Karl Lagerfeld disses Heidi Klum

Actually, I thought about it again and realise something else.While I still agree the position I defended, I presented it with the wrong arguments.It's actually the reverse : it's not that Claudia has done more high-fashion and Heidi Klum is commercial but, if you measure fame by worldwide impact, Claudia is more commercial and Heidi is more fashion related.Statistically speaking, over the past twenty years, there's actually a bigger probability that people older than 20 in the world (and by worldly,I mean everywhere from Bangkok to Dubai to Paris or Athens.If you say that the market in fashion is more interested/confined to certain occidental countries, it's true but fashion is constricted, if you want to get commercial, you have to hit a lot more spots) would have cross/browse/buy one of the more than 500 magazines that Claudia has covered many times (let alone the ones she featured in, high fashion or NOT),watch a Fanta or Pepsi commercial featuring her,a L'Oreal tv advert or at least know as a common knowledge that supermodels was a cultural phenomenom of the 90's which she was a part of, THAN to have bought something/seen an advert from Victoria Secret (which is mostly U.S based), watch a 'Project Runway' episode wich gets broadcasted in a few countries (even though there have been many versions abroad, it's not as if anyone would know that Heidi Klum was in the original one abroad), buy something at a Katie's Candies store (which is U.S based), see the Macdonald advert (whose campaign featuring her wasn't released worldwide).What I mean is that, while people know the name of Heidi Klum as a model worldwide, the commercial brands she has represented haven't been exposed worldwide for her to become as famous as Claudia.Meaning that, while you just have to turn the tv on to watch her in the U.S or to go outside to get some of her commercial brands, in the other parts of the world besides U.S/Britain/Germany, you actually have to be into fashion to watch 'Project Runway' online, to know that she featured on some Vogues (German or American) and swimsuit issues of SI (SI isn't sold everywhere a lot).The other commercial brands she represents don't even have that much coverage outside a few countries.

I was thinking about how I know stuff about Heidi Klum while many of my friends who live abroad and aren't into fashion don't and I realised that I know all these infos on her because I am into fashion.Most of my friends who live abroad barely had an opportunity to be exposed to Heidi's commercial products in the past 10 y, there would have been a higher probability for them to have seen a Pepsi/Fanta, l'Oreal adverts or buy a magazine featuring Claudia in the past 20 y many times.

You could say that the U.S/Britain and Germany represent a big part of the market and it's true, but to actually be very famous worldwide and not just commercially successful you would have be exposed everywhere as a commercial brand.You could get very rich without being as famous as other people, you know.

It's only fair that since you live in the U.S, you could assume that everyone outside the U.S knows what you're talking about but for some brands regarding their incidence wolrdwide, it's not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ I disagree, I knew about Heidi before I became interested in fashion, because of the commercial type things, Claudia I will have to search because in the 90's I wasn't even out of elementary school, however, I will have to say reading the arguments on here, that Claudia was a phenomenon in the fashion world, because to me being a worldwide phenomenon is being known by many different people and age groups, say a phenomenon like Michael Jordan was, I only saw him play in the playoffs on tv, and that is very little, yet somehow I associated basketball with him, even though I didn't really care for basketball, or look at the kids over in Asia or in many regions of the world, what he has been retired for near 10 years and kids grow up still saying "I wanna be like Mike" that to me is a worldwide phenomenon, not just being out there, but being out there and people knowing and wanting to be like you to that large of a scale.

Again, it's just your personal experience (besides, you're less than 20),when it comes to probability and satistics on worldwide commercial exposure for the past 20 y, I think I stand right.

Actually, what are you talking about ? Michael Jordan has had more exposure via Nike and other commercial brands worldwide, so it's only fair that anyone in the world would know his name even when they're not into basketball.Heidi Klum in the past 10 y hasn't been as much commercially exposed WORLDWIDE as Claudia in the past TWENTY years.Have you even read my entire post ?

I know Heidi because she was was basically soft-p*rn. Lets face it. Lingerie is generally about sex appeal when it comes to guys, so when you think about SI Swimsuit Issue, Victoria Secret, Stuff Magazine and Maxim, etc... you are talking more about showing SKIN than fashion.

The difference between a FASHION model and a "Commercial Model" can be blurred at times. What made the supermodel was they ran the gamut... They were highly successful, commanded huge fees, were on the runways, as well as were the face of high end fashion houses, and while sex appeal was important, so much of it was about the presentation of the clothes.

The bulk of the wealth of these Supermodels was made from the fees they charged, sometimes upwards of $5k a day which at that time was huge, to their endorsements etc.

Heidi, on the other hand, has most of her money from companies and goods she produces, to her TV show, which, while has a fashion related component to it, is Entertainment/TV and hence why I lump her closer to Pam Anderson than to the supermodels.

The issue is one that has become blurred over the years... there really are no supermodels today and you are more likely to see spreads with reality stars and celebrities than you are to see models.

Is Megan Fox going to be the next supermodel? Or is she a celebrity who is being featured in fashion and men's magazines?

To me a supermodel has to have four qualities
1) Recognizability
2) Famous / High Label fashion campaigns
3) Major runway shows
4) Financial/endorsement success.

You put Naiomi, Linda, Cindy, Claudia to those 4 and they excelled in all areas. Heidi has major failings in 2 and 3.

A lot has to do with the media and these days we have model/actresses, actress/models, and celebrities who are celebrities for just their own sake. Magazines as well in this struggling economy and changing media have blended and adapted and have grabbed on to Celebs to sell issues, where in the past, it was not really the case in general. Not that it did not happen, but it was far less frequent or pervasive.

