Bottega Veneta - The All-Things Bottega Veneta Thread

Frederic01

Reaction score
Bottega Veneta’s CEO Maps Out Strategies as Brand Returns to MFW
By Luisa Zargani / Wed, February 23, 2022, 4:01 PM

MILAN — Bottega Veneta is “a magical brand,” believes chief executive officer Bartolomeo Rongone, who goes by the name of Leo.

However, there are no supernatural powers behind the growth of the brand, which in 2021 logged a 24.2 percent increase in revenues compared with 2020, surpassing the 1.5 billion euro mark. Compared with 2019, revenues rose 32 percent.

Rongone attributed the success to the “exquisite design with extraordinary craft” of the products and the company’s ability to maintain a strong, intimate relationship with clients and customers alike throughout “the challenging period and despite the impact of the pandemic,” creating different physical “moments of contact.”

“I am very proud of this milestone, reached through a solid strategy and a long-term perspective,” he said of the 2021 benchmark.

In the last quarter of 2021, sales increased 15.2 percent to 433 million euros. Compared with the same period in 2019, they climbed 31 percent.

In 2021, operating profit amounted to 286.5 million euros, up 66.6 percent on 2020 and representing 19.1 percent of sales.

For fall, the brand is returning to Milan Fashion Week — a highly anticipated show also because it will unveil the first designs by Matthieu Blazy, who was named creative director in November, succeeding Daniel Lee.

Rongone revealed that the show on Saturday will be held in Milan’s Palazzo San Fedele, which is expected to house the company’s new headquarters before the end of 2023. Originally the site of the Manzoni theater, the building, which stands near the Duomo cathedral and the La Scala theater, was built circa 1870 and is currently being restored.

“Matthieu really wanted this location precisely because of the theater, its energy and heritage,” Rongone said.

Bottega Veneta has been absent from Milan for a few seasons, as Lee previously held shows in London, Berlin and Detroit. “Matthieu and I are proud to be back and we are convinced we should be here. This is a global brand, not only connected to Italy, but the Camera della Moda as well as the Chambre Syndicale and the other councils are putting together an audience, exposing multiple brands and making sure a connection is preserved, giving visibility to young designers and we want to be supportive of creativity,” Rongone explained.

3330b9fbc26f3475d1e3a6a49d1e9240.jpeg
Palazzo San Fedele, which will house the new Bottega Veneta headquarters

Asked about the changes in the top creative spot after Lee’s surprise exit after three years — deemed by several sources as a layoff — Rongone enthused about the pieces of the fall collection he had already seen. “I’m excited, Matthieu has such a wealth of experience, having worked at Celine [with Phoebe Philo], with Raf [Simons at Calvin Klein], and at [Maison] Margiela. He is a very curious person, has a broad cultural background and is a real creative talent.”

Blazy joined the company in 2020 as the brand’s ready-to-wear design director and Rongone believes he is “ready for the challenge, he is in the perfect position. He knows the brand, the codes of the house and the heritage.”

That said, the executive underscored that Bottega Veneta should “not be linked to a single person, the brand stems from the passion of a collective group of people. It is a very inclusive brand with exclusive product.”

The executive has further driven the exclusivity of the brand by eliminating all markdowns. “We aim to be one of the few companies that provide lifetime warranty for products that customers will treasure and appreciate for a long time,” he said.

Rongone has been streamlining the brand’s wholesale accounts — increasing the number of concessions and also taking over online partners.

Last year, retail accounted for 75 percent of total sales, up 29 percent compared with the previous year. The wholesale channel grew 16 percent.

Rongone did not disclose a percentage for e-commerce, as per company policy, although he noted that it has grown.

Bottega Veneta has 263 directly operated stores and the CEO said the company is not focused on increasing that number significantly but rather is investing in expanding the existing venues to better display the growing apparel category for both men and women — “the fastest-growing category in these years,” he said.

The stores will be refreshed with a new concept but differentiated depending on the location, but always with a link with Bottega Veneta’s territory, hence the use of Palladiana floors, terracotta and glass.

Asia Pacific represents the biggest market for the company, accounting for 39 percent of total sales last year. Rongone touted China’s “huge potential.” A new boutique will open in Shenzhen in May, followed by a unit in Shanghai at Pudong Airport in July. The Shanghai IFC store will be refurbished in September.

South Korea was also a key contributor to growth.

Western Europe represented 24 percent of sales. London’s Sloane Square unit and the Paris boutique in Avenue Montaigne will be renovated and expanded in 2022.

North America accounted for 18 percent of the total. “Since I joined, the U.S. has become one of the fastest-growing markets, gaining speed as in 2018 it represented 11 percent of the total,” said Rongone, adding that a store in Dallas will open in December and the existing San Francisco store will be refurbished in June. Bottega Veneta opened a store in Manhattan’s SoHo in December last year.

Japan, a historically significant market for the brand, represented 10 percent of the total, and the rest of the world 9 percent.

