Fashion Stylists - Share Your Work, Give & Get Feedback

And since I have time ... I noticed I missed yours, too, Street.

i did a spread last summer, but the mag ended up passing on it. it was supposed to be 'The New Formal'.
The New Formal ... Good concept ... women's tux inspired looks. Works very well and I don't know why the passed on it. Only one concern to me ... the 5th look, looks more like a sports jacket than tux inspired. That is likely the angle it is shot from ... looks like there may be a contrast collar, which, if we could see, would make it totally on concept.

i had an online edit for Attitude recently. hallelujah.
The Attitude editorial, Perennial Florals ... also nicely styled and a great concept showing a modern trend. Shame the fourth one doesn't show the printed chinos ... unless you look very closely, it looks like it doesn't belong to the set. That is a photographer/editor choice, so nothing you can do about it. But I do like the creative layering in that look. My fave is the next one ... the printed Diesel jacket and the tie dye tank under it ... and the photog enhanced the whole thing with the background and the moody lighting. And like Spike, I also like the last shot ... prints against that floor works.

Last edited by a moderator:
^thank you Bette! :flower:

the formal story was all blazers/tuxedos in different variations. the look you mentioned actually was all Saint Laurent, even with the big bow, but the photog decided on this pose. i understand it, since it brought variety to the whole set, just was a bit sad to see the styling get lost haha.

with the look you mentioned in the Attitude spread, we actually agreed on a landscape format, double page, but i think the photog ended up deciding to maximize the number of pictures, instead of cutting one and having a double page. the chinos would have featured a lot better in wider double page.

i did another story recently, basically my first beauty story. the idea was tan and gold, i decided to use white to further enhance the (spray)tan and jewelry. it's not the most imaginative, and it doesn't even feature a lot of styling :lol:

oh, and i'm generally just posting a selection of the final stories, haven't posted a full spread yet :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_4964.jpg
    IMG_4964.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4968.JPG
    IMG_4968.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 10
Spike ... I have not been ignoring you ... you just seem to post your work when I don't have time at the moment to give it some good thought. But ... since you asked, I wanted to give you some serious attention too.

Re: the Walk of Shame concept ... I see it clearly in the first few shots and know that you could have nailed it, if you had been able to run with your vision.

I agree that having the guy there probably didn't help the concept along. Neither did the dog ... because who would have their dog with them the night before? Nor the Boom box ... IMHO. I don't think you needed props for this particular concept.

But here's my thoughts on some of the individual looks.

I'll start with my favorite (although it doesn't work as well within the Walk of Same Concept) ... the last set of two in the alley way. Immediately I thought "West Side Story"!! This is a story in itself .... something you could run with. The full skirt, the charm bracelet, the textured sweater all look somewhat vintage and true to the period, while the shoes add a super modern touch, bringing it all up to date.

I like the shot on the bleachers ... that dress (skirt and top?) with it's sheer bottom and the thigh high stockings showing through are perfect for your concept.

The two top pics work very well within your concept ... and since I have talked about this to both Maya and Andrea ... that is how to do black and make it interesting ... texture, pattern, shine on the jacket, some skin showing. Congrats! That's a real accomplishment.

I can see you have talent ... and I hope the next editorial will allow you to see your vision.
Thank you so much, Bette! I'm beyond flattered!

And like you, that look in the alley was my favorite as well. You can't see it as clearly as I would've liked in that particular shot (unless you're holding the magazine, in which case it's noticeable) but there's a lace-y harnessed bra underneath the sweater which, I was hoping, would lend it that "just woke up in a stranger's bed after a party and threw myself together" feeling. It just turned out that everybody's favorite shot happened to be one where it was more covered lol.

Regarding black, it's such a learning process. After doing one or two shoots early on where the black clothes -- which had some surface detail going on -- just didn't photograph well I just became very conscious of trying to make it pop however I can. Out of all the looks that look with the printed dress and leather jacket is the most "me" lol.

Street, that beauty story looks fantastic. With a concept like that you really don't need heavy styling because it's much more about the light, the skin, the mood. Looks really crisp and warm. Love it.

thank you Spike! <3

i like your white story, but i would have gone a bit more extreme. like, white/cream fluid silk pants, with white high heeled sandals.

re: black, i try to use as little black as possible. usually if i do, i tell the photog, so they can adjust the light. a good luminous light helps bring out details in black. silks and velvet together are also lovely.

but generally, black tends to swallow up details.

i did another story recently, basically my first beauty story. the idea was tan and gold, i decided to use white to further enhance the (spray)tan and jewelry. it's not the most imaginative, and it doesn't even feature a lot of styling :lol:

oh, and i'm generally just posting a selection of the final stories, haven't posted a full spread yet :smile:

I like the white ... and the simplicity of it. Sometimes less is more and a good stylist knows when to hold back.

Only one weird thing ... the jewelry looks silver to me, but I can see the gold nails on her ... But my monitor may not be right, so I can certainly envision the gold, and love the concept.

there are shots with more gold jewelry, the ones i posted are more white gold/silver. the gold comes mostly from the 'golden tan'. basically i tried to further highlight the tan. (which ruined the clothes :lol:)

ahh maya star: do you have other pics of the bjork shoot? that's such a cool inspiration/theme! :-D

Talking about musicians as inspiration, I have an editorial that just came out today on schon magazine online, which was partly inspired by MIA in a wanderlust kind of vibe... (I've been dying to share it, we shot it in november but had an issue with the publication date with the initial magazine it was done for.. anyway ^_^)
(Idk why they put the blue around the pics it's bit distracting imo... )

IMG_6377.JPG IMG_6378.JPG IMG_6379.JPG IMG_6380.JPG IMG_6381.JPG IMG_6382.JPG

Cool! Working with mixing textures and patterns that look like textures ... I like that. And look at the backgrounds ... texture there, too! The hair and makeup compliments it all. Dark, lonely, rainy day vibe. It all works.

