John Galliano S/S 2011 Paris

it seems Galliano concetrates more of his creativity under her own label. this collection is so lovely. Like final dresses so much.

From what I've read thusfar, it's being received quite positively. Mostly hailed for it's passionate spirit and the fact that Galliano doesn't give a crap about what's in and just does what he wants to do. See Alex Fury's review for Showstudio here:

Report by Alex Fury 1 hour, 47 minutes ago.
It takes a lot of chutzpah to be John Galliano, especially today. Where does his luscious, extravagant romance sit in a season dedicated once more to stripping back? How to reconcile his trademark catwalk histrionics with the overarching mood? Galliano decided to take a bold, brave leap. He changed nothing. He did exactly as he pleased. And it was the high point of the season.
Galliano's anti-heroine for spring was Maria Lani, a twenties Parisian con-woman who posed as an actress and managed to convince the leading artists of the twentieth century to create portraits of her, for a film that never existed. All terribly interesting - everyone was busy googling her while waiting for the show to begin - but in actual fact, that theme was a con in itself, a great excuse for Galliano to do what Galliano does best: play-acting on a grand scale, dressing his models as characters, coaxing them to emote on the catwalk, and trawling through the history-books for a magpie edit of the best of fabulous fashions past.
How to describe the clothes themselves? One word: succulent. There was something mouthwatering about each and every one of them, each themed around an individual portrait of Lani but bearing the unmistakable hallmark of Galliano. That hallmark is lightness, a deftness of touch, a love of fabric and of women. It's impossible to describe the litany of dazzling techniques and unique characters that populated Galliano's catwalk - it was vaguely twenties, lots of frothed tulle embroidered with feathers, twinkling beads and fringe. There was hot colour, dazzling and masterful - imagine leaves of cerise, satsuma-orange, Agean turquoise and eau-de-nil effortless whipped up into a dress as light as croquembouche, or maybe scattered in a vague Chinoiserie print across a chiffon kimono. Add fabulously arcane travelling accessories like a tulle-stuffed crocodile suitcase or an empty baroque picture-frame, and top it off with Stephen Jones' witty caricatures of cloche-hats, towers of tulle and feathers wrapped around the head.
The fact that vivid colour and those eastern touches chime with the season's key themes for next season was neither here nor there. This was all Galliano, he was thinking of no-one but himself. Equally, it didn't really matter that there were gorgeous dresses women would fight to wear, or that Galliano threw in some witty pieces of tailoring and sportswear in buttery-leather that would filter down effortlessly to any retail floor. For once, in the great grand scheme of the season, this was fashion purely for fashion's sake, an utter and total celebration of individuality of customer, of model, and ultimately of Galliano himself, and that wild, epoch-defining imagination of his. At the end, Monsieur Galliano emerged in an explosion of gold confetti as the crowd stamped their feet and roared their approval. John Galliano ignored his better judgement, went with his gut and showed exactly what he damn well wanted to. Coincidentally, it was also exactly what we needed to see. Bravo.

I love everything - from shoes to gowns. So colourful)). Very Galliano. I even don`t want to compare it with Dior, cause it`s his own label, where he really wants to show his OWN creativity.

John, for God's sake, quit Dior and stick to your own label! PLEASE!!

Ugh, I am so excited to see the full video. This small video from Elle put a huge smile on my face and even a small tear in my eye...I feel the passion oozing from this show and just seeing those models I grew up with walking for John again is so pleasing. Love it...

I so envy how John just does whatever the hell he wants instead of worrying about trends and whatever else.

This is like fashion meets art, that's what I loved about McQueen! ^_^

The HQs are nice and seeing that video, I wish the pace was faster. I vote that Dior shows at this venue next time though.

Galliano is leaving me in limbo because sometimes I think he has lost "it" and then there are other times that makes me think "it" is coming back. I don't know what to think anymore.

I actually really enjoyed this collection!
I love the muse he chose, and the clothing seemed so Galliano, but in a more modern and wearable kind of way. Very fresh

Simply love... Does anyone knows what the last song in the ELLE video, I know the song I just forgot the name.

I really like it. So many collections have been boring or a disappointment this season. I'm thankful for this fun collection.

love it. as much as dior lets me down more and more every season, im never disappointed by john's own line. this was so fun!

Simply love... Does anyone knows what the last song in the ELLE video, I know the song I just forgot the name.
One is an orchestral version of Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol and the other is an orchestral version of Love Child by the Supremes.

I'm not really feeling this collection. It's not bad, but it's not moving me in the slightest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Byron Boy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->