Patricia Velasquez

FLECHAgrande.gif

Being unable to pay for utilities was not only her family's concern. She worried too. She was a child that, in spite of being raised in France, Mexico and Venezuela, always knew the meaning of the word hardship. A descendent of the Wayuú tribe, on her mother's side, Patricia Velásquez wrote her name in the world's book of stars simply out of necessity and for no other reason.

That situation led her to put on high heels and take part in beauty pageants; strut on the catwalks of Milan, Madrid, Paris and Nueva York, and appear in major films such as The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. The only thing she initially wanted was to have $30 to pay for a month of utilities. Born with an altruistic heart, she has devoted her efforts to be the voice of her tribe through the Wayuú Tayá Foundation.

"From a very young age, I have taken my country to heart. When you are young and deal with hardships, such as not having running water, you are marked for life. I would have never had the success I have had so far if I were not from Venezuela or a member of the Wayuú; my existence would be different. I owe it all to Venezuela", explains Patricia.

How does it feel to be a Venezuelan with universal appeal?

It is an honor! A common trait of Venezuelans is the general need for approval by our own community. To be esteemed by my own people is a great honor.

What is your biggest achievement for the Wayuú Tayá Foundation?

The most important aspect, from an external standpoint, is the trust earned from your peers and the notion that our efforts are true. In New York, during our events, people see where the money they have donated has gone and how it has been invested. Also, with regard to the indigenous community, we have reinforced their self-confidence, stressing the fact that through hard work one can make progress. I remember at the very beginning people would extend their arms out waiting for a handout. But now nobody just sits there expecting charity. We are now on the same page.

Are you done with modeling?

Nowadays, to be honest, I choose my work more wisely because I treasure my time at home and with my beloved ones. But I really love acting. It is my life, my work, the subject of my studies, though I am not desperately seeking to become a famous actress. I am not the type of person that is hungry for fame. I do the work I find interesting and the one in which I am most comfortable. The foundation takes up a large chunk of my time. I am currently working on a major event to be held on the 5th of June, and we will soon celebrate our fifth anniversary. I am also focusing on my cosmetics line; I have been working on that for several years, and it is nearly ready. The truth is that I get bored easily.

How would you describe your incursion in the big screen?

I got into movies in a more organic fashion. I did some films, but it is not like I am doing the big-budget films currently being produced. I have simply chosen to do it that way.

Do you think that all your dreams have already come true?

No? not at all (laughs). Not even 10%. There is still a long way to go, not only in a professional sense aspect, but also with regard to other things that interest me.

eluniversal

I think she is basically stating that she doesn't seek out to be involved in the blockbuster movies. Like with The Mummy, we all know it turned out to be a hit movie, but she might not of known that when accepting the part ^_^
But I do like that she isn't trying to become famous, she just wants to help her people :blush:

Thanks for posting that. I remember watching it on YT a few weeks back. Shame she didn't win :/ She was the only drop dead gorgeous one there...in my honest opinion :P

:woot: Thank you. I've never seen those before. Do you know when they were taken? She looks quite young in those pictures.

Fidel (1999)

capped by me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->