Post a Totally Random Moment From Fashion History...

That time (pre-2010) when street style blogs were legit portraits of what interesting people who worked in fashion chose to wear out of their own wardrobes that day and not head to toe advertorial vomit dressing people in full runway looks

(pic of Daul Kim from Facehunter)
IMG_2398Daul.jpg

Gianni Versace's showdown with Carolyn Murphy at his Atelier Versace Haute Couture FW 1996 show. According to Carolyn:
"I was the bride of the couture show back in the '90s, and there were two shows, and on the second show the seamstress had changed out, and she didn’t know to leave the front pinned up a little because he wanted me going fast down the runway. This is why I have dreams about getting yelled at. I have dreams about not showing up, or getting there too late when my look is supposed to go out and I’m not there…. But in real life, yes, I got yelled at, because that seamstress had taken out that pin in the front, so I did a little bit of a stumble, a tiny little bit. Didn’t fall, very graceful about it, and I was walking back, you know, it was fine, everybody’s clapping — woo! And I’m walking back toward him because he’s on the runway, and he’s like, 'f*ck you, b*tch! f*ck you! You ruined my show! f*ck you!' "And I looked to him, and I go, 'Well, f*ck you, too! 'And I said it in an accent. And I turned around and I walked off! I walked off the stage. So the other girls were kind of standing there — Linda, and there were other girls, like Carla [Bruni]…and so then, I go and I rip everything off, and I was like, 'Oh, my God, what’s wrong with you people?"

Refinery29/My archives

And later Gianni insulted Karen Elson, who Donatella picked to model a wedding dress in his Atelier Versace Fall/Winter 1997 show. “Gianni never liked [Elson],” the author Deborah Ball wrote in a 2010 book, House of Versace: The Untold Story of Genius, Murder, and Survival. “‘Why are you so pale?’ he demanded of Elson, in Italian. The British girl looked blankly at him. ‘Why don’t you go get some sun?’” Ultimately later, he replaced her with Naomi Campbell.
karen-versace-1.jpeg
anothermag.com

Adding to when pop culture and fashion combine, I loved when all the top models of the 90s had cameos in music videos or film. There’s obv a plethora of examples but these are some of my favorites

Alek Wek in Busta Rhymes video (0.44)

Tyson Beckford in Mia X video throughout

Beverly Peele and Cynthia Bailey in Heavy D video throughout

Fashion can chew you up and spit you out. I worked with a brilliant designer when I was at Marni – Paulo Melim Andersson. I adored him. He was challenging, but highly intelligent. Fragile, like a lot of creative people. We had our ups and downs, but he stayed with us for seven years. Then Chloé came along. The CEO at the time asked my advice about Paulo and I told him, ‘Paulo is great, but you have to know that he won’t turn the brand around for you in a season or even two. You’ve got to give him time, and surround him by the right people.’ ‘Absolutely, absolutely,’ he said. ‘I’ll do that.’ Three seasons later Paulo was out. They didn’t give him time, and he never got his people. I felt so sad for Paulo. If you want good results, you have to support people. You don’t get the best out of anyone by making them feel insecure or nervous. Ultimately, that way of treating people is only about control. If you make someone feel nervous, you’ve got them. But in my view, you’ve got them in the wrong way. You’ve got them in a state of anxiety. I’m thinking of one fashion editor in particular: it’s his modus operandi. He will wrong-foot you and wrong-foot you, and have everyone going, ‘sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.’

Lucinda Chambers talking about Paulo in her VESTOJ interview

^^
He was really good for Chloe.
The ultimate irony was that in his last seasons, he offered 1 IT bag: The Paraty and 1 It shoe: The Suzanna boots. Commercial hits!

Merci Lola I thought Suzanne Boots was from Hannah MacGibbon! But it was bascially a Versace design right? :doh:

^^
He was really good for Chloe.
The ultimate irony was that in his last seasons, he offered 1 IT bag: The Paraty and 1 It shoe: The Suzanna boots. Commercial hits!
I agree. I liked Paulo. I didn’t know it was him who did the Suzanna 😯, they aren’t very “him”.

I agree. I liked Paulo. I didn’t know it was him who did the Suzanna 😯, they aren’t very “him”.
Proof that when you are very talented, you can challenge yourself and your aesthetic. His first two collections were very Marni (obviously) but he went more into the work of Karl in his last 2. In a way it’s ironic he copied Versace at Chloe, knowing that Karl’s was Gianni’s favorite designer.

I still think his last collection is one of the best Chloe collection ever.

But his story is the usual one of uncourageous and delusional CEOs.

Proof that when you are very talented, you can challenge yourself and your aesthetic. His first two collections were very Marni (obviously) but he went more into the work of Karl in his last 2. In a way it’s ironic he copied Versace at Chloe, knowing that Karl’s was Gianni’s favorite designer.

I still think his last collection is one of the best Chloe collection ever.

But his story is the usual one of uncourageous and delusional CEOs.
Gosh, I loved that collection. It was so well designed and so romantic. The colors, the hair, the make-up, the little sheer dresses...

^
Milla Jovovich, who played the lead role, was also a popular fashion model. She worked for Versace, Miu Miu, Fendi, Anna Molinari, Missoni, Anna Sui, Jean-Paul Gaultier and other big designers.
Milla walking for Istante by Versace SS 1997:

My archives

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->