John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

Dior desperately needs John back. Dior and John are like chocolate and caramel. Then they can put MGC at Givenchy which she is far better equipped for.

please take him back. please take him back. please take him back. please take him back. this decade-long rehabilitation has been too carefully orchestrated by the fashion elites for there to not be some big payoff.

Where we can see the new documental
I've been trying to find the release date for online streaming but I'm thinking it hasn't been picked up by a streaming service yet, they're probably waiting on how it performs on its limited release. I tried to be supportive (on your behalf, let's say lol) and watched it last night in a theater that was at maybe.. 15% capacity. It did sell out for the screening featuring a Q&A with the director.

As soon as it goes up online (if it does), I'll go back to my piracy days and figure out how to get this for you, Cholo! 😭.. for the newer members here: CholoChic used to never write regular posts, all he wrote for years were stanzas in every Dior/Galliano thread (!!). They talk a bit about Galliano's influence in the documentary and I was just thinking to myself.. the amount of Dior/Galliano usernames in tFS is no joke! 😅.. there really hasn't been any other designer in the 20+ years this site has been up, that even compares to the level of influence in young people.

No real thoughts on the documentary.. I stopped caring about his work ages ago. It's nice to see his trajectory and that he was indeed as insufferable and obnoxious as I remember him all of the 00s up until the scandal, and also a nice reminder that he was pretty cool in the 80s/first years in Paris. My main take from this is.. how does Robin Givhan get a Pulitzer, and how I need to read up on the criteria for that, there is no way someone so determined to overlook facts about addiction, research, background and context can be so fcking willing to go on record about what someone is or isn't and make wild assumptions on why the industry continues to support him, like when you talk to people are you actually listening to them or just waiting for them to shut up. Great journalism!

I also think it's funny the ratings for this are either 5 stars or 2 stars.. it goes to show he did the ultimate transgression where the most hypocritical people on this planet anchor their phony sense of morality. You cannot reason with these types hence the 'no amount of apologies will redeem him but also: why doesn't he just apologise?!'.. followed by looking at the mirror and thinking 'hmmm I don't think what's happening in Gaza right now is genocide, it's so complicated!'. So glad this came out right now to expose how dumb it all was. Glad he got clean in the process though..

Considering the top tier pr and press for this it would indicate John is back.

The documentary is a MUBI release, so I'm assuming it's going to be streaming on there once the theatrical run is finished.

balenciaga is in need of a serious rebrand and i could see john doing a great job there
Balenciaga is literally the only other place John could gon but LVMH wouldnt participate in rehabbing johns image via sidney toledano just to let him go make money for someone else. I guess they really like John and are helping him get his legacy back.

^ you’re not wrong! but also why so cruel! 🤣😭
Ahaha! I love his clothes for Margiela. I love that, except for the Artisanal line, he is forced to do clothes that would actually suit a woman’s lifestyle today. Seeing a bunch of models in drag queen make-up and exaggerated poses while wearing platform shoes in a bunch of conservative clothes doesn’t excites me.

What excites me about fashion is the « what’s next? » and when you have designers who are inventive and skills like that, it’s interesting to see their body of work.

I feel like all the narrative around Galliano are mostly about people trying to recapture a certain past and not think about his capacities. I loved the Lacroix collection for Schiaparelli. It was splendid! But I don’t think that Lacroix would have been great on a long run because when you have to think about the development of a house, it financial stability in order to be able to pour beautiful Couture clothes, you have to do RTW and be in touch with the lives and aspirations of women today. And Lacroix never managed to do that! However, I loved his collaboration with Dries…Because more than a lot of his peers, is in touch with women and men.

Already at a house created in 1988, he is going back to his old ways, I cannot imagine Galliano at a Classic house with a Couture heritage in 2024. I wouldn’t mind him at his own house though.

Balenciaga is literally the only other place John could gon but LVMH wouldnt participate in rehabbing johns image via sidney toledano just to let him go make money for someone else. I guess they really like John and are helping him get his legacy back.

Id like to see how he will do jpg. it will not be exactly like jpg but i think he will be able to mix his own aesthetic to it.

Otherwise Mcqueen is right there needing to be saved.

^ A master like JPG must understand this industry better than ever, John was his contemporary and JPG certainly understands why himself did not choose John. It could also be because Gaultier is more interested in younger individuals

jpg and galliano also had very similar sensibilities towards the end of the nineties/beginning of the new millennium anyway... galliano's design codes are very adjacent to jpg but done much better

The irony of a Kardashion/Jenner wearing something from this collection...

The lacework is exquisite, but without the context and styling of the show it just doesn't work as well in reality.

There is no way Dior is taking him back y'all. He can barely have his own label back. That ship has sailed.
PLEASE this cannot be said enough. It's never happening; we had a great run when we did, until it stopped being great and that's fine. If you really love the man and his work, why would you even want him to willingly return to a place that fuelled his addiction and lead to such a painful fall from grace? We should be encouraging him never to go back. Not to Dior, not to Givenchy, Balenciaga, Chanel...anywhere. Definitely not McQueen. He's not gonna go to any other house after Margiela either. This is it. By all means, savor the youtube videos and the images we have from his heyday era - I certainly do - and enjoy his tenure at Margiela. This is the catalogue. Point blank, period.

The only potentially delusional thought I allow myself is that one day, there will be an A-list museum bold and smart enough to host a major retrospective exhibition of his career. Ticket sales would be astronomical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noircheese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->