Rongone, who joined the Kering-owned company in September 2019, was previously CEO of Saint Laurent in charge of rtw, leather goods and shoes, as well as global retail operations and client engagement. He arrived at Bottega Veneta at a time of rapid change for the brand, which the year before had hired Lee to succeed Tomas Maier after 17 years as its creative director.

Rongone began his career as a market analyst in the luxury sector and joined Fendi in 2001, becoming head of business intelligence before taking on senior roles in the supply chain, merchandise planning and client relationship management.

He has been building his team, tapping, for example, Alejandra Rositto last October as CEO of the Americas. Asked about what he looks for in a candidate, he said that “apart from competence, passion is a key component, as well as trust and empathy.”

The executive is passionate about Bottega Veneta’s “fascinating story” and believes that it’s been “largely untold.”

Archival photos — including one of Lauren Hutton, who famously carried a Bottega Veneta clutch in the 1980 film “American Gigolo” — hang on the walls of his luminous office, juxtaposed with new pieces and colorful, modern furniture.

During the interview, Rongone underscored how since the early days, when Michele Taddei and Renzo Zengiaro founded the company in 1966, Bottega Veneta has “always celebrated the uniqueness of each individual.” This is something that the executive believes remains relevant to the brand — obviously reflected in its catchphrase “When your own initials are enough,” which has been defining Bottega Veneta’s customer since its origins. When the individual is at the center, no logo is necessary, underscored Rongone.

Shortly after Zengiaro left Bottega Veneta at the end of the ‘70s, Taddei handed over the company to his ex-wife Laura Braggion, who headed the company with her second husband Vittorio Moltedo and traveled regularly to New York. Rongone recalled that Braggion became an assistant of Andy Warhol, whose studios made the short film “Bottega Veneta Industrial Videotape” in 1985, and she contributed to the expansion and the success of the brand in the U.S., opening the first store there in New York in 1972.

In addition to its distinctive leather weaving design, the Intrecciato, the “Bottega green” that has become a signature color for the brand has also been a long-standing reference, noted Rongone. “The Veneto and Venice territory inspires us, the Palladiana and terracotta flooring, the colors of Burano and the glasses of Murano, connect the Genius Loci and become incredible vehicles of energy.” The facade of the brand’s Vienna store was green back in 1993 and in the Warhol film, there are dust bags that, at the time, were in the same green color.

Rongone enthused about Bottega Veneta’s archives at the company’s headquarters in Montebello, near Vicenza. A school to train new artisans remains active there.

“True luxury requires time, we think in terms of days, not hours when we make each bag at this complex level of craft,” he said, in a constant balance between craft and creativity, pointing to the brand’s storied coat of arms, which says “labor and ingenium” or craft and creativity in Latin.

Asked about a potential price increase, he admitted the rising costs of energy “could lead to an increase, but we will see” throughout the year. He underscored the company uses “extremely expensive and prestigious materials,” so that an increase could be less tied to external factors and more to a further increase in quality.

In terms of product extension, Rongone said 2023 will be “very important” for the launch of new fragrances and he predicted that a home and furniture line “will be back pretty soon. We take pride in all our collections and make sure that each is perfect and beautifully designed. We are confident we can deliver the level of quality and emotion [the brand promises].”

He said he was “very satisfied” with the results of the eyewear collections produced by Kering Eyewear, but noted that “we don’t think by category,” rather of products that “can complement or express” the brand.

While Bottega Veneta under Lee dropped off Instagram last year, Rongone said the decision allowed the company “to use social media in a different way, giving the audience the opportunity to talk about us, removing the limit of our presence, but we are not absent, there is a connection through people talking about us.” He contended that this allows “concrete expressions of creativity in different ways.”

By the first half of the year, the company will release a new website with a new design, he revealed.

In other projects, the company will sponsor the Biennale Danza, the international festival of contemporary dance, for the second consecutive year. It will run in Venice July 22 to 31 and will be directed by Wayne McGregor.

In parallel, Bottega Veneta is also partnering with the Palazzo Grassi Punta della Dogana Pinault Collection to support “Dancing Studies,“ a set of performances by choreographers William Forsythe, Lenio Kaklea, Ralph Lemon and Pam Tanowitz, inspired by the exhibition “Bruce Nauman: Contrapposto Studies.” The exhibition is open to the public until Nov. 27. “Dancing Studies” will be celebrated with a dinner hosted by Bottega Veneta and Palazzo Grassi during the opening week of the Biennale di Arte on April 21.

Also, Bottega Veneta has chosen to partner with the Festival de Hyères for the first time this year. That will run Oct. 14 to 16. With the Bottega Veneta grant, the house aims to support creativity in all its forms and will award the winner of the Photography Grand Prix the opportunity to collaborate on one of the brand’s campaigns.
WWD

I saw on Instagram that Bottega released an app for mobile devices. In general, I don't think their strategy will change, it will be the same as it was with Lee, and this terrible green! They will just make money from fashion victims. That's all. The only thing that really interests me is why, in fact, Lee was fired so quickly. And where is he now?

