Sabato De Sarno - Designer, Creative Director of Gucci

Seems kinda weird to halt and play safe when you had your biggest money making man? I supposed since they've climbed so high they don't want to fall too hard so they had to do something.

He looks like that Daniel Lee/Matthieu Blazy contemporary-artsy guy aesthetic based on insta. I hope this doesn't turn into another Phoebe Philo derivative brand.

well, he's an industry veteran and worked at some fairly large brands before - I'll keep an open mind about his Gucci, hope he does well.

I'm also confused by his instagram. It feels very tumblr-outdated and also very random? I would have cleaned out the crap from my feed before going public with my profile (to repost a million stories congratulating me on the news). But let's see, my mother always said that the best hair dressers are those with the worst-looking haircuts.

hopefully that means he spends less time on ig/tiktok and more on actual design.

well, he's an industry veteran and worked at some fairly large brands before - I'll keep an open mind about his Gucci, hope he does well.
I hope he does well do, Gucci is a heavy crown. It's a very large company, they could have split the creative direction between womens and menswear, like their main competitors Dior, LV and Hermès do, if they really wanted a special focus on menswear. It releases pressure on the CDs, they don't have to be successful or innovative in BOTH womenswear and menswear, which frankly are practically two very different markets.

^that I agree on - it's a very heavy crown, and a big responsibility to take on. And asking for a second wind on AM's early momentum at the head of Gucci, is, well, asking a lot.

I do think a lot of brands would be better served by appointing separate menswear and womenswear creative heads, but Gucci seems to have always combined the two positions, anyway I hope it works out.

Gucci was lucky they discovered a designer with a point of view so particular as Alessandro Michele, who managed to create a universe so articulate it could be applied to all aspects of the Gucci brand narrative - While it was never that was never something I personally related towards, the success of his Gucci attested it had tremendous resonance with other people. The job for this new guy seems impossible to be honest - Keep the success going while at the same time making the brand interesting again for the more traditional luxury customer. That would be a job normally calling for one of the most seasoned artistic directors out there right now, such as Nicolas Ghesquiere or Hedi Slimane, who have an existing following but also a proof record of having a reach way beyond their die hard fans.

That being said, I am highly doubting a designer who is new to handling the reigns of a brand (especially of this size) has the chops to make such a brief happen.

Gucci was lucky they discovered a designer with a point of view so particular as Alessandro Michele, who managed to create a universe so articulate it could be applied to all aspects of the Gucci brand narrative - While it was never that was never something I personally related towards, the success of his Gucci attested it had tremendous resonance with other people. The job for this new guy seems impossible to be honest - Keep the success going while at the same time making the brand interesting again for the more traditional luxury customer. That would be a job normally calling for one of the most seasoned artistic directors out there right now, such as Nicolas Ghesquiere or Hedi Slimane, who have an existing following but also a proof record of having a reach way beyond their die hard fans.

That's the thing, Gucci got very, very lucky in having not one but two creative renassainces within two decades that took it to the top critically and commercially both times, both with aesthetics so different from each other and from the founding era of the house that they basically created fresh sets of house codes. Asking for a third so soon after the second is just....a hell of a lot!

That's the thing, Gucci got very, very lucky in having not one but two creative renassainces within two decades that took it to the top critically and commercially both times, both with aesthetics so different from each other and from the founding era of the house that they basically created fresh sets of house codes. Asking for a third so soon after the second is just....a hell of a lot!

Added to that having a designer like Frida Giannini in between who can be widely credited to the success of leather goods not only during Tom Ford's Gucci era, but also Fendi, if I remember correctly (?). Considering Gucci is a leather goods house first and foremost, it seems as if the design department of these goods is staying in place under the new guy, but it will keep the demands in place that he will have to come up with a distinct point of view of his own fast to fill the gap left behind by Alessandro Michele. I am curious if he has such a vision but wouldn't be unhappy if Kering and the rest of the industry received a waking call that infinite growth is not a sustainable business strategy and it will fail.

Q4 figures are going to be made public in February, so it might not be a bad idea for them to make this announcement now, so they have a stronger narrative about the path forward. In other words, if they need some good news and the appearance of coming stability, this could be that.

