more favour, she says – and which anyway she prefers to wear herself- than the slightly retro, mid-calf hemlines of last season.

Still, the dresses suggest a scenario where Joan Crawford has just walked onto the set of "MadMen", the vintage advertising TV series renowned as much for its costume accuracy as its slang and jargon and sexism of the era.

The setting adds to this feeling. Wood-panelled, with ambient, flattering lighting, a huge arrangement of *****-willow branches and a grand-piano, it is like a library in a grand country house where the guests are about to assemble before dinner,

Any one of the dresses in the collection would be perfectly-suited to such an occasion. There are the short, structured styles in electric violet shot silk or black, stretch, wool felt with gilt ring embroidery at the waist. There are longer, below-the-knee styles, in the same stretch wool, but in cream, or a black/pewter basket-weave, with a fold across the bust, which she reveals was partly inspired by her Vera Wang wedding dress.Others are in grey cashmere, or panels of black stretch and a shimmering gold tinsel boucle.

One looks like a jacket and skirt, but is in fact still a dress with a flirty rise- and- fall peplum emphasizing the waist in front and contouring around to fall in suggestive waves over the derriere.

But, they are modest in the extreme; no cleavage, no cut-outs, no transparency; often covering the knees and all with short cap or three-quarter sleeves.

"Sexy, from a woman's perspective," Victoria says, pointing out that each style is equipped with a gold or silver zip, often encased in satin which runs straight down the spine from nape of neck to knee. Only a man is needed to open it.

New are a series of capes, in either a charcoal, rubberized tweed – "NOT waterproof," she emphasizes – with bold gold zips running down the front and up each of the semi-sleeves, "to add interest, so you can wear it in different ways." One particularly clever version is in black silk gazar, finished with a big, beautiful, black bow at the neck – "perfect to wear over evening dresses; it's so hard to find the right jacket when you're going out in the evening."

Best of all are the long dinner or evening gowns in black, claret-red and matt black, liquid sequins. They fit like silken gloves, have long trains which trail behind and they slither and shimmer around the bodies of the models, making them appear like mermaids.

Mrs Beckham was much derided when she launched her fashion range last season. But the critics have had to eat their words.

There is a market for them. They have been a success at stores such as Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus and Selfridges, as well as the ultra-chic online boutique net-a-porter.com, and there is big demand in Russia and Dubai. For spring/summer only 400 dresses were made; for next autumn/winter, production will be nearly doubled.

All the dresses are made, with a lot of handwork, in London – with the exception of one bare-one-shoulder style where the black chenille beadwork on the solitary sleeve was finished in India.

The prices are high – from £850 up to a high of £4,600 and £4,900 for the more elaborate, long, trained gowns.

"I see these are investment buys. They're designed to be worn from year to year, not season to season."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/new-york-fashion-week/4635215/Victoria-Beckham-reveals-second-fashion-collection.html

The worst pieces are the ones she tries to add a bit of excitement to.

It's just all been seen before. On her.

Nothing interesting. Nothing new. The clothes just look like the stuff she's worn last year...

Nice pieces, but as said too copied from other people (not just inspired!) and simply rebranded. They are nice for sure, but they are by no means fashion forward.

First, I'd like to say that this collection is lovely - I can see myself wearing every single piece (and I am not even into dresses!:woot:).

Second, I think VB is dissed by many even before they see what she has to offer simply because she is VB.

And third, I think there is nothing wrong with the fact that she draws insiration from her favorite designers - she is designing these clothes so she herself would wear them (unlike most celebs out there with clothing, etc. lines) so to say that "... this whole thing reeks of a payday ..." is not really fair - she does love to wear her own brand so why not get ideas from other labels she wears and loves.

This is JMO, of course.

First, I'd like to say that this collection is lovely - I can see myself wearing every single piece (and I am not even into dresses!:woot:).

Second, I think VB is dissed by many even before they see what she has to offer simply because she is VB.

And third, I think there is nothing wrong with the fact that she draws insiration from her favorite designers - she is designing these clothes so she herself would wear them (unlike most celebs out there with clothing, etc. lines) so to say that "... this whole thing reeks of a payday ..." is not really fair - she does love to wear her own brand so why not get ideas from other labels she wears and loves.

This is JMO, of course.
Because that's called being unoriginal and essentially means that she's relying on other designers to come up with ideas so she can cash in on them, hence that payday comment.

And I hate to point it out, but if she was just some no-name up-and-comer, or even just an established designer who didn't have a following because they're a celebrity, she would be ripped a new one by most people and called a knock-off artist. So in that way she's lucky she has some die hard fans who are willing to defend her no matter what.

Because that's called being unoriginal and essentially means that she's relying on other designers to come up with ideas so she can cash in on them, hence that payday comment.

And I hate to point it out, but if she was just some no-name up-and-comer, or even just an established designer who didn't have a following because they're a celebrity, she would be ripped a new one by most people and called a knock-off artist. So in that way she's lucky she has some die hard fans who are willing to defend her no matter what.

Fair enough. But speaking of originality - I can probably count designers in the industry today whose designs are truly "original" on one hand.

I think the collection is more variable than last season´s. It`s still very simple and pretty, but honestly that`s what makes it boring.

totally agree with u on everything. she s lucky she has that name!
it s a shame that there are tons of struggling designers outthere yet everybody s willing to bring out the red carpet to celebs because of their names.
a shame for the fashion world and if only her designs were unique and innovative, everything is stolen from someone else s collection:yuk:

Fair enough. But speaking of originality - I can probably count designers in the industry today whose designs are truly "original" on one hand.
Originality doesn't mean reinventing the wheel. It means being able to put your own distinct stamp on that wheel.

It's not that she hasn't come up with something truly new that's the issue, it's that she's barely bothered to make her clothes distinguishable from the designers whose clothes she wears.

'originiality' is the most overrated virtue in the fashion industry. what's most important is the true spirit of the creator

there s no true spirit here
she copied things she liked from other designers and changed tiny details here and there
it s nothing ''MAJOR''

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn varenne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->