Bottega Veneta launches AR app to tease Blazy’s first show
Bottega Veneta creative director Matthieu Blazy’s first collection will debut Saturday during Milan Fashion Week. The brand launched an app to coincide.

BY LUCY MAGUIRE AND MAGHAN MCDOWELL / 23 FEBRUARY 2022

Bottega Veneta is teeing up Matthieu Blazy’s highly anticipated debut show on Saturday with the launch of the brand’s first-ever app.

The app will use augmented reality to tease Blazy’s new collection and is being positioned by the brand as “the doorway to creativity”, according to a statement, signalled by Bottega’s signature green, which is prevalent throughout the platform. When downloaded, users can hold their smartphone against any green surface and it will play various content aligned with Blazy’s new creative direction. For now, it conjures a few cryptic images: a slate grey Bottega logo, shards of silver metal, a naked torso, a man wearing beige trousers and a white turtleneck, an industrial scene featuring what looks like a cube of precious metal and a lime.

The app is the latest launch in a string of non-traditional marketing plays at Bottega Veneta. Blazy, former ready-to-wear design director at Bottega Veneta, took the reins of the Milanese luxury label after creative director Daniel Lee exited the brand in November 2021. Lee famously deleted Bottega’s social media accounts, favouring unconventional marketing like salon-style shows and its digital magazine, Issue. Under Blazy, Bottega Veneta took over the Great Wall of China, emblazoning the historic site with the brand logo. More recently, the brand announced it will fund the relaunch of Butt magazine as sole advertiser on 16 February.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 7.00.58 am.png

The app arrives during a uniquely positioned Milan Fashion Week that has seen most brands return to physical shows, with digital elements woven in. That’s been the case at New York and London Fashion Weeks, with brands promoting NFTs during shows and launching metaverse collections in step with physical goods. According to a spokesperson, Saturday’s show will also be livestreamed on the platform.

“Green screen” technology, more associated with the film industry than fashion, has increasingly been used in fashion’s metaverse projects that blend digital and physical elements. The technology is able to replace green elements with other content. For example, at New York Fashion Week this season, emerging designer Maisie Wilen created “holograms” of models using green screen technology from Yahoo. In addition to viewing larger-than-life projections, attendees and virtual guests could also view the models in their own environment through augmented reality. The London College of Fashion livestreamed its MA19 Womenswear Show in AR by filming models walking in front of a green screen, then broadcasting them live to each remote viewer’s smartphone screen.

The ability to use green screen technology in an app is relatively under-tapped in fashion, but this isn’t a total first. In 2019, a startup called Virtual Super Land began licensing the technology to fashion and retail partners. A collaboration with Los Angeles retailer Fred Segal invited in-store shoppers to scan a QR then view branded elements throughout the store through their phone; this was achieved by painting the floor, and other store surfaces, green. Although the Bottega implementation is still under wraps, it’s safe to assume that its Saturday show is likely to make use of the vibrant hue.
VOGUE

There's an article on BOF about Matthieu Blazy and the forthcoming collection if anyone has access to it!

Bottega Veneta: Everything Old Is New Again

Bottega Veneta: Everything Old Is New Again
In the driver’s seat after the abrupt exit of his predecessor, young Belgian Matthieu Blazy aims to reconnect the brand with its Italian pedigree, elevating emotion and handcraft over ‘obsession with technology and newness.’

UWY7EI7RUZC7DINTDDKQGQ4OJM.jpeg
Belgian Matthieu Blazy aims to reconnect Bottega Veneta with its Italian pedigree, elevating emotion and handcraft over ‘obsession with technology and newness.’ (Willy Vanderperre)
Business of Fashion

Here you go!
MILAN — Matthieu Blazy shows up in a Stone Island sweatshirt, bomber, jeans and cap, looking more like a teen ragazzo than the man who is about to debut his first collection as creative director of Bottega Veneta, one of the brightest jewels in the Kering crown. His predecessor Daniel Lee exited abruptly in November 2021. You can count the days Blazy, previously Lee’s design director, has had to make something new. “I’ll be honest, I’m pretty nervous,” he concedes. “I hide it behind a big smile.”

But if anyone’s ready for such a challenge, it’s him. “I really think now it’s the right time. I have enough experience and I know myself a little bit better to be able to make an objective decision and not be scared by the consequences. It’s a tough industry, but I know how to work with an atelier, I know how to work with a merchandising team. I know how the clothes are going to be translated into stock. I know how to work with a design team now. And I feel very comfortable with that. Now there is another scale, of course, like working with marketing imagery. But that’s just adding something to what I knew already. So it’s nice to be in charge.”

He says he’s been offered many creative directorships in the past but Bottega was the first one for which he felt really prepared. “This is really an environment where I can explore and work in an efficient way. Because of the link to craft, you have an incredible atelier. And it’s interesting that Bottega is a company you can reinvent each time.”

