Why Do You Own Both Authentics & Replicas?

^^ I guess I can side with that also, but working in the accessories industry, and being privy to costs and how much the actual bag is priced at before markup - I find it near impossible to pay some of the prices that designers are asking.

If a person is paying $2000 for a bag that I know would cost no more than $30... I personally couldn't deal with that - it would truly have to be a phenomenal bag for me to have to spend that .. and even then I'd wait for the sales.

i carry both reps and auths; i've never been asked about the authenticity of a bag. my mom and dh know that i dabble in reps (only reps that i can afford the auth of -- no hermes, here!). as for anyone else in my social circle, i don't think they care. (i'm not in fashion-related industry.)

if i were asked about a rep, my answer would depend on the person asking. there are some people i'd out myself to... others, definitely not.

Here's a question.
For those of us who carry both authentic and replica bags do you present them all as authentic? or are there some people that you fess up to about your little secret?

This thread needs a little life in it....^_^

I now know for a fact that I MUCH prefer the feeling of knowing that the bag I am carrying IS the bag i am carryinng and is supposed to be the color it is, And the hardware is correct for the style it is.:mellow:

I think we all have our own threshold of what we can or can not accept
(in life.....not just bags :lol:) I think we all know that there is no perfect replica bag....If you can deal and live with that...more power to you:woot:...If you can't, then you will always see the flaws.:rolleyes:

If i want to protect my authentic bag on a train or in a unpleasant situation or in bad weather, I now have a tote coat http://www.thetotecoat.com/
that I always have folded up in my bag, its a great cover up and protector....you should check them out.:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
My authentic Balenciaga was stolen with an authentic Louis Vuitton wallet inside. I wanted to die a wee bit inside... honestly, it took me forever to save for those. If those had been replicas, I think I'd be feeling a whole lot better. UGH.

Since this incident, I feel way more comfortable with my reps. They're very good reps, so I don't feel very concerned about being "outed". Perhaps, I'll feel more secure with auths in time...

/\ oooh Piperbelle I am so sorry. Where were you that your bag was stolen? I hope you had nothing in your bag that was irreplaceable, I know the bag and wallet is enough..but hopefully you will be able to replace them again one day...I'm really sorry:flower:

Thank you, bagalicious. I was actually mugged. I wasn't sure if I should mention that or not because people might think 'Silly girl... more obsessed with her bag than with her safety!' Though I love my bag/wallet, I certainly didn't put up a struggle for them... like Carrie and her Manolos... (ha)

On the topic of owning reps and auths, I love the experience of going into the store and buying the auth. There's something very special about that, and I hope I can experience it again. But reps have given me quite a bit of enjoyment as well, and for right now, peace of mind.

Oh dear Piperbelle...What a horrible expereince. As long as you're OK?
You will save up and get another bag in no time..or just treat yourself to a NBF to fill the space for now...whatever works for you...You poor thing.:flower: How long ago did this happen? maybe the mugger will just take your money and CC..and your bag will show up at the local police station? as the vessel from where they took the wallet? Once again I'm really sorry.

Piperbelle-On the topic of owning reps and auths, I love the experience of going into the store and buying the auth. There's something very special about that, and I hope I can experience it again. But reps have given me quite a bit of enjoyment as well, and for right now, peace of mind.
/\ yep...I agree.

Hey Lovedbychanel!!!!xoxo
Question
Just wondering...for all those with the NBF Ipad clutches/covers and who work in a fashion industry or environment, with people or friends who know there Bal bag shizzle and handbags and accessories, Has anyone ever asked you or commented on where did you get your cover? Do you tell them on line at a place called NBF? If so they will know that your bags are from there as well..I was wondering if this has ever come up with anyone..as whenever I take anything out of my bag, keys, purse, wallet in front of a fashionista or someone who works in the fashion industry I always get a "oooh where did you get that from" cute ***** who makes it kinda thing. People go gaga over my bright pink Linea pelle wallet..always ask where i got it. (for example)
I know Coco works in a corporate financial business setting where most of her colleagues don't know there Bals from there ****! But I was curious.:flower:

have a good day everyone:D

Hi girls, on the topic, I own some auth (LV Alma Stephen Sprouse Graffiti, Marc Jacobs & LV wallets..) and mostly reps, which i love them so much for me they are like Auth, i always look quite hard for the best IMO ok, it maybe be impossible perfect rep but at least very close fro me. I'm on the street fashion business and Bal's, Alexa, PS1 are all very common, not so much LV, Chanel...etc. I never had any problems at trade shows, fairs, runways, traveling Paris, Berlin London, parties...etc. I always carried them with confidence and with the appropriate outfit, so far i've got many compliments :P (at least for now )
Bagalicious good tip the totecoat.
I agreed with Piperbelle that you feel special when going into an Auth shop. it's a wonderfull experience, but the reality is that looking to my Alma Auth and to my reps from a while ago they all look beaten off to me, same corners gone...etc.:shock:

