Nike - The All-Things 'Nike Sneakers/Trainers' Thread

LolitaLuxe

Vision of Paradise
Reaction score
im so happy showstudio captured this :heart:

showstudio-Harri Peccinotti at work photographing the extraordinary exhibits in 'White Dunk: Evolution of an Icon', a Palais de Tokyo hosted exhibition of specially commissioned work by 25 Japanese artists, launched during this year's Paris Fashion Week. The artists include animators, illustrators, toy-makers, graphic designers, model-makers, and comic writers. Each were given the brief to respond to a fashion classic, the Nike 'Dunk' basketball trainer (in white). In American basketball towards the end of the 1970s a technique had emerged on the court popularly known as a 'slam dunk' - a spectacle of athleticism and showmanship. Trainer manufacturers and megabrand Nike began designing sports shoes they hoped would become synonymous with this phenomenon. Inspired by their already successful 'Air Jordan' and 'Air Force', Nike debuted the 'Dunk' in 1985. The Palais de Tokyo exhibition caught the imagination of fashion editor Susy Menkes who noted in her show report: 'Of all the many shoe presentations, nothing could quite beat Nike's exhibition of art installations by 25 Japanese creative talents challenged to use the iconic all-white Dunk sneaker as inspiration... that was proof that sneakers are now part of fashion's religion.' (IHT, 11/10/03). In this film and image project Peccinotti sets about shooting these artworks on dark backgrounds (in opposition to the white of the gallery walls) to bring a new contrast and animation to the myriad interpretations.

Untitled’ by Katsuya Terada

2.jpg

'Nike Goddess’ by Hajime Sorayama

4.jpg

‘Vampire UV’ by Yasushi Nirasawa

5.jpg

'Double Dunk' by Masakazu Katsura

7.jpg

* pandera...what are you thoughts?

Sneaker (Sneaker chic ) may be 'part of fashion' now et all but I never liked it being part of fashion. Leave it to the street. I hate the sneaker craze. :wacko:

As for these they looked kinda cool, but slightly predictable, but not entirely sure if it's worthy of getting a exhibition. :(

Thanks for this Lo.

love the photos and the article, thanks for posting Lolita :flower:

I absolutely adore the first pair. :heart:

Thanks very much for posting this, Lo. :flower:

the first pair is cool :flower: . i like the dunks but somehow its OVER.. i feel that once the entire wannabe cool nation wears them, they are over :unsure:
at least thats what it looks like on this side of thge planet :(

but great article. tnx :flower:

yeas-leyla they are quite poular here as well....but back to the expo--
what i think is weired is this japenese take . NIKE is this HUGE american corperate brand that is somehow fetishized. i would like to see an american tribute to this iconic brand. when i think nike i always think of there slogans : bo knows: and of course spike Lee's " DA SHOES " and hiphop, LL Cool J always wore the dunk shoe. I think its interesting how american hip hop changed sportswear all over the globe. with much help from adidas and nike. looking at these little anime models i feel lost, they dont capture anytype feeling one gets from a 'tribute' its cute but im just not an anime fan.

the dunk model/design hasnt evolved like the jordan, which is also interesting.

:woot: i just bought a pair adidas ALIFE attitude model- 200 dollars :D

Love this , I lvoe dunks even thought they deffinetlya re over, im so happy to see this I was so exited when i ehrd about this :heart:

Originally posted by LolitaLuxe@Oct 30th, 2003 - 2:39 pm
yeas-leyla they are quite poular here as well....but back to the expo--
what i think is weired is this japenese take . NIKE is this HUGE american corperate brand that is somehow fetishized. i would like to see an american tribute to this iconic brand. when i think nike i always think of there slogans : bo knows: and of course spike Lee's " DA SHOES " and hiphop, LL Cool J always wore the dunk shoe. I think its interesting how american hip hop changed sportswear all over the globe. with much help from adidas and nike. looking at these little anime models i feel lost, they dont capture anytype feeling one gets from a 'tribute' its cute but im just not an anime fan.

the dunk model/design hasnt evolved like the jordan, which is also interesting.

:woot: i just bought a pair adidas ALIFE attitude model- 200 dollars :D
some of the art was cool, but i just wish everyone would get off the dunk for a while. view all 25 artist's works here

i agree with what you say about feeling lost with the anime dolls. but i have never been to japan, so their take on it could be much different than yours and mine

saying the dunk has never evolved like the jordan has, is unfair. the dunk in itself is the product of evolution from all previous nike basketball sneakers. and the shoes following it are its evolutions.. it was rare that a shoe back then was given the chance to evolve(one that did - the air force). the reason the air jordan did, was because it was michael jordan's signature shoe. and as he further continued his basketball career, new models of the sneaker were produced.

you people that say 'the dunk is over' brings music to my ears as well as other shoe heads'. maybe now that you lot are through hi-jacking the sneaker, can the -people who appreciate it for its heritage rather than trendiness- start wearing it again..

