Cristóbal Balenciaga (Disney+)

Putting this on Disney+ (in the US, at least) is just asking for blowback if you ask me - and for low streaming numbers. Disney should release it on Hulu instead.

You think a period drama like this with subtitles is going to get big enough streaming numbers in the US that isn't like... Squid Game? :rofllaughing: I think they know what they're in for.

If the show is any good, and with a marketing push rather than just dumping it, yes I think it could do decent numbers somewhere like Hulu. Spanish language shows often do very well on Netflix in the US, since there are close to 50 million Spanish speakers here. The fact it's a period drama with subtitles is exactly why putting it on Disney+ makes zero sense.

But anyway, I've just noticed this isn't even slated for release in North America yet, this trailer and Disney+ release is apparently only for Spain. So perhaps a moot point. I hope it does get a release here and I hope it's not on Disney+.

I guess I don't really understand why it'd be better off on a streaming service that isn't Disney+. Then again, I live in Canada and Hulu doesn't even exist here... when shows are on Hulu, god knows what streaming service they'll end up in Canada or how many months behind. Besides, aren't they merging Disney+ and Hulu?

And besides, I was referring to the blowback the show would get due to, I'm assuming, you were alluding to recent controversies for the brand. The people protesting Demna and his gang at Balenciaga are surely not going to watch a Spanish period drama mini-series on Disney+.

I guess I don't really understand why it'd be better off on a streaming service that isn't Disney+. Then again, I live in Canada and Hulu doesn't even exist here... when shows are on Hulu, god knows what streaming service they'll end up in Canada or how many months behind. Besides, aren't they merging Disney+ and Hulu?

And besides, I was referring to the blowback the show would get due to, I'm assuming, you were alluding to recent controversies for the brand. The people protesting Demna and his gang at Balenciaga are surely not going to watch a Spanish period drama mini-series on Disney+.

Disney has owned or at least partially owned Hulu for years, and traditionally, at least in the US, Disney-owned aimed at kids or families often goes to Disney+ and content aimed at adults goes to Hulu (Hilary Duff somewhat famously asked Disney to put her planned Lizzie Maguire reboot on Hulu instead of Disney+ so it could be more aimed at adult audiences) .... I think there isn't a lot of precedent of stuff that isn't family-oriented or superhero-type of stuff doing well on Disney+, there's a reason the two services have remained separate for years, despite Disney having a majority stake in and running Hulu. Maybe that will change? But I kind of doubt it. Disney always had branches for more adult-oriented stuff (Touchstone Pictures, and didn't they own Miramax?)

Concerning blowback. For the general conspiracy-theory-believing public, the name "Balenciaga" is still somewhat toxic. Disney is also on thin ice, currently as well, for related reasons. Whether any of that is warranted is a totally separate matter, but I think at the moment, premiering a show about Balenciaga on a platform generally viewed as kid-friendly, with a brand name that millions currently associate with grooming is just asking for bad press, for some sh*t-stirrers to paint that in an odious light. It would be an unforced error.

…. They better get the accents right.

so much potential for this to be terrible, I guess I'm still scarred by the memory of that mediocre Halston show.

It’s out now, has anyone in the US had any luck accessing it? I got a vpn and still can’t access it

I’m in Canada… so our experiences with streaming sites are pretty abysmal compared to Americans, but I’m watching the first episode right now.

Watched the first episode today and kinda curious to see more!

I'm almost done the series and I think it was pretty well done, overall. No real complaints. I would say for details, it follows the books Balenciaga by Marie-Andrée Jouve and The Master of Us All: Balenciaga, His Workrooms, His World by Mary Blume pretty closely. It's definitely one of the better fashion biographical offerings that's out there. They almost had me on the edge of my seat when silk gazar was shown to him.

The thing I find fascinating about this series coming out so closely to The New Look is that by having Dior in two series this year, it highlights how miscast Ben Mendelsohn is as Dior in that show.

Last edited:
Currently on episode 4 and enjoying this so far. I love that they did not skimp on the costuming because every garment looks incredible.

Never never never let Americans get their hands on telling a story on fashion designers: They always want to turn it into The Devil Wears Prada or desperate to copy Sex and the City. That Halston one with Ewan McGregor was so hilariously horrendous, I was convinced it must have been a dare to produce a mockery of Halston.

When Europeans take on the storytelling of fashion designers, it’s a very different thing. Premium production. Have no idea if the characterizations of all the players, and the narrative of his story, are acceptable let alone accurate to those familiar with his story. But the writing, direction, and let’s be frank— it’s admittedly more about the visuals; the display of their craft, that’s drawing us to these biopics. And visually it’s all rather glorious, in that sedated, sepia-tinged filter that film depictions of yesteryear often have-- as if life back then was always viewed through sunglasses on an always sunny afternoon…

I can’t imagine this being a hit with the average Disney+ consumer that’s drugged dazed on MCU/Star Wars junk— nor the average self-identifying faSHON victimz raised and weened on Beyonce’s Mugler/Gaga’s meatdress/Drag Race… But, if other designers were given the same treatment: Armani, Gaultier, Azzedine… that would be a glorious treat for a very select viewership.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->