The last two re-inventions yielded major dividends for Kering. For close to two decades, Tomas Maier glossed the booming accessories business with alluringly cinematic film noir narratives. Daniel Lee went in the opposite direction, provoking rather than seducing, but still managing to galvanise a whole new audience for Bottega. “Obviously I built a relationship with a lot of people in the company in different positions. As a creative director, I can still have those kinds of relations.”

Blazy’s career stands on some remarkable shoulders. Following his graduation from Belgium’s La Cambre in 2007, he worked as a menswear designer for Raf Simons. After four years at Margiela, he was headhunted by Phoebe Philo for her Céline, where he first met Daniel Lee. Then he rejoined Simons at Calvin Klein, working alongside Pieter Mulier, Blazy’s partner, until Simons exited in 2019. Lee picked Blazy as his design director for ready-to-wear in 2020.

The comings and goings on that resumé — not just his own but some of the people he worked with, most controversially Lee’s departure from Bottega — underscore the volatility that occasionally rears its head in fashion. Blazy’s position is straightforward: no more drama. “I was given this position. I just put myself to work, without questioning the event too much.”

“We talk a lot about the dramatic situation,” he continues. “But you have everything that happened before and that was also an epiphany. I mean, we work in a tricky industry, but instead of just talking about the drama, I think it’s also important to talk about all the good things that were produced in that industry. I’ve learned a lot from every situation I’ve been in. Raf was an education. Margiela was an exploration. Calvin was an adventure. I will always remember the head of atelier at Celine from whom I learned so much about just making great clothes. And the way Phoebe put things together with such incredible style and instinct. I really took a lot of good things from them all.” And Blazy has distilled it into his own code: “Follow your gut, stick to something quite primitive as an idea, don’t overwork it, edit down. And if your idea becomes something that is not yours anymore, cancel it.”

Though he calls himself Belgian, Blazy was raised in Paris, his father French, his mother born in Antwerp. They both worked in the art world. Blazy says he spent his entire life at the auction house Drouot. ‘When you arrive, you just have this huge mass of objects from all around the world, and somehow they always create something quite coherent. One day you can buy a bed, the next day, it’s gonna be a Kees van Dongen painting. But the juxtaposition works. And my approach at Margiela was to take a lot of things that I liked and to kind of collage them. like the Exquisite Corpse game the Surrealists played. And then the solution was very simple. Does it work? Does it make sense to me? Sometimes it created a kind of monster, but in the best way. It’s interesting because it opened new doors: take something from the 20s and connect it with something produced by Nike to make something new.”

Blazy’s approach blossomed in a string of stunning collections for Margiela’s “Artisanal” label, not so much haute couture as haute collage. The source material was encyclopaedic: prom dresses from the 50s, costumes from the Beijing Opera, Art Nouveau curtains, Frank Lloyd Wright textiles, Bauhaus tapestries and on and on across time and space. The models wore eerie masks that were like art pieces in themselves. They understandably generated an enormous amount of attention. Kanye West, pop cultural weathervane, sported the densely beaded facehuggers from Autumn 2013 on tour.

It was typical of Maison Margiela that the collections were attributed to the design collective rather than any single individual in the team, though in this case the attribution was slightly perverse given the radical idiosyncrasy of Blazy’s work. But he found the anonymity convenient, relieving him of the stress of being put in front of everyone, at the same time as it allowed him to push his designs.

“I like the idea of luxury in motion, and I think the clothes should follow that.”

At Margiela, his office was in the atelier. He describes his work there as “a constant conversation, between me giving directions, inspiration, correcting things, and then working directly with the people that were making and producing those clothes.” Bottega has been somewhat the same. “You can speak directly with the people that make the clothes, with the people that make the bags. You don’t talk just to designers, you talk to the makers. And this I find incredible.” It suddenly strikes Blazy that Bottega Veneta is something of a collective itself. “It’s a factory, an Italian workshop, which is quite close to Margiela if you think about it, the idea of that maison workshop.”

“What really interests me at Bottega is that, first, it’s a bag company. So, it’s purely pragmatic. And if you have a bag company, it means that you have motion. You’re going somewhere with a bag,” he says. “I like the idea of luxury in motion, and I think the clothes should follow that. Today, when you look at all the clothes that are made, everything is made as an image, nothing is made to really move again. Or else it’s sportswear. So that’s the kind of field I want to explore.”

Of course, there will be bags. “A lot of leather, but nothing moulded, nothing made by machine. Everything is really 100 percent handmade, and we did a lot of bags that have absolutely no stitching. They’ve created an object solely by weaving. I don’t think you have to always reinvent something if it works so well. So we’ve proposed new shapes, but the technique is the same.”

