• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

W Special Sofia Coppola Edition : Kirsten Dunst by Juergen Teller

HeatherAnne

Reaction score

SOFIA’S W: Stefano Tonchi is helping Sofia Coppola live out her childhood dream — the editor in chief tapped Coppola to guest edit a special edition of W. Featuring Kirsten Dunst on the cover, the section will accompany W’s May issue, which will go on sale Monday.

As a kid, I loved magazines. That’s where I got a lot of my interest in photography and fashion,” the director told WWD. “I remember as a kid W being so glamorous and it being so different from my reality.”

While that seems somewhat hard to believe, as Coppola comes from Hollywood royalty, the director explained that she’s always wanted to try her hand at editing. Between film gigs, she approached Tonchi with the idea over the summer.

Having featured Coppola in W, the editor said he noticed her strong “editing skills, fresh eye and enthusiasm.” Add that to the fact that LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton bankrolled 19 ads out of 22 in the special issue, and it was a no-brainer for Tonchi.

“Sofia came to the office a lot. I gave her my desk a few times,” he said. “She really pursued some of the stories. Some happened, some didn’t.”

Time and budgetary constraints became the biggest editor, Tonchi noted, but added that the issue is essentially about Coppola’s lifestyle and friends. Shot by Juergen Teller, the Q&A cover story on Dunst reveals as much about the director as the actress, who starred in Coppola’s movie “Marie Antoinette.” Interview questions include Dunst’s thoughts on nudity in movies, how she retains her “mystique” in the “age of selfies” and who her style heroes are. Dunst wisely cites Coppola.

Other stories in the edition include another Q&A by Coppola with Marisa Berenson in Marrakech, a story from Cornelia Guest on her mother’s best entertaining tips and an item by Paul Fortune on his design process for Marc Jacobs’ media room.

With the issue ready to ship, one might wonder if Coppola is ready to change careers.

“I’m going back to my film career after doing this,” she said, noting that while she “loved it,” once was enough. (On a side note, she admitted to enjoying talking products with the beauty editor and checking out the beauty closet.)

“I never realized how much work goes into a magazine. It’s kind of similar to doing a movie,” Coppola said. “I’m surprised how they do it every month.”

Amused, Tonchi gave Coppola perhaps her final assignment.

“No one has made a good movie about making magazines, Sofia,” he said. “I’d be a big supporter of that. There have been some good ones, but they are only about the tears that go into it.”

wwd.com

The pic is great, and it looks like a very interesting issue.

I can barely contain my excitement about this. I wonder if only subscribers get a copy or if it will come with the May issue on Newsstands as well. My favorite cinematic collaborators doing a special edition of one of my favorite magazines, great news to wake up to this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds really great ! Very unexpected project but I can't wait to get it.

Ooohh... this sounds like a great collaboration! I really hope that it'll be available at newsstands and not just for subscribers. Anything involving Sofia Coppola is bound to be good!

Kirsten Forever
Photographer:
Juergen Teller
Stylist: Felicia Garcia-Rivera
Star: Kirsten Dunst
Make-Up: Dick Page
Hair: Adir Abergel

wmagazine.com

I like Sofia but haven't we been down this road before? Just so dull and predictable.

I'm thinking CR Fashion Book with that edit.

I'm kind of disappointed that this probably won't come to Canada. I'm really liking the editorial with Kirsten.

That's typical Teller but I love it. Kirsten looks lovely and delivers freshness to it. Love the summery mood.

omg I hope this isn't a special edition for subscribers! I really want this issue :c I just can't get enough of Coppola!

Review:

Kirsten Forever (6 pages)
Photographer: Juergen Teller
Styling: Felicia Garcia-Rivera
Celebrity: Kirsten Dunst

Local Color (8 pages)
Photographer: Hugues Laurent
Styling: Patrick Mackie
Model: Marisa Berenson

More is More (8 pages)
Photographer: Roe Ethridge
Model: Hilary Rhoda

Asia Chow by Paul Jasmin (6 pages)
Photographer: Paul Jasmin
Styling: Samantha Traina
Model: Asia Chow

+ 15 pages of Louis Vuitton advertisement/editorial starring Edie Campbell & Karen Elson by Peter Lindbergh

More is More
Photographer: Roe Ethridge
Model: Hilary Rhoda

fashionscansremastered

Asia Chow
Photographer: Paul Jasmin
Styling: Samantha Traina
Model: Asia Chow

W Digital Issue May 2014

Review:
+ 15 pages of Louis Vuitton advertisement/editorial starring Edie Campbell & Karen Elson by Peter Lindbergh

W Magazine 05/2014 Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->