Karl Lagerfeld disses Heidi Klum

She's a celeb, that's it. Most things she does aren't even fashion commercial. She's more of an adversiting icon.

So what's wrong with that? Anyway, Heidi has dabbled in credible fashion spreads/projects. She's still a model, regardless.

She is a model of course, no doubt, but she is not a SUPERMODEL, Heidi is like 1000 miles away from supermodel status. She reached A-Celeb-Level, but not as a supermodel, she went another way, and that's good for her.

However, she is considered a supermodel TODAY. Today's standards are different from the 90's.

She's a celeb, that's it. Most things she does aren't even fashion commercial. She's more of an adversiting icon.
Exactly!!! In fact Heidi has even transcended being a supermodel to being a brand. A key part of a model's job is to be a sales person and no one does it better than Heidi, other models have taken note and are trying to follow her lead.

She is a model of course, no doubt, but she is not a SUPERMODEL, Heidi is like 1000 miles away from supermodel status. She reached A-Celeb-Level, but not as a supermodel, she went another way, and that's good for her.
But Heidi is one of the few models, including several of the supers, who achieved A level celeb status through her modeling. Giselle and Kate Moss dated high profile men who were much more famous than they were at the time they coupled up. In Heidi's case, she and Seal had an equal level of fame when they hooked up, and when they became a couple there was a synergy effect. As a side note, I think the same phenomenon occurred way back in the day with Claudia Shiffer and David Copperfield.
----------------

I think that people who don't want to give a commercial model like Heidi her due and then at the same time lament that models aren't getting the big contracts and are being replaced by actresses on the covers and in the pages of the fashion magazines are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. You need someone like Heidi Klum to keep models relevant as opposed to the models as interchangeable commodities paradigm that some designers like Miucci Prada favor. IMO the agencies should be trying to discover and groom more Heidis (I am not saying that this should occur at the sacrifice of the Tanyas and Natashas), because otherwise you are going to continue to see actresses and even personalities (e.g., Paris Hilton) getting fashion and beauty contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that people who don't want to give a commercial model like Heidi her due and then at the same time lament that models aren't getting the big contracts and are being replaced by actresses on the covers and in the pages of the fashion magazines are cutting off their noses to spite their faces. You need someone like Heidi Klum to keep models relevant as opposed to the models as interchangeable commodities paradigm that some designers like Miucci Prada favor. IMO the agencies should be trying to discover and groom more Heidis (I am not saying that this should occur at the sacrifice of the Tanyas and Natashas), because otherwise you are going to continue to see actresses and even personalities (e.g., Paris Hilton) getting fashion and beauty contracts.

I so agree with this. There are a lot of people who discover models like Natasha because they came here looking for girls like Adriana and Heidi. Like I posted earlier, one thing that Heidi (and PR) do is bring fashion to the masses. A lot like the Supermodels did in the early 90s.

Also, I remember Claudia's heyday. She was huge, but she has not maintained the same level of fame and exposure she had at her peak. She will be remembered, but her time passed a while ago.

Claudia's heyday lasted around 10 years (1990 - 1998) back in 1998 she was still considered as the most successful model ever (that includes the whole package besides high fashion, as tv and film appearances,derived projects,fitness,restaurant,billboards, pepsi and car adverts, time magazine cover) .She still gets a lot of exposure even 20 y after she started, in top designer brands no less (Chanel, YSL,Versace,'V' mag, Vogue,i-D,l'oréal etc just in the past two years).Heidi, besides some covers and shows got to be a tv presenter/VS model in a few countries for the last 5 y and got a great praise for it for the past 3 y or so.How does it even compare ?

She still gets a lot of exposure even 20 y after

No she doesn't. And I wouldn't take anything wikipedia says as 100% fact. And you are really down playing Heidi for some reason.

I'm done. I don't need a reply from you.

Getting top designer (Chanel, Versace YSL + mag covers) and brands for the masses (mango, l'oreal,etc) is what I call a lot.

High fashion or not, Heidi is one of fashion's most recognizable names today. She went beyond the modeling norm and turned herself into a brand. She's not just a model, she's a businesswoman. To people like Karl who insist on weighing her career down, grow up.

One of the most recognisable celebs today, yes as a tv presenter most specifically.A model as famous as Claudia Schiffer in the all-time most famous supermodels category,or even better in the list of all time most famous people, no.Supermodels like Claudia,Cindy etc went beyond the fashion/modeling norm because they became businesswomen,brands on their own, making millions as models which had been unpreceded (which is another reason that makes them more famous than other, as in,being a part of a phenomenom and the unpreceded aspect of their worldwide fame), so that's nothing unpreceded/unequalled on Heidi's claim either.