If there’s one word that Blazy seems partial to, it’s “pragmatic.” He claims that’s what defines him as Belgian. It’s also the word he uses to describe his own approach to Bottega. He rattles off a self-inquisition: How do you feel when you wear the clothes? What is luxury? Is grey flannel relevant? Does it need to scream luxury? Is it modern because it’s made by a machine? Can you still create the idea of motion and energy without falling into sportswear? What would Gianni Agnelli wear? These are the questions you can expect Blazy will be trying to answer with his first show. I have my own query: Why Agnelli? “Because it’s an Italian brand and you’re talking about someone who didn’t look ‘fashion,’ just looked stylish. You know, the idea of an allure.”

“I want to reconnect with an Italian pedigree,” Blazy adds. “When Bottega was created in the ‘70s there was an incredible scene in Italy, with architects, filmmakers, furniture designers. And look at the great stuff happening in Venice, whether it’s dance, art, the cinema. I really want to root it back there.”

“So this first show for me is a base on which I’m going to build. I really want to go back to the idea of quiet power, the wardrobe. Style over screaming image. I wonder if people are going to expect me to show masks and a monster silhouette. You know, I’m also interested in just making a great pair of trousers. Can you move in them? Do they feel comfortable? Do they look good? Do you have a sense of allure and style in them? Seduction is an important word in the collection. I’m really obsessed by everything Carlo Mollino did, from his furniture to his photography. His women show a lot of flesh but they are very empowered. They don’t look like sexualised ‘90s trash. They own their sexuality, their sensuality. This I found really interesting to explore for Bottega. The idea of flesh, and maybe a more mature sexuality.”

Blazy has spoken in the past about how much he values the uniqueness and emotion of vintage clothing. He and Mulier have a huge archive in Antwerp, not just of vintage fashion, but of vernacular clothing, too, like work clothes, lingerie, even a collection of clown costumes. Mulier is now in his second year as creative director of Alaïa in Paris, which, with Blazy at Bottega in Milan, makes for fashion’s most fascinating power couple. And perhaps its most tortured, not only in terms of the time they no longer get to spend together, but also with all the topics that must remain off the table in their conversations. In a funny way, the archive has been a big help. “During the first lockdown, we really reorganised it, and it was a good opening to discuss fashion with Peter without talking about our jobs. We never talk about work. We never show each other anything. Never. But we always talk about fashion and art and design.”

And if vintage was able to offer some emotional succour during their lockdowns, it has obviously served Blazy incredibly well in his own career. “But I felt like I had to turn that page a little bit,” he says now. He didn’t work with vintage at all for his Bottega debut, though there was one image he cherished while he was designing because he says it so beautifully conveyed the emotion that attaches itself to clothes. It’s a random photograph from the ‘40s of a boy wearing a handknit sweater. “Probably made by his grandmother, and it’s not well-made, which is also quite beautiful. But the pride he has wearing it! I like the idea that he’s going to keep this sweater forever because it’s very precious. And it looks precious, although it isn’t at all. So, we also looked for that when we were making the clothes. Do they look like they have emotion? The question was always: could they be unique? Not that we try to do something vintage, that’s not the idea at all. It’s more when you look at this, can it become precious to you? Does it look handmade? Is it perfect? Not really. But would I wear it? Yes, immediately.”

“This I found really interesting to explore for Bottega. The idea of flesh, and maybe a more mature sexuality.”

“This obsession with technology and newness, I find it’s something that I question. Because it may be new in the manufacturing but is the result really new? You can’t say about craft and hand-making that it’s out of date. It’s not because you make something by hand that it’s not new. It’s really the question of longevity. Craft for me is timeless. What I question is the obsession with that, in always trying to make something that looks visually new, you have to use a new technology. I think it’s wrong.”

And yet Daniel Lee did seem to light on “newness” at Bottega by confounding people’s expectations. If everybody’s talking about the search for beauty in fashion, give them things that border on ugly and they look new, or, at the very least, unexpected. This idea excites Blazy. He asks if I know the Italian intellectual Umberto Eco’s influential text “History of Ugliness,’ with its proposal that ugliness is more fun than beauty. “We could talk all day about that. Look at what Miuccia says about the quest for beauty through ugliness. I think it resonates in all of history. But the question for me is not so much, ‘Is it ugly or beautiful?’ but ‘Am I attracted to it, and why?’ Some people might find it very ugly and I’m fine with that.” For example, you’ll see lace in the new collection. Blazy doesn’t like lace but he was so attracted to the incredible lace-clad women in Carlo Mollino’s work that he felt he needed to explore his aversion a bit more, to understand, maybe even dismiss it.

There is clearly a particularly bright spotlight on Blazy, given the circumstances of his ascent at Bottega and expectations that he will keep up the brand’s momentum. “Obviously the proposal is very different, but for me the continuity comes with the craft.”

One touchstone for the new collection is a 1913 sculpture by the Italian Futurist Umberto Boccioni. He first came across it in one of his parents’ art books. Its full title is “Unique Forms of Continuity in Space” and it captures a muscular man in mid-movement. It looks a little like a Francis Bacon rendered in bronze rather than paint. “There is something extremely alluring about it. It goes somewhere. There are a few silhouettes that I really want to express that idea of motion.”

