Fashion Shows That Made You Cry (or Almost)

ghostwriter10549

Reaction score
I will probably regret of doing this tomorrow, but here it go. I hope y'all allow me to start this thread.

I know that this type of thing make some people laugh and call us frivolous, but you know, people like me (crying person) who loves fashion have this moment when a show suddenly becomes more than a show and the emotions are too strong to dont let it go, what its fair IMO, sometimes a show have so much creative energy involved that is difficult not to fell it. So im curiuos to know: this had ever happened to you? How many times? Do you think that is stupid? Please, lets share!

Here is my list:
Chanel FW09
Rochas FW06
McQueen FW06
Celine FW10
Balenciaga FW05

Dior Haute Couture SS04- The sheer amount of passion and creativity. We haven't seen anything like it since. It was a moment!

Prada SS08- The Fairy collection and the show that got me into fashion in the first place. It will always have a special place in my heart. I'd never seen anything like it. It was beautiful. The music added another layer to it. It's my favorite collection of all time.

Alexander McQueen FW08- Beautiful and Romantic. It had such an amazing set. The dresses were gorgeous. The music was intense.

Nina Ricci SS09 - The girl who lived inside the painting. :heart: Poetry and Fantasy.

John Galliano SS09- Unapologetically pretty and feminine. Simple, but absolutely beautiful. Amazing music and set. The headpieces and makeup was divine.This is one my favorite pictures.
15-john-galliano-best-looks.jpg

Jil Sander SS10- It was savage and sexual. The frayed edges and destruction of the clothes was beyond! The soundtrack from Zabriskie Point was perfection.

Rodarte FW10- The Ghost Collection. Beautiful and Artisinal craftsmanship. It was perfect. The doo-wop soundtrack was melancholic and emotional. They looked beautiful spirits.

Rodarte_fw_10_details_06.jpg
Rodarte SS11- Beautiful color palette and fabrications. It had a very basic set but the clothes did all the talking. The 70's rock soundtrack took you to the Redwood Forrest in California where the collection took it's inspiration.

Prada SS15- Post Cataclysm Chic. Shredded edges and clothing put together from scraps. Jewelry sewn onto tops. Gorgeous color palette. The soundtrack and the set couldn't have been any better. It all started with a bang When Gemma opened and lasted all the way till the end.

prada1-tmagArticle.jpg

stilettopancakes.blogspot.com, vogue, nytimes.

Last edited:
It happened to me during shows that I have attended. Not that I literally cried, but I felt all kinds of emotions. They can get overwhelming when you're actually witnessing a show in person.

I got quite emotional during Haider Ackermann F/W 13.14. The smoke, the models walking slowly to the sound of heavy footsteps, the piano in the music. It was such a haunting and gloomy atmosphere. The long, layered and draped clothes looked beautiful. I'm having chills just to think about it again. Here's the video :

Lanvin F/W 12.13. It celebrated the 10 years of Alber Elbaz at the house. I liked the models walking in the dark, illuminated by a white spotlight and the never-ending catwalk. When the show ended, a big curtain opened behind the runway and there was a huge after show. It was crazy. Emotional and ecstatic at the same time.

I also got emotional yet pretty excited at Hakaan S/S 2012. To see supermodels walking down the runway in front of you is an incredible feeling.

Speaking of emotional shows, I cannot not think about Raf Simons' last show for Jil Sander Fall 2012. The whole collection, the color palette, the decor were sublime. Models were even crying during the finale. Memorable.

Off the top of my head, Alexander McQueen F/W '06 and S/S '07. I've cried my eyes out at the Kate hologram and I always get very emotional when I watch both shows.

Yeah, never felt so emotionally invested as to cry. But I cry with music all the time.. and other silly things, so I guess it depends on what kind of connection you have with certain outlets.

