Bottega Veneta - The All-Things Bottega Veneta Thread

Of course the prices are outrageous but there's hardly anything new about this.
What is relatively new is that the 'public' can now easily see prices and actually order the most special runway pieces which before would not be taken into production at all, or maybe 10-15 pieces for the global market. I'd love to see Moda Operandi numbers of orders of this collection and who is buying it.

I remember Balenciaga by NG runway pieces retail in the over 20.000 EUR range 15 years ago (and that is uncorrected for inflation). Or Balmain at the time of Christophe Decarnin which was so highly priced that people were buying it because of the ridiculous pricing..

I don't think these 'special' runway pieces are very indicative of a general price level when typically only maybe 20-30% of a runway collection will find its way to the store.
Having said that it seems Bottega is following Prada and other brands in an increasing price spiral, whereby the more commercial bags, shoes and RTW are criminally overpriced too.

Of course the prices are outrageous but there's hardly anything new about this.
What is relatively new is that the 'public' can now easily see prices and actually order the most special runway pieces which before would not be taken into production at all, or maybe 10-15 pieces for the global market. I'd love to see Moda Operandi numbers of orders of this collection and who is buying it.

I remember Balenciaga by NG runway pieces retail in the over 20.000 EUR range 15 years ago (and that is uncorrected for inflation). Or Balmain at the time of Christophe Decarnin which was so highly priced that people were buying it because of the ridiculous pricing..

I don't think these 'special' runway pieces are very indicative of a general price level when typically only maybe 20-30% of a runway collection will find its way to the store.
Having said that it seems Bottega is following Prada and other brands in an increasing price spiral, whereby the more commercial bags, shoes and RTW are criminally overpriced too.
You said it all but I think 15 years ago, with a lot of brands, those special pieces « felt special » for various reasons.

Balenciaga wasn’t yet that very globalized brand and the expensive prices were justified by the innovations, the quantities and the fact that it was made in France. When I think about Spring 2008, the collection has kept it charm but it’s essentially « just » silk neoprene and silk.

Chanel’s eveningwear has always been very expensive. But under Karl, it was almost Couture level. I think about the feather dress from spring 2011…It was Couture prices and who ever bought that dress had Couture services.

Balmain was outrageously expensive but they were surprised by their success. At the time, everything was made in France with the unchanged facilities from the Oscar De La Renta days. They were operating in a very different scale.

I feel like today, the sense of exclusivity is totally lost because everything is overpriced.

I will always use that example but when Chanel sells a 5000€ tshirt alongside a 6500€ tweed jacket (the average price for the tweed jackets), which is a staple in the Chanel dna, what does it tell you about value?

Back then, the type of leather defined the prices of the bags. That’s why a Prada nylon bag cost less than a Prada doctor bag in alligator. A brand like Bottega Veneta sold very expensive intrecciato bags because it was made by hands. And the elusive nature of the brand made it easier for them to sell clothes and bags at those prices. The women who bought BV gowns weren’t different from Chanel HC clients. That’s why we barely saw BV by Maier on the Redcarpet and why they were so cautious about celebrity associations.

I think about the feather dress from spring 2011…It was Couture prices and who ever bought that dress had Couture services.
True like that is in a totally different realm than what Bottega is trying to do. Or at least what modaoperandi is doing with it. I don't think the people that do spend money on those types of pieces are preordering them on online. It is silly to spend 5 figures on something you can't see or be fitted for. It's just to show "look, this is who we are" so someone will buy a bag lol

You said it all but I think 15 years ago, with a lot of brands, those special pieces « felt special » for various reasons.

Balenciaga wasn’t yet that very globalized brand and the expensive prices were justified by the innovations, the quantities and the fact that it was made in France. When I think about Spring 2008, the collection has kept it charm but it’s essentially « just » silk neoprene and silk.

Chanel’s eveningwear has always been very expensive. But under Karl, it was almost Couture level. I think about the feather dress from spring 2011…It was Couture prices and who ever bought that dress had Couture services.

