Post a Totally Random Moment From Fashion History...

rei kawakubo had some fun.

View attachment 1262776
youtubescreenshot
I don’t know if this is common knowledge/has been discussed, but I remember a Showstudio interview with Nick Knight where he mentioned meeting Rei in the 80s and said she was very kind and spoke perfect English. He was genuinely caught off guard when he crossed paths with her again a few years later and saw that she was now only communicating via interpreter…

^ Amazing. It’s a rare level of luxury, like getting a driver even though you can drive. If it was up to me (and my employer of course 🤣), I would have an interpreter so I don’t have to ever speak English again, especially after 9 pm, it’s pure torture.

I don’t know if this is common knowledge/has been discussed, but I remember a Showstudio interview with Nick Knight where he mentioned meeting Rei in the 80s and said she was very kind and spoke perfect English. He was genuinely caught off guard when he crossed paths with her again a few years later and saw that she was now only communicating via interpreter…
She played in everybody’s face like Azzedine who was surrounded by people from UK and US but « couldn’t » pronounce one word of English lol

This reminds of a video (I think it's Tim Blanks) of Yves & Loulou being interviewed after a show in the mid-90s and Yves seemed to pretend to not know English and Loulou is describing the collection, but you can tell he's like... sort of judging the way she's describing it in English. 🤭

I do that at work all the time, just listening for cadence and fluctuations in sentences and respectively nodding or saying "yes" "okay" "wow" depending on the tones lol

as you know long ago it was not like mistakes are not allowed. but she experienced some crisis in around 1993, due to carelessness or ignorance. maybe she has been compelled to be very careful since then.

al least the past few decades of comme were the history of her suffering. you hardly see her smile. tension-filled strict shows where only necessity is welcomed. but in those days she let there be contingency thriving.
in that homme plus spring 1990 show, she was not able to move forward because of the tall wall of male models a bit too excited in the finale. and when she managed to appear like "excuse me, I'm afraid I have to squeeze through here", she seemed to smile shyly. thinking about her not even bowing any more, that can be one of the good old moments.

I would like to share my own fashion moment.

That time that Jessica Stam or maybe a gay intern was running her Instagram and followed me and liked my page of thirst traps.
The video of my chest that she liked. Lol

This was 2019. She eventually unfollowed but lol.
IMG_5359.jpeg
IMG_2134.jpeg

Carmen Kass' 1999 J'adore ad will be embedded in my mind forever since I first ever saw it. Same as her Narciso Rodriguez fragrance ads (with Raquel following closely). May not necessarily be a random moment but something about it stuck and really is part of fashion history for me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->