“When you look at this, can it become precious to you? Does it look handmade? The obsession with technology and newness is something that I question.”

The Boccioni inspired Blazy to address the two-dimensionality of fashion. “It’s funny to think that most of what the audience sees on Vogue Runway is two-dimensional. We never talk about the profile anymore, or the back. So we’ve challenged ourselves on this idea. Maybe it’s very boring from the front, reading in 2D, like a certain idea of classicism, and then when you experiment with the silhouette in profile, you have this idea of the allure, the movement. I also like the idea to work on the back, to really go back to the idea of 3D-ness around the silhouette.”

How the clothes will be perceived on the catwalk brings us to the issue of presentation. Over the past two years, Lee introduced his collections with a series of unpredictable, often tech-y interventions. And when it was finally possible to stage a proper old-school show, he chose Detroit as his venue. Under Blazy, Bottega, like Kering anchor Gucci, is back on the fashion calendar in Milan. It’s a homecoming both literal and figurative. “I don’t think that being radical is always the right solution for radicalism,” he explains. “It’s also interesting to work within the framework of the industry. Sometimes you’re more creative. You can do whatever you want. I’m very comfortable with the idea of showing back in Milan. We’re doing the show in the new headquarters which are completely destroyed at the moment. I thought it was nice to already connect what we are doing now to that new building. I’m not saying that every show will be Milan but for now, I think it was nice to reconnect and also be part of a bigger conversation.”

The show invitation is a piece of green leather, left over from the bags. “I think it was interesting to touch the quality, something very physical,” says Blazy. It’s been two years since Lee imposed that very specific green in an effort to create a visual identity for Bottega, like Hermès with its orange or Tiffany with its robin’s-egg blue. It was a typically provocative gesture. Green is traditionally a very hard sell at retail. And, according to Blazy, green perfumes don’t sell either. (He has always worn one: Vetiver by Guerlain). So why hold on to this ambiguous fragment of the immediate past?

Blazy accepts the inevitability of a teething period while he takes over. That’s why he’s still drawn to the green. It’s the same shade as the greenscreen in cinema, where anything can be made to happen. “You have this transition from Daniel to me, so why not push the green as a screen?” It’s already happening on the app Bottega just launched. “We can project any imagery to maintain a conversation with people who are interested in seeing what we’re doing.”

“We’ll see, you know,” Blazy adds. “Today I’m telling you flannel, tomorrow I may be telling you baroque and in five seasons, maybe it’s going to be about the matrix.” Fine with me, as long as it’s not green.
Business of Fashion

Drama with Blazy's first bag which Bottega Veneta is pricing at the higher-end of the spectrum, equivalent to Chanel.

Is a Bottega Veneta Bag Worth a Classic Chanel? China Is Not So Sure
BY EMMA LI / MARCH 12 2022

bottega-veneta-bag-kalimero-1240x698.jpeg
Bottega Veneta has unveiled its latest handbag, Kalimero. With a price tag almost equivalent to Chanel's Classic Flap bag, can it become the next It bag? Photo: Bottega Veneta

What Happened: Following Bottega Veneta’s F/W 2022 runway show, the Italian luxury brand released its new handbag, Kalimero. The unlined bucket bag, crafted entirely from calfskin leather, sports a sliding shoulder strap with a knotted end. It’s on sale through pre-order via the brand’s global official website and WeChat Mini Program for a limited time only and will ship in August. Available in four colors, it retails for nearly $9,497 (RMB 60,000) — the equivalent price of Chanel’s Classic Flap bag.

eCom-715021V2BJ09326_A-1739x2048.jpeg
Featuring a new approach to the intreccio, Matthieu Blazy’s new Kalimero bag is woven entirely by hand. Photo: Bottega Veneta

The Jing Take: The leather bag business offers vital growth for Bottega Veneta, which is renowned for its signature Intrecciato technique (a distinctive leather weaving design). According to a report from the digital consulting firm Lectra, handbags and shoes are the main source of income for the brand: in 2020, 74 percent of their global sales came from leather goods. Moreover, 42 percent of its products are leather goods. So it’s obviously crucial the label gets this new release right.

Matthieu Blazy has worked at Balenciaga, Raf Simons, Celine, and Calvin Klein before becoming the Ready-to-Wear creative director in 2020, so his credentials were pretty much assured. But his debut sparked a complex online discussion — and more than anything, netizens seem unsatisfied with his latest collection. Some even went so far as to comment that they could not see any products with the potential to become the next It bag.

And then there’s the unexpected price tag, which has also caused some controversy among locals. “I would rather buy Chanel for $9,497 (RMB 60,000), why should I buy an unrenowned bag in the same budget?” neitizen@LY Fashion life said on Xiaohongshu.

In contrast, the average price of the first series of handbags by the brand’s previous creative director, Daniel Lee, was around $3,165 (RMB 20,000); the cost of a bag like The Pouch, or CASSETTE, was roughly $1,582 (RMB 10,000). These are all now the favored bags of their seasons, firmly in young generations’ hearts and hands.

