What are your "MUST READ" books?

Okay the books I read and love are books that everyone in this actual universe must read. AND LOVE.
Seriously..

Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell
Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier (knocked off the top spot by Gone With The Wind - it was just TOO GOOD not to award it first place)

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I can't even stress the importance of this book, I'm left speechless from it.

catcher in the rye (jd salinger) i've read this book at least twice a year since i discovered it when i was 14 ^_^

I don't think anyone should go through life without reading these...

1984 - George Orwell
East of Eden - John Steinbeck
Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami

"A Home at the End of the World"
"A Yellow Raft in Blue Water"
"The Count of Monte Cristo"
"Middlesex"
"The Age of Innocence"

Last edited by a moderator:
Perks of being a Wallflower. MUST READ for teenagers. And it works for all ages beyond that as well.

breakfast at tiffany's by truman capote. i love his descriptions of holly golightly, i want to be her!

i looove short stories (probably bc i have a really short attention span) so i definitely recommend
the offshore pirate by f. scott fitzgerald
a diamond as big as the ritz by f. scott fitzgerald
for esme with love and squalor by j.d. salinger
the curious case of benjamin button by f. scott fitzgerald (they're making it into a movie!)

Rebecca- Daphne Du Maurier
Gone with the Wind - (Crying Diamonds we have great minds)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Pride and Prejudice

Turn of the Screw - Henry James
Franny and Zooey - J.D Salinger
The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

deffo my must reads

Rebecca- Daphne Du Maurier
Gone with the Wind - (Crying Diamonds we have great minds)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Pride and Prejudice

Your number three is one of my number ones also!
And I haven't read your number four fully - I need too!!

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Awakening to Your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

These 3 books absolutely changed my life and perspective.

The Way The Crow Flies/Ann-Marie MacDonald....it's in paperback now. It's 820 pages long and I read it in 3 days. I could not put this book down.

I'm heading to the bookstore tomorrow to pick up her other bestseller "Fall On Your Knees"

Letters to a Young Poet by Rilke is definitely one of those books that one must read before they die ^_^. There's so much compassion and love in it. I always feel peaceful and hopeful after reading it.

Nikolai Gogol's short stories, particularly "The Overcoat" and "The Nose". Also his book Dead Souls.

The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. You MUST read that.

catcher in the rye (jd salinger) i've read this book at least twice a year since i discovered it when i was 14 ^_^
I absolutely agree. I read it last year and absolutely loved it. How I love Holden Caulfield. :heart: :lol:

I definitely agree with To Kill a Mockingbird. Fantastic book, great themes and motifs. The part in which Atticus left the court after Thomas Robinson's trial has me in tears everytime. :blush: Harper Lee depicts the themes of 'loss of innocence' and 'racial injustice' so well. I think that everyone, young and old, should read this book. It changed my life. :flower:

A few that I don't think have been mentioned, that aren't that well known, but are amazing.

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
by Tom Stoppard. I may be a little biased because Hamlet is a very high contender of my favorite book ever, but Stoppard is genius and this play is hilarious! :wub:

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammet. I usually hate mystery novels but this one is like a noir film in a book.

La Jongleuse by Rachilde. Such a strange strange plot, and equally strange style of writing, but I love it. It's a little like Heart of Darkness meets Age of Innocence (two of my favorites) if that's possible at all. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionistaforever
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->