Heidi, besides some covers and shows got to be a tv presenter/VS model in a few countries for the last 5 y and got a great praise for it for the past 3 y or so.How does it even compare ?
Heidi Klum has been a "famous" model since the late 1990s, even in the late 90s / early 00s, Heidi was one of the few models (or even athletes) who could make a guest appearance on a television show as herself; and since then her fame has been continuous and growing. As others have said Claudia, was famous during the 1990s and then she dropped off the radar and has had a resurgence of late. BTW, the Wikipedia article is very Claudia Shiffer heavy even vis a vis other supermodels, so I don't know what's up with that; even so, it did not undermine the assertion that Heidi is a super model - the references to high fashion include adverbs and other qualifying terms like "usually."

Forget Heidi, I would even argue that Claudia Shiffer has not sustained the same fame level as many of the Big 6: Claudia herself, Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington. Cindy, Kate and Naomi are the the most famous and universally recognized and Linda may not be as known among the masses, but she seems to be the standard bearer among followers of fashion. I think that Claudia voluntarily stepped away to focus on her family and for other reasons, which is probably why her modeling activity and fame diminished, this is completely understandable and respectable. Also, as an aside in response to a previous comment, Claudia Shiffer is nowhere near the legendary status of Twiggy. Twiggy's heyday was 40+ years ago and while she works sparingly she has managed to be a highly recognized fashion figure in each generation following her peak.

As far as the "few countries," added together the US, Britain and Germany probably account for a significant chunk of the consumer base for fashion and beauty. Still Heidi is famous and bankable in more countries and continents than the US, Britain and Germany (North America and Europe), her reach includes .

One of the most recognisable celebs today, yes as a tv presenter most specifically.
Yeah well after Heidi pockets her multi-million dollar Victoria's Secret check, she needs to find other things to occupy her for the remaining 335 days of the year. The Wikipedia article often cited worldwide recognition / fame as a supermodel signature, well that is how you obtain and sustain the recogntion. Believe you me, when Heidi is on all of the talk shows and gets these "just because" invitations to the top events like the Oscars, many models - from newbies to supers, are not looking down their nose, rather they are wondering why they can't get these invites and what they need to do to get invited to these types of events. Again, Heidi is currently one of the most famous models, she has maintained that position over the years and has already cemented her position in modeldom, when it comes to securing mega-contracts, branding, and entrepreneurism

Heidi Klum has been a "famous" model since the late 1990s, even in the late 90s / early 00s, Heidi was one of the few models (or even athletes)

That wasn't her heyday, hers is still pretty much a short one since its quite recent and got a peak only in the last few years.

You can't possibly say that in the 90's she was as famous as the other models/supermodels.Her access to superstardom is only recent.

Forget Heidi, I would even argue that Claudia Shiffer has not sustained the same fame level as many of the Big 6: Claudia herself, Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista, Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington. Cindy, Kate and Naomi are the the most famous and universally recognized and Linda may not be as known among the masses, but she seems to be the standard bearer among followers of fashion. I think that Claudia voluntarily stepped away to focus on her family and for other reasons, which is probably why her modeling activity and fame diminished, this is completely understandable and respectable.
Also, as an aside in response to a previous comment, Claudia Shiffer is nowhere near the legendary status of Twiggy. Twiggy's heyday was 40+ years ago and while she works sparingly she has managed to be a highly recognized fashion figure in each generation following her peak.[/quote]

That's true for the other models as well.From Cindy to Naomi to Christy (not for Kate but she's younger), a lot of them have known a slowdown or even a disappearance for a short while (I'm thinking of Linda for instance, her comeback is recent) in their career in comparison to their heydays and their fame diminished as well.But to say that she's not part of the most recognisable supermodels anymore is nonsense.

As for Twiggy, she's been a name in fashion's history for the past 40 y.Claudia's career has started 20 y ago, and still considered as a part of fashion history for having been one of the names that were associated with the supermodel status, she's been a model for the generation of the 90's, and in the 00's has still been considered as the one of the girls who started the supermodel phenomenom, even now is still active for famous brands.Claudia has already marked the history of fashion as being a part of phenomenom (yes, that's also the unpreceded aspect of her career along with other models that makes her more famous), given the fact that she became famous during one of the media-based eras, it's pretty much clear that she'll be remembered as the face of the 90's along with Cindy and the others.Heidi will probably not mark the history of fashion (let alone as much as the supers of the 90's)

As far as the "few countries," added together the US, Britain and Germany probably account for a significant chunk of the consumer base for fashion and beauty. Still Heidi is famous and bankable in more countries and continents than the US, Britain and Germany (North America and Europe), her reach includes .