You are right, could be that...is a valid reason actually

So now he is verified on IG and 30.9k followers and rising lol...the feb show will be exactly like the men's one and then wait until septepmber....imagine the pressure he is under...

I am prepared to be surprised.

I've gone back and looked through the collections he was responsible for as fashion director and he absolutely is talented as well as demonstrates a very succinct and uncluttered style.

There was an interesting comment in the WWD article with industry reactions. It suggests that there's a lot more he has to offer besides what he's displayed at Valentino and that Piccioli might be a stifling influence. I guess Valentino is not doing so well.

Everyone I know who has had any kind of interaction with him really like him only say glowing thing.

Not only will Gucci be interesting to look at come September but also Valentino. I wouldn't be surprised if Piccioli is on his way out soon.

"uncluttered" sounds like it could be a departure from Alessandro's Gucci, at any rate a fresh direction. The part about it sounding like he's well liked in his workplace is also promising, it's always a positive.

And Pierpaolo Piccioli has been heading Valentino for 15 years now? 7 of them on his own without MGC. That's a strong run, and quite the feat especially in these days of "creative director revolving doors" at some big brands.

Gucci’s New Creative Director: The Reaction
Sabato De Sarno was named on Saturday and joins the Italian brand from Valentino.

By LUISA ZARGANI
JANUARY 28, 2023, 12:22PM

MILAN — Is Gucci set for yet another textbook reinvention?

Time will tell, but on Saturday morning, Gucci and parent company Kering took the industry by surprise, naming Sabato De Sarno the Italian brand’s new creative director. His first show for the brand will bow in September.

His name may not ring a bell to those outside the inner fashion circle and he was never rumored to be in the run to succeed Alessandro Michele, who exited last November, but he joins from Valentino.

Raised in Naples, Italy, and based in Rome, he began his career at Prada in 2005, moving to Dolce & Gabbana, before joining Valentino in 2009, where he held positions of increasing responsibility, finally being appointed fashion director overseeing both men’s and women’s collections.

“He has a lot of experience in menswear and a deep knowledge of knitwear. Sabato has a very detailed and precise hand, and I didn’t get the impression he is a fashionista. He is very concrete, with an eye also on commercial matters. He is balanced and tenacious, very determined and with very clear and structured working procedures,” said a luxury goods talent recruiter, who requested anonymity. With the decision to tap De Sarno, “it seems Gucci wants to radically change skin. The news will likely lead to major changes in the design office. I wonder if this is a transitional phase.”

This was a theory of several sources, who wondered about the magnitude of the job offered to De Sarno, at a brand that last year reached sales of 9.73 billion euros.

It is understood that François-Henri Pinault, chairman and chief executive officer of Kering, is looking to elevate the luxury quotient of Gucci. Sources said Pinault is considering a more structured organization that is headed by a creative director, but one that does not hinge around a star persona. Instead, the creative director would supervise key designers overseeing the different categories, from beauty to fashion to jewelry.

One single designer in charge is no longer considered viable for Gucci to further grow — especially a hands-on creative director like Alessandro Michele was known to be.

No matter, the general consensus from sources who spoke to WWD on Saturday was that De Sarno is very talented — and a likeable person to boot.

His expertise in menswear is in line with Gucci’s need to build up that category, said one luxury goods analyst, who remarked that De Sarno is the designer responsible for conceiving the VLTN logo at Valentino. “He can build desire for the brand but is not oblivious to merchandising,” the source said.

De Sarno started in menswear but his purview expanded to womenswear with the spring 2020 collection. “There’s no question about his talent, he was Pierpaolo’s [Piccioli’s] right arm, and has been growing his range at Valentino,” said another Milan-based source.

One market source said that Gucci CEO Marco Bizzarri’s decision “shows he is very skilled at finding talent and understanding people’s potential. Had I not known Sabato, I would have said such a bold choice was a suicide, but knowing him very well, I believe this is another successful move by Bizzarri. Sabato has a comprehensive vision. A creative director does not only design the collections but must have a vision on so many levels, be a good planner, very creative and very organized and Sabato is all this.”

