Why is Vogue Australia so bad?

Models. Imo, are the most overused. Gemma deserves it. But the others? Miranda? Ugh....not really. But there should be a turn around like you said. It has a bigger budget to work with.

No, I don't mean just internationally-known aussie models like Miranda. We have so many great models at Viviens, Chic and Chadwicks, not to mention some of the nice NZ models (like Katie! i wouldn't mind seeing her on the cover for a 2nd time).

^^ Gemma has gotten a cover before, I'm sure, but it'll be nice to have her again as well as an editorial.

4 to be exact (5 if you include VogueGirl Australia)

I've compiled a list of covers just to see how many have been original over the years. There are a few missing, and I only went down to 2003.

The ones in purple are as far as I know, original covers - but if I'm wrong, and I could be, please correct me.

Mar 2003 - Nicole Kidman
May 2003 - Kylie Minogue
Jul 2003 - Holly Valance

Aug 2003 - Carolyn Murphy
Sep 2003 - Linda Vojtova
Oct 2003 - Rose Byrne
Nov 2003 - Carolyn Murphy
Dec 2003 - Eva Herzigova

Jan 2004 - Sophie Monk
Feb 2004 - Gemma Ward

Mar 2004 - Jennifer Aniston
Apr 2004 - Filippa Hamilton
Jun 2004 - Nicole Kidman
Jul 2004 - Tiiu Kuik
Aug 2004 - Nicole Trunfio
Sep 2004 - Gemma Ward

Oct 2004 - Natasha Poly
Nov 2004 - Gemma Ward
Dec 2004 - Princess Mary Donaldson

Jan 2005 - Charlize Theron
Feb 2005 - Naomi Watts
Mar 2005 - Mischa Barton
Apr 2005 - Lauren Bush
May 2005 - Luca Gadjus
Jun 2005 - Rose Byrne
Jul 2005 - Karolina Kurkova
Aug 2005 - Anna Maria Jagodzinska
Sep 2005 - Liz Hurley
Oct 2005 - Nicole Kidman
Nov 2005 - Daria Werbory
Dec 2005 - Gemma Ward

Jan 2006 - Cate Blanchett
Feb 2006 - Kate Moss
Mar 2006 - Sarah Murdoch
Apr 2006 - Sienna Miller
May 2006 - Erin Wasson
Jun 2006 - Jennifer Aniston
Jul 2006 - Mischa Barton
Aug 2006 - Natalie Portman
Sep 2006 - Keira Knightly
Oct 2006 - Melissa George
Nov 2006 - Kate Bosworth
Dec 2006 - Kylie Minogue

Jan 2007 - Scarlett Johansson
Feb 2007 - Cameron Diaz
Mar 2007 - Angelina Jolie
Apr 2007 - Katie Braadvedt
May 2007 - Caroline Trentini
Jun 2007 - Natalia Vodianova
Jul 2007 - Kirsten Dunst
Aug 2007 - Cate Blanchett
Sep 2007 - Alice Burdeu

*Bianca*

I'm pretty sure that the Nicole Kidman cover from March 2003 was from a Mario Testino shoot for Vanity Fair but all the others are originals.

Mar 2003 - Nicole Kidman

Not original - recycled straight from a VF cover from December 2002.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow - re-using alot lately.... i just remembered how much i loved that tiiu one.. she looked so gorgeous on the cover

the editor is so conceited - I saw her on a video of australia's next top model - and she was acting as if she was Anna freaking Wintour.

Nobody even KNOWS who she is?! Why is she the editor, thats what I want to know! She recycles editorials, covers and stories - plus they have the LAMEST most unoriginal editorials - model on beach in Marni - seems to be like a YEARLY re-occurence!! :lol:

Seriously, the amount of people who have stopped buying this and reading it is astonishing! I don't know how they keep in business! :ninja:

SO MANY other ... magazine publications overseas use repritns like vogue greece and mexico and a heap more.. also about the vogue australia editor does anyone know the editor in chief of vogue mexico? Yes she does recycle a lot of eds and covers but jsut look around you .. doesnt vogue greece also recycle as does vogue portugal (sometiems) , you should really jsut applaud vogue australia for putting models on the cover. plus they do do their own editorial and covers from time to time. What about september issue? Yes theres one or two preprints but the cover itself was gorgeous and vogue australia styled. I'm sorry but its not just vogue australia. Just because its an english speaking magazine , its easier to recognise reposts/article reprints

I love how the Australians try so hard to defend their magazine :lol:

^^^ :lol: I'm Australian and I think Vogue Australia is an absolute JOKE!!

SO MANY other ... magazine publications overseas use repritns like vogue greece and mexico and a heap more.. also about the vogue australia editor does anyone know the editor in chief of vogue mexico? Yes she does recycle a lot of eds and covers but jsut look around you .. doesnt vogue greece also recycle as does vogue portugal (sometiems) , you should really jsut applaud vogue australia for putting models on the cover. plus they do do their own editorial and covers from time to time. What about september issue? Yes theres one or two preprints but the cover itself was gorgeous and vogue australia styled. I'm sorry but its not just vogue australia. Just because its an english speaking magazine , its easier to recognise reposts/article reprints

I'm sorry but since when did comparing a magazine to the WORST Vogue magazines justify it's crapness?! :lol::innocent:

Just because a magazine re-uses editorials does not mean that it makes it okay for others to do so. Magazines and their editors should define their own style and editorials and encourage a unique and diverse magazine free of stolen material!

