Marc Jacobs S/S 11 New York

Ooh I like this. So pretty. All the colours are like from a packet of sweets. I like when Marc does hats.
As well as the 70s vibe I can pick out certain items that are perfect for his Sofia. He still hasn't forgotton her.
The red head models looks like they want to kill you but the rest looks really chic with the wild hair.
You just know all the "it girls" will be wanting to get their hands on those sunglasses.

I still need to process it all but my first thoughts were early '70's YSL and Sonia Rykiel... but not in a Tom Ford way

there's YSL meets Sonia Rykiel! There're very flowy pretty dresses! There're unflattering pieces! And I quite like this.

I just came home and watched the show immediately without seeing any images or anything - straight to marcjacobs.com
At first I was confused - those oriental but also European influences? As soon as I clicked on this thread clarity came - it's Yves Saint Laurent of course!
Incredibly Yves Saint Laurent!
I also see Chanel, but not necessarily under Karl - old Chanel, with the jersey dresses and drop waists. Is that a vintage drop waist, as was popping up last season? Or is it a McQueen hipster, while a lot of designers are showing that seemingly-unusual natural waistline?

The high points for me?
I really liked the opening looks with the angular kimono sleeves (was that a trend started by Karl at Chanel... Couture?) the length of the coat worked well with the length of the skirts, IMO. I loved the YSL gypsy dresses - the fabric was gorgeous.

The multi-coloured dresses and jumpsuits in semi-transparent fabric weren't good, definately harking to a naff cruise collection of some sort, while the oily evening dresses and drapey tops and skirts were scores with maximum appeal.

Well MJ has definately put a seal on the palazzo-pant trend for spring!

So very beautiful, so wonderfully put together, cohesive, such a bold and clear perspective for next summer...
Almost all the looks were perfect, 100% perfect, enhanced by spot on hair, makeup, accessories, hats... The FLOWERS everywhere, oh love to the pont of screaming! :heart::heart::heart:

Blow the bank accounts!

I had a feeling it wouldn't be as good as last season...but it's better than a lot of his recent Spring collections. I don't like the satin pieces, the colours coupled with the pieces used (shorts) just look really cheap. I do like a lot of the red pieces though; the red kimono like dress and the long gown popped out to me. I really need time to process it but I think I could love some of it in a couple of months.

Yeah i see a lot of Sonia Rykiel here but i also like this collection very much, The softness, dresses, lightness, graphics, colors. All works for me very well.

this is what i'm thinking too.. terible collection ever.. sorry marc! :sick:

This was one of the rare collections that i actually like from Marc Jacobs.....i couldn't actually believe it because i'm not normally that big on his designs. I loved the lighting/setting because it gave the models a lovely glow and complemented the clothes with all the orange and wine colours!

I actually loved it all
the 70's are back, I cant feel more comfortable with this decade

Marc Jacobs does retro because he hasn't the faintest idea how to innovate, cut or design something new and unseen, he just styles and, err..."adapts" from other designers' (Prada, YSL, CdG, etc.) older collections. This entire collection reminds me of Miu Miu Resort 2011 but done with tastelessness.

Exactly.

It still surprises me how people believe that Marc Jacobs is a designer of any importance. He puts out some lovely wearable pieces, but his overall vision is narrow and short-sighted. A third-rate and minor designer compared to the greats. The equivalent of a high-end Gap.

the talons really come out for marc jacobs in this forum, don't they? i bet marc jacobs sees the genius in the givenchy couture and tom ford ready-to-wear collections recently. seriously, marc jacobs doesn't have a problem with the fashion press, the buyers, the clients, or really anyone except for the rabble-rousers who choose to pick him apart in the blogosphere but who come to love it after everyone else starts copying it and he throws two or three of their favorite models into his next advertising campaign.

with that rant out, i, for once (maybe twice), agree with cathy horyn from the new york times, it's not the most inspirational marc jacobs show, it's not the most fashion forward, it's not the most pure marc jacobs (for me, that was last season), but it was quintessential marc jacobs none the less. he has obsessed about the seventies (and eighties and sixties and nineties) in the past in his eponymous line and i think this is quite palatable considering just a few seasons ago we were looking at pearl-embossed clown clothes. further, this is the stuff his customers EAT UP. this silhouette. the patterns. everything. they love this stuff. the west village neighborhood associations might just start handing this stuff out on the streets in fact.

and i agree, i saw the yves saint laurent in this, but he's genius for putting that stuff out there because yves saint laurent (the house) really isn't doing much of that these days so someone has to pull up the slack.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is too much like Sonia Rykiel (and all the other influences mentioned such as The Beautiful Fall). Too much. He is a very inconsistent designer, very derivative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Marc wants to helm YSL , his work of late is pointing in that direction . I am excited to see how this all translates in LV . His Spring 2009 collection for LV was just perfection .

Honestly I am not very keen on the collection. The irony is, there are some pieces that I truly love, and everything else I hate to death. Weird enough.
I do love hair and makeup though. Hairpieces are lovely as well.

I am really confused about this collection,i do love some pieces individually,but i really dislike the way everything was styled in the show,plus that big frizzy hair and harsh makeup,it was just too much for my taste...

Sometimes, I wonder if MJ wants to replace Pilati. He's doing a more relaxed (less cerebral) YSL ... But I still love Pilati @ YSL.

I feel the same here BR & it is very strong this season,
season after season I feel that MJ is competing with Pilati over YSL, just showing him how to do YSL with more ease & energy... as if there is a hidden war or somthing ???
but i still like YSL for SP too :wink:, it has more research & study .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->