Karl Lagerfeld disses Heidi Klum

I think their levels of celebrity are completely comparable actually. Just like you would have had to be living under a rock not to know who Claudia was in the 90s, you would have to be living under a rock not to know who Heidi is for the past ten years.

I think that the amount of exposure that Heidi gets is the same as any other top A-list celebrity we have today. You can't turn on the tv, go to grocery store, look at a billboard etc without seeing or hearing about her at least once a week. I mean she has endorsed so many things, she shows up at like every awards show, pops up as "herself" in tons of movies... one could say she is overexposed right now. I saw her on Seasame Street the other day for crying out loud.

So yes, Claudia is very famous, and Im sure a lot of people remember her, a lot of that has faded over the years. Heidi is definitely a bigger celebrity right now.

I mean, the fact that people ask Karl about her in interviews so much that he gets pissed off is a pretty big indication of how big Heidi has become.

It isn't so much even to be living under a rock, during the later 90's at most I was in middle school, am I going to care what model is on the cover of Vogue or what is going on outside of my everyday life? no, I'm thinking about school or sports.

Someone on Heidi's IMDB boards said the German media provoked Karl into saying it:
The Seal-statement came up like this:
The German journalist asked Karl, what he thinks of Seal. Karl replied: "Good singer, bla bla."
Then the reporter said something like : "Well Seal said that you are a poor man."
(Seal had been confronted before, what Karl had said about Heidi)
Then Karl's negative statement about Seal followed.
There should be a video of this, I'm guessing.

About the Audrey thing:
How much of a say in the Chanel company does he have besides the clothes? He doesn't own it-so does he have a say in how perfumes smell, what shades the makeup are and their compartment design, the campaigns and who fronts them? If he didn't, then it wouldn't be so strange that he would diss Audrey.

I think their levels of celebrity are completely comparable actually. Just like you would have had to be living under a rock not to know who Claudia was in the 90s, you would have to be living under a rock not to know who Heidi is for the past ten years.

I think that the amount of exposure that Heidi gets is the same as any other top A-list celebrity we have today. You can't turn on the tv, go to grocery store, look at a billboard etc without seeing or hearing about her at least once a week. I mean she has endorsed so many things, she shows up at like every awards show, pops up as "herself" in tons of movies... one could say she is overexposed right now. I saw her on Seasame Street the other day for crying out loud.

So yes, Claudia is very famous, and Im sure a lot of people remember her, a lot of that has faded over the years. Heidi is definitely a bigger celebrity right now.

I mean, the fact that people ask Karl about her in interviews so much that he gets pissed off is a pretty big indication of how big Heidi has become.

***Edit***
Claudia wasn't what Heidi is now. I don't mean once a week but every day.People EVEN NOW know who Claudia is (and not because her fame got resurrected or whatever).In twenty years, people will still know who Claudia is because she is a supermodel, Heidi will be barely remembered.Heidi is like a top A celeb now ? Sure, like Tyra Banks, some ephemeral celeb that will fade away.I'm talking about a celebrity who was part of a phenomenom.

Heidi except for German-speaking countries and the U.S (and maybe England) gets bull**** coverage over Europe and probably the rest of the world (as in I don't see her ANYWHERE here.TV ? Nowhere ? Supermarkets ? For what brand again ? Magazines ? When did that happen ?).Claudia, I'm pretty positive about it was ALL OVER the map AND the medias back then.I've asked 10 people, some of them don't even know what Heidi looks like (and we're all from different countries, only two of them are American).

Karl gets pissed off about anything , we know that.He mentioned Heidi Klum once, do you know how much he blabbed about Claudia in good or bad terms ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone on Heidi's IMDB boards said the German media provoked Karl into saying it:

There should be a video of this, I'm guessing.

About the Audrey thing:
How much of a say in the Chanel company does he have besides the clothes? He doesn't own it-so does he have a say in how perfumes smell, what shades the makeup are and their compartment design, the campaigns and who fronts them? If he didn't, then it wouldn't be so strange that he would diss Audrey.

No one provoked Karl. HE started the whole thing by attacking Heidi for no apparent reason. Heidi's husband, Seal, defended her and then Karl attacked Seal.

This whole incident can be traced back to Karl as the root of the problem.

Comment from Karl is far too directed than random. My guess is Heidi made some dig on Project Runway like calling a design dated and too Chanel or something like that. Who knows. There is probably more to the back story than we know...

Though all of this does harken me back to the days when people watched MTV and they had their Celebrity Deathmatch...

It would be fun to watch Karl take on the tag team of Heidi and Seal... I would vote for Karl because with the two dozen rings, it is almost like having brass-knuckles.

I dont think Heidi ever made a dig at him.

I think it stems from the fact that shows like Next Top Model, and Project Runway etc are cultivating and interest in "high fashion" in the plebeians, the people that Karl has never really had to concern himself with. So that now when he does interviews, he is getting asked "What do you think of ANTM/GNTM?", "What do you think of Project Runway/Heidi Klum?". He probably thinks those subjects are beneath him. He doesnt understand why people care.

His reaction is basically "WTF I dont even know Heidi Klum, why do people care about her, shes not high fashion!".

^ Could very well be.

