Bottega Veneta Deleted Their Social Media Pages

Benn98

Reaction score
Bottega Veneta Has Left Social Media, Deleting Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

The move follows the brand’s insiders-only SS21 show and increased scrutiny on social media platforms’ collection of user data.

Bottega Veneta
Fashion
17 Hrs ago
By Clara Malle

Today, Bottega Veneta deleted its social media accounts on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. The Italian luxury brand, currently helmed by creative director Daniel Lee, has not made a statement about the reason and duration of their social media blackout, but perhaps they have already laid the groundwork for a more low-key approach.

Its Spring/Summer 2021 collection was presented before a shortlist of industry leaders and big-name influencers, in contrast to the swath of attendees you typically see lining the runway at fashion week.

Nonetheless, the move to erase social media entirely is quite novel. Business of Fashion rightly notes fashion’s growing reliance on social media as a marketing tool and direct line of communication with customers, especially in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic; over the past year, many fashion brands have adapted and expanded their social media strategies to suit the “new normal,” even embracing burgeoning platforms like TikTok.

But influencer marketing on social media isn’t without its drawbacks.

In 2019, brands were projected to spend $8.5 million USD on influencer marketing alone, but a report that year found that influencer fraud collectively cost brands $1 billion USD — a number that was predicted to swell by 50 percent in 2020. The report also found resulting that a staggering 50 percent of engagement in sponsored content was fake, driven by purchased fake followers and engagement numbers.

The last year has also seen renewed emphasis on privacy concerns related to the use of personal information by social media platforms. In December, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission ordered nine companies, including TikTok owner ByteDance, Facebook, Snapchat and Twitter, to explain how they track, collect and implement users’ data.

Hypebeast

Whatever the reason, I think IG can have a role in communicating a brand identity without relying on influencers marketing.
Maybe it's time we start revising some received notions about the whole influencers economy and the role they play in reality, as opposed to the usual PR blahblahblah...

Whatever the reason, I think IG can have a role in communicating a brand identity without relying on influencers marketing.
Maybe it's time we start revising some received notions about the whole influencers economy and the role they play in reality, as opposed to the usual PR blahblahblah...

Right. It's not Instagram that's the problem, it's the way brands conduct themselves on there that is.
I'd much rather have BV tapping out of pre-fall and pre-spring collections than making these hollow statements.

'But oh wait, Armani already did that and we'd just look like followers. What else can we do to be the first!?! Ah, deleting their social media!'

I actually liked the news when I first heard about it. I’m always a bit confused on the strategy of the brands regarding social media and I think what was interesting about Bottega Veneta or even Celine under Phoebe was the fans accounts. Those brands are not necessary very engaging in their own pages and the fans pages are really indeed the real « communities ».

Not having IG for a brand that has so much of a buzz is not bad. They don’t have a redcarpet presence so in a way, communicating on celebrities does not make sense.

People are into the BTS and I think there are a lot of impersonal IG pages.
Hermès has an amazingly curated IG but it’s really not that engaging. On the other hand, Hermès-related fans accounts are quite tacky on the over-exposure of Birkins and Kelly.

Bottega never had strong social media, their Instagram page been updated once in two weeks, they had blank Facebook page, blank internet site only selling their goods and never telling history, campaigns or any other marketing communication tools. It was always kind of secret for me, why bother with multiple ad campaign and never post ‘em anywhere.
so No regrets.

Such a stunt queen. If they really want to off social media why hired a new Global Social Media Manager, what to they do? Play Candy Crush at work. The way media outlet jumped immediately to report about this doesn't feel right to me, like wow a brand off social medias is so important, but turned blind eyes to any news about Alexander Wang .

Just ban cell phones and influencers from fashion shows altogether. I would like to see editors writing in notebooks again instead of shoving their phone into their neighbors face to snap a picture that a hundred other people have already shot and posted. It’s terrible to see what social media has done to the fashion industry. I don’t care for Daniel Lee at all, but I will gain a new respect for him if he follows through with this plan.

I actually liked the news when I first heard about it. I’m always a bit confused on the strategy of the brands regarding social media and I think what was interesting about Bottega Veneta or even Celine under Phoebe was the fans accounts. Those brands are not necessary very engaging in their own pages and the fans pages are really indeed the real « communities ».

Not having IG for a brand that has so much of a buzz is not bad. They don’t have a redcarpet presence so in a way, communicating on celebrities does not make sense.

I totally agree. I have to say that the ‘fan’ account @newbottega is very well done both in diverse content and aesthetics. In fact it’s way better than most brands’ own social media accounts. They actually should pay this girl big €€€ for running this account with 358k followers for an unofficial account! (Maybe they already do!)

Social media does take away most of the mystery and magic so I can follow this move. Not sure if its a stunt.

I totally agree. I have to say that the ‘fan’ account @newbottega is very well done both in diverse content and aesthetics. In fact it’s way better than most brands’ own social media accounts. They actually should pay this girl big €€€ for running this account with 358k followers for an unofficial account! (Maybe they already do!)

Social media does take away most of the mystery and magic so I can follow this move. Not sure if its a stunt.

I'm pretty sure they already pay her with Bottega Veneta goods :magic:

The elitism of these comments... whether you like it or not social media is part of the marketing mix it helps SELL and trying to keep brands to a small niche of people via word of mouth is not only elitist but a stupid plan that won’t work.
They’ll be back don’t you worry

I think Bottega Veneta or any other brand should sue any influencer they worked with that used fraudulent means to boost engagement.

Wholeheartedly agree! To begin with, influencer marketing in the current state is way too shrouded and incestuous IMO, and I would only be too happy if we could do away with it as soon as possible. It's simply not regulated enough because the overlords know that would hit their bottom line.

But my main issue is legitimate brands like Bottega and Vuitton who engage in it. They are the ones who created this monster really.

Wholeheartedly agree! To begin with, influencer marketing in the current state is way too shrouded and incestuous IMO, and I would only be too happy if we could do away with it as soon as possible. It's simply not regulated enough because the overlords know that would hit their bottom line.

But my main issue is legitimate brands like Bottega and Vuitton who engage in it. They are the ones who created this monster really.

And we're just going to pretend Dior and Fendi are somehow not part of the problem? I definitely would not say BV is as bad as these brands though when it comes to indecent exposure lol.

And we're just going to pretend Dior and Fendi are somehow not part of the problem? I definitely would not say BV is as bad as these brands though when it comes to indecent exposure lol.

No, certainly, I'm sure there are many more including a brand like Sportmax. Bottega was just on the tip of my tongue, and because I despise anything and everything Vuitton they live rent-free in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->