Books that have made you cry

the one and only book that made me cry was All Quiet on the western front because it reminded me on my dead grandfather who would never talk about war details with me because it was so painfuly for him to remember. It is hard for me to think that this is what he had to go through during the war. :cry:

I cried over All Quiet too....I was in high school when I read it. But those last lines do haunt.

For me:
Jose Saramago, Blindness. There are few books I recommend so highly, although parts of it are truly excruciating.

George Orwell, Homage to Catalonia. A failed revolution.

When I finished reading Vicky Myron's "Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World" I've cried my eyes out :P

Eight Graders Don't Cry. It was written by a Dutch children/youth writer and I was about 11 when I read it. It's about a girl that was 12 who got diagnosed with leukemia and her classmates help her through treatment, cheering her up and in the end she dies with her dear ones surrounding her.

the one and only book that made me cry was All Quiet on the western front because it reminded me on my dead grandfather who would never talk about war details with me because it was so painfuly for him to remember. It is hard for me to think that this is what he had to go through during the war. :cry:

awww that's so sad. i really admire all the older men and women that lived through wars like that. some are really open but others can't bear to mention it. i remember hearing stories from family members saying that they had no food :( i'll be sure to check that book out, i've seen the movie too.

this has most likely been mentioned but i really loved the book thief by markus zusak. it really moved me, and i phsysically had to put it down because i was getting so upset and i had to calm down before reading it again. i also really enjoyed looking for alaska which was given to me by a friend. it's more of a younger book, but it's still really moving. but most of all i loved the bronze horseman trilogy it was so amazing, such a great and beautiful story and i physically could not put it down because i had to find out what would happen next. seriously give it a go, it's amazing.

i'm thinking about reading 'the history of love' by nicole strauss, i hear it's good. has anyone else read it?

The Kite Runner & 1000 Splendid Suns from Khaled Hussein
Three Comrades by Remarque
Letters in a Bottle - I dehydrated....

Marley & Me by John Grogan
I almost cried my eyes out when Marley died. I gets really emotional when its about animals :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry Potter (mainly during the 7th book... aw man I'm tearing up just thinking about it!)
My Sisters Keeper
Charlottes Web (when I was little I was on an airplane and just sobbing my eyes out while reading the ending, everyone else around me must of thought I was a weird-o!)

^Yes My Sisters Keeper! that's such a great book. I cried so much all over my friends copy

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hussein
I cried and cried almost through the whole book.I could not contain myself, it is such a good book.

i remember crying my eyes out whilst reading "bridge to terabithia". its a children's book about dealing with the loss of a loved one.

i can't read "the road" it doesnt have any quotation marks in it. :ninja:

do we have a films that have made you cry thread?

i remember crying my eyes out whilst reading "bridge to terabithia". its a children's book about dealing with the loss of a loved one.

i can't read "the road" it doesnt have any quotation marks in it. :ninja:

do we have a films that have made you cry thread?

Aw I read 'The Bridge to Terabithia' for school in Year 5. It was so amazing

^ I finished the book a while back, and yea, it was really sad.

The Book Thief and Sarah's Key are books on the holocaust but the memories survivors have to live with are the most poignant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->