Matthieu Blazy - Designer, Creative Director of Bottega Veneta

I think McQueen had a different mindset because his work was his Art but also his life. There was something very personal on the way he approached his work but he also had 50% ownership of his brand. The level of responsibility wasn’t the same…
The same for someone like Nicolas. There was a different type of pressure for him compared to now…

Anyway, designers works long hours. The workers and people in the studio have a very scheduled work environment but the designer and his assistants have a more « loose » approach.

I’ve always believed that fashion designer is one of those position where it’s difficult to separate personal from professional life…There’s something very obsessive about it, even more because everything that interest you can have an impact on your work.

That has a name: work addiction (workaholism). And it is a real mental health condition. There is an inability to stop the behavior by the person who is suffering it.
It often emerges from a compulsive need to achieve status and success, or to escape emotional stress (McQueen was sexually abused as a child by her sister´s husband).

I can understand someone who has a passion for creation, which makes him/her work as much as possible just for the joy of it. But there is a thin line between "passion" and "addiction"...

Of course! He is obviously an adult man, no one is forcing him to work so many hours per day; so he can do as he pleases.

But the problem is when an industry tries to picture this as an "exemplary behavior", so they can squeeze workers as much as they want to.

That's not slavery. That's the opposite of slavery.

If you're concerned about workers in the fashion industry being squeezed, I'd worry more for the workers who toil in sweatshops for companies like Shein and Walmart. Many are actual, literal slaves.

Blazy probably makes over 7 figures a year + perks + stock options. That means he's working 12 hours a day... for himself. Do not waste your pity on him.

Last edited:
That's not slavery. That's the opposite of slavery.

If you're concerned about workers in the fashion industry being squeezed, I'd worry more for the workers who toil in sweatshops for companies like Shein and Walmart. Many are actual, literal slaves.

Blazy probably makes over 7 figures a year + perks + stock options. That means he's working 12 hours a day... for himself. Do not waste your pity on him.

Yes, of course the workers being exploited at sweatshops are in a radical different position than Blazy, a totally precarious one.

Even though Blazy is not being forced to work for so many hours (with little or no wage at all), there is still that "work till you drop" mentality that makes that connection with slavery. It is like a self-imposed slavery, that I also find the fashion industry (among other industries) like to promote to get as much from their workers as possible.

I don´t feel pity for Blazy, but I do feel pity for the people who think that if they work 12 hours per day, they will make it in fashion...just because they don´t realize the industry is manipulating them.

Bottega and Matthieu did a collab with the Strand bookstore in New York...

MATTHIEU BLAZY

All the Books on Matthieu Blazy’s Strand List

BY NICOLE PHELPS / September 8, 2022

Screenshot 2022-09-10 at 5.30.00 pm.png

Matthieu Blazy remembers his first time at the Strand. “From going there on my initial visit to New York as a teenager, it’s always [been] a space of physical exploration with the pleasure of the unexpected and finding something new,” he says. Blazy is talking up the store, famous for its “18 miles of books,” because Bottega Veneta, the Italian fashion brand where he was named creative director late last year, has created a trio of leather tote bags printed with the Strand’s iconic logo and the designer himself has curated a list of books with which to fill them. Tonight, he’ll be at the Strand for a celebratory dinner in the stacks.

Milan is home now for Blazy. His favorite bookstore there is the Libreria Bocca; “the owner is fantastic and he always loves to share his newest treasures,” he says. But in the mid-2010s, when he was the design director at Calvin Klein under Raf Simons, he really got to know the Strand. “It’s not a snotty place, it’s equally intellectual and pop,” Blazy riffs. “I’ve bought rare editions and signed books there and also went through the baking section for books by Martha Stewart and Mary Berry. Then there’s the ’70s gay pulp fiction with all the cheesy covers that I started to collect… I once got so comfortable I fell asleep in the rare books section—they let me sleep for a while!”

Bottega Veneta Strand_03.jpeg

There are several rare books on his Strand list. “The selection was quite spontaneous,” he explains. “It’s a mix of inspiration and books I always go back to. It was nice to be able to share those books I love and that are part of my creative process. Some have a personal significance while others have a more general interest, and a couple are current obsessions like Beauties of the Common Tool and The Fiber Art of Judith Scott. Of course, some of these books I first discovered and bought at the Strand.”

Blazy’s most treasured book of all was purchased at 828 Broadway many years ago. “My favorite book in the whole world, Avedon’s In the American West, was a Christmas present from my father,” he says. “It’s a rare edition and it still has the Strand sticker on it.” In Vogue’s September issue, he extrapolated: “The pictures were incredible—the people looked like characters, but they were also sort of ‘fashion.’ You couldn’t put any stamp on it—they looked like themselves.” As for what’s on his reading list now? “Recently I found this book about Emile Bernard’s early paintings and I was blown away. I also got this book about Cicciolina [the Italian p*rn star]. I love her unexpected path, her freedom, a true feminist in her own way!”

The designer’s book list will be split between the Strand and Bottega Veneta’s Soho store. The bags are available exclusively at the Soho boutique at 101 Greene Street from today, and via bottegaveneta.com on September 15.

Bottega Veneta Strand_02.jpeg

Matthieu Blazy’s book list

Mica/12, Willy Vanderperre

Buildings and Projects: 1923-1950, Richard Neutra

Andra Ursuta: 2000 Words, Karen Marta and Massimiliano Gioni

Anne Collier, Anne Collier

Les Onze Mille Verges, Guillaume Apollinaire

Breakfast at the Wolseley, A.A. Gill

Carl Andre Sculptor 1996, Carl Andre

Carlo Scarpa: the Complete Works, Carlo Scarpa

Catherine Opie, Catherine Opie

Dressing for Pleasure in Rubber, Vinyl and Leather: The Best of AtomAge 1972-1980, Jonny Trunk

Entryways of Milan, Fabrizio Ballabio, Daniel Sherer

Hollywood Arensberg: Avant-Garde Collecting in Midcentury L.A., Mark Nelson, William H. Sherman

Hujar: Intimate Survey, Peter Hujar

Image Machine: Andy Warhol and Photography, Raphaela Platow, Synne Genzmer

In the American West, Richard Avedon

Je Dors, je Travaille, Valentine Schlegel

La Borne: 1940-1980: A Postwar Movement of Ceramic Expression in France, Maud Leonhardt Santini

Le Défilé, Jean Paul Gaultier, Regine Chopinot

Les Hommes de la Danse, Michel Huet

Lisa Yuskavage: Babie Brood, Small Paintings, 1985–2018, Lisa Yuskavage

Lynette Yiadom-Boakye

Mach Dich Hübsch!, Isa Genzken

Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore, Mark Leckey

Neue Welt, Wolfgang Tillmans

Out in the World with Gaetano Pesce, Gaetano Pesce

Pierre Chapo: A Modern Craftsman, Pierre Chapo

Polaroids, Francois Halard

Robot, Pierre Boogaerts

Sterling Ruby/Robert Mapplethorpe, Ed Schad

The Land in Between, Ursula Schulz-Dornburg

The Olmecs: America’s First Civilization, Richard A. Diehl

The Well, Nigel Shafran

The Workshop, Carl Aubock

The Young and Evil: Queer Modernism in New York, 1930–1955, Jarrett Earnest, Ann Reynolds

Tsutsumu: The Origins of Japanese Packaging, Hideyuki Oka

Uncommon Places, Stephen Shore

Alvaro Barrington: Artist Book “Crosses” - Standard Edition, Alvaro Barrington

Cooking with Scorsese: The Cookbook, HaTo Press

Eye Love You, Ed van der Elsken

La saga Hélène et les garcons

Uncovered, Pierre Debusschere
VOGUE

Okay werk, but pointless collab. We get it Blazy, you read books but perhaps you should think about turning looks.

Also... Nicole, stop writing. It's either so lifeless and information-less, or so lifeless because you sucked the soul out of the topic you're writing on. Go home, have a wine and re-evaluate your skills because fashion commentary isn't it.

I'm not sure a look essentially consisting of a plaid shirt and a pair of stonewash jeans deserve you a place of highest esteem in the fashion industry, regardless whether or not the shirt be made of cashmere and the jeans of elaborately treated leather to create such an illusion. As a look, this can be seen as glorified normcore dressing, and while I can totally appreciate that coming from mid-market contemporary brands like ARKET, COS or even Uniqlo U, I think the stakes in high fashion should be significantly higher to receive deserved praise.

I'm not sure a look essentially consisting of a plaid shirt and a pair of stonewash jeans deserve you a place of highest esteem in the fashion industry, regardless whether or not the shirt be made of cashmere and the jeans of elaborately treated leather to create such an illusion. As a look, this can be seen as glorified normcore dressing, and while I can totally appreciate that coming from mid-market contemporary brands like ARKET, COS or even Uniqlo U, I think the stakes in high fashion should be significantly higher to receive deserved praise.

Exactly.

It's especially boring coming off the back of Demna's Balenciaga Couture from 2021, which elevated denim and the concept of "the t-shirt" to the level of Haute Couture.

The shirts are leather, too.

And you write that as if it was more than the first two looks. What about the OTHER 71?

The shirts are leather, too.

And you write that as if it was more than the first two looks. What about the OTHER 71?

Most of the daywear separates seem to be playing with this illusion of leather mimicking another kind of fabric, so I take it those polos, chino pants and t-shirts in the first part of the show are all leather as well - I suppose the person who can afford these clothes is driven around town in an air-conditioned car, but as a proposition for summer, I don't think this will feel very nice if we meet temperatures as this year. So I'm not exactly sure if his idea of luxury has any other answer other than a snobbish 'just because I can' in that regard.

I'm not very much taken by the wide lapels and cuffed or otherwise angled hems on his tailoring either and again, proposing such a look head-to-toe in leather or even worse, in those graphic prints towards the middle of the show, is not exactly a sign of an assured, tasteful hand (especially when paired with one of those super large braided bags in mint, of all colors). All in all, this entire middle section of printed (?) garments with fringed hemlines give me a headache: If Haider Ackermann is widely considered one of the best colorists in fashion, then Matthieu Blazy should find his place at the opposite side, when combining sky blue, red, ecru and black in a head-to-toe turtleneck and wide leg pants outfit.

Those three fringed numbers towards the end are probably the best part of the show but we already know those ones are more for the red carpet in which case I would much rather see a celebrity like Julianne Moore (who has worn Matthieu Blazy's creations before) in one of the finale looks from Burberry.

The Magician of Milan
Wait … what is that? Is it denim? Is it flannel? No, it’s leather. How Matthieu Blazy changed Bottega Veneta and our material expectations.
BY VANESSA FRIEDMAN / SEPT. 20 2023

20BLAZY-01-pbvq-superJumbo.jpeg
Matthieu Blazy, the creative director of Bottega Veneta, in his office in Milan. The rug was custom-made to resemble stracciatella, his favorite ice cream. Credit...Carmine Romano for The New York Times

For years, Matthieu Blazy was a fashion ghost: a specter whispered about but rarely seen. “The most famous designer you’ve never heard of,” New York magazine crowed in 2014.

At only 30, he was said to be the man behind the renaissance of Margiela couture, after the brand’s founding designer left the house. A few years later, he was rumored to be the secret sauce in Phoebe Philo’s Céline collections. Then he was spotted at Calvin Klein, helping reinvent it under Raf Simons. His name kept coming up in reference to top designer jobs, but he never took a bow at the end of the runway. He was rarely photographed. He didn’t hang out with celebrities.

“You can’t keep such a talent under wraps,” Suzy Menkes wrote in British Vogue. Except he did.

Until now.

In late 2021 Mr. Blazy, now 39, became the creative director of Bottega Veneta, after its previous designer, Daniel Lee, who had reinvented the brand in only three years, departed under a cloud of rumors about misbehavior and high employee turnover. Mr. Blazy, who had been Mr. Lee’s No. 2, inherited not just his headline gig, but a house shrouded in innuendo and in need of yet another sprinkling of fairy dust. What did he do?

He changed leather into denim, flannel, ribbed cotton and knit and fooled everyone. He pulled the rug out from under assumptions in the most gracious way and made the everyday into precious objects that only the wearer really understood. He created a world — one where nothing is quite as it seems — and populated it with an entire assortment of passers-by. He played sleight of hand with the hierarchy of taste.

