Model Casting S/S 2022

OMG! I only just saw Balmain, like did anyone mention Nadege, Milla & Carla yet? It's truly been a season of small, medium and major comebacks.

Bless Ashley Brokaw for giving us easily the most interesting castings, season after season... :angel:

Valentino's e-girl obsession is so weird. And their male model roster makes me want to projectile vomit. I.... just don't understand.....

The amount of newbies at PFW just within the first half is lovely to see, though a bit too much to keep up with, no? I'm still struggling to remember some girls who've walked 2-3 major shows. Still have a good 20 threads queued up to create when I have time on my hands.

If you love Ashley Brokaw I don't understand how you would projectile vomit at Valentino boys. They're literally copied from Brokaw's past and present shows.

These are a majority of the boys and their Brokaw shows

Yoesry Detre Prada SS22, Ann Demeulemeester SS22, Raf Simons SS22

Niks Gerbasevskis past Raf Simons, LOEWE, JW Anderson shows

Marvin Kivisalu Prada FW20 campaign and show

Craig Shimirimana Prada FW21, Raf Simons FW21 and SS22 and campaign FW21, Ann Demeulemeester SS22, We11done SS22

Roma Fironov Prada FW20 campaign and show

Maikls Mihelsons Raf Simons regular and SS22, past Prada shows and ecomm

Adrians Smats Prada SS21 campaign , Prada FW21 SS22, Raf Simons SS22

Lars Jammaers Raf Simons FW21 campaign and show SS22, Prada SS22

Jeremiah Berko Prada FW19 campaign, past JW Anderson show now a major DIOR boy

As for the other boys they are copied from other brands:

Djibril Ndiaye DIOR FW21 campaign

Jean Meyer DIOR FW21 campaign

The only original VALENTINO boy in my opinion is Ibrahima Alessio . He has done Couture as well. But because the last couture show happened together with Saint Laurent Venezia, Ibrahima had to forego the Valentino Couture .

Last edited:
If you love Ashley Brokaw I don't understand how you would projectile vomit at Valentino boys. They're literally copied from Brokaw's past and present shows.

These are a majority of the boys and their Brokaw shows
I've always had a greater appreciation for Brokaw's female model castings than male ones, to be quite frank; though in general, the major problem I have is that Valentino pieces aren't entirely curated for the audiences they aspire to reach with their model castings. When I think of your typical Valentino-under-PPP collection, I instantly expect sophistication and simplicity from the pieces (the biggest experimentation in his collections often lies in the color scheme). It seems almost mismatched to have them on models that clearly cater to a much younger target demographic than the pieces themselves would cater to. Then again, you very well could say the same for Dior, and their model castings, regardless of casting director, are bound to be all over the place.

I've always had a greater appreciation for Brokaw's female model castings than male ones, to be quite frank; though in general, the major problem I have is that Valentino pieces aren't entirely curated for the audiences they aspire to reach with their model castings. When I think of your typical Valentino-under-PPP collection, I instantly expect sophistication and simplicity from the pieces (the biggest experimentation in his collections often lies in the color scheme). It seems almost mismatched to have them on models that clearly cater to a much younger target demographic than the pieces themselves would cater to. Then again, you very well could say the same for Dior, and their model castings, regardless of casting director, are bound to be all over the place.

This problem of models vs clients is pretty much the whole state of shows right now or at least an overwhelming majority of it. To contest this point would be a waste xD.

Although, I would not say it (male model casting) is all over the place. Valentino has always used Prada/Brokaw models even when under Michelle Lee so to indicate that Pierpaolo never envisioned these pieces on guys that he has always casted is <i dont know the word for it> not true?. I'm sure with the couture shows he has an even bigger part in selecting the boys (or maybe he just doesn't?) and they still consist of top DIOR and Prada boys.

Only last year they switched over to AAMO casting, which their first season was a total mess as they totally picked freshed faces and (in my opinion) the casting missed the mark except for a two (male) faces namely Woosang Kim and Yura Nakano. DIOR picked Woosang up and has not walked Valentino after that initial show. After that, they stuck with the mainstream male models (which is better imo) and didn't try to add their own spin on casting hence that very Brokaw/Durkan-ish show (SS22) male model wise.

It seems almost mismatched to have them on models that clearly cater to a much younger target demographic than the pieces themselves would cater to.

Isn't this the whole modeling industry nowadays? It's not a matter of the brand or the gender. Looking at pictures from the 80s, 90s, 00s, and early 10s, it's fair to say there hasn't been an era in the modeling industry more obsessed with neoteny than the current one. This obsession with teen facial features / body types has been evolving nonstop since Kate Moss... there's not a single brand that is not part of this cliché, female or male. The mismatch is fair everywhere, most of the models representing each brand look NOTHING age-wise like the actual buyers, they all look like their sons and daughters.

Clients have always wanted to see a young idealization of a human showing off the pieces before they buy it. Models have always been expected to look young, but at least, during those past eras, most of them looked adult. Nowadays 95% are evidently underage or neotenic enough to remain looking underage as long as genetics allow.

Isn't this the whole modeling industry nowadays? It's not a matter of the brand or the gender. Looking at pictures from the 80s, 90s, 00s, and early 10s, it's fair to say there hasn't been an era in the modeling industry more obsessed with neoteny than the current one. This obsession with teen facial features / body types has been evolving nonstop since Kate Moss... there's not a single brand that is not part of this cliché, female or male. The mismatch is fair everywhere, most of the models representing each brand look NOTHING age-wise like the actual buyers, they all look like their sons and daughters.

Clients have always wanted to see a young idealization of a human showing off the pieces before they buy it. Models have always been expected to look young, but at least, during those past eras, most of them looked adult. Nowadays 95% are evidently underage or neotenic enough to remain looking underage as long as genetics allow.
I completely see your point. I was looking more along the realm of the average teenager - yes, quite a few of the Valentino boys (and girls, for that matter - not the majority, but a good portion) don’t strike me as appearing to be models at all than those who have the “elegant, expensive, etc.” (and yes, these are very subjective terms to use and it’s not my place to dictate what constitutes as such & what doesn’t) looks the bulk of other brands continue to look for, but it’s obviously valid in that every brand seeks young, fresh faces to enhance selling the fantasy they do.

I’ve unfortunately come to associate Valentino with castings that look as if they incorporate street-casting far more than they do, and while I support casting unknown faces in general, associating “unknown” with “unorthodox” comes off as distracting for Valentino. That isn’t to say the faces of theirs who have walked many shows elsewhere aren’t loved by Brokaw; that can be said for 99% of them, male and female. But I don’t see Mona Tougaard, for example, one of her long-time darlings… or even this season’s picks; Shantae Leslie or Cassady Smith as distracting from even their Valentino outfits. (If we’re talking men, Craig Shimirimana, Lars Jammaers & Adrians Smats would probably be the best examples).

I was expecting some memorable closing at Valentino HC nothing less than Billy Porter as a bride

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->