Balmain was outrageously expensive but they were surprised by their success. At the time, everything was made in France with the unchanged facilities from the Oscar De La Renta days. They were operating in a very different scale.

I feel like today, the sense of exclusivity is totally lost because everything is overpriced.

I will always use that example but when Chanel sells a 5000€ tshirt alongside a 6500€ tweed jacket (the average price for the tweed jackets), which is a staple in the Chanel dna, what does it tell you about value?

Back then, the type of leather defined the prices of the bags. That’s why a Prada nylon bag cost less than a Prada doctor bag in alligator. A brand like Bottega Veneta sold very expensive intrecciato bags because it was made by hands. And the elusive nature of the brand made it easier for them to sell clothes and bags at those prices. The women who bought BV gowns weren’t different from Chanel HC clients. That’s why we barely saw BV by Maier on the Redcarpet and why they were so cautious about celebrity associations.

I think you summed it up quite accurately that RTW prices back in this time, although at times reaching the realm of demi-couture (such as the outrage about Olivier Theyskens' Rochas prices, which by the standards of today, can be considered normal for most luxury RTW lines), were justified by the level of craftsmanship and materials that went into the product. Balmain under Christophe Decarnin was indeed the first example of a brand exceeding that level of uber-expensiveness really exploiting the power of hype and therefor setting the trend among other brands wanting to replicate this success formula - But for the most part, most mainline RTW brands (unless it was Chanel or Hermès that were always operating in a higher level of luxury as all the others), were remaining in a similar level of pricing that today would probably equal with brands like Courreges or Paco Rabanne.

to be honest the more expensive everything gets the less I want to buy or wear it. What does it say about me running around with something that everyone knows is extremely expensive? It makes me feel self conscious more than anything

Honestly, they're not concerned about how outrageous the RTW prices are bc they're not overly concerned about selling RTW at this point, as sad as that might sound. It's simply not enough of a source for revenue.

Production for Bottega RTW has been a mess since the beginning of the pandemic and they've made zero effort trying to restore it. Some pieces from Salon 02 didn't arrive in any of the London stores until mid-December, and when I went in to try on a piece I had been eyeing, they told me only ONE of my size had been allocated for the entire continent of Europe and it was sold out... This wasn't an isolated incident either, so many RTW pieces I've purchased had to be transferred from Italy or France bc it was "the only one in that size allocated in EU".

Production for Bottega RTW has been a mess since the beginning of the pandemic and they've made zero effort trying to restore it. Some pieces from Salon 02 didn't arrive in any of the London stores until mid-December, and when I went in to try on a piece I had been eyeing, they told me only ONE of my size had been allocated for the entire continent of Europe and it was sold out... This wasn't an isolated incident either, so many RTW pieces I've purchased had to be transferred from Italy or France bc it was "the only one in that size allocated in EU".

They still have ongoing production issues. Nothing has changed! They are still receiving pieces from the Cruise collection, whilst all the other brands are launching Spring Summer at the moment. Even their official website is still highlighting the Cruise collection, with no S/S pieces on there whatsoever. Meanwhile at the end of next month, the rest of the brands will start to receive Pre-Fall collections!

The production for some reason is very, very slow at BV. Not sure why? Does anybody know?

They still have ongoing production issues. Nothing has changed! They are still receiving pieces from the Cruise collection, whilst all the other brands are launching Spring Summer at the moment. Even their official website is still highlighting the Cruise collection, with no S/S pieces on there whatsoever. Meanwhile at the end of next month, the rest of the brands will start to receive Pre-Fall collections!

The production for some reason is very, very slow at BV. Not sure why? Does anybody know?

I have an idea of what could be happening based on how Kering structured their RTW production in previous years.

When Balenciaga was acquired by Gucci Group (now Kering), the regular season RTW deliveries for Balenciaga were notoriously late and the buys were slim.