And he did it so effectively that this month Bergdorf Goodman in New York, which always devotes its fashion week windows to what Linda Fargo, the senior vice president for fashion and store presentation, described as “the best fashion of the season,” filled three of its windows with Bottega — and only Bottega. Two years into the job, Mr. Blazy hasn’t just redefined a brand, he has defined a direction.

Lately there has been a growing rift in the fashion world between designers who make content and designers who make clothes. The content crew considers fashion as a subset of entertainment; the clothes crew sees fashion as a service.

The appointment of Pharrell Williams as creative director of Louis Vuitton men’s wear was in many ways the apotheosis of the content phenomenon, in which what matters is the spectacle and how it resonates through the world. The garments serve as souvenirs that allow you to buy into the experience and advertise your belonging.

Mr. Blazy has become the epitome of an alternative approach: a designer who puts himself second to the products, the people who make them and the people who buy them. “He doesn’t see himself in the driver’s seat of the company,” said François-Henri Pinault, the chief executive of Kering, the group that owns Bottega Veneta. “He sees himself in the middle of the car.”

Which is not to say he doesn’t know exactly where everyone is going.

House Building
“I said I wanted to go against the stream of the monovision,” Mr. Blazy said, talking about his initial pitch to Mr. Pinault. He was in his office in the Bottega Veneta headquarters in Milan, wearing a white Patagonia T-shirt and faded jeans.

He told Mr. Pinault he thought Bottega should focus on craft, rather than design; that it should be “a house, not a brand.” That may sound like semantics but is the difference between a garment that advertises its point of origin and a garment that slips seamlessly into a wardrobe. And it was very different from the approach of Mr. Lee, who had made Bottega so associated with a single color — a bright, herbalicious green — that you could identify a piece from blocks away. It also explains a lot about how Mr. Blazy approaches not his job, but the world.

When he moved into his office, which was a white box, he had the walls repaneled in wood tinted a rich brown so they looked like a “chalet in Chamonix,” and the room felt more domestic. Now it is anchored at one end by a seating area with an Isa GenzkenNefertiti head on a pedestal and, at the other, by a long table for meetings. The table has a bowl of Ricola lemon mint lozenges, but no computer.

“I did not open a computer for the last six months,” Mr. Blazy said. “I have two, but I don’t use them so much. I sketch a lot and talk a lot and look at books, and I have a phone.” On the floor, below enormous windows, were 16 different piles of paper, each one corresponding to a different collection or project: perfume, new store concepts, the fanzines he creates with people he admires (most recently the British designer Hussein Chalayan, which involved Mr. Chalayan playing with pen and ink, watercolor and glitter to draw pieces from Mr. Blazy’s last show).

On the walls were a series of artworks. Mr. Blazy collects first drafts. It started, he said, because that’s all he could afford, and he liked the idea that they were “the first expression of something.” Then, he said, he couldn’t stop.

“It’s not that I need to have more more more,” he said. “But two or three times a year I try to find something that makes me happy to live with. I would rather have my money on the wall than in the bank.”

20BLAZY-flhv-superJumbo.jpeg
Mr. Blazy sits in a chair by Gaetano Pesce from his spring 2023 show. There was a unique chair for each of the show’s guests, reflecting Mr. Blazy’s belief in the allure of the individual. Credit...Carmine Romano for The New York Times

When he likes something — Marlboro Lights (he smokes a pack a day); stracciatella (the ice cream with tiny shavings of chocolate that he loves so much he had a special rug designed in its image for his last show; it is now in his office); the Gaetano Pesce chairs he commissioned for the show before that — he whispers, “It’s wonderful,” and his eyes light up like a 10-year-old seeing snow for the very first time.

“He can get inspired by anything,” said Pierre Debusschere, the image and music director for Bottega, who is a close friend. It is not a coincidence that one of Mr. Blazy’s favorite sites in Milan is the Church of Santa Maria presso San Satiro, which features a “false apse” that from the front appears to recede into the distance but up close turns out to be a flat wall painted in trompe l’oeil.

The way Raf Simons, the co-creative director of Prada, who has been Mr. Blazy’s boss twice, and is one of his closest friends, puts it is: “Matt is very free in his head. He has no fear of showing anything he believes in creatively. He always had so many ideas: Add latex kitchen gloves! What about a marching band jacket? Some made completely no sense, and some were so genius I would say, ‘Of course, we are going to do that.’”

Of Course, We Are Going to Do That
“In the past I’ve been proposed a few beautiful houses,” Mr. Blazy said, talking about job offers that came his way before Bottega Veneta. He wouldn’t name names, saying only that “one was very beautiful, about craft, one was very commercial but still about fashion, and one was a smaller house that I thought could be reactivated without being passé. But I never felt it was the right time. I saw a lot of designers taking stuff quickly, and for me it was important to build myself first. I wanted to know my job. Know myself.”

Mr. Blazy grew up in Paris. His father is an expert in pre-Columbian art, and his mother a historian and researcher; he has an older brother who is an airplane pilot and a twin sister who works in Singapore. He was a rambunctious kid — so much so that when he was 13, his parents sent him to a Marist school in the French countryside, and when that didn’t take, to Pangbourne College, a military boarding school in England for a year. (He said he liked it.)

He thought about going into archaeology but ended up at La Cambre, the fashion school in Brussels, because his mother thought it would be good for him to have a skill; Julien Dossena, the creative director of Rabanne, was in his class; Anthony Vaccarello, the creative director of Saint Laurent, was a year above. His graduate collection was about Claudie Haigneré, the first Frenchwoman in space, who became the minister of science, and involved “big fur coats covered in silver fabric,” Mr. Blazy said. “I had a lot of fun.”

20BLAZY-02-pbvq-superJumbo.jpeg
Mr. Blazy believes that “two voices are better than one.” Four are even better.Credit...Carmine Romano for The New York Times

Mr. Simons liked the collection so much he offered Mr. Blazy a job at his namesake label as a men’s designer. Another designer named Pieter Mulier was already working there, and he and Mr. Blazy soon became a couple.

“We did everything together,” Mr. Simons said. “Go to fabric fairs in Paris, go to the movies, go on vacation.”

Four years later, however, and still in his 20s, Mr. Blazy jumped to the Margiela Artisanal collection, that brand’s equivalent of couture. That’s where he began to experiment with the idea of transformation; using one kind of material (plastic hair combs) to represent another (fringe).

“I could really use my passion digging, being curious,” he said. But, he said, he was worried he would be pigeonholed as a conceptualist, so he ended up hopscotching to Céline, when Phoebe Philo was creative director, to work on the more commercial precollections and, from there, to Calvin Klein, where he teamed up with Mr. Simons and Mr. Mulier once again.

It was, Mr. Blazy said, like a “high school reunion. It was very romantic. We’re going to meet new people, we’re going to live in New York.”

He and Mr. Mulier rented a weekend place in Connecticut and got a rescue puppy called John John.

But then the Trump election happened, and the Calvin collections became less about the American dream than the American nightmare, somewhat to the dismay of PVH, the conglomerate that owned Calvin Klein. Mr. Simons and his inner circle were fired abruptly after two years.

“It was hell,” Mr. Blazy said. “Like when you have your boxes on the street. It’s something you see in movies, and then you are the main character.”He thought about leaving fashion. Instead he ended up going to Los Angeles to help the artist Sterling Ruby with a collection he showed during the Pitti Uomo trade fair, in Florence.

That’s when Daniel Lee, who had been the design director at Céline when Mr. Blazy was there and had just been tasked with updating Bottega Veneta, came calling. And though Mr. Blazy had reportedly gotten fed up with Mr. Lee’s erratic leadership and resigned following a show in Detroit (he declined to discuss the situation), when Leo Rongone, the chief executive, was looking for Mr. Lee’s replacement, “It was clear we had the right person already here.”

The Anti-Pharrell
Mr. Blazy approached Bottega Veneta with two goals: First, to challenge himself to make something that is wearable. “Because we are expensive, it should be an investment,” he said. And second, to interact with the world we live in. “Timeless is a word I just cannot hear anymore,” he said. “It’s more about a responsibility we have as designer to offer something that lasts.” But also is not boring.

The first thing he did was reduce the size of the design teams so that everyone could sit around the same table. Then he involved the craftspeople (the leather workers and fabric developers) in every conversation.

