John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

I think Galliano will be a better fit at Schiaparelli. Is Margiela and Schiaparelli have the same owner?

Also, why don’t he just commercialize Margiela like what he did in Dior with the hip and trendy 2000’s

I think Galliano will be a better fit at Schiaparelli. Is Margiela and Schiaparelli have the same owner?

Also, why don’t he just commercialize Margiela like what he did in Dior with the hip and trendy 2000’s
margiela is owned by renzo rosso. he also owns jil sander, diesel, and viktor & rolf. diego della valle owns schiaparelli.

High & Low: John Galliano, the documentary on the designer directed by Kevin Macdonald, will release in theaters in the US, UK, and Ireland on 8 March. Canada will follow with a theatrical release on 15 March.

From VOGUE's announcement:
[Galliano] doesn’t spare himself over the course of the 116-minute run time of the film—which features contributions from Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Bernard Arnault, Charlize Theron, Amanda Harlech, and Rabbi Barry Marcus—as he comes to terms with not just his recent past but his entire life.

Not about his upbringing in south London in the ’60s with his Spanish and Portuguese parents. Not about his student years, where he went full-throttle with the hedonistic club scene of ’80s London while still managing to—notoriously—graduate from Central Saint Martins art school with a 10-look collection, Les Incroyables, which has achieved mythic status. And certainly not the cycle of ascent, descent, and reascent with his own label, with Dior, and with Maison Margiela while facing addiction issues, departures from reality, and the racist and anti-semitic outbursts in a Paris bar which brought him and his world crashing down in 2011. “It was a disgusting thing, a foul thing, that I did,” Galliano says. “It was just horrific.”

On the phone from London, Macdonald—who previously directed the Academy Award-winning One Day in September, about the murder in 1972 of 11 Israeli Olympic athletes—speaks to why he wanted to make a documentary about Galliano. “There are two reasons,” he said. First, “John is regarded as one of the great designers of the last hundred years—everyone tells me this guy’s a genius. What does that actually mean in the world of fashion? What does it mean to be one of the greats?’

The other, he goes on to say, was around those antisemitic incidents and the subsequent firing of Galliano from Dior and the ensuing court case in Paris. “We’re living in a time in which—and John’s is really the origin of this for me—well-known people, celebrities, are getting caught by some socially unacceptable behavior and canceled in one way or another,” Macdonald said. “I was interested in the question of What happens to you afterwards? Is there a mechanism for forgiveness for that in society?”

Much of the power of Macdonald’s film lies in the way that it refuses to neatly lead us to a place of forgiveness—it tacitly acknowledges that the path to that place isn’t one everyone will want to take but is, rather, full of conflicting signposts and complicated diversions. To reduce it to black or white is too simplistic. That Macdonald can do all of this lies in no small part to a subject who, the director acknowledges, was prepared to speak his truth but understood that not everyone would hear him. (The interviews with the designer were conducted over six days, for four or five hours per day, and with no minder or PR present.)

“John knows he will never be forgiven by everybody,” Macdonald said. “He wants to be understood—to have the opportunity to explain as far as he can what happened. And he wants his case to serve as a warning. But he was also concerned not to make his story too depressing. At the end, he says his story isn’t actually depressing, because he has come out of everything with a renewed life and a renewed sense of vigor and creativity.”

Galliano.jpg
Source: VOGUE

Why would they focus on his scandal? It's such old news. Why make him grovel more?

There is so much amazing work to feature and get into his creative process - let's focus on that now.
Whether the new is "old" or not, the scandal will always persist as the albatross on Galliano's shoulder.

It's difficult to say whether any other designer would recover from the same situation. It was always Galliano's exceptional and, perhaps, singular talent that spared him from an induced retirement.

i am reading a book about dior by john galliano, anyone know what Surprise is???a dress or collection or?? Text below:

This collection was an exercise in "armchair anthropology," a term usually reserved for the observational practices of late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century scholars. Monsieur Dior himself was something of a "mind traveler," frequently embarking on imaginary journeys through his collections. China, especially, appealed to the couturier's imagination, evident in such designs as Pékin, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Nuit de Chine, and Bleu de Chine. His Autumn- Winter 1955 Y Line collection included the Surprise ensemble of a tunic and skirt in salmon pink silk brocade woven with ivory chinoiserie motifs. Now part of the Christian Dior Museum in Granville, it belonged to the Duchess of Windsor, who had lived in China in the 1920s.

Galliano also gave his creations evocative titles that reflected his vision of China, heavily filtered through the orientalist gaze. The Absinthe sheath dress in chartreuse double-faced satin, is perhaps the most renowned: Worn by Nicole Kidman to the Academy Awards in March 1997, its form-fitting, qipao-inspired silhouette, replete with thigh-high slits edged in brown mink, recalled Shanghai Beauties depicted in Chinese calendars of the 1930s, a reference that Galliano explored more fully in his Autumn-Winter 1997 prêt-à-porter collection, entitled Dior's Pin-Ups. The dress also featured elements inspired by antique Chinese export shawls, including delicate macramé and embroidery. (Previously, in his Spring-Summer 1997 collection, A Russian Gypsy Named O'Flanneghan, Galliano employed prints of these shawls.) These elements were foregrounded in Alcée, a floor-length, bias-cut dress in raspberry pink double-faced satin with ornate macramé shoulder straps, luxurious knotted fringed hem, and refined point de Beauvais embroidery. With its masterful draping, creating a sleek and sensual silhouette, it evokes the figure of the Enigmatic Oriental, a cinematic stereotype from the Golden Age of Hollywood exemplified by the characters played by the Chinese American actress Anna May Wong. In a 1925 publicity photograph of the actress by Edward Sheriff Curtis, she wears a snugly fitting red dress embroidered with yellow peonies that closely resembles Alcée. Featuring an ornate fringed train, it appears to have been made out of an actual Chinese export shawl.
Alcée long sheath dress in raspberry pink satin embroidered with Chinese motifs, haute couture Spring- Summer 1997. Dior Héritage collection, Paris.

