Honoring Christian Dior on Centenary

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Honoring Christian Dior on Centenary
By Robert Murphy

GRANVILLE, France —
For the incredibly superstitious Dior, who was known to consult his tarot card reader before every collection, the breaking sun would have been just the auspicious turn required after a violent morning downpour on this small Normandy seaside town where he was born.
Dior's family house here is now a museum devoted to the memory of the man who invented the New Look and revolutionized post-war Paris fashion.
His centenary has given the museum a reason to put on its biggest and most ambitious show to date: "Christian Dior, Homme du Siecle," or "Man of the Century." It is meant to draw parallels between the influences of Dior's youth here, his artistic proclivities as a young gallery owner in Paris and his fashion career, which began in 1947 when he founded his house on the Avenue Montaigne.
Several dozen of Dior's most recognizable dresses are juxtaposed alongside paintings of artists he knew or admired, from Christian Berard and Balthus to Emilio Terry and Andre Derain.
A selection of Dior's personal effects, including his lucky star and the daily diary he kept in 1957, the year he died of a heart attack after going to a spa in Italy to lose weight, are spotlighted.

And there are bottles of Dior perfume dating back to the designer's first fragrance, Miss Dior, as well as confections created by his successors, from Yves Saint Laurent, who catapulted to fame when, at 21, he succeeded the great couturier, to John Galliano, who guides the house today.

But it is the quaint pink stucco belle epoque house and the contiguous ambling garden, much of which Dior designed, that best bring to life other facets of his aesthetic leanings and superstitions.
Each of his collections had a "Granville" model. And in every show at least one model wore his favorite flower, the lily of the valley, which is planted abundantly in the garden in Granville.

The Diors lived in the house in Granville, perched on a cliff with magnificent views over the dramatic coastline and sea, until 1910, when they moved to Paris. But they owned it until 1931, when Dior's father went bankrupt and the house was sold off.

Donnedieu de Vabres called Dior representative of the French "cultural exception," and the ambassador for "French elegance" around the world.
"It is remarkable because [Dior] shows that culture is also an economic and industrial motor," he said. "Culture can create value, employment and wealth. Culture is at the heart of our influence [as a country] and our economic future."

"Christian Dior, Homme du Siecle" runs through Sept. 25.

excerpt from wwd...

Last edited by a moderator:
the house....
the exhibit...

Attachments

• 051705_13.jpg
    051705_13.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 051705_14.jpg
    051705_14.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 125
"..the quaint pink stucco belle epoque house and the contiguous ambling garden":blush:

Great article, this sounds very interesting! I wish I lived in Paris, I'd absolutely go. I'd love to see some of those momentous creations we all know from pictures. It would probably very much dazzle me :P

Very cool! Thanks for posting. I love that dress :heart:

you're welcome everyone...:flower:
i never knew that dior owned an art gallery at one point...

or any of that stuff about him being so superstitious and sentimental...

and i love the last comment about culture...
that is the basic thing about the french....
the value they place on culture...it's just very french...
:heart:

That dress is really lovely, do you think that Galliano captures the essence of Dior, in his couture shows?

screenage...
i don't think he's trying to ...
maybe in the beginning...(and that's when i loved it)...
but he really seems to have gone his own way at this point...

dior's work was really timeless and beautiful...
and i think galliano's is more 'fashion-y' and 'of-the-moment'...

Oh I wish I could go, it must be wonderful to see. BTW, isn't that cream confection of a gown by Galliano? It sounded as though it would be only Dior's work.
00017.L.JPG

what year is that spike...?
i will have a second look and see what the article says...
:wink:

here it is...
that's so crap...
that they would show a galliano dress and not a dior original...
and that's the only dress they show...

:angry:

good spotting monsieur spike...
:flower:

And there are bottles of Dior perfume dating back to the designer's first fragrance, Miss Dior, as well as confections created by his successors, from Yves Saint Laurent, who catapulted to fame when, at 21, he succeeded the great couturier, to John Galliano, who guides the house today.

softgrey said:
screenage...
i don't think he's trying to ...
maybe in the beginning...(and that's when i loved it)...
but he really seems to have gone his own way at this point...

dior's work was really timeless and beautiful...
and i think galliano's is more 'fashion-y' and 'of-the-moment'...

Galliano has a strong aesthetic, but I get the feeling that he "denies himself" whilst creating couture collections, but I like Jg, he is not static like Armani/Chanel(Lagerfeld) designs.

As far off as Galliano goes sometimes I listened to an interview with him by Collin Mcdowell on showstudio.com. He does take it seriously and tries to do his duty to the house...of course that is what he says. Galliano's early work for Dior is just so good!

That dress is from Galliano's first collection at Dior, s/s 97 Haute Couture.....and I agree softgrey, it is quite odd that they'd incorporate Galliano's work, or anyone else's for that matter. If it were a Dior exhibition similar to the Chanel at the met where they look at a long span of history at the house I can understand, but the article made it sound like it would be strictly about Monsieur Dior's work while he was alive.

Mutterlein, I heard that interview as well, it was very interesting to hear the thought process behind some of Galliano's work at Dior, as well as just how much inspiration he gets from the archives...even if it doesn't always seem it.

Just thought I'd post the back of that gown, it really is a beautiful piece of work.
00018.L.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
screenage said:
Do you guys know if Galliano's interview is still up there

It's there, you just have to dig through the archives and find it. I have it as a MP3 if anyone has problems downloading it. We can arrange a trasfer of some sort though aim.

Mutterlein said:
It's there, you just have to dig through the archives and find it. I have it as a MP3 if anyone has problems downloading it. We can arrange a trasfer of some sort though aim.
how big is the file, can you email it to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zr90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->