:smile: thanks for posting , i know you know your stuff are are into this more so than any of us. thats why i mentioned you at the bottom :flower:

saying the dunk has never evolved like the jordan has, is unfair. the dunk in itself is the product of evolution from all previous nike basketball sneakers. and the shoes following it are its evolutions.. it was rare that a shoe back then was given the chance to evolve(one that did - the air force). the reason the air jordan did, was because it was michael jordan's signature shoe. and as he further continued his basketball career, new models of the sneaker were produced.

piont taken and understoood about jordan. but so many shoes are appriciated.... but as for the dunk ,why this particular shoe ? did it start selling agian out of the blue for nike to decide to reproduce them on a massive scale? supply and demand?? this is what i dont understand. there could have been a expo on several other models... but why this shoe?

i think the expo is cute, really fetish , has its moments, but at times is lost on me---- i would have liked to see a larger range of perspectives. i mean the shoes are everywhere, i wont deny that, but would you distinguish it as a trend or classic? and for a musuem to present a expo on an already tired trend is a bit troubling. i mean MOMA isnt going to gather 25 artists to to tribute the newsboy hat

Originally posted by pandera@Oct 30th, 2003 - 8:41 pm

you people that say 'the dunk is over' brings music to my ears as well as other shoe heads'. maybe now that you lot are through hi-jacking the sneaker, can the -people who appreciate it for its heritage rather than trendiness- start wearing it again..
uhm thats bull sh*t, I love tehd unk, btu when I see and hear about it every wear I feel like it is deffinetly over.

Originally posted by pandera@Oct 31st, 2003 - 5:41 am

thats exactly what i would like to do, if only they stop being so commercial..
it became too popular too quick IMO :cry:

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Oct 30th, 2003 - 11:56 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Oct 30th, 2003 - 11:56 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-pandera@Oct 30th, 2003 - 8:41 pm

uhm thats bull sh*t, I love tehd unk, btu when I see and hear about it every wear I feel like it is deffinetly over. [/b][/quote]
tell me why you loved the dunk then? (did you know what it it was before it started being retroed in mass quantities in '98?)
no matter how far 'out' it gets it will never go away. that is the beauty of these cc icons.

Originally posted by Spacemiu+Oct 30th, 2003 - 9:56 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Oct 30th, 2003 - 9:56 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-pandera@Oct 30th, 2003 - 8:41 pm

uhm thats bull sh*t, I love tehd unk, btu when I see and hear about it every wear I feel like it is deffinetly over.[/b][/quote]
* please curb the swearing, tfs rules :blush:

he has a point and he can own it. I respect his opinion because I know for a fact he is a hardcore true enthusiast / collector. I know a lot of you dont know that but thats why i specificly asked for his opinion. I never said it was "over" popular? sure. everywhere? there is no denying. its little annoying too, but OVER I personally i dont think so.Its a harsh word and I dont know whats coming up, or what they will reisssue next--- look at converse chuck taylors, adidas shell toe....vans checkered slip on.....those are in everyone's closet- because they are classics. my mother even has a pair of chuck taylor's &shelltoe !! but i still wear it. whether they are over or not.Those are good examples of classics. so maybe the dunk is/will be considered as such ..- you think its oh so out of style- fine. I like the dunk, it is one of my favorites. PDT, playing homage to a dead trend? im troubled with that. late? maybe...im not one to tell.

of course we all have our opinions but what makes his particularly wrong or BS-and yours right?

how many pairs do you own ,spacemiu? how long have you been collecting? do you at all?

i wouldnt be so condescending and a bit rude towards those who are big on this. understand many people take this seriously.

* edit- i just read a pretty good review from a different source, and can now look at it with more understanding- i didnt catch that Yuji Oniki 's piece was actually made up of pieces of the shoe !! reading a review from someone who knows the shoe inside out gives me more understanding

i still like it too even though i am seeing more by the day... but as you said LO: its a CLASSIC already :heart:

Originally posted by LolitaLuxe@Oct 31st, 2003 - 11:11 am

how many pairs do you own ,spacemiu? how long have you been collecting? do you at all?

i wouldnt be so condescending and a bit rude towards those who are big on this. understand many people take this seriously. [/color]
I doutn think ti matters haow many pairs of sheos I own, and I think that question is quite imature and snoby. :rolleyes:

I do not think iam beening rude or condesending , i doutn enjoy people puting down my opinion becuas they have an ego about a pair of shoes.

thankyou for your understanding lolita and the flattering remark.

I do not think iam beening rude or condesending , i doutn enjoy people puting down my opinion becuas they have an ego about a pair of shoes.

spacemiu - i ask that you please read my last comment in the reply i made. if you do so you will see that i was not singleing out one specific person, and certainly was not putting down anyone's opinion. i simply stated that the 'its over' statement is refreshing for the shoe heads.. (most often said by posers)

I know you are not singling out a specific person, yet you are still makeing a remark to a commet that that i as well as otehr people made and that remark ofended me , especially seeing as I feel you dount know any thing about me or other people saying this.

:blush:

Nike has just invented the perfect commuter shoe: the City Knife. And they aren’t just perfectly portable—they’re fashionable too! Nike’s soft sneaker is designed to fold up into half its original size to fit more easily into your purse than a Prada wallet. Plus: the sleek style appeals to even the most sophisticated shoe-lover, and the City Knife comes in so many colors, the shoes will coordinate with any ensemble.

PRICE: $90

Opinions? :flower:

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef