What do you want to read?

lostgirl said:
I actually thought it was REALLY overrated.

So did every person who looks for literary merit in a book :P

james said:
- books about "French elegance"
- that new Coco Chanel book
- Virginie Despentes' new novel
- some novels by Edgar Allan Poe and Jane Austen
- Stalinin lehmät, a book by Finnish author Sofi Oksanen. It's a good book, but I have never managed to read it through.
- Jackie style
- Ed Wood on Ed Wood
Edgar Allan Poe never wrote a complete novel, only an unfisinshed novel called "Pym". But he wrote a LOT of short stories woth reading (esp. The Fall of the House of Usher, The Tell Tale Heart, The Black Cat, Hop-Frog)

Jane Austen is great. if you haven't read any of her stuff I'd recommend starting with Pride and Prejudice or Emma- I think those are the most widely accessable, but all of her stuff is great.

Mainly anything by Tolstoy (except Anna Karenina) I like Russian novels :smile:
And anything by D. Johnson (excpet for his short stories Jesus' Son)

I want to read:
A Million Little Pieces
True Story of Hansel and Gretel
Snow White and Russian Red
Love Song For a Bad Priestess

I want to read Tennessee Williams: Plays 1937-1955! I've had it for a while, but school always interferes. :cry:

Then I'll have an excuse to get Tennessee Williams: Plays 1957-1980 :D

I'd like to read Anna Karenina and War & Peace (though I have the feeling I'll have to summon up the strength for both of those!...)
There are so many classics that I want to read - Middlemarch, Vanity Fair, some more Thomas Hardy (I've only read Tess of the D'Urbervilles)

I forgot this this thread existed :unsure:...

I don't allow myself to watch an film adaptation unless I've read the book it is based upon, so...
Bee Season By Myla Goldberg
Memoirs of a Geisha By Arthur Golden

Also...
Hunger for Memory: The Education of Richard Rodriguez By Richard Rodriguez (I've heard a lot of sh*t about this book so I want to see what everyone is referring to exactly.)
FastFood Nation
All The King's Men By Robert Penn Warren
The Bell Jar By Sylvia Plath
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest By Ken Kesney

I'm stuck with required reading for english... :angry:

I'd like to finish:
Rules of the Road - Joan Bauer
Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
Coral Island - RM Ballantyne
Northanger Abbey - Austen
Christine - Stephen King

I must get round to reading:
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - JK Rowling
Persuasion - Austen
Seven Ancient Wonders - Matthew Reilly
For Tibet, with love - Isabel Losado
Rose Madder - Stephen King
Small Island - Andrea Levy
Murder on the Leviathan - Boris Akunin
The Dark Room - Kate Seiffert

The next book I have that I'm going to read is 1984 by George Orwell. After that I want to ready Down & Dirty Pictures and Lolita.

orlando by virginia woolf. she is one of my most-loved writers but for some reason i've never read orlando. (and some other novels, actually, i want to read everything by her.)

the idiot by fjodor m. dostojewski (i never know how to transcribe it in the different languages, sorry.) the same as above.

100 years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez. love in the time of cholera was a great novel, but i couldn't find my way through 100 years of solitude yet.

ulysses by james joyce. a friend of mine just told me that she finished it, and she was like "i can't believe i read this piece of crap. :angry: :angry: :angry: "

but first, i want to read homer's odyssey.

i just realized my fear to run out of books to read was unjustified.. ^_^

All of Kazuo Ishiguro's books - bought a whole bunch from Borders the other day..... I'm a fast reader so hopefully will get through them in about a week.

Daily Candy A to Z
Burlesque and the Art of the Teese - Dita Von Teese
Fabulosity: What It Is and How to Get It - Kimora Lee Simmons
A Summer of Kings - Han Nolan
Once Upon a Day - Lisa Tucker
Just Listen - Sarah Dessen

:flower: :woot:

northernsky said:
orlando by virginia woolf. she is one of my most-loved writers but for some reason i've never read orlando. (and some other novels, actually, i want to read everything by her.)

100 years of solitude by gabriel garcia marquez. love in the time of cholera was a great novel, but i couldn't find my way through 100 years of solitude yet.

Those ^_^ and......

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath - I seem to have a preoccupation with death in novels and films (e.g. Virginia Woolf)
All The King's Men by Robert Warren Penn - Quickly, too... before the film comes out :lol:
Fast Food Nation - To keep me away from fast food and quickly, too before the film comes out... :rolleyes:
The Good German by Joseph Kanon - This one I didn't hear about until I heard that Steven Soderbergh was adapting an adaptation for this novel. Looks like a war novel with an actual plot :o, something I haven't encoutnered in a while...

I'm either reading Plath and Marquez next...
northernsky said:
i just realized my fear to run out of books to read was unjustified.. ^_^

That's impossible.

Oh gosh, I saw a bit of an article on a new book entitled Generation Debt... sounds like an interesting read. :innocent:

Your To-Read List

What books do you want to read, but just haven't gotten around to yet?

I'd like to read more Heller, specifically Picture This. I haven't head much about it, but it looks really interesting:

From amazon.com:

In a radical departure, Heller has concocted a clever, strange piece of experimental historical fiction. As the novel begins, slovenly, debt-ridden Rembrandt van Rijn is painting his now-famous Aristotle Contemplating the Bust of Homer. Suddenly, we are whisked from 17th century Holland to ancient Greece, where an exiled, weary Aristotle clairvoyantly watches Rembrandt doing his portrait. Not much has changed, the philosopher concludes as he gazes down the centuries at our dawning modern era of greed, wars and capitalism run amok. Written in a flat, reportorial style, omniscient in viewpoint, the narrative confusingly and annoyingly jumpcuts in time and spacebetween and within epochs. The chapters on Athens, where Plato pontificates while Socrates berates the belligerent youth Alcibiades, are occasionally wickedly funny. Best read in short takes, this startling parable about the degeneration of art into commodity and the survival of human values in a materialistic world demands total suspension of disbelief. For willing readers, it casts an undeniable spell.

Art and Heller's wicked humor... what more can you ask for? :innocent:

Your turn :smile:

There is so much that I would like to read but I don't have much time to read, well I could make some time but I just never actually get round to doing it...

So many...but: Hucklberry Finn by Mark Twain & 1984 by George Orwell are on the top of my list.

the list would be endless..... The Brothers Karamazov by F. M. Dostoevsy, Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke, Catch-22 by Joseph Heller for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->