Washington, DC Shopping

DC in the house..Hello all thanks for all your shopping expertise and advice!
Love DC!
keep up the good work!

I know I'm reaching pretty far back, but just saw a few people talking about vintage. I wish I could be more positive about DC, but really I didn't see any vintage stores that are worthwhile or even compare to other cities vintage selection.

Meeps and Annie Creamcheese get talked about a lot, but are really subpar if you want good quality vintage (not just designer, but quality of the item itself in materials, rarity etc). Meeps also moved recently, and I have not been but prior to that I wasn't impressed.

Annie Creamcheese apparently was huge and wonderful in...Arlington? But I went to the new DC store shortly after it opened and was very disappointed. It was full of 13 year olds going "Oh my GOD, this store is soo COOL!" (verbatim) and grabbing at things. One of the salespeople apologized to me about it, haha. Its also tiny space wise. And the dressing room smelled of BO and pee, I was like holy hell! WTF happened in here?

There is also a highly over priced designer side of the store, with a far more interesting accessories case. On the other are cheapy castaways, you can find anywhere and I was not impressed. Prices for this side are ok though. Saw a MJ jean skirt for about 45? Not too bad. I spoke to the woman that owns the store, she said she gets new stuff in on Tuesdays I think? And she came back from Las Vegas with more finds. Nicole Richie apparently got Joel to buy her some sunglasses from there as well.

I read about the Georgetown Fleamarket but never went. Maybe you'd find more vintage there? How about any sellers at Eastern Market. Did they rebuild it?

Georgetown Flea Market used to be great but it moved to Arlington b/c of construction and is not that good anymore. Another nice vintage store is secondhand rose in georgetown.

walking home from a club last night, I discovered the American Apparel store by metro center. I'm so excited!

Has anyone been to Annie Creamcheese in georgetown? what a crap basement that is...all ive been hearing is that its the greatest thing and that everyone is always buying stuff from there...i did see a few scattered designers that i recognized but nothing worth going back there again for...

i was tempted to go into relish today but i really wasnt dressed for it..i must go another day though..

side note..are there any stores in the DC area that carry rick owens? i know its a longshot but i figured there might be one place that might...

micmacbis i havent been to yet either..i have a feeling they might..

thoughts?

for fall 07, Rick Owens, go here...

http://www.relishdc.com/flash/index.htm

Thanks for all the help :flower:

So this morning I discovered that I will be in Washington when Cavalli for H&M is released. :angry: I have a feeling it won't be anywhere near as simple for me to get the stuff I want as it would have been here in Stockholm.

How many H&M stores are there i Washington? How many of them have had the previous collaborations? How crazy have the queues been?

the V&R stuff was only at the metro center store. when I went at around 10am, most of the mens stuff was gone and the womens stuff was pretty much the same. I picked up a tshirt hehe.

There is also an H&M store in Georgetown. I went to V&R and there were some women's things, but I just wasn't that interested in what was left.

Yeah, the H&M by Metro Centre didn't have much when I was there either. I didn't check out the men's, but the women's was all picked over, and mostly had giant tshirts. (I love V&R, but I'm far from being an XL. :P)

I just wanted to say that mic mac bis on wisconsin ave (in chevy chase/friendship heights area) is one of the best boutiques in the DC area. I went in there asking for rick owens and they carried his pieces! the women were so helpful and really know their stock. I came out buying this Y-3 tunic/bubble dress. It was amazing!

the SA's there are so helpful and super nice!

the designers i saw there were :rick owens, Yohji Yamamoto Noir, TSE, Miyake and a few others but

I highly recommend it!

Second Hand or Resellers in DC area?

does anyone know of a good second hand store or ebay reseller type of deals in DC area? (i agree with above assessment of annie creamcheese etc - ive sold some of my things there and it worked out fine, but looking for something new) i have a couple of high end bags that i want to trade in so i can build up some reserve for my holiday shopping. ^_^ i guess i could always sell them on my own on ebay but im always kind of sketched out. thoughts?

I know there's a ton of consignment shops there, I always remember Secondi in Dupont, but there's more. To he honest, I think you're better off selling on ebay. As long as you have a 'in demand' item you will sell it. Plus no one is really taking a huge cut out of you profit like consignment or buying your stuff at a ridiculous low price like vintage stores, and the money can be deposited directly into your account via Paypal.

I wouldn't be sketched out; you can control a lot of factors that influence who buys your things including payment method, payment time, and who can bid or buy your things.

On another vintage focused forum, I saw a LOT of great items and clothing (vintage furniture and clothing) that people have gotten from the Flea in DC. Its price-ier than other fleas, but seems to have good things.

Last edited by a moderator:
i found this at the beginning of the thread
it's in Virginia, where people can't drive for ****

and all i can say is.... "so i'm not crazy!" lol. just as a warning to people visting Virginia and D.C.... BE CAREFUL!

I'm backing up mango_tango. Drivers in the DC area have no concept of pedestrian right of way. Be careful. I've had soccer moms in minivans gun right turns just as I'm stepping off the curb, clearing me by inches (I know they see me). Just to give this perspective: I'm from Los Angeles. We might have worse traffic in L.A. but DC has worse drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.yelp.com/dc

It has reviews of practically everything from real people. I found my current hairdresser, favorite new restaurant and favorite cupcakes here.

I love YELP.

Its a godsend at finding stuff and reading reviews. I love to read other peoples experiences, thoughts, etc before I try somewhere new.

I have found some AMAZING unknown places by scour YELP

I'm backing up mango_tango. Drivers in the DC area have no concept of pedestrian right of way. Be careful. I've had soccer moms in minivans gun right turns just as I'm stepping off the curb, clearing me by inches (I know they see me). Just to give this perspective: I'm from Los Angeles. We might have worse traffic in L.A. but DC has worse drivers.
so true, watch out esp. for the soccer moms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->