I used to only own authentic bags, but I recently got a Chanel J12 after reading how great the replicas are --- well I love it. I tried on the J12 and liked the watch but with the replica I don't have a heart attack everytime I accidentally bang it into something. Then again I wear it with a real Chanel necklace or bag or shoes sometimes. I guess I like to mix up replicas and authentic items that you can't get good copies of.

I'm thinking of ordering a replica LV mahina since it seems to be really well done and a lighter colored balenciaga - I have authentic balenciagas but a stud fell off one after a month and the leather gets dry --- so I'm going to try a replica for a lighter color again so I don't die if it gets a little dirty.

Part of the reason I'm swaying towards replicas is the insane price increases. Would I have bought a real LV if it was about $1,000-1,200, probably, but not at the prices they are now (mahinas). Same for Chanel. I got a reissue that I had to return because even though I could pay for it, a $3,000 bag sort of made me feel more ill than happy. There is no way the quality is there for the prices, hence you can get knockoffs that are almost perfect for so much cheaper.

Oh dear Piperbelle...What a horrible expereince. As long as you're OK?
You will save up and get another bag in no time..or just treat yourself to a NBF to fill the space for now...whatever works for you...You poor thing.:flower: How long ago did this happen? maybe the mugger will just take your money and CC..and your bag will show up at the local police station? as the vessel from where they took the wallet? Once again I'm really sorry.

piper - definitely check your mail too! robbers and muggers in NYC are known for stealing cash and auth goods (or, if they THINK it's auth) and sending the license, CC's, etc. back to the victim. this happened to me a few years ago and they just kept my cash and fake LV wallet (which was brand new from jacky).

Thank you for the info, thesiren. I've had all my cards replaced - a bit of a headache, but it's done. It'll be interesting if the lost ones turn up eventually...

I think I had a bit of an epiphany yesterday. After receiving yet another inaccurate replica, I think this may be the end of the line for me and replica bags. I'm not opposed to small accessories - watches, other jewellery, shoes, etc. But somehow with regard to bags, I am very particular (or, obsessively particular!) about accuracy. Probably because they are more "on display" than shoes, jewellery, etc.

I won't lose my fascination with reps and how close they are to auth. But in terms of shopping for myself, I think I'm going to back off... at least for a while. My closet is full enough with reps and auths alike... so there also is that issue! I think I'll be on an auth ban, too, for the foreseeable future. :wink:

This is a great thread! I'm definitely happy it was started and would love to chime in with my 2 cents!

I'm 24 and have been buying replica bags since I was 17. At first they were horrid selections right off of Canal Street, but at 20 I discovered the world of iOffer which then led to Catty which then led to Jacky, etc etc. I would buy the bags and love the idea of carrying something that was so highly coveted. But then as I got deeper and deeper into the rep circle, and as a member of forums like these, my expectations became greater and I began to scrutinize more and more.

Personally - I own several authentic bags but more of contemporary designers (Minkoff, Wang, etc). The higher end luxury authentic bags that I own have been vintage finds that I've either scored on eBay or thrift sales etc. But as for all of my current hi-end designer handbags, they are almost all replica. I choose to buy replica because I honestly feel that the handbag industry is so insanely tricky. While I do make a decent salary and could afford it - I just feel like the styles and trends come and go so quickly (sometimes faster than I can keep up) that I would just hate to pay $1K+ on a handbag only for a better one to come out 6 months later. Unless it's more of a timeless piece like a Chanel flap - which I have an excellent vintage auth of - then I just don't ever see myself forking out four digits worth of cash for a hand bag. I just can't do it.

