VINTAGE Jewelry...

Does anyone know how to sanitise vintage earrings (22k solid gold)? Does anyone do this...are you supposed to? I inherited some reaally nice earrings but I'm scared to wear them because they've been in someone else's ears.

I still have a bottle of that earring cleaner stuff when I got my ears piereced at claire's cos I was convinced I needed the big bottle. I just use that. I also have a steam cleaner that my grandma gave me when I got engaged because she spends hours each week cleaning her jewelry, so supposedly I need to as well!.... but I made the mistake of putting in a pair of my gorgeous costume earrings and some of the stones fell out, so just watch out for that.

I just found the funniest pair of vintage earrings that I am going to wear with my Halloween costume..one earring is a dinosaur and the other is a bone. They are a riot.

hehe, post pictures! i can imagine the dinosaur being green.

i loooove everything posted. i'm kind of obsessed with vintage jewelry i like it so much better than most contemporary pieces. i love pieces from the Edwardian period they look like lace:

l_50001044.10001.jpg

l_50001045.10001.jpg

and of course I'm OBSESSED with Art Deco pieces

l_5000771.10001.jpg

l_5000835.10001.jpg

and I love some of the older Van Cleef pieces...

l_50001047.10001.jpg

all image credit: beladora.com

Any suggestions for books or websites to read regarding starting to collect vintage jewelry?

Any suggestions for books or websites to read regarding starting to collect vintage jewelry?
the book "warman's jewelry" by christie romero is THE best book to buy if you are starting to collect antique jewelry. it is under $30. it is profusely illustrated in color, highly informative and interesting to read, and covers jewelry of all kinds (silver, gold, precious gems, designer, costume, mourning, bakelite, etc...) from the 1700s to about 1970s. i really cannot recommend it highly enough.

Going to have to check this book out for sure! Thanks for the recommendation.

I found a fabulous Bakelite umbrella pendant at a thrift store a week or so ago and I'm trying to find what the approximate value may be of it. Does anyone have any good websites, etc., that may help? Thanks!:smile:

I found a fabulous Bakelite umbrella pendant at a thrift store a week or so ago and I'm trying to find what the approximate value may be of it. Does anyone have any good websites, etc., that may help? Thanks!:smile:

that sounds like a neat find. the value of old bakelite jewelry depends on the design (figural is best), colors (multiple is better--certain multiple color bakelite bracelets can sell for several thousand dollars), how unusual it is, complexity (i.e. one piece of bakelite or several different pieces assembled), and embellishments (such as carving, googly eyes for figural pieces, etc). probably your best bet for getting an idea is to look at completed auctions on ebay.

it is interesting that bakelite jewelry--originally produced and sold very cheaply during times of economic stress--has acquired such a cult following and pieces frequently sell for prices that far, far exceed their intrinsic or imo even aesthetic value. if i was going to spend $10,000 on a brooch from the '30s (and some bakelite pins have achieved this price) i would much rather buy something in gold or silver than bakelite.

as for the book, just go to borders or b&n and they should have it in stock for you to leaf through to see if it is something you like.

I know, it is interesting, I was at an antique store and they had a carved red hinge bangle with two fish whose lips met in the middle..it was priced at 950 dollars! It was so fantastic, but the price was insanity. I had them get it out of the case and I tried it on and looked at the price and gasped. The woman was a bit taken aback I think. To contrast, I found a 1920's gold/diamond/ruby ring that's in the shape of a bow and only paid 100 for it. My umbrella pendant is a darker butterscotch color with some details that make the folds of the umbrella. The handle and tip are carved wood. It's just really fun and whimsical, and I think I got a great deal on it at 1.99 :smile:

i love vintage pieces...

there's this brand: anne kpolik that makes vintage styled pieces.

personally, i have only worn my grandma's hand me downs vintage pieces.

^Neither of my grandma's kept any of their vintage costume stuff. I am sad about that! They both have some beautiful fine jewelry though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahGarnet
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->