Kering uses the same factories to produce all of their goods across the portfolio. Balenciaga RTW required the most work and was the least profitable. Therefore, Kering would have the factories produce the clothing for the brands that sold RTW best and at the most profit first before moving on to other brands. This left Balenciaga for last, with clients receiving their deliveries just before Sale season sometimes.

This frustrated Nicolas to no end —especially because Kering wasn’t willing to put most of the seasonal clothes into production due to the high level of craftsmanship and low commerciality. His argument was: make the clothes and let the clients decide. Don’t make the decision for them; that’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I imagine that BV RTW currently has the lowest sell-through of Kering brands, and, therefore, Kering is producing the clothes last, which is creating these noticeably late deliveries.

^ A lot of small/independent designer complain that if they want commission a production in factory where big player also do it, always exist opportunity to delay due to main rule which told that priority have the bigger order.

I have an idea of what could be happening based on how Kering structured their RTW production in previous years.

When Balenciaga was acquired by Gucci Group (now Kering), the regular season RTW deliveries for Balenciaga were notoriously late and the buys were slim.

Kering uses the same factories to produce all of their goods across the portfolio. Balenciaga RTW required the most work and was the least profitable. Therefore, Kering would have the factories produce the clothing for the brands that sold RTW best and at the most profit first before moving on to other brands. This left Balenciaga for last, with clients receiving their deliveries just before Sale season sometimes.

This frustrated Nicolas to no end —especially because Kering wasn’t willing to put most of the seasonal clothes into production due to the high level of craftsmanship and low commerciality. His argument was: make the clothes and let the clients decide. Don’t make the decision for them; that’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I imagine that BV RTW currently has the lowest sell-through of Kering brands, and, therefore, Kering is producing the clothes last, which is creating these noticeably late deliveries.
That’s why Nicolas created the capsule collections…Even if after that, it created another problem and other frustrations.

But BV has always had the lowest sell through in RTW than all the brands at KERING. I remember maybe the peak of their RTW has never reached 5%. So now that there’s a strong demand or at least interest and that a strong marketing is involved, why not push it?

I often say that but in the 2010’s, RTW has proven to be a category that was able to impulse growth. From Vuitton to YSL or Gucci, RTW represents between 20 or 40% of the sales sometimes.
A brand like Versace only started recently to invest in their accessories…

Inside Bottega Veneta’s “Brut and Radical” Dance Performance at the Venice Biennale

BY TIZIANA CARDINI / April 22, 2022

The pandemic-delayed opening of the Venice Biennale has triggered a whirlwind of initiatives and events so dense as to tire even the most indefatigable social peacocks. For fashion brands, this year’s Biennale is a juicy opportunity to establish credibility with the art world. Fashion events’ during the opening weekend of “Milk of Dreams,” the Biennale’s official title, varies from the noisy and loud to the elegantly restrained. Bottega Veneta’s definitely registers as the latter, with a radically different communication strategy from the predictable ways of most fashion brands. In Venice, Bottega is supporting a wide program of performances and partnerships with the art world while keeping a sophisticated, rather subdued profile.

Bottega Veneta Dancing Studies Venice Dinner - Cecilia Alemani & Matthieu Blazy.jpeg
Cecilia Alemani and Matthieu Blazy at the Bottega Veneta Dancing Studios dinner. Photo: Courtesy of Bottega Veneta

Being the sole sponsor of Biennale Danza, which will run in Venice from July 22nd until July 31st, surely helps Bottega’s art cred, though for the last two years Bottega has consistently supported emerging talents in the dance world. There have been many BV-branded performances to attend, including a program of performances made in partnership with the Pinault Collection called “Dancing Studies,” inspired by the exhibition “Bruce Neumann: Contrapposto Studies” that was on show in Venice during 2021.