It has always been widely accepted that luxury brands will raise their prices annually or even more frequently — but always bit by bit. This move indicates that Bottega Veneta is opting out of the incremental increase structure adopted by its contemporaries. Instead of working up to a higher price, it’s choosing to release the new creative director’s first model as a high ticket item. But this is a dangerous position. Rome was not built in a day. The same can be said of a handbag’s reputation.
JING DAILY

That bag is weird but historically, a Bottega Veneta intrecciato classic Cabas was more expensive than a Chanel classic.

I think some people needs to chill with those bags conversations. It’s becoming seriously annoying.

^Comparing Lee's bags to the new one is completely pointless as the craftsmanship behind Kalimero is much more advanced than the one from Casette, which is relatively basic due to the size of the straps. That being said, I somehow agree with those claims that Kalimero may be too experimental for customers. But only time will tell, other models from the same collection seemed to be much more versatile and user-friendly so it's not like Bottega will suddenly become avant-garde.

I’m very done with bags having to look like art objects. Can a bag just be a bag again?

I will say I was somewhat intrigued by this style that was also shown. Is this a new design or am I just out of the Bottega loop?

bottega-veneta-clp-po-f22-019.jpg
vogue

I’m very done with bags having to look like art objects. Can a bag just be a bag again?
I'm gonna try not to hijack this thread but this reminds me lol the other day I saw someone on insta get a new LV neverfull and they referred to it as a "piece" and for some reason it sent me into orbit. Like whoever introduced this language to shoes/handbags/clothes is an evil genius. Getting people to regard a canvas tote bag as like some sort of artistic composition is just T_T. It's a bag. You put stuff in it. As a stupid consumer I understand those things being objects of desire and needing to waste money but like reel it in for a second and realize you aren't mouna ayoub buying sh*t for the sake of exclusivity and rarity as a hobby because you have more money than brains. You're buying an overpriced container. I know it's chic but calm down. I forgot which thread this was discussed in before but there's this thing of making fashion companies more auction house-esque so they can sell valuable assets instead of just products. And now there's a sh*t ton of discourse surrounding the value of these assets i.e. Chanel flap vs birkin and now vs Bottega whatever. R e l a x. When WW3 happens nobody's gonna trade your f*cking handbag for food.

I believe that the tenure of Daniel Lee has commercialized the brand in way that should have never happened. There was a certain je ne sais quoi about Bottega Veneta. It used to look incredibly luxurious while still being low-key. I don't feel the same way anymore. I've been seeing people on Instagram and Tik Tok with the bright green woven bag and the square shoes, and boy do they look cheap. Anyone remember the old tagline "When Your Own Initials Are Enough." Apparently it's not according to Kering. Bottega Veneta under Tomas Maier was perfection( My heart still melts over S/S07, S/S09, and F/W09). It's really a shame Kering felt the need lower the reputation of the brand by hiring a trendy designer backed by ludicrous amounts of marketing and paid press. Matthieu isn't as flashy as Daniel Lee, so maybe he will show some respect to the staff and hopefully the heritage of the house.

I believe that the tenure of Daniel Lee has commercialized the brand in way that should have never happened. There was a certain je ne sais quoi about Bottega Veneta. It used to look incredibly luxurious while still being low-key. I don't feel the same way anymore. I've been seeing people on Instagram and Tik Tok with the bright green woven bag and the square shoes, and boy do they look cheap. Anyone remember the old tagline "When Your Own Initials Are Enough." Apparently it's not according to Kering. Bottega Veneta under Tomas Maier was perfection( My heart still melts over S/S07, S/S09, and F/W09). It's really a shame Kering felt the need lower the reputation of the brand by hiring a trendy designer backed by ludicrous amounts of marketing and paid press. Matthieu isn't as flashy as Daniel Lee, so maybe he will show some respect to the staff and hopefully the heritage of the house.

I always say that KERING, or the Pinault really thinks about fashion on a short term vision. I don’t know if they were traumatized by the early days of the Gucci Group but they haven’t had a strategy that can be long lasting for the image of their brands.

What you are saying about BV is true because the strategy of BV was to compete HERMES.
When Dom and Tom created the Gucci Group, each brand was supposed to compete with other big players. Gucci was against Vuitton and Prada. Yves Saint Laurent was supposed to go against Dior and Chanel (that’s why he went into that frenetic thing of buying back the licenses), BV was for HERMES, Boucheron was for Cartier, Sergio Rossi was in the group because there was a rising at that time of Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin, Manolo Blahnik…

So, the strategy around BV was interesting because by hiring Tomas Maier and by proposing a fashion proposition more axed around « style » than « fashion », they spoke to a different clientele quite fast. Bottega Veneta was created in the 60’s, it was very low key… And with Tomas Maier, in less than 2 years, they have managed to recreate a certain idea of Old money even though in the beginning of the 00’s, with Giles Deacon, they have kind of lost themselves.

And that vision for BV was clever because for a longtime, it was the second best performing brand of the group. BV reached the billion before YSL without selling any logos. What Maier did was great but I think that the brand needed a bit of energy back. The mistake tho was how radical the changes were.
The brand started depending on very « seasonal products ». It’s a pity because I think for the first year, they had a good line up of products.

I think that Blazy will reconciliate all the clienteles of BV. He brought back the classic intrecciato.
In a way, having a much more interesting fashion appeal makes it easier to sell all the categories of products. A lot of people are talking on the Internet about the games Hermes makes them play in order to buy Birkin and Kelly bags. In reality, Hermes wouldn’t have to use those strategy if they had an interesting line up of products in the fashion department. They have stopped making efforts.

When Jean Louis Dumas appointed Margiela and Gaultier, the goal was to give a signal to the industry and those designers allowed them to make efforts and to take risks.

Pierre Hardy does the shoes for Hermes. His offering to the brand now is so lackluster to what it used to be. Gaultier allowed the brand to be more sexy, seductive. When I think about a celebrity who really pushed the Birkin and Kelly in the mainstream world, I think about Victoria Beckham. 15 years ago, she was everywhere with her Hermes bags but the collections were good so people didn’t felt forced to buy things. Carla Bruni wore Hermes when she was a First Lady too.

Nevertheless, the first collection of Blazy was a good signal. He just need to remember that Bottega Veneta is a luxury good company, not a fashion company. Chanel can always count on the HC and Tweed jackets to maintain it prestige, Dior has HC. Gucci is a great brand but can be seen as less luxurious because it’s everywhere compared to a brand like Vuitton that has always walked fabulously the line of exclusivity and mainstream success.

Matthieu's first collection is going to be very expensive. I have heard through the merchandisers in Italy that they are a little stressed about selling this collection. Blazy is trying to push Bottega Veneta all super upscale and luxe; but in the span of one season, it's just too fast too soon.

Also, the reaction to his first show, from both buyers and clients, was pretty lukewarm. I mean, besides the fact that the clothes were quite generic looking, the prices in some cases are nearing double what Daniel Lee's clothes. And the bags, well, you can see for yourselves they are trying to get into that above $10,000 market. The clientele is not stupid. At the kind of price point, they will probably go to Chanel or Dior or Hermes.

I'm sorry to say it, but Bottega is simply not at the level of brands like Chanel and Dior, which are (for a start) Haute Couture Maisons. Secondly, these "Uber-luxury" brands really control and limit their distribution. Bottega on the other hand is selling on nearly every single online store (Net-A-Porter, Mr. Porter, Matches, Luisa Via Roma, My Theresa, Ssense, etc etc).

It all seems very contradictory to me and this whole strategy seems very bizarre. Blazy clearly doesn't have the commercial understanding that Lee had, and that's going to be his undoing at BV. You can't have your [design] cake and eat it too. You either design clothes and accessories that are good and desirable and at a reasonable price point, or you go and work for a different brand...

Matthieu's first collection is going to be very expensive. I have heard through the merchandisers in Italy that they are a little stressed about selling this collection. Blazy is trying to push Bottega Veneta all super upscale and luxe; but in the span of one season, it's just too fast too soon.

It all seems very contradictory to me and this whole strategy seems very bizarre. Blazy clearly doesn't have the commercial understanding that Lee had, and that's going to be his undoing at BV. You can't have your [design] cake and eat it too. You either design clothes and accessories that are good and desirable and at a reasonable price point, or you go and work for a different brand...

What's funniest about this is that it sounds like the exact same nail in the coffin for Calvin Klein 205W39NYC. The designs were refreshing and took a very unique perspective on Americana. The collections were critically and editorially very positively received, but stores couldn't sell the damn pieces... even during sale season at 60-75% markdowns.

At the end of the day, clients weren't willing to pay $1,190 for a printed cotton button down with the Calvin Klein brand name still somewhere on the label.

The odds of whole experiment succeeding go up significantly if they had priced garments mid-tier ($400-500 knitwear, $600-900 outerwear, $300-400 shirts and pants). Instead, Simons, Mulier, and Blazy delusively overvalued the Calvin Klein brand.

^^And yet, belligerently, the industry keeps rewarding this incompetent trio of Raf, Pieter, and Matthieu. Failure after failure somehow never catches up to them. Shameful.

Matthieu and Pieter, especially…they are studio designers at best. They do not possess the vision to lead brands - and judging by the collections I’ve seen from them at Alaia and Bottega, they’ve given me no reason to feel otherwise.

The overall impression I get from this trio is arrogance.

I'm not sure if CK205 being 'critically lauded' really means much when the industry seemed at the time (and still does) hell-bent in blowing smoke up raf's *** no matter what the output... Customers aren't completely dumb, there was no novelty in his view on Americana (quilts! marching bands! firefighters?), no matter paying $$$ for the privilege... as said above everything about it reeked of arrogance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->