What used to happen when I was younger and looking at fashion shows and being a "super fan" of certain designers, is that I would feel hysterically happy :lol:.. I would be in such a good mood after looking at something and my love and respect for them would skyrocket. That doesn't happen anymore.. ever.. I don't think it ever will because there are so many things I was definitely not aware of at that age and have understood about fashion that unfortunately prevent that kind of strong reaction. The closest now is whenever I find a garment that feels like heaven, that makes me smile and it also makes me obnoxious ("hi, feel these pants please" lol).. but not cry. Maybe if I knew the people involved and felt something more personal like pride or had seen the process and sacrifices, something I do get to see in my field (where I do cry a lot), which follows a similar sequence: endless months of work followed by spectacle/performance, but the performance is the ultimate mission and the cause of all drama and adrenaline, it's not the vehicle to sell something like a sweatshirt, so..I don't know.

Anyway, I thought Yves' final show was pretty sad at the time... it was all over the news and it seemed like his days were numbered. But they weren't, he lived for another 6 years. :bunny:

Here's the video, it wasn't that sad now that I look at it like a hundred years later..

Alexander McQueen S/S 2007

Tanya closing the show with flowers falling off was probably one of the best fashion moments ever.

Haider Ackermann S/S 2011

The music, those gowns, it was all very beautiful. I want to get married in that last look haha.

Nina Ricci Fall 2009

I didn't cry, but knowing this was Olivier's last show made me really emotional.

Dior Haute Couture S/S 1998

Maybe it was because of how Tim Blanks framed it on his Throwback Thursday video but this seemed like a show from a long gone era. This type of show just doesn't happen nowadays: agressively pretty and dreamweaving to the marrow, a nostalgic trip through fashion history. Not one ounce of cheap irony just pure admiration for fashion's great past. The staging is suberb, it brought a real yearning to be there and watch it unfold firsthand.

Balenciaga S/S 2006 and F/W 06.07

I nearly cried when I finally found HQ pictures of these two. Flawless shows, everything that high fashion should aspire to be (alas it isn't) perfect construction throughout, marvelous shoes, dynamic and of-the-moment despite their historical underpinings. I cannot believe how graceful the girls look, like angelic courtiers and mod fashion sketches come to life respectively.

Prada S/S 2015

I had to watch this in my school library and it was so worth it. One of the most magical moments I lived through fashion, this was the peak of my Prada obsession for it was everything I could have asked out of a show of hers. Just when Prada was starting to feel a bit too souvenir-y and Disney, she comes up with a very raw and poethic offering. The music and staging managed to enhance the whole melancholy vibe in a novel way. I didn't cry but I nearly approched fashion Nirvana the moment I realized just how perfect everthing was.

Hands down, the two shows I can remember shedding some tears over were Tom Ford for Gucci FW 2003 and John Galliano for Christian Dior SS 2004.

For Gucci, it was EVERYTHING that came together to make a glamourous, yet fragile show. The models walking across a sea of white rose petals in some of the most glamourous clothes I've ever seen, yet makeup that was broken and sad in a way, while Rob Dougan's music played. The lighting ! The mirror ! The falling petals at the end while Nothing Compares 2 U played. PERFECTION.

As for Dior, I cannot even put into adequate words what that show means to me. It just touches me everytime. Again, PERFECTION.

That Gucci show is so magical...the bedroom eyes and the amazing silhouettes, no other fashion show that I remember has managed to convey that type of mood: the femme fatale allowing herself to be vulnerable.

Gucci was all about unattainable glamour and status but shows like this showcased a nuance and warmth that few designers could attain.

That Gucci show is so magical...the bedroom eyes and the amazing silhouettes, no other fashion show that I remember has managed to convey that type of mood: the femme fatale allowing herself to be vulnerable.

Gucci was all about unattainable glamour and status but shows like this showcased a nuance and warmth that few designers could attain.

YES ! I totally agree with you on everything. In what could have been seen as one of the most cold/distant collections of Ford's at Gucci, the woman he presented was oddly so relatable and warm and likeable. It was the sense of something broke her to pieces, but she's still up powering through her day as best she could and looking incredible while doing it.

Over a decade on and that show is imprinted on my brain and nothing has even come close to pulling an ounce of emotion out of me like that show (and the Dior one as well, but in a different way).

when a show suddenly becomes more than a show and the emotions are too strong to don't let it go,
Art is designed to evoke an emotional reaction, be it through the medium of paintings, music, film or fashion. It's not frivolous at all.

Rodarte SS10- It was such an energetic, beautiful show that it made me emotional. I loved the rugged yet glamorous post-apocalyptic aesthetic and the music and dark and green background really brought the show to life.
00040fullscreen.jpg

Elie Saab SS10 - This is the show that made me fall in love with fashion. This show was so ethereal and dreamy that to me it seemed like a fairytale. It is my ultimate favourite show and brings me close to tears whenever I watch it. Perfection!
tumblr_p5j4f0fVct1txd0m6o1_540.jpg

John Galliano SS08 - I had never seen, and have not seen since, a show as amazingly whimsical, playful and energetic as this one. The models embodied their characters so perfectly and really brought the designs to life, to the point that I become completely immersed in a way unlike any other show.
5ad040c7b08c28a025ab35fa4d1230f3.jpg

Watching videos of the OG masters Gaultier/Galliano/McQueen at their potent best, presenting an otherworldly experience and not just a show, would likely have reduced me to a whimpering mess of joy and bliss… had I been there. Sadly, no such luck but their transformative power of sheer vision and pure force of personality remains as uplifting and inspiring today in video form— even if it’s mostly low res, as it ever did… I’m grateful to have easy access to these great visionary storytellers that have progressed the art of fashion presentation. I’m still moved— just not to tears.

This current era… is the epitome of soulless banality and mechanical reductiveness. Every cast looks the same, every show looks the same, everything is so meek, timid and so faux-DIY, with no creative conviction nor imaginative personality. I’m brought to tears with how utterly basic and generic every show looks these days.

I’ve been mostly emotional for the shows that I have attended but some were very intense in video too.

-Chanel Haute Couture SS 2004: My first time ever at a Chanel show. I was standing but it did not matter as the space was very intimate. To be able to able to witness the universe of Couture, to see such a beautiful collection with such a beautiful cast was a dream . It was a very elegant and classic collection and it’s still one of my favorite collection from Karl. I cried for the beauty and the experience and realized how lucky I was..

-YSL mens FW 2002: I think YSL menswear by Tom Ford was very underrated and that collection was very special. Super intimate! The proximity between the the models and the FR was beyond! The collection was very fluid and romantic with a very beautiful soundtrack. Oversized and sensual silhouettes. One of his all times best collection ever.

YSL SS 2003: Fabulous collection! Very strong, very intense and while quite perverse it was very romantic in a weird way... Tom got all the audience with the eveningwear and when Angie started playing. I wasn’t the only one crying that day...

Gucci FW 2003: It’s obvious but it was also the first time I cried watching a show! It’s may not be my favorite collection from Tom but it was all perfect from the clothes to the presentation. In the official video, they have edited the little mishap Carmen had at the end (it kinda killed the flow) but great show.

Alexander McQueen SS 2007: I think this was the most intense experience I’ve ever had at a fashion show! It was beyond and I guess I will never know if it was meant to be, but the last dress with the flowers falling off was out of the world! Showmanship at it finest and it will always remain Lee’s own Haute Couture collection. Thank god we did not have IPhones at the time.

John Galliano SS 2008: I wasn’t at the show but after the show, I received a lot of texts from people telling me how the Galliano show was fabulous, that I really missed an extraordinary moment! I managed to see the video with someone who got the videotape from the fashion house and we saw it like it was a movie. So joyful and emotional and really beautiful clothes...

Fendi Haute Couture FW 2019: Great show, great music and a feeling of « you made your mentor proud ».

Back then, these shows below did not make me cry but gave me the best feeling i've had : passion. Now with the current state of fashion, watching them again will make me cry because I don't think we will have shows like that. Maybe also, I watched them either when I was still at a very young age or at the very beginning of my career as an assistant so they strongly shaped my taste both professionally and personally. Here is the list :

Givenchy Fall 2007 :

The first show I have ever seen. Instant love for Givenchy. Instant love for Riccardo. I subscribed to VP, started to feel crazy about Carine, the VP girls, the p*rn chic. I wanted to befriend with the girls portrayed in this show, I wanted even to be married with one. This show was all about that and confirmed my insane love of black.

BONUS :

Givenchy Haute couture FW 2009.

Pure beauty. Mesmerizing. If you never seen this show, do it now !

Balenciaga Fall 2008 :

I have always been attracted to sleek, well-fitted clothes that make you look rich, cold and powerful.

N.B : honestly I want to say all Balenciaga shows under Nicolas are insane. It would be too long to list them haha.

Christian Dior Haute Couture FW 07 :

I began to be interested in Galliano by discovering this collection. The inspirations behind, the casting, the setting, the music. It was beyond anything I have seen or known and so far from my life.

BONUS :

John Galliano FW 2007 !! A must seen. It was like being inside John's crazy brain. It was so full of references, so overwhelming. I can watch it over and over and to find new details.

Louis Vuitton FW 2011 :

So french, so decadent. I enjoyed every second of it. Kate Moss at the end smoking was phenomenal. I remember I was an intern at Mixte and everyone talked about it.

Celine Fall 2010 :

This show simply shifted my taste from very dark and all over the place to something more elevated, elegant, timeless. Even now, I always have in mind this collection when I think about dressing myself. The codes that Phoebe have shown in this show really resonates to me even if I am a man :cool:.

Prada FW 2007 :

How wearable, original, so creative and luxurious this collective was. Prada shows were all good until ... we all know when she started to lose herself.

Last but not least, Alexander McQueen SS 2001 :

I always felt guilty to have discovered McQueen too late ( a year or two before he died). I was blown away by his late work and when he died I cried from being born too late, to not have been in the right places to be able to witness from my own eyes a show by him. This is the only SS collection from this list I have noticed and it will be the only SS show that I will forever love. This show was more than a show. It was a moving editorial from the start to the end. Lee elevated the concept of the show so high that only a few managed to equal (MJ and Karl from my point of view).

So sad that we can't add more than 5 videos.

Dior Haute Couture SS04- The sheer amount of passion and creativity. We haven't seen anything like it since. It was a moment!

Prada SS08- The Fairy collection and the show that got me into fashion in the first place. It will always have a special place in my heart. I'd never seen anything like it. It was beautiful. The music added another layer to it. It's my favorite collection of all time.

Alexander McQueen FW08- Beautiful and Romantic. It had such an amazing set. The dresses were gorgeous. The music was intense.

Nina Ricci SS09 - The girl who lived inside the painting. :heart: Poetry and Fantasy.

John Galliano SS09- Unapologetically pretty and feminine. Simple, but absolutely beautiful. Amazing music and set. The headpieces and makeup was divine.This is one my favorite pictures.
15-john-galliano-best-looks.jpg

Jil Sander SS10- It was savage and sexual. The frayed edges and destruction of the clothes was beyond! The soundtrack from Zabriskie Point was perfection.

Rodarte FW10- The Ghost Collection. Beautiful and Artisinal craftsmanship. It was perfect. The doo-wop soundtrack was melancholic and emotional. They looked beautiful spirits.

View attachment 1088721
Rodarte SS11- Beautiful color palette and fabrications. It had a very basic set but the clothes did all the talking. The 70's rock soundtrack took you to the Redwood Forrest in California where the collection took it's inspiration.

Prada SS15- Post Cataclysm Chic. Shredded edges and clothing put together from scraps. Jewelry sewn onto tops. Gorgeous color palette. The soundtrack and the set couldn't have been any better. It all started with a bang When Gemma opened and lasted all the way till the end.

prada1-tmagArticle.jpg

stilettopancakes.blogspot.com, vogue, nytimes.

Prada SS08 for us will forever be THE one...fantastic. Love many of the shows you have given a nod to in this thread...bravo x

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NaKel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->