Books that have made you cry

lostgirl

Reaction score
Ok, so we have a thread for movies that have made you cry. Has anyone ever cried reading a book, cuz I do a lot- and It's usually cheezy guilty plesure books too! Heres my List:
-Dragonfly in Amber- Diana Gabaldon-I was sobbing at the end. Fortunately on the last page there was a teaser that suggested that in the next volume of the series things might look up-and they did.
-The Bronze Horseman-Paulinna Simons-I was curled in a ball sobbing hysterically. My roomate came in and thought that someone dies or something! Thank God in the UK and Australia there a sequal (which I ordered) were things improve vastly. If That hadn't ended happily I think I might have needed major therepy!
-Almost Paradise- Susan Isaacs- I was broken up at the end, and this time there was no sequel to make things better
-Daughter of the Forest- Juliet Marriler- The heroine just goes through so much
I'm sure theres lots more I can't think of at the moment. Anyone else here ever cried over a book?

lostgirl said:
Anyone else here ever cried over a book?
Definitely :wink: Great choices ^ btw :flower: Off the top of my head:

The Famished Road - Not in any particular place, but it was so beautifully written that it made me tear up in parts :blush:

The amber spyglass by Phillip Pullman. though you kinda have to have read the previous 2 books xx

Divine Secrets Of The YaYa Sisterhood, where Vivi's mom is tearing into her after her birthday party, when she gets sent to that horrible institution and of course when she & Genevieve found out that Jack was killed in action.
Rilla of Ingleside, when they find out that Walter is dead. Sooo heartbreaking.
The Lovely Bones, for obvious reasons.
Little Women, when Beth dies.
Cat's Cradle, I laughed and cried when I read the last rites of Bokonon.

God made mud.
God got lonesome.
So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!"
"See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars."
And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
Lucky me. Lucky mud.
I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
Nice going, God!
Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have.
I feel very unimportant compared to You.
The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around.
I got so much and most mud got so little.
Thank you for the honor!
Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep.
What memories for mud to have!
What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met!
I loved everything I saw!
Good night

So many others but those are the few I remember.

There are tons, but amazingly, I can't think of one off the top of my head! It's quite difficult to read while your bawling though, huh? :smile:

little women.

cold mountain as well...I can't think of any others at the moment, though I know there are a few.

Tinuviel said:
Cat's Cradle, I laughed and cried when I read the last rites of Bokonon.

God made mud.
God got lonesome.
So God said to some of the mud, "Sit up!"
"See all I've made," said God, "the hills, the sea, the sky, the stars."
And I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
Lucky me. Lucky mud.
I, mud, sat up and saw what a nice job God had done.
Nice going, God!
Nobody but you could have done it, God! I certainly couldn't have.
I feel very unimportant compared to You.
The only way I can feel the least bit important is to think of all the mud that didn't even get to sit up and look around.
I got so much and most mud got so little.
Thank you for the honor!
Now mud lies down again and goes to sleep.
What memories for mud to have!
What interesting other kinds of sitting-up mud I met!
I loved everything I saw!
Good night

So many others but those are the few I remember.
oh that's just lovely, I love that bit. Oddly enough books by Vonnegut and Heller which make me laugh out loud often also make me cry :blush:

Amber Spyglass- Philip Pullman

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime- Mark Haddon

Only books *ever* that have made me cry.

*tinkerbell* said:
Amber Spyglass- Philip Pullman

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime- Mark Haddon

Only books *ever* that have made me cry.
The curious incident of the dog in nightime made me well up a bit too. The main character (forgot his name) was so inoocent.

I dont read much but here goes
Good night mr tom
Child called it and the whole seris
chinese cinderella
lion witch and the walldrobe, when the lion dies lol (i was like 10 when i read it)

The sequel to Angela's Ashes, 'Tis. So good.... the last sentence made me bawl. And I bought the book and on occasion I just read the last paragraph and :cry: .

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto.
Follow your Heart by Susanna Tamaro. :cry: (i actually took a break of 2 weeks with that book because everytime i'd read a page..i'd end up crying terribly).

lostgirl said:
The curious incident of the dog in nightime made me well up a bit too. The main character (forgot his name) was so inoocent.

I shed a few tears after reading that too, it was really sad. I felt really sorry for Christopher (the character).

Fyodor Dostoyevsky - The Idiot
the ending is such a powerful portrayal of the human condition's tragedy. When life breaks you and strips of you of whatever you love, you reach to an end. And the only thing you can do is to show kindness and forgiveness.

This is funny, becuase I've gotten very emotional (not really crying) while reading a fair number of these books. I got emotional at the end of the Idiot, as well as the Curious Incident of the Dog in Nighttime, Angela's Ashes, and a few more. Most recently, during Eats Shoots and Leaves, where I laughed so hard I cried almost every other page.

Haha, when I was in fifth grade, I cried after our class read Where The Red Fern Grows.

1)Uncle Tom's Cabin(My fave book of all time behind Harry Potter)
2)Little Women
3)Where the Red Fern Grows
4)Goodnight,Mr Tom

There is more but i can't think of them right now!Ugh i hate that

Sonja
ETA:What is Angela's Ashes about??

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember in fifth grade, Mrs. Murphy (just a sweet old lady) started crying as she was reading the end of Where The Red Fern Grows out loud, and she told me to finish it for her. Every single year, she cries at the end of that book. :blush:

sonjanicky29 said:
ETA:What is Angela's Ashes about??
It's about a young boy's poverty stricken youth in Ireland. I got a bit misty...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->