Screenshot 2022-04-23 at 7.55.34 am.png

To celebrate Bottega’s presence at the Biennale this year, the Athens-born, Paris-based dancer and choreographer Lenio Kaklea performed a solo piece for which designer Matthieu Blazy designed the costumes. Staged in a vast room at Punta della Dogana, the set was sparsely scattered with the compressed metal cubes from the label’s Winter 22 show.

At the performance, which was followed by a seated dinner for 50 guests, Matthieu Blazy explained how the project came about. “It all happened in stages. First the idea of Venice, a place where history continues in time. Venice is no museum, rather a place where artistic conversations happen between different fields—art, dance, architecture,” he said. “Bottega was born in the Veneto region, so Venice is a sort of spiritual hometown for us.”

To Blazy, Kaklea’s choreography and style felt instantly right for the brand, too. “When I saw the work of Lenio, there’s a sort of radicalism I was drawn to, and I wanted to collaborate with her to create something new. In her work I feel there are elements which resonate with what we’re doing today at Bottega. The starting point in our last collection was the idea of bringing the idea of motion back into the cut of the clothes, using stretch materials for example or ways of cutting that allow and celebrate movement. In Lenio’s work there’s a kind of raw energy—it’s not that our works mirror each other, but it’s just the juxtaposition of two interesting approaches, it’s a true conversation, when you start it you never know where you’ll end up. It’s something we’ve built up together, she’s an incredible performer. I’ve been following her work for quite some time, I’ve always loved her dance style but never met her in person, but between our teams we immediately established a great communication,” said the designer.

Bottega Veneta Dancing Studies Venice Dinner 02.jpeg
The Bottega Veneta Dancing Studios dinner. Photo: Courtesy of Bottega Veneta

As for the costumes, they marry Blazy’s obsession with movement with sophisticated edginess. “What Lenio adds in her live performance to the clothes we’ve created for her is a strong, raw energy of self-expression, the performance is quite brut and radical,” he said. “The costumes we designed originated from looking at archetypes—a man’s coat, a glamorous night shift, a shirt. We elongated the shapes so they become an extension of the body.”

Kaklea has never worked with a fashion brand before, so working with Blazy and Bottega Veneta takes on a special significance. “It’s not a world I’m familiar with,” she said. “I’m basically dealing with it as if it were a stranger, which is what most of my performances are about. They’re about displacement, discovery and experimentation rather than narration or simple display. But despite coming from different worlds, working with Bottega felt as if we shared a common language expressing a similar radicalism.”

Not satisfied with this masterful display of art-meeting-fashion, Blazy rounded up the label’s presence at the Biennale launching a limited run of fifteen cabat intrecciato bags. Sold exclusively at Bottega Veneta’s Venice store, the bags are inspired by the colors and size of the famous analog typewriter Lettera 32, made by Italian company Olivetti in the ’50s. The typewriter had become a sort of a cult object for writers, apparently still used by devotees like Nick Cave and Pope Francis. To support the preservation of the historic Olivetti showroom in Venice, designed in the 1950s by Italian architect Carlo Scarpa, the label also made a donation to FAI (Fondo Ambiente Italiano).
VOGUE

Julianne Moore in a Matthieu Blazy custom piece at Cannes Film Festival.

KATE YOUNG

VIENI A VEDERE ("Come to See" the installation created for Bottega Veneta by Gaetano Pesce in the boutique on via Montenapoleone, from April 15th to 22nd)
Photography: Pierre Debusschere
Styling: Gaetano Pesce
Hair: Duffy
Make-up: Hiromi Ueda
Model: Mariacarla Boscono

vogue.it; instagram.com/p/Cq_FQeatRyu

VIENI A VEDERE ("Come to See" the installation created for Bottega Veneta by Gaetano Pesce in the boutique on via Montenapoleone, from April 15th to 22nd)
Photography: Pierre Debusschere
Styling: Gaetano Pesce
Hair: Duffy
Make-up: Hiromi Ueda
Model: Mariacarla Boscono

vogue.it; instagram.com/p/Cq_FQeatRyu
Buttega Vaginetta

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member