And don't even get me started on the fact that a winner of Australia's next top model ( A REALITY TV SHOW) got the cover!!! I mean COME ON! Whats next? A Big Brother contestant?

Kristie Clements is a obese and pretentious b*tch who thinks that her 'work' is above anything else because she works at VOGUE. Working at a publication as exclusive as that does not mean one can sit on their fat a*se and steal editorials and covers!! :angry::yuk::innocent:

I love how the Australians try so hard to defend their magazine :lol:

well, i can completely understand and accept the criticism from Australians, but i can't take seriously the criticism from ppl who have maybe only read/seen thru one issue a year, if that.

Hm. Well. I've been receiving Vogue subcriptions for a little over a year now (well, sis has) and I always look forward to reading the articles and the whatnot inside. I always find them interesting, especially if it's about people. BUT it annoys me to no end! to suddenly come across the cover of another vogue or any other prominent fashion magazine and realise that Vogue Australia has just taken that cover and used it again!
It's also quite disappointing sometimes when my friend hands me the current French Vogue and it's so thick you could knock someone out with it- Too bad that I'd probably spend a few months trying to decipher articles with my trusty French dictionary (by golly, I'm taking up French as soon as I can again!) otherwise I'd probably happily ask my friend to get it for me monthly- and ours seems rather 'underfed' by comparison. Also, for some odd reason, the ads that appear right at the end of the magazine annoy me- I just wish they weren't there- I just find some of them quite tacky, but that might be just me.

Sweetpop - just read UK Vogue or US Vogue instead, a lot of the articles I've read from there are reprinted in Aus Vogue with different images attached. I use to subscribe to UK Vogue till my renewal cost was too expensive. Subscribing to US Vogue isn't too expensive, it's US$70 per year for o/s subscribers, which is ok considering if you buy it per month it's not cheap.

What I don't understand about this topic is, if people don't like it, why do they keep going back? Speak with your feet. And just read the mag at Borders :P

You must admit they have picked up their game slightly now. I do like the Damien Woolnough features, after all the guy did a good job for The Australian newspaper, and his experience and contacts brings a more reputable quality to the stories (and is minus all the fluff and gush).

hey sweet pop - i entirely agree with those tacky ads up the back! who wants to see ads about psychics and stephanie macintosh model hair extentions! Those ads to make a bit of money for the magazine, so obviously it is good for them financially.

But they sort of show how bad the magazine is getting... of course those ads would want to be in vogue - vogue readers are supposed to be in the top two income brackets (theoretically), and so any of those ads would jump at the chance to appeal to people with alot of spending money.. but vogue can choose what can and what cannot go in the magazine and the fact that they repeatedly have these ads in the magazine shows they need the money that those ads in the classifieds bring in, and dont have any better ones that will pay to be in the magazine.

What I don't understand about this topic is, if people don't like it, why do they keep going back? Speak with your feet. And just read the mag at Borders :P

I guess the reason I always pick up Vogue Australia every month we receive it is becuase I haven't any of the other Vogues from other countries... and I guess, what you don't know can't hurt you... unless it suddenly comes and slaps you in the face :shock: Besides, as I said before, I love reading the articles in the magazine- regardless of them being taken from another magazine, they're always so interesting- and I just want to read them, doesn't really matter to me how they came to be printed in the magazine, ultimately.. unless! reading the articles means that I'm going to be guillotined because it was taken from another source without the original source details. Right. I'm confusing myself.

to fashionistasista: Yeah, you do have a point with those ads being in the back of Vogue, and well, money makes the world go round (sadly, sometimes)

I found this article by Damien Woolnough, it was some time ago, but its about Vogue Australia's Editor-in-chief Kristie Clements. It's kinda interesting, although I'm not sure what conclusion I should come up with... here's the link if you want to take a look.
Cheers!

Well i haven't really read other vogues that much to compare with but i have to say i used to borrow vogue from the library in town till i realized that there was so much in the mag i wanted to rip out and keep i should just buy the whole mag.

BUT now after all these years i check out the vogue in the library to see whether its worth buying. Its gotten worse and worse over the years. the last issue i really loved was the gemma ward dec edition 2005.

My boyfriend has actually told me just the buy UK vogue because he's sick of me complaining about the australian one

Here's a bit of news that might make us all like Vogue Aus a little more so (well for one issue anyway). A friend told me that the March edition (out early Feb) will come with Lagerfeld Confidential DVD - the Karl Lagerfeld doco which screened briefly on Aus screens late last year.

Might have to see if a friend has it and get a copy... don't feel like adding to my mag collection which I really have to cull. All my Aus mags have been recycled, I can't bring myself to get rid of my o/s mags yet though.

^ Will definitely get the DVD! Thanks for tips! :flower:

...and oh, I think one of the other reason why it's bad is because they don't pay their interns anything... :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahGarnet
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->