In 2015, Bizzarri famously promoted Michele, who was also a second in command and not a household name, reinventing Gucci with his gender-fluid, inclusive and romantic spirit. He had joined the Gucci design studio in 2002 following a stint as senior accessories designer at Fendi. His predecessor, Frida Giannini, brought him to Gucci and he was named her associate in 2011. In 2014, he took on the additional responsibility of creative director of Richard Ginori, the porcelain brand acquired by Gucci in 2013.

In their report on Saturday, Bernstein analysts Luca Solca, Renny Shao and Clementine Flinois saluted Kering’s decision and were reassured, since naming a new creative director was “a key ingredient to make this call work,” rating group shares as Outperform.

According to their industry contacts, they wrote that De Sarno is believed to have “the required personality, ambition and drive to fill his new, highly prestigious role. The eyes of the world will be on him to see if he also has the required creative genius. We are reassured by remarks about De Sarno’s profile: he will have to bear the pressure and find the courage to express an original and compelling view of what Gucci can be.”

The report, however, urged De Sarno to be brave and have a strong point of view, stating that “bringing Gucci center stage and making it more timeless can only be done if Gucci makes at the same time a strong statement, attracting global consumers back to its stores. Gucci has to be over the top in order to thrive, the same as zebras have to run. Zebras who convince themselves they can metamorphose into lions and behave as such would not face a bright future. Said more clearly, a watered-down Gucci — as it has been perceived in Milan during the recent menswear fashion week, with utterly negative media and industry peer reviews — would continue to lose altitude and do little to unlock a better valuation for the Kering shares.”

They also kept an open mind about De Sarno’s recent work. “We don’t think much of the fact that Valentino hasn’t been at the top of its form in recent times. Judging Sabato De Sarno on the recent fortunes of Valentino would be as accurate as judging Alessandro Michele on the-then fortunes of Gucci. De Sarno has been working in the team of [Pierpaolo] Piccioli, the same as Michele was working in the team of Frida Giannini. Noblesse oblige, it is the head of the creative department who carries responsibility and calls the shots. We will see how well Sabato De Sarno can do that.”

Jefferies analysts Flavio Cereda, Kathryn Parker and Bhumi Kanabar in their report characterized the choice of revealing the name of the new designer on Saturday “odd perhaps but at least ahead of the FY print set for Feb. 15, and this may well have swung timing.”

They believe this is “another bold choice that may work well again” for Kering, but “it’s not straightforward at this time.” The announcement offers “little insight into what next.”

Among the challenges flagged is that “the decision to remain with a single creative head at a house the size of Gucci is a bold one,” even more so because De Sarno is not a Gucci insider, was not in a similar position before, and follows a designer as influential as Michele.

The analysts underscore De Sarno’s “strong reputation for organization, discipline and a solid track record in ready-to-wear,” which “may help address the issue of Gucci’s strong gender-fluid aesthetic that no longer works as well as it did,” but note that the designer appears to have “no real expertise in leather goods and accessories, which is the one area Gucci must fire up again to initiate a trend reversal.”

Another issue is that De Sarno’s impact will not be felt until full year 2024, “a long time as the market tries to understand Gucci’s new direction under a name not yet well known (with limited, so far at least, social media presence).” In conclusion, the degree of change is not clear, stated the report.

“In our view, Gucci does need another ‘revolution’ but rather a form of ‘aggressive evolution’ with a shift in the apparel aesthetic (De Sarno could work well here) which would drive a more commercial product and help elevate what we consider to be a superior leather goods offering.…De Sarno’s profile is not likely to move the dial much today, but the announcement is welcome.”

De Sarno — who will start in his new position as soon as he will have completed all his obligations in his current role, said Gucci in a statement — will report to Bizzarri.

“Having worked with a number of Italy’s most renowned luxury fashion houses, he brings with him a vast and relevant experience,” Bizzarri said of De Sarno on Saturday. “I am certain that through Sabato’s deep understanding and appreciation for Gucci’s unique legacy, he will lead our creative teams with a distinctive vision that will help write this exciting next chapter, reinforcing the house’s fashion authority while capitalizing on its rich heritage.”