Now it's weird though because shoes on the other hand - I own TONS! Chanel, YSL, Louboutin, Lanvin, etc etc. I probably spent close to $15k on shoes in the past 12 months alone, so far. It's an addiction I have. But with shoes, for me it's a bit different. I feel like shoes can truly transcend and withstand their style for many, many style seasons to come. So while I don't mind spending money on shoes, I do think twice before spending on a bag. And, besides for those wondering - I never, ever buy shoes for retail - I ALWAYS wait for end-of-season sales. The only time I did, was when SATC2 came out and I bought the now sold-out Brian Atwood Loca's for full price, which I've never worn and will probably put on ebay.

Anyhow, great thread girls. Sorry I got off topic a bit, but I'm so glad we're in here discussing this! :flower:

Oh and another thing which is a bit funny - I had mentioned this in the iOffer forum before: I remember my best friend last year had purchased a Balenciaga City in black with covered HW from Neimans - well a week later, her zipper tore creating a huge visible hole in the bag. I've never had that happen to my NBF's! She and I were both mortified! Well she took it back and exchanged the bag and got a new one. She's been okay since except for the fact that one of her covered studs has a nasty scrape on it.

I own both auth and reps. It depends on the deal I get for auths. I've never paid full price for authentic bags except for low-end designers such as Longchamp, Furla and Coach. I buy those because I want them to be workhorse bags.

I would never pay full price for a Chanel, for example. At least right now. I don't get the price increases and on the other forum I've heard of quality issues increasing that should be unacceptable for that price tag.

I got an authentic prada gauffre tote from Ebay for $300 and that bag is a $2500 bag. I study bags on the other forum to know what's real and what's not and so I was absolutely ecstatic when this girl started her auction at $300 and I won. I also bought a Veneta like this, and a Speedy 30.

To me it comes down to price and quality. If I need a workhorse I'll probably buy it authentic (and plus, most workhorse bags are not high-end anyway). If it's a bag that's way too expensive in RL, and someone makes a great rep of it, I may buy the rep. If I end up bumping into the real thing for a great price, I'll def sell the reps and get the sweet deal on the auth. I had reps of BV's and Prada gauffre before I got my auths, and I immediately sold the reps. Even when it's a fake bag, the real one just.....is awesome.

I own about 10 reps now, and no auth bags, and unless something unforeseen happens I don't think I'll probably ever buy an authentic (unless it's for waaaaaay less than retail).

I just have a philosophical problem with buying auth bags. But that's ONLY for myself; whatever anyone else wants to buy I've got no problem with! On my limited income, I absolutely would never buy an authentic; maybe when my salary increases and financially I can afford it, I would change my mind--who knows?

But I really love my reps! They're all great quality, and I carry them every day and don't worry about if they get beat up or well-loved. This sounds really shallow, but I just enjoy looking at them and carrying them--I feel like they make every outfit more "special." Maybe I'm enjoying the original designer's work, and maybe if I was a more ethical person I would buy authentic, but if I felt that way I would still be prohibited from owning the authentic due to finances. Also, I've got a hard time shelling out $1-2k for ONE item that I would be wearing.

I know this thread is about owning authentics AND reps, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I'm not judging anyone else's purchases; the way I feel about this ONLY applies to myself and no one else! I enjoy reading about others' philosophies on this subject.

shoestringtravel, that's totally cool. I like this thread because we can chat more. I don't believe in paying for brands, which yes, I know, by buying reps we are still doing that, but ideally, I would be paying for workmanship and style. That may have been true long ago, but I think now it's much much more about the brand.

I gave up on auths when I saw the how stupid the price increases were and to be honest a lot of them are now secretly made in China (oher low wage countries) anyway just like apple products and Nikes etc. They literally stamp it "made in paris/italy blah blah" once it is shipped back into Europe to be sold. Esp LVs...with how good the reps are (for example some rep speedys are excellent and spot on) I could not justify paying the full price for an auth. An auth Hermes I might buy though, who knows?

I have been enjoying my authentic bags SO MUCH MORE than any rep I have ever carried, there is a sense of pride, security and confidence that goes a long with it for me, and that feeling is priceless. To each there own.
I would rather save up my money and not buy 5 reps and buy one authentic bag. as that is approx $1000 or 2 authentic $500 price point bags.
I still have 5 NBFS that I rotate in to my authentic bag collection..less and less..but they still make an appearance every now and again.
I am currently in love with Rebecca Minkoff bags...and am eyeing up a devote as i type:innocent::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->