Only issue I have is very minor and it's nothing within your control. Love the model, she's got the right look for this .... but I'd like to see her change her expression more ... it's rather repetitive.

Thank you for the critiques! :flower:

I was so nervous for this shoot because it was the first time I worked with another photographer, and i ran into so many obstacles before even getting on location for this shoot it was ridiculous but I'm pretty happy with it ^_^ I shot another story with this photographer that's really cool, I can't wait for that one to come out too :-))

Here is an commercial shoot/edit for a local -costarican mag- that day we shot outdoors and the light was a complete nightmare, I guess I deserve it for choosing it to be au plein air ... :P

All pics uploaded on postimage.org by me. From Imfamemag.

Like the colors and textures/prints a lot. Yeah ... the light is flat ... but it actually gives it an edgy look, which seem appropriate here. I also like seeing the backdrop out in the woods ... also rather edgy.

Only one concern for me: Just don't quite get the bag (which is very cool on it's own) and the pineapple ... one seems tropical and the bag looks equine/woodsy. But since it's a Costa Rican mag ... I am thinking that it might make sense to see both in the same forest ... so I am thinking it's just my perception, not a flaw.

ahh maya star: do you have other pics of the bjork shoot? that's such a cool inspiration/theme! :-D

Talking about musicians as inspiration, I have an editorial that just came out today on schon magazine online, which was partly inspired by MIA in a wanderlust kind of vibe... (I've been dying to share it, we shot it in november but had an issue with the publication date with the initial magazine it was done for.. anyway ^_^)
(Idk why they put the blue around the pics it's bit distracting imo... )

yeah! thank you will post soon!
Music is one of my favourite inspiration!

The first and the last pictures of your work are my favourite! Very cool!

Ultramarine: I love the idea of the white background and still seeing the greenery behind/around it :-) but since the background stays the same in all the pictures, maybe the poses should have been a bit more different (that's why I hate shooting in white walled studios >.< ) (was this like a lookbook or an editorial?)
Like BetteT said there's some cool texture/prints, I love the blue dress (the movement is awesome) but it feels a bit less casual then the other looks?

(As for the light it all depends, some photographers know how to deal with it, so I guess it's just a matter of working with the right people for certain conditions :-) it doesn't really bother me in these :-) )

let's up this thread again!

I have an editorial for an online magazine called Grit that came out monday, I don't really know what to think of it... >.<
I mean it fits the style of the magazine, and the association with the other pics are really nice, but personally I have a hard time with them taken a part... (but I usually have a hard time looking at my work when it's ultra simple :doh: )

Attachments

• nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-7.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-7.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 11
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-5.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-5.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 10
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-4.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-4.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 12
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-3.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-3.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 11
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-2.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-2.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 13
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-8.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-8.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 11
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-11.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-11.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 10
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-14.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-14.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 10
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-15.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-15.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 10
  • nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-16.jpg
    nick-quine-grit-swimwear-summer-16-16.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 11
and then I actually shot the Yohji Yamamoto catalog the day before my last post, which I can't wait to share with you once I get the pictures, but turns out: I learned just a few hours ago that two of my pics were being used for the fall campaign, and I had to share with people who at the very least knew who yohji is... :ninja:

13767161_10154342692489192_2667059637172465775_o.jpg 13653304_10154342696919192_7915225999520088945_o.jpg

Who Hoo! ... on the Yoji work! That is major!! It establishes you as a force to be reckoned with ... an up and coming stylist who we should watch. Congrats.

Re: Your Grit editorial. I have always believed that simple, done right, can demonstrate more talent than complex layers and looks that are accessorized to the hilt. It's really hard to show restraint, but sometimes that is exactly what is called for ... and a good stylist can deliver either.

It's like makeup artists ... only the best ones can deliver killer fantasy looks, but they must also excel at doing clean beauty .. a finely tuned "no makeup"look with flawless but natural skin.

Anything more complex, for this particular story, would be wrong. You delivered on this one ... it works!

Thank you for your comments bette.T!! I guess should relax a bit about the more minimalist shoots I do :-P I did a test shoot with that same photographer, which lasted 10h and half way through my mind was blown and I started loosing myself in trying too hard to make looks when it was just tests ^_^'
And thank you again a thousand times for taking the time to answer my questions and giving me all the advice you did before my Yohji shoot! It helped a lot! ❤️

No one around with new work to share? (Just wondering, this is my favorite thread on tfs ^_^ )

I retired when I moved to Palm Springs ... so nothing new from me.

Except to say that I am volunteering as a stylist at Desert Best Friend's Closet in the Greater Palm Springs / Coachella Valley area. This organization provides coaching, job leads and wardrobe for job interviews, completely free, to people who are getting back on their feet. So I get to use my skills (I specialized in plus sizes when I was a working stylist, BTW and that is a large portion of our clients) helping men and women look sharp and appropriate when they go out on interviews. It's very fulfilling ... most of them are very appreciative and happy when they leave our "shop". http://bfcloset.org/ https://www.facebook.com/bfcloset.org/photos/pcb.10157958841965112/10157958834800112/?type=3

And ... we also work with military wives, providing them with gowns and fancy dresses for their military balls each year. That's really fun ... working with the fancy stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->