“He knows everyone’s name,” Mr. Rongone said. “He listens to everyone.” He brought a “new mood” to the studio, Mr. Pinault said. That’s how those leather jeans — “the first thing I asked for on the first day in the first meeting,” he said — came about.

The first response was “not possible,” Mr. Blazy said. Then the teams started going through test after test — about 30 to 40 of them, he said — until one day his staff brought him a sample, “and I thought it was cotton,” he said. “I’ll always remember that day.” Those “denim” jeans, which cost $6,900, sold out in two weeks, Mr. Blazy said.

Mr. Blazy believes in products that serve a function, like the Andiamo bag, a practical intrecciato style that Mr. Rongone said has become Bottega’s best-selling item, and products that are unique, like a “sardine bag” from the last collection that comes with a Murano glass handle shaped like a Brancusi fish. No two handles are exactly alike (though there is a more accessible brass version). Twenty-five such bags were produced, costing $11,000 each, of which Bergdorf got three — “and they sold immediately,” Ms. Fargo said. At this stage, said Mr. Pinault, Bottega is close to becoming the third largest brand in the group, just after Gucci and Saint Laurent, and vying with Balenciaga.

“Even their most commercial pieces are special,” Ms. Fargo said. “We’re all in on it.”

Mr. Blazy recently got his own apartment in Milan, after surfing a series of Airbnbs. (Mr. Mulier, now the creative director of Alaïa, and Mr. Blazy split up earlier this year; they are friends and share custody of the dog, though the breakup is still too hard for him to talk about.) The apartment, at the top of a 1960s Modernist building, looks a bit like a houseboat inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright: dark wood, slanted ceilings, with a step up on one side to a tiny balcony that is covered in greenery.

“I walked in and thought, ‘This looks familiar,’” Mr. Blazy said. It turned out he was renting the same apartment Mr. Simons had rented for a time during a stint as creative director of Jil Sander from 2005 to 2012.

He shares the flat during the week with Mr. Debusschere. They have music planning meetings in the kitchen late at night over drinks, and more corporate meetings in the morning, looking over the roofs of Milan and drinking coffee. Mr. Blazy often brings art from his house to his office, and vice versa. He shot the most recent Bottega ad campaign in the courtyard of the apartment, featuring Mariacarla Boscono and his very stoic looking doorman.

Lately he has been thinking a lot about nature. “I’m interested in fish,” he said to his team. “Can we look at birds? I saw this woman in the street. She was walking with double shorts. I think it’s interesting. Can we try? Maybe it’s too perfect. Can we try to make it less perfect?” And so on.

When they are in the studio, he said, he asks his team, “Would you wear this?” Sometimes they say no. Then, he asks them, “Why did you design it?”

Last season he began styling his shows himself, which he will do again this season. “I would rather make my own mistakes,” he said.

He is glad he took his time in stepping forward. “Because now, even if I doubt, I know a question mark can become not just ‘I don’t know,’” he said. “It can become an adventure.”
NYTIMES

That’s one good profile…
I like him and his vision for the brand.
It’s a pity that him and Pieter split up but at the same time, it keeps him far from the bad influence that is his aesthetic for his work.

‘That Detroit show and it legend is really one for the books!

Mr. Blazy recently got his own apartment in Milan, after surfing a series of Airbnbs. (Mr. Mulier, now the creative director of Alaïa, and Mr. Blazy split up earlier this year; they are friends and share custody of the dog, though the breakup is still too hard for him to talk about.)
So that's why Mulier did that whole Riverside Tower thing for Alaïa.

The Daniel Lee bit was a low blow, but I'm not surprised.

What I heard -from quite reliable sources- is that he is no stranger to this kind of behaviour himself... But Blazy being a fashion industry darling does wonders at covering that up and the lack of proposals going beyond gimmicks (those leather versions of every single wardrobe pieces... please... groundbreaking fashion...) in his Bottega Veneta collections.

The mention of him living with his friend the image director was intriguing, hopefully they can spend some time talking about campaigns because they have been quite weak in comparison to Lee's.

His Bottega is like him: bourgeois, with a nice facade. Hopefully he'll bring some depth to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->