Why Do You Own Both Authentics & Replicas?

So.... Question: (*and this isn't directed at anyone in particular but it has come up a few times in the last couple of days)
If you see lots of people carrying an auth "X" bag around your city, but you don't know/can't tell from 20 feet away if it's fake or not and you don't want to carry your "X" because you worry that people might think it's fake......... If you can't tell, what makes you think they can? Why be worried? The so-called authenticators CAN NOT TELL. People don't actually walk up to you on the street and ask if they can compare your bags side-by-side, do they? How rude! You need to come visit me. You can wear even the most hideous fake and no one will notice because reusable grocery bags/totes are the most popular handbag choice. It's interesting, the wealthiest people I know would think you are a complete idiot for spending $300 on a purse. It's perfectly normal to have a 1.7million dollar home or drop $45K on a Subaru, but $800 on a purse? What a waste of money! :lol:
And yes, I understand that places like NYC are so much more into fashion, but has anyone ever browsed through sites like iOffer and took stock of where the bidders are from? I mean surely WE here on this thread aren't the only people using that site, are we? Even on T&D's site..... sure I recognize some of the buyers form here, but what about the rest?

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent point Ms bean/\
And I know that everyone has there own threshold of what and where they can wear and use there rep bags, everyone is different and has different views and works in different places and in different industries and in different enviroments.
For me personally..wanting to carry a replica Jacky Alexa bag when working with Alexa Chung last year and all her Mulberrys would have been a bit ridiculous for instance.:cry:
Or having my NBF in a 20ftx20ft makeup/wardrobe room with 2 other Balenciaga's and worrying that the authentic owners will say to me "why is your.......different" Is a "praline Lady" deja vu expereince waiting to happen IRL:lol:
Do I worry about someone thinking my NBF is not real from across the street "NO WAY":woot:

If i worked in a city that was not NYC and worked in an industry that was not label savvy or fashion conscious i would be a lot more relaxed and would be able to carry a good rep with a lot more confidence...This is not a disrespect of any other state or any other career or industry:flower:)
Just a personal explanation.
I guess men and women all over the world are customers of Ioffer. Out of all my friends I have 2 other ladies who buy from NBF and rotate there bags in with authentics.

Well I personally beleive that most of the high end designers (esp LV) have the items produced in one Chinese factory and then assembled in another one, hence the very, very good replicas. It only make sense since the labour is cheap and western corps have a bad reputation for putting Chinese factories against one another. I.e. they give one factory a contract for a year to make their items and then threaten not to renew the contract in the following year becuase they have gotten another factory in China to produce them cheaper. I for one no longer beleive the "made in italy" and "made in france" stamped on everything. Just the sign of the times.

Back on topic I just discovered the ioffer pictures thread - marvellous!

And I know that everyone has there own threshold of what and where they can wear and use there rep bags, everyone is different and has different views and works in different places and in different industries and in different enviroments.
For me personally..wanting to carry a replica Jacky Alexa bag when working with Alexa Chung last year and all her Mulberrys would have been a bit ridiculous for instance.:cry:
Or having my NBF in a 20ftx20ft makeup/wardrobe room with 2 other Balenciaga's and worrying that the authentic owners will say to me "why is your.......different" Is a "praline Lady" deja vu expereince waiting to happen IRL:lol:
Do I worry about someone thinking my NBF is not real from across the street "NO WAY":woot:

If i worked in a city that was not NYC and worked in an industry that was not label savvy or fashion conscious i would be a lot more relaxed and would be able to carry a good rep with a lot more confidence...This is not a disrespect of any other state or any other career or industry:flower:)
I guess men and women all over the world are customers of Ioffer. Out of all my friends I have 2 other ladies who buy from NBF and rotate there bags in with authentics.

bagalicious: I totally get where you are coming from. If I worked in a similar industry I might feel the same way. I see many Balenciaga's on the streets of New York. Some are obvious fakes but most look like the real deal. I work in Finance. I have only seen two people with a Bal bag in my office. One was an obvious fake due to the leather and hardware used on the bag. The other was an Authentic Outremer Giant City with GSH carried by an Asian woman. I believe that I was the only person in my building who noticed what she was carrying. Most people in my office don't really notice what handbag you are carrying. For this reason I do feel confident carrying my reps from NBF.

Last wed I was invited to a private party & wore my NBF Officier Twiggy. There were about 42 people there, including Alexa Chung herself. I felt totally comfortable w/ my nbf Twiggy. There were several auth Chanel m/l 2.55 flaps, no other Bals. I received several compliments on my bag.

And you know what? I can't remember if Alexa Chung was even carrying a bag at all!

