Boston shopping

Has anyone have a favorite sort of retail like store (Zara, H&M, UO) they go to than another? Best selection, staff, etc. I'll defiantly hit up on Newbury Street but was wondering if there's one Zara or H&M you prefer in a different location.

we only have 1 zara in boston (its on newbury street) the others are in suburban locations.

the best H&M is on newbury street.

the best urban outfitters is in harvard square. that gets the most sale items.

im the best person to answer this, as im in these 3 stores several times a week hunting. :wink:

ElleLesley, lucy definitely knows her stuff. Newbury H&M rocks! And in regards to 2nd Tme Aound, I've heard some fishy stuff about them. One of my friends has had good experiences selling things there, but the Yelp listings tell another story. The Closet, also on Newbury, might be a better bet. They have a lot of mainstream designer and upscale mall brands, but I've also seen some Marni and Comme des Garcons there.

In regards to Achilles closing, here's some more info that's basically straight from the horse's mouth. (The author of New Brahmin is the girlfriend of Achilles's co-owner.)

Speaking of New Brahmin, it's a good resource for keeping up with local sales and other retail/fashion events. For instance...apparently Stil at the Pru has closed?? (That one totally went over my head.....)

Chrissy...Re: sales, Madewell on Newbury is having a "Denim after Dark" thing tonight from 7-10. 20% off all jeans, free hemming & custom embroidery, free drinks from Beehive, DJ music.

I haven't been to Madewell yet...has anyone gone?

The one time I was in Newbury and The Closet was shut down, just my luck :lol: But defiantly, I posted some pics of what I was going to sell in the Boston vintage thread and The Closet might be the answer, dreamecho. If not, I'll just go around and see my luck... that is if I have any. And thanks all for the replies, will make a better shopping experience, I'm sure :flower:

i was actually in madewell today.:D

one good thing about madewell is that across the board the company has decreased prices in the last few months. the denim is cheaper. (they had a great deal of sale colored denim for 20$ a pair) the denim is around gap prices (although there are a few 99$ styles most were around 60$)there was a fair amount of sale items upstairs. some very nice coloured basics here.

i think it is a nice store to check out. i still have yet to buy anything there but overall the store is good.

i went into second time around around today and actually noticed a kathy lee gifford branded top for 10$. who are they trying to kid? :innocent:

The Closet has limited hours, best to call ahead. I saw your photos on the other thread and think they'd stand a chance there. Good luck!

i went into second time around around today and actually noticed a kathy lee gifford branded top for 10$. who are they trying to kid? :innocent:

:shock:

*shudder*

I did not know such a thing existed....

On a positive note, thanks for the feedback on Madewell. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive been hearing Louis Boston is closing, for the past 2 yrs now..So now I'm hearing Achilles is closing as well?

Louis, I certainly hope not, as it IS Boston..Yeah, we have Barneys & Saks & whatnot, but those are all New York stores, not Boston..Would be sad to see it go, because then, who'd carry Dries in this city?

Achilles, I don't know..I've never been there, and I don't know anybody who even GOES to that part of the city, much less for actual clothes..But we'll see.

Louis will move to the waterfront they say, after the lease is up. The resaurant has been closed for months, they dropped Dries!

story from bostonherald.com i am excited about jonathan adler opening here.

Luxe retailers play musical chairs amid Newbury Street flux
On the moveIs Newbury Street down and out?
That’s where the retail tenants are going.
In the past six months, “For Lease” signs have replaced mannequins in many storefronts on Boston’s toniest street as longtime luxury brands relocate or leave altogether.
The European clothier Oilily closed its doors at No. 32, the prized (read: high-rent) first block of Newbury, with reported plans to reopen farther down the block in the fall. Bliss (121 Newbury) and Kitchen Arts (161) both moved to spaces equal or smaller in size at 225 and 215 Newbury, respectively.
“The rent is cheaper,” said a salesperson at Kitchen Arts, explaining the move.
Some have given up on Newbury altogether. Sassoon Salon, a 20-year resident at 14 Newbury, rounded the corner last month to open a bright, first-floor space at 399 Boylston St.
“We always wanted to be on the ground floor,” said Martyn Duff, regional creative director for Sassoon.
This game of retail musical chairs has extended into other neighborhoods and even malls. Sean, a menswear shop that left about nine months ago due to doubled rents, now resides at 76 Dartmouth St. in the South End. Stil, a womenswear boutique that left Newbury Street for the Prudential Center last winter, suddenly closed those doors, and is relocating its store on the second floor at the Mall at Chestnut Hill to a less-centrally located space there.
Dizzy yet?
Some stores - many of them chains - have simply gotten the corporate heave-ho.
New York-based apothecary C.O. Bigelow left Copley Place, as did bankrupt Crabtree & Evelyn. But the failure of Richart chocolatier at Copley hasn’t deterred Hotel Chocolat from planning its first U.S. store to open next month at 141A Newbury (formerly Tess & Carlos).
“We want to make a big splash in Boston,” said CEO Nikki Doggart of the luxury chocolate brand that started 20 years ago as a catalog company. “Boston hasn’t seen anything like us before.”
Doggart said Hotel Chocolat, which will feature a by-appointment tasting room, already has planned events with Boston Fashion Week (the last week of September) to help build its fashion-forward brand.
“In spite of the economic downturn, our business is growing and growing strong. We’ve seen - touch wood - growth,” she said.
Other corporate brands are taking the risk as well. Ben Sherman plans to open at the former Sean space at 284 Newbury, and London clothier Ted Baker is setting up shop at 201 Newbury. Home guru Jonathan Adler has staked out No. 127 (formerly home of Comptoir de Famille).
Still, the block will need more new blood to get its high-end energy back.
Meanwhile, in the South End, the retail scene is thriving.
Longtime Mario Russo stylist Kent Newton opened his own salon at 1315 Washington St. and Flock, a womenswear boutique, is aiming for a September debut at 274 Shawmut Ave. And Jane Miller will open JEM, a home accessories boutique at 470 Harrison Ave. this fall.

its fun housewares. think of it as expensive urban outfitters except designed by a gay dude.

Louis will move to the waterfront they say, after the lease is up. The resaurant has been closed for months, they dropped Dries!

Yeah, I saw Dries (menswear) @ Barney's..Definitely nowhere near as good as what Louis had.. :(

This is a far cry, but does anyone know any good/affordable places to have a watch battery changed? My mom said she heard that Bromfield Pen Shop was great, but I'd like to have an estimate beforehand; with Bromfield's, I'd have to send in my watch, which I'd rather not do.

There's A Shop On Church Street In Harvard Square, I Don't Remember The Name But They Put Mine In While I Waited.

For custom fitted clothing from multibrands just north of the city Unique Boutique Boston just opened their showroom. They use the Intellifit bodyscanner to obtain your measurements then you can shop online to get your clothes. Go for people who like to online shop.

Their site http://www.uniqueboutiqueboston.com/
Brands / Main Company http://www.uniquescan.com/

(just noticed that this thread is on #659... I guess answering the first post is sort of out of line now.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->