Most Overpriced Designer? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
apparently the substitute is better quality than real leather or something :lol: yeah right!

j10goi.jpg

I love Givenchy, but $1318.50? For a jersey sash belt? That's nearly as much as they are charging for the silk version of this print in a shirt, that has, you know, actual construction.

luisaviaroma.com

frank gehry is the most overpriced brand. i mean, those buildings are built with the same materials as every other building.

you must be kidding me. i'm not the biggest fan of frank gehry, but his projects are expensive to build. once curves are involved in the building process, the price will skyrocket. his buildings all look the same now, but he's the one who developed those designs - they are exclusive to him.

Who the hell even buys this kind of stuff? I can't imagine anyone who would pay $7,000 for a boring t-shirt.

you must be kidding me.

of course i'm kidding! :flower: i made a series of statements to make the point that the original work of truly creative people/companies -- although many times made with the selfsame materials of the less creative -- carry a higher price tag due to their exclusivity. we don't simply talk about the products of these people in terms of price: i argue it's a disservice to treat fashion any differently.

andy warhol is the most overpriced label. i mean, it's just paint and canvas.

frank gehry is the most overpriced brand. i mean, those buildings are built with the same materials as every other building.

also, maserati...i mean, $200k for a car when you can just get a honda for $12k? what's the point?

Who the hell even buys this kind of stuff? I can't imagine anyone who would pay $7,000 for a boring t-shirt.

people who pay several hundred thousand to catch a private plane for the same trip that would cost a fraction if flown commercially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chanel Definitely, In the recent issue of UK Vogue featured this dress

Chanel Spring 2010 RTW Starting at £36,800 (Without the belt) but like that makes any difference
00630m.jpg

style.com

The retails price is normally 200%-300% than the price wholesale price....
But The price is paying for all the prototypes, the toiles, the men who work behind the collection, all the times...blah blah blah.....:lol::lol::lol::innocent::innocent::innocent:

This Fendi coat is $300,000!! I forgot the exact name of the animal, but it is from Russia. Some kind of snow leopard, I'd presume.

vomw5l.jpg

style.com/

That coat is the only beautiful thing of that Fendi show but... 300.000$! :shock:

The Chanel dress Chanelcouture09 posted is gorgeous, without a doubt my favourite piece of that collection.^_^

I have to write an essay for my fashion class on Veblen and his theory of conspicuous consumption, and this thread is gold. Basically proves that some people really do buy things just to show they have money... I mean... $300,000 for a coat? It's amazing, but really.

^^interesting point fivehundred... the thing is that fendi coat is made of Lynx. Probably the rarest of furs, not necessarily the best in quality. Russian sable (believed to be the best) is about as expensive.
If you want to show people you have the money, don't expect them to recognise a lynx coat, as some people would believe it's cheap rabbit. I think that showers would rather go for something flashier than a "b&w dotted furry coat"

Abou the pricing, no matter how rare lynx may be, fendi must have some of the bulkiest gross margins on their furs. the raw materials are indeed expensive, and i think all their fur production takes place in the Rome Fendi Palazzo... but still, i dont think those two things can justify the price of a Rolls Royce, no?

The retails price is normally 200%-300% than the price wholesale price....
But The price is paying for all the prototypes, the toiles, the men who work behind the collection, all the times...blah blah blah.....:lol::lol::lol::innocent::innocent::innocent:

not to mention the set for the show (may that be a huge jacket, a bow, a farm, an iceberg...), the location and pristine design of the stores, the glasses of champagne you are offered when you shop, the freebies they send to celebrities, the 5 layers of packaging that come with the bag/shoe/dress, the 5234 rejected outfits and accessories that never made it to production, the pieces that nobody will ever buy but that make it nevertheless to production...

Chanel Spring 2010 RTW Starting at £36,800 (Without the belt) but like that makes any difference
style.com

:shock: I would have guessed the price was closer to a tenth of that.

style.com

I'm at a loss to understand :huh: I would have thought that price included both the belt and the model :unsure:

borjacapella;6851719 not to mention the set for the show (may that be a huge jacket said:
yes........I mean all those costs are including at the price of the garments...If u work in Fashion or studying fashion, sometimes u think it's reasonable to use that much money to buy those things hahaha :lol:

^^interesting point fivehundred... the thing is that fendi coat is made of Lynx. Probably the rarest of furs, not necessarily the best in quality. Russian sable (believed to be the best) is about as expensive.
If you want to show people you have the money, don't expect them to recognise a lynx coat, as some people would believe it's cheap rabbit. I think that showers would rather go for something flashier than a "b&w dotted furry coat"

Abou the pricing, no matter how rare lynx may be, fendi must have some of the bulkiest gross margins on their furs. the raw materials are indeed expensive, and i think all their fur production takes place in the Rome Fendi Palazzo... but still, i dont think those two things can justify the price of a Rolls Royce, no?

That's a good point that people probably won't even recognise that it's made of Lynx. I suppose you could then argue that people may still buy the coat to demonstrate conspicuous consumption - but that they only care about the opinions of those people knowledgeable enough to appreciate it. A class based thing, maybe?

anyway, back on topic.

The price of the set of the Chanel show for FW10.11 was ridiculous! I'm interested to know how much the faux fur pieces will cost in relation to their production costs...

This Balmain top is £10,775 on Net-A-Porter :shock:

net-a-porter.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"