IYKYK - reading the dynamics behind this documentary correctly; John has paid his dues and is now allowed to be a mainstream superstar again. They got the guy who got an Oscar for an Israeli massacre film to do a Doc on the guy who got canned for Anti Semetic remarks. John has been forgiven. Meanwhile they couldnt keep him cancelled since Kanye…

I think his time at MM is going to come to an end and maybe he will even return to Dior. Since MGC seems to be getting packed up by Arnault.

IYKYK - reading the dynamics behind this documentary correctly; John has paid his dues and is now allowed to be a mainstream superstar again. They got the guy who got an Oscar for an Israeli massacre film to do a Doc on the guy who got canned for Anti Semetic remarks. John has been forgiven. Meanwhile they couldnt keep him cancelled since Kanye…

I think his time at MM is going to come to an end and maybe he will even return to Dior. Since MGC seems to be getting packed up by Arnault.
this is wishful thinking. dior wrecked john mentally and despite him reconciling with arnault and toledano, i don't see him ever going back to the house that enslaved him. i think he'll renew his contract at margiela for a few more years and then retire.

this is wishful thinking. dior wrecked john mentally and despite him reconciling with arnault and toledano, i don't see him ever going back to the house that enslaved him. i think he'll renew his contract at margiela for a few more years and then retire.
Honestly, Dior doesn't deserve John Galliano. He seems to be much happier at Margiela, even if some of his work there is questionable.

I definitely see Margiela as Galliano's "last act". I believe that he has a similar contract to Karl at Chanel, so he probably won't be departing soon unless he decides to retire.

Johns not retiring for 20 or more years. Im confused. Like Karl - I dont see him being away from fashion ever.

John was happiest at Dior. Those collections were cornucopias of finely made excess. Bursting with blended cultural influences. Johns Dior produced some of the greatest fashion of all time. To return to his throne speaks to Johns legendary status. A king in exile now returned to his keep - a shell of its former glory.

John is to Dior as Karl is to Chanel.

Last edited:
i cant find "Surprise" in this list
I think 'surprise' means unexpected; 'the surprise ensemble of a tunic and skirt in salmon pink silk brocade woven with ivory chinoiserie motifs'. Now part of the Christian Dior Museum in Granville
But I can't find a picture of it anywhere.

I think 'surprise' means unexpected; 'the surprise ensemble of a tunic and skirt in salmon pink silk brocade woven with ivory chinoiserie motifs'. Now part of the Christian Dior Museum in Granville
But I can't find a picture of it anywhere.
if it wasn't important info then i think they shouldn't have capitalized them, text by andrew bolton, lol so confused

I think it actually is called the Surprise look, but that list of ensembles is cut off. Charts from other shows go into the 100's of looks, and judging by this one being in alphabetical order stopping at M, Surprise must be on the next page.

Off track from Galliano sorry but googling about this has got me romanticizing about the idea of an old Dior so bad. 30 Ave Montaigne, everything under one roof: the ateliers, the fitting rooms, hat and glove makers, illustrators, dressing room, presentation salon, boutique on the first floor. So intimate and communal it seems being that small scale fashion powerhouse. With the globalization of everything there's no way anyone could create and sustain something like that now ... 😭

I think it actually is called the Surprise look, but that list of ensembles is cut off. Charts from other shows go into the 100's of looks, and judging by this one being in alphabetical order stopping at M, Surprise must be on the next page.
I tried searching for "Surprise", but the results didn't match the description of the dress. I'm not sure if those sources are correct. I'll wait until someone can help me TT.:innocent::bounce:

Off track from Galliano sorry but googling about this has got me romanticizing about the idea of an old Dior so bad. 30 Ave Montaigne, everything under one roof: the ateliers, the fitting rooms, hat and glove makers, illustrators, dressing room, presentation salon, boutique on the first floor. So intimate and communal it seems being that small scale fashion powerhouse. With the globalization of everything there's no way anyone could create and sustain something like that now ... 😭
It is quite romantic, isn't it. The operations of modern day Alaia are quite similar to this.

While Verriere has long been turned into the Foundation, Moussy's ground floor acts as a boutique, while the upper floors serve as the brand's ateliers and headquarters. They probably have a private showroom and a photography studio up there too. They do have three other stores (Marignan, Bond Street and Soho), but the operations are still very centered about Moussy.

I see this staying like that for a while, because Richemont doesn't seem so desparate to transform their whole fashion portfolio into 10-figure businesses.

Wasn't John rumored to have been tapped for a revival of Vionnet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noircheese
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->