I know Heidi because she was was basically soft-p*rn. Lets face it. Lingerie is generally about sex appeal when it comes to guys, so when you think about SI Swimsuit Issue, Victoria Secret, Stuff Magazine and Maxim, etc... you are talking more about showing SKIN than fashion.

The difference between a FASHION model and a "Commercial Model" can be blurred at times. What made the supermodel was they ran the gamut... They were highly successful, commanded huge fees, were on the runways, as well as were the face of high end fashion houses, and while sex appeal was important, so much of it was about the presentation of the clothes.

The bulk of the wealth of these Supermodels was made from the fees they charged, sometimes upwards of $5k a day which at that time was huge, to their endorsements etc.

Heidi, on the other hand, has most of her money from companies and goods she produces, to her TV show, which, while has a fashion related component to it, is Entertainment/TV and hence why I lump her closer to Pam Anderson than to the supermodels.

The issue is one that has become blurred over the years... there really are no supermodels today and you are more likely to see spreads with reality stars and celebrities than you are to see models.

Is Megan Fox going to be the next supermodel? Or is she a celebrity who is being featured in fashion and men's magazines?

To me a supermodel has to have four qualities
1) Recognizability
2) Famous / High Label fashion campaigns
3) Major runway shows
4) Financial/endorsement success.

You put Naiomi, Linda, Cindy, Claudia to those 4 and they excelled in all areas. Heidi has major failings in 2 and 3.

A lot has to do with the media and these days we have model/actresses, actress/models, and celebrities who are celebrities for just their own sake. Magazines as well in this struggling economy and changing media have blended and adapted and have grabbed on to Celebs to sell issues, where in the past, it was not really the case in general. Not that it did not happen, but it was far less frequent or pervasive.

That is one of my points, why do these models have so little appeal to those who aren't interested in fashion? These are the best looking people in the world, yet here in America they don't have much appeal to those outside of the industry, anyone care to explain this, we are in a country here in U.S. where so many things are based upon looks, but most people (males) in a comparison between Poly or Fox would pick Fox:huh:, if there were more models who had appeal outside of the profession, then these models would not just be top models, but super no? This would fall under recognization because outside of fashion, models, generally have none, most average people think of playboy models as what modeling is lol.

i dont discuss what he said about heidi, cuz it's true (the commercial model part)
but about seal... that was just too mean. he had Lupus, not something people would love to had and not even get your skin looking like that. that was just too mean.:yuk:

but i still love karl:flower:, but what he said, absolutely no.:(

lol what.
I dont get why some people are arguing about Claudia VS Heidi Klum fame/reputation.

Tbh, I never like Claudia.
Shes a boring, mediocre and not so nice model, and I dont think she stand out next to Naomi, Evangelista, Christy or even Heidi...
Idk how was she able to make it.
I wouldnt know Claudia if it wasnt for this community.
Heidi? Shes everywhere, if you ask any of my classmates about models, they will come up with Naomi, Tyra or Heidi.
Im not a fan of her, but I respect her.
Shes more famous and recognized than Karl and Claudia, and Karl has a obvious reason to hate her...his irrelevance outside the fashion industry.
btw, they both should retire already, and when it happens, it will be a great change for fashion imo.

That's what i mean. He must have something against her. He threw the first stone. And it's not like Heidi walked around bad mouthing him. She gets a lot thrown at her from the fashion people.

I remember Iman, who hosts the Canadian Project Runway, was quoted as saying how Heidi isn't as high fashion as Iman. I just don't get why people are so rude or even mean to Heidi. I know she can be annoying and she's seemingly EVERYWHERE, but still...

German Reunification?

OK I know that this "scandal" was years ago and they are just posing and air kissing at an event but I was like :o when I saw these pictures.

CAP D'ANTIBES, FRANCE - MAY 24: Heidi Klum and Karl Lagerfeld at the 2012 amfAR's Cinema Against AIDS during the 65th Annual Cannes Film Festival at Hotel Du Cap on May 24, 2012 in Cap D'Antibes, France

tflan via dontango and JungleCat

well, Karl can be a bit of a joke sometimes... I thought his comments were horrible but I am glad to see he's change his mind... I am not a Heidi fan but she really didn't deserved these comments and I think sometimes she does not get enough credit... and she looks really beautiful on these pictures...

kudos to Heidi for remaining sweet and classy about this. I'm not even a fan, but if i were her i'd be bitter

Wow those pictures kinda made my day :lol: Who would have thought. Well, never say never.

Even if it's just for show (which I hope it isn't), it's nice to see them burying the hatchet. I saw a quick shot of her at Amfar on the news, and the footage they showed had Heidi talking to Karl and I did a double take.

funny thing is that people found the comments funny and charming! this is why bullying is always going to be disguised as charm
also those saying that Heidi only became famous recently obviously dont know what impact SI had in the 90s and early 2000s before it became watered down. Heidi and Tyra were like SI regulars and celebrities because of their appearances in the magazine.
Btw didnt Karl say similar things about Claudia sometime back?

^ Who hasn't he bitched about :rolleyes:

I think people who are charmed by Karl's nastiness tell us a lot about themselves. None of it good :ninja:

The Seal part was nasty... but the Heidi one? Come on! He's right, Heidi is a VS model, not a runway/fashion model! She never was!

Saying that Heidi never was never a runway model is stating the obvious, but then using that as the basis to say that no one in the fashion industry knows her is rubbish. Roberto Cavalli knows her, Michael Kors knows her, Donatella Versace knows her, Georgina Chapman knows her, Giorgio Armani knows her, Valentino Garavani knows her, the editors of German Vogue who dedicated an issue to her know her, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->