It just varies sooo much! The experiences with NBFs and reps are interesting to hear! :flower: I appreciate everyone sharing their views and ideology about repping. It gives one much to contemplate.

There was a bartender (asian chica) at Champps the other day with what looked like a Violet GSH City... it was TDF. Loved it. And while she sat it RIGHT ON THE BAR IN FRONT OF ME, I couldn't tell you if it was real or not. It looked real. It slouched the way Bal is supposed to slouch. But other than that - My Go-Go-Gadget senses tapped out. :lol:

I definitely think sometimes we're more worried because WE KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM. But we shouldn't be. The ladies here - you guys have a plethora of rep knowledge and I feel confident that if YOU didn't feel confident with a bag, to the back of the closet it would go.

... now, what's the word on Rose Gold Giant Hardware? Cause Bois de Rose would be STUNNING with RGGH! Not that I'm thinking of purchasing or anything :innocent:

So.... Question: (*and this isn't directed at anyone in particular but it has come up a few times in the last couple of days)
If you see lots of people carrying an auth "X" bag around your city, but you don't know/can't tell from 20 feet away if it's fake or not and you don't want to carry your "X" because you worry that people might think it's fake......... If you can't tell, what makes you think they can? Why be worried?

I've been thinking (way too much) about the whole rep/auth thing lately and became rather ashamed and disgusted with myself for caring so much that a stranger *might* suspect my NBFs aren't authentic. If I decide to buy more auths I want it to be because I want shinier hardware, or an amazing color, the delicious leather smell...not because some random might spot an inaccuracy on my hardware.

However I feel the scenario is entirely different for someone working or involved in certain industries or circles of life where the risk of being "caught" with a fake bag could have a negative or awkward impact on your reputation. Before Baga even posted some of her possible scenarios I was already going to use her as an example.

It's amazing how if one little piece of you is deemed inauthentic, people will start picking apart everything. This applies far beyond bags and fashion of course.

I realize your question wasn't really directed at people in close quarters but more at people passing by on the street, etc. and in that case I agree with you 100%. Like I said in a previous post, reading elsewhere makes you believe that there are brand authenticators lurking at every intersection who know every detail of every bag when the reality is...bags are just one of the many things people focus on. For every passer by who notices your bag, there is also one checking out your shoes, hair, earrings, outfit, complexion, body type, or nothing at all. Someone who is constantly on skincare boards, or plastic surgery forums, is gonna be looking for boob job or botox tells and discussing this like we do bales and front panels :lol:

it's about personal feeling, not about our reps. you know it's not real, so even if it's the best, it's still not real enough. that's all.
it took me YEARS and lots of learning about these details, it's not EASY. i carry all my rep with confidence

And you know what? I can't remember if Alexa Chung was even carrying a bag at all!

exactly! to all of you who are so self-conscious over a bag...has it ever dawned that perhaps people aren't paying THAT much attention to you? :lol:

i attend NY and london fashion weeks every season, and sometimes paris (never milan :(). i have carried NBFs to everything from presentations to shows to breakfast conferences to parties and have survived without anyone pointing out imperfections or issues with my bags. if this is what you're searching for regularly, please get a life, especially if you are on the job. i am busy working, networking and saying hi to people i only get to see when i am visiting london and paris, so the last thing i'm doing is checking out the chanel next to me.

in baga's case, while i understand she's uncomfortable with it, i have to say, she's a celebrity makeup artist. she's fashion-forward and adorable with an outgoing personality. i would be so taken with these things that i'd hardly assume her bag was fake. based on her job, i would think it's auth and not think about it again. it's not like she's walking around with a hideous MC LV or something. :shock:

also, i think this rep buying hobby is a numbers game. outside of t&d, the more you buy, the more likely you are to get a dud. if you discover rep bags and decide to do monthly orders from jacky with dozens of items, yes, you are going to run into issues. like with all things, you will get tired of the hobby because there's no end in sight, you're just buying to acquire more. i think this is something we deal with in the rep thread because everyone jumps on the bandwagon of one bag even if they may not initially like it that much. i do this too, but i don't buy the bag. if i did, i'd be swimming in them and would have tired of this game by now.

^^^ So on point! I agree with this completely. I do think it's a numbers game and it's what you're willing to spend, risk and put up with. I have a fab raisin work...mirror has airbubbles. *shrug* tuck that bad boy in the pocket, zip it and keep it moving. The bag itself is immaculate.

And I agree. I only can tell a bad fake if it's a BAD fake. Case in point with the chick the other day. Good mercy! I wanted to take a pic of how bad that thing was. The color was beautiful... but it was a FrankenBal. :lol: :lol: SUUUUUPER long handles, EXTRA WIDE tassels... it was a mess. But she loved it. And therefore, whether or not I knew it was a horrid FrankenBal wasn't relevant in the least.