Germany, Northern America and Britain still count as a few countries for me (as opposed to more than a hundred, you have to keep in mind that A LOT of people haven't even heard of 'Project Runway').Meaning that she's only famous for the whole world and super famous for a part of the world.Meanwhile, the brands I've cited which she's been the face of, as well as the magazines have had exposure worldwide.

Yeah well after Heidi pockets her multi-million dollar Victoria's Secret check, she needs to find other things to occupy her for the remaining 335 days of the year. The Wikipedia article often cited worldwide recognition / fame as a supermodel signature, well that is how you obtain and sustain the recogntion. Believe you me, when Heidi is on all of the talk shows and gets these "just because" invitations to the top events like the Oscars, many models - from newbies to supers, are not looking down their nose, rather they are wondering why they can't get these invites and what they need to do to get invited to these types of events. Again, Heidi is currently one of the most famous models, she has maintained that position over the years and has already cemented her position in modeldom, when it comes to securing mega-contracts, branding, and entrepreneurism

She's a famous businesswoman and successful topmodel, I agree on that.

I'll stop here.I disagree with what Karl said and I don't agree with you.I've already made my point.I just don't get yours.

Germany, Northern America and Britain still count as a few countries for me (as opposed to more than a hundred, you have to keep in mind that A LOT of people haven't even heard of 'Project Runway').Meaning that she's only famous for the whole world and super famous for a part of the world.Meanwhile, the brands I've cited which she's been the face of, as well as the magazines have had exposure worldwide.

I meant 'the brands that Claudia has been the face of'.

If you compare Heidi Klum's quantity of high fashion work with ones of an high fashion model like Toni Garrn, you'll see that she can't be concidered as a supermodel.

Heidi works as a model since 1997 (?) now. Toni just since 2007. It's kind of obvious that Heidi is not a Supermodel/Topmodel.
Only a few of Heidi's jobs are even fashion commercial!

Heidi Klum

Runway: Zac Posen

Appreciable Cover: Vogue Paris October 2000, Vogue Germany May 2003 & June 200, Vogue Spain April 2003

Camapaings: Givenchy 'Amerige' fragrance

Photographers: Steven Meisel

Toni Garrn

Runway: for like every big designer

Appreciable Cover: Vogue Germany August 2008 & March 2009, Vogue Italy November 2008, Vogue Russia January 2009

Campaigns: Calvin Klein, Calvin Klein Jeans, Donna Karan, Chloe, Emporio Armani, Etro, Fendi, Hugo Boss, Boss Black, Jill Stuart, Prada, Versace fragrance

Photogrpahers: all important ph.

you cant compare a model now to Heidi because you can basically have your career boost like that after one season...which happened to Toni..girls today can land VI covers after one season now so models back then can not be compared to models now

I remember this from Fashionologie.com a few years ago I think its pretty relevant to this subject:

The Super Supers

Last Thursday, WWD publisheda top-ten list of the most recognizable supermodels, ranked by the percentage of the 1,800 polled who said they were familiar with the model's name. Some interesting results (funny how what's hot in the fashion world and what's hot with the general populace are two toooootally different things:(
1) Tyra Banks, 78%
2) Cindy Crawford, 77%
3) Christie Brinkley, 73%
4) Naomi Campbell, 67%
5) Kate Moss, 56%
6) Elle Macpherson, 51%
7) Heidi Klum, 46%
8) Rachel Hunter, 45%
9) Gisele Bundchen, 29%
10) Christy Turlington, 28%

Here is a link to the original article, I cant read it because I dont subscribe
http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/wwdlist-model-behavior-513465

If that poll was done in the 90's, Claudia would have made it into the top five with no problem.
I think Claudia's impact on the fashion industry is huge and she is a fashion icon, but not necessarily a pop culture icon. Neither is Heidi though, she will eventually fade into domestic bliss much like Claudia did.

The poll was made where ? I'm supposing the U.S.There's no way Tyra is the most recognisable name worldwide.

For the poll... What is the criteria? They said recognizable NAME... Given Project Runway, Tyra's involvement in TV, I am not surprised the name recognition factor... Again...Name recognition is more about CELEBRITY than anything else. Also... Who was polled and what was the demographic?

Given Tyra's and Naomi's tabloid issues, I am not surprised.

As for Heidi, almost all of her work is in the last 10 years. Her first VS runway was in winter of 1997

Her first SI work is 1998

Claudia was the face of Chanel in in the early 90s, as well as campaigns for Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, Ralph Lauren, and Valentino, as well as Revlon and L'Oreal.

These are apples and Oranges. Heidi's body of work is much more comparable to Pam Anderson than to Cindy, Claudia or Linda.

How many magazine covers does Heidi have? 100 maybe?

Claudia has over 500!

Heidi has built much more fame for her work POST modeling

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fraserhn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->