That is one of the things I hate about reporting these days. It is all sound bytes, spin, and little to no journalism. Will the statements had been given some more 'context'

IMO, both Heidi and Claudia are supermodels, Claudia took the high fashion route to get there and Heidi took the commercial / swimsuit-lingerie route, big whoop. As previously stated in this thread, Heidi is a fashion model, but even though she has done high fashion work, even her staunchest supporters don't consider a high fashion model, but you don't need to be a high fashion model to be a supermodel.

I agree with whoever said that Heidi is everywhere: reality TV, Vogue covers, Victoriaa's Secret TV and print work, campaigns / endorsements / spokesmodel for other products, celebrity magazine profiles, appearances on talk shows, etc. Over the past several months (probably starting with the pregnancy rumors), I have been surprised at just how famous Heidi really is, six months ago I would have generously classified her a B-list celebrity, but she is definitely A-list.

As far as the quantity of work matter is concerned, a commercial model like Heidi does not need to do the same quantity of work that is associated with high fashion models. You show up on set, shoot the commercial or ad, and collect a few hundred thousand dollars, if not millions of dollars and go home. Covers and editorials are wonderful things and I love the beauty and artistry of them, but many of the prestigious magazines pay the models very little, if at all, for their eds. Heidi has stated that earlier in her career she wanted be sent out to audition for high fashion gigs but her agency wouldn't send her because they were too busy booking her for commercial and catalog work. It makes no sense to me to use the quantity argument against Heidi, you are penalizing her for being able to bypass the runway-editorial mill and go directly into the money making side of the business.

I think Claudia will be remebered as someone like twiggy, claudia is the most succesful model ever, she covered more than 1000 magazines. A comparison with Heidi Klum is ridiculous.

I guess that's how I feel about it too, but I give up.I mean, try explaining how Paris Hilton's fame is nothing in comparison to Marilyn Monroe to someone who's barely heard of Marilyn and it gets very funny.

All in all, you can't compare the celebrity of a topmodel who got very successful and famous for just the past few years in a few countries and whose achievement and fame is nothing groundbreaking (in the history of fashion or even fame) to a model who's been considered as one of the most successful supermodels in the history of fashion and fame worldwide for the past 20 years (and whose first name is almost synonymous of a supermodel status).

The thing is, a "Supermodel" is subjective, but most agree that a supermodel is known to people outside of fashion and its fans for her modeling work. For the most part, Heidi got known to most people as a TV show host for Project Runway. She is huge in the US though.
But I asked my mom's assistant and she said in the 90s, Claudia was bigger so...
And I agree with Iloveyoutoo (post 126)

The problem is that some people are a little too young to understand the process of fame.Of course, if you're a teenager or in your early twenties, it's hard to explain the ephemeral aspect of fame and how constricted it is in some cases when you haven't been around for a long time (I don't mean it in a condescending way).

^hey I've been around awhile and Claudia has had her heyday. That is way the younger ones say Claudia who? She is not #1 in everyones book. Not everyone has to share your opinion. I'm glad you think she is #1 but respect other peoples views and opinions when they don't share the same opinion as you.

As agee just posted

IMO, both Heidi and Claudia are supermodels, Claudia took the high fashion route to get there and Heidi took the commercial / swimsuit-lingerie route, big whoop. As previously stated in this thread, Heidi is a fashion model, but even though she has done high fashion work, even her staunchest supporters don't consider a high fashion model, but you don't need to be a high fashion model to be a supermodel.

^This is also my opinion.

I don't like Claudia Schiffer.I've never been a fan of hers.I don't think of her as a number one model,simply because she's far from being my favourite one.Being successful and famous for 20 y years in terms of money,worldwide exposure and longevity is not something abstract,it's just facts and numbers.Of course, for anyone who's been into fashion (and therefore relatingly fame) for around 20 y (like me) when you talk about someone who's been a very successful model/celebrity for only a few years (whose achievement in business is nothing groundbreaking) and refer to her as being a supermodel on par with Claudia Schiffer, it sounds hilarious.Then, any succesful topmodel is a supermodel.Howver, imo, history has stopped producing supermodels some time ago.

hiffer, it sounds hilarious.

^To you (and some others).......that's the difference.

Other people see Heidi in an obvious different light and good for Heidi~~way to go. Her achievements are certainly not hilarious.

Everyone knows your opinion, that is my opinion. I will not change yours and you will not change mine.

Her achievements aren't hilarious.It's the comparison between the twos in terms of worldwide fame/media exposure combined with its longevity that is. :rolleyes:

She has a very successful career, I've never denied it.

Karl is a bitter old queen. I don't care what he says. He reminds me of those kids who were picked on in school and therefore insulted the popular kids to feel better about themselves.

Anyway, by today's definition, Heidi is a supermodel. She's a well known celebrity around the world, just like Cindy and Claudia were back in the day. Why does it matter if she's commercial? She's still a model. I loathe the snobby, elitist attitude that high fashion is better than commercial. Anyway, few people outside of the fashion world remember Claudia. Yeah, she might be have been one of the original supermodels but how prestigious is that really? It's not like she actually contributed something worthwhile to society. I'd say that Heidi has the more enviable career at this point.

She's a celeb, that's it. Most things she does aren't even fashion commercial. She's more of an adversiting icon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franckcl17
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->