As reported, on the sidelines of the men’s show earlier this month, designed by the in-house team, Pinault told WWD Bizzarri would stay in place and lead the brand in the post-Alessandro Michele period. Rumors were circulating that Saint Laurent CEO Francesca Bellettini was on her way to Gucci.

“One hundred and two years after Guccio Gucci opened his first store in Florence, Gucci remains one of the most iconic, prominent and influential luxury houses in the world,” Pinault said. “With Sabato De Sarno at the creative helm, we are confident that the house will continue both to influence fashion and culture through highly desirable products and collections, and to bring a singular and contemporary perspective to modern luxury.”

For his part, De Sarno stated that he was “deeply honored to take on the role” and “proud to join a house with such an extraordinary history and heritage, that over the years has been able to welcome and cherish values I believe in. I am touched and excited to contribute my creative vision for the brand.”

According to WWD sources, strong disagreements over the future of the brand caused a rift between Michele and Bizzarri, who with Pinault had urged Michele to initiate a strong design shift, a change of pace and a further elevation of the brand toward a true luxury positioning.

Again, it's very smart of Kering hire a designer with a menswear focus, giving that Michele's fluid aesthetic chased away that clientele. His down-to-earth touch seemed to be what was behind Piccioli's best collections at Valentino (2018 - 2020), before the man became obsessed with "inclusivity and diversity". I just hope they get a strong accessory design director behind him, so his vision can be fully supported.

As for Valentino, I congratulate Piccioli on almost 15 years at the helm, but I doubt that he has anything to offer the house anymore. Maybe hiring a separate creative director for the ready-to-wear division might give Valentino the proverbial jolt up the coochie it needs, along with cleaning out the entirety of Valentino's women's footwear team.

^yeah, I remember reports from 2015-16 saying Gucci's RTW sold really well/had a spike in sales that year, but I wonder what the numbers were like on the menswear side. Well, they took a risk with AM and it paid off for a while, this sounds like potentially less of a risk. But I do hope Kering adjusts their growth expectations, especially with a potential recession looming.

Charlotte De Lapparent is now the head of communication of Gucci in France. She was previously at Hermès.

Kering is putting all its efforts into the new era of Gucci. I think we can expect a 180 departure from the AM era from Sabato when his campaign debuted.

In a way, I think this strategy can work for Gucci considering that they and Hermès do have the same beginning.

Charlotte De Lapparent is now the head of communication of Gucci in France. She was previously at Hermès.

Kering is putting all its efforts into the new era of Gucci. I think we can expect a 180 departure from the AM era from Sabato when his campaign debuted.

In a way, I think this strategy can work for Gucci considering that they and Hermès do have the same beginning.

They have started to implement a more conservative aesthetic in the windows (even with Michele's collections); they chose his most generic looking clothes with very classic bags. Even the SS campaign in magazines have been replaced by this dead-looking Dakota Johnson Jackie O campaign.

I could totally imagine what is going on inside one of their biggest outlet stores - The Mall Firenze - full of crazy clothes by Michele....How long will they take to sell out all products by AM? In 2016 I even saw a Gucci baguette by Tom Ford from 2004 FW collection there....

I could totally imagine what is going on inside one of their biggest outlet stores - The Mall Firenze - full of crazy clothes by Michele....How long will they take to sell out all products by AM? In 2016 I even saw a Gucci baguette by Tom Ford from 2004 FW collection there....
I just was in Venice for the carnivale this week-end, and Ferragamo and Gucci are next door to each other. They both had the almost same dress in the windows, an all-white sweater dress with a white belt incorporated, they were practically interchangeable.

Men, men everywhere. I'm so bored.

not a big fan of valentino accessories but they delivered some stunning pieces on the runway over the years. Mix that with Gucci enormous ressources, great archives and very talented artisans, i feel like sabato can do a great job!!! and his insta is not that bad honestly, id rather see few art pictures on a fashion designer profile than weekly yacht trips around sardinia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alliexcx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->