I don't judge folk by their bags. I love denim. Regular old Gap denim. No True Religion or PaperDenimCloth... just regular old denim. Some of my denim came straight from TJ Maxx. I love tanks and tees and H&M and Old Navy and I heart flip-flops, Target, and sneakers.... and I will STILL carry my bag like I snatched it straight out of Neiman Marcus. Most folks don't have the AUDACITY to truly walk up on you and ask if your bag is fake. And if they do, give them looks of disgust and keep it moving. Cause that's rude on levels that I can't even conceive. Someone said earlier they know people with piles of money that won't spend $300 let alone $2K on a bag - and so do I. They think it's downright criminal. Waste of money. :lol: (They don't understand... but to each their own! :lol:)

Again, rep, auth whatever. Carry what brings you joy. Life is too short to be obsessing over your bag OR to be carrying one that put you in the poorhouse. And life is too short to carry a bad bag PERIOD.

Love to all! :D

exactly! to all of you who are so self-conscious over a bag...has it ever dawned that perhaps people aren't paying THAT much attention to you? :lol:

i attend NY and london fashion weeks every season, and sometimes paris (never milan :(). i have carried NBFs to everything from presentations to shows to breakfast conferences to parties and have survived without anyone pointing out imperfections or issues with my bags. if this is what you're searching for regularly, please get a life, especially if you are on the job. i am busy working, networking and saying hi to people i only get to see when i am visiting london and paris, so the last thing i'm doing is checking out the chanel next to me.

in baga's case, while i understand she's uncomfortable with it, i have to say, she's a celebrity makeup artist. she's fashion-forward and adorable with an outgoing personality. i would be so taken with these things that i'd hardly assume her bag was fake. based on her job, i would think it's auth and not think about it again. it's not like she's walking around with a hideous MC LV or something. :shock:

also, i think this rep buying hobby is a numbers game. outside of t&d, the more you buy, the more likely you are to get a dud. if you discover rep bags and decide to do monthly orders from jacky with dozens of items, yes, you are going to run into issues. like with all things, you will get tired of the hobby because there's no end in sight, you're just buying to acquire more. i think this is something we deal with in the rep thread because everyone jumps on the bandwagon of one bag even if they may not initially like it that much. i do this too, but i don't buy the bag. if i did, i'd be swimming in them and would have tired of this game by now.

/\ Awww shucks siren....:blush::wub: Thank you for your kind words.
yeah true I am not walking around with a fendi zucca fabric bag with a prada plaque on it:lol: But the issue has always been very real for me, as i work hand in hand with wardrobe stylists and these people know there sh*......stuff..couldnt be whipping out a tomate ipad cover here if you catch my drift:rolleyes:
Once upon a time i was doing someones hair and makeup and they had the EXACT bag as i had with me that day..except hers was an authentic and mine was a rep...i just remember thinking (hoping) she was not a member of the other forum:lol::innocent:

Even tho my authentic bags might not be brand new authentic Bals or Chanels, there is a sense of peace and comfort when I am carrying a designer authentic bag in such close quarters.
I would have no problem mingling at an event ot a party with my NBF'S (and have done so a few times) no one is that rude to ask for a side by side comparision in that situation, But in a small room with 3 other women and 3 authentic bags...I don't like the risk of being the odd one out (or feeling it)
And you're right Siren I'm sure most think my stuff is real, as do i when i see other women in my field....I picked up my girlfriends BV the other day at a shoot...now that was real. or was it!!!!!!!

Sometimes when i am walking in NYC with Mr bagalicious I will tell him to look at the Balenciaga in front of us as we pass by...(He knows his bags as well..NOW!:lol:) he will call me and say ...."I have just seen an outremer rh".:lol: And he will say while pretending to cough NBF! hoping to get a reaction from the woman carrying the bag...how funny is that!:lol:
His boss has a Birkin and he complimented her on it a few weeks ago, and she got all girly and said "I treated myself with my bonus" like she needed an excuse to be fabulous...:lol:
He came and home and told me he saw a live Birkin...I am currently reading the book "bringing home the Birkin" by Michael Tonello..it's a lot of fun.

/\ isn't the book good fashiongirl87
It's made me think more about Ebay! I have about 6 authentic various designer silk scarves..I might try it...there not NWT tho :-(
I am also in and out of another book called "Deluxe How Luxury Lost it's Luster" This is a much more serious business written style of book, no frivolity..but still very good.

/\ isn't the book good fashiongirl87
It's made me think more about Ebay! I have about 6 authentic various designer silk scarves..I might try it...there not NWT tho :-(
I am also in and out of another book called "Deluxe How Luxury Lost it's Luster" This is a much more serious business written style of book, no frivolity..but still very good.

Try it baga but only if you don't wear them anymore! Dana Thomas's Deluxe How Luxury Lost it's Luster is amazing-i learnt a lot about the whole process of reps through this-would definitely recommend it. Did make me feel slightly LESS guilty about buying reps,:lol:

The mark up on designer bags is HUGE when counted against how much they cost to manufacture.

Also read somewhere that near the factories in China some bags are smuggled out by workers because of slight inperfections which mean they can't be sold to retailers. They effectively smuggle them out to sell them on effectively selling the real deal.. wonder if Jacky gets hold of these wonder real deal reps:lol::lol:

Here's a question.
For those of us who carry both authentic and replica bags do you present them all as authentic? or are there some people that you fess up to about your little secret?

But the issue has always been very real for me, as i work hand in hand with wardrobe stylists and these people know there sh*......stuff..couldnt be whipping out a tomate ipad cover here if you catch my drift:rolleyes:

Once upon a time i was doing someones hair and makeup and they had the EXACT bag as i had with me that day..except hers was an authentic and mine was a rep...i just remember thinking (hoping) she was not a member of the other forum:lol::innocent:

obviously carrying a rep of something that a: is a style balenciaga never made or b: is a color combination (ie, 07 vert d'eau with GGH) balenciaga never did is going to be a dead giveaway...

my feeling is this: the ladies (and gents) at tPF have been fooled by T&D bags and they are so-called "experts"...
the sales associates at brand boutiques, department stores, etc. are supposed to be "experts"
i'm not so worried about being called out by someone on the street, unless maybe it's nicolas ghesquiere himself...:lol:

it's no one else's business but my own if i carry a rep or not...
i have told a few of my friends (who are now T&D customers), but i'm not broadcasting it...
i work in the fashion/retail industry, with women who i know make much more than i do, but i dress and present myself in a similar way to them...
like thesiren, i have been to fashion weeks and many events through my blog, wearing my bags and don't really think twice about it...
if you project doubt, then it's going to be written all over your face...

my feeling is this: the ladies (and gents) at tPF have been fooled by T&D bags and they are so-called "experts"...
the sales associates at brand boutiques, department stores, etc. are supposed to be "experts" ...

Okay... let's stop here. THIS IS CRITICAL. (Or I'm overexaggerating, but whatevs... :lol:) I've learned a megaton over there (you know where) but seriously... I've seen AUTH pieces called out to be fakes and vice versa. (In the worst ways. Some people are just mean and petty, but I digress.) I don't know that, realistically, youu ever CAN be a handbag "expert".
I mean, if the people who WORK AT THE BOUTIQUES can't tell...
:innocent::rolleyes:

it's no one else's business but my own if i carry a rep or not...
if you project doubt, then it's going to be written all over your face...

^^^And THIS. If you're fiddling with, adjusting, flaunting, and throwing the damned thing about every nanosecond, you're ASKING for people who don't know any better and have serious boredom and self-containment issues to question your handbag's lineage. Just put it on and WEAR IT. Hell, if you reach around scratching and adjusting and tossing your wig/weaves/extensions about, people will start to suspect. Be calm, be cool, be busy doing whatever the heck you're doing. Swallow your paranoia. Rep hounds smell fear. :lol: :lol: They react off of it. :lol:

I don't offer up what my bags are... I don't go around shouting that I spent $2K on a bag either. But MY BAGS = MY BUSINESS. :D

I would say on average 6 days a week I carry authentics now, on a day when I am just running around and not doing anything I may carry one of my NBF bags....i have so many other bags now, that I am very into using them for variety and different nuances.
Different handles, hardware,and silhouttes, its actually fun to have variety.
Nobody has ever asked me if my NBF'S were a replica of a Balanciaga and I have never broadcasted it, So i guess I would say I pass them off as authentic..with the "you didn't ask, i didn't tell" logic.:innocent:
The only people that know my NBF'S are not Bals are my close friends and husband.:D

I'm off to a Linea pelle sample sale today...woohoo maybe i will be able to get a few beautues to add to my small but gorgeous LP collection, The leather on these bags is the best i have ever expeienced at a $300-$600 price point range bag...just incredible. My fave style is the medium dylan and the foldover totes..

i dabbled in reps a long time ago and due to my own personal opinions on respecting designs and creative ideas (being an artist myself) i chose to never again carry a replica ever. if i cant afford it, i dont get it, but im not going to carry something that in my mind equals everything i would hate to do to an artist and their vision; everything i would be against if i was a high end designer myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarenabrilcoleman
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->