Pieter Mulier - Designer, Creative Director of Alaïa

Alaia literally, literally released sneakers when he was alive and they have a line of sneakers… So what’s the point?

They want some quick money? Re-release the fragrance line with some heavy marketing…

I can see them coming with using the Tati collaboration to create a link with it…

Such a pity.

Do I care for a sneaker collab? No. Is this surprising? Not entirely.

One of Alaïa's most recognisable collections to many is the TATI one, so it isn't that out of sorts. However, that collaboration was (and still is) a perfect example at making the high/low work and this Superga one isn't it.

Can we also just move on from sneakers being the only collaborative venture/product please. It's so over saturated at this point that we all need a break.

I get it, collaboration is the game everybody has to play right now, but please have some respect for the man and put some work into it. Don't just present us with a lazy cash grab like this.

I wonder what Alaïa's inner circle thoughts are about this whole collaboration thing. Especially Christoph von Weyh, we need him to pull a "Pierre Bergé" and put Pieter into his place.

I swear it's gonna break my heart if I ever see Alaïa x Supreme.

Alaïa is Richemont-owned now. And Richemont is in despair after that awful YNAP deal. Though Christoph is the VP of the Foundation, I doubt he has any words on the corporate side.

Re this collab, I fail to find what Alaïa brings to the Superga design, this trend should have died with the Prada x Adidas superstars a couple of years ago.

Alaïa is Richemont-owned now. And Richemont is in despair after that awful YNAP deal. Though Christoph is the VP of the Foundation, I doubt he has any words on the corporate side.

Re this collab, I fail to find what Alaïa brings to the Superga design, this trend should have died with the Prada x Adidas superstars a couple of years ago.
This trend should have NEVER existed in the first place.

I get it, collaboration is the game everybody has to play right now, but please have some respect for the man and put some work into it. Don't just present us with a lazy cash grab like this.

I wonder what Alaïa's inner circle thoughts are about this whole collaboration thing. Especially Christoph von Weyh, we need him to pull a "Pierre Bergé" and put Pieter into his place.

I swear it's gonna break my heart if I ever see Alaïa x Supreme.
Christoph is too kind in the first place. While the people in the foundation (I think Carla Sozzani and Olivier Saillard are also part of that) don’t have a say in the corporate side, they have a power of influence. They have Naomi on their side who truly has a power of influence…
The problem here is the corporate and their weird ideas.

Alaia was friend with so many artists that they could have had the opportunity to do something interesting or more in tune with the house…

I am not sure if this is the right place for this note, but, I've found Alaia's fashion runway films always as one of the bests. I truly like the craftsmanship feel they have:

Is there other runway films that you found inspiring (e.g. Gaspard Noe / Saint Laurent - Summer of 21)?

Is there a better place in this forum to brainstorm this?

not sure what the fuss is about regarding these collab sneakers; they're $500 and per the description they contain all the key Alaïa details: double A stitches, perforated eyelets; co-branded satin label; leather insole.

⚰️

I am not sure if this is the right place for this note, but, I've found Alaia's fashion runway films always as one of the bests. I truly like the craftsmanship feel they have:

Is there other runway films that you found inspiring (e.g. Gaspard Noe / Saint Laurent - Summer of 21)?

Is there a better place in this forum to brainstorm this?

My favourite runway cinematography:
Mulier's Alaia
Miu Miu Spring'21
YSL pandemic shows and their Morocco show in July
I was considering making a thread for runway cinematography and fashion film, but I don't know where to put it on the forum (and I'm worried that it would be too weird).

These costumes were designed for PIT, Bobbi Jene Smith and Or Schraiber's first creation for l'Opéra de Paris back presented in March.

LD_BOBBI_JENE_727x908_1.jpg

LD_BOBBI_JENE_727x908_2.jpg

LD_BOBBI_JENE_1136x909_3.jpg

Source: Alaia

^^^Gorgeous. Very 90s Donna Karan.

Pieter really needs to rein back his desperate bid to be the refined, intellectual fashion designer with his bid to the arts. The costumes looked so… deflated; more like unwanted plastic bags that cling to you on a windy day rather than enhancing, elevating and moving as one with the dancer. He needs to learn a thing or ten from when Calvin Klein designed costumes for Martha Graham. Just sublime simplicty that soared so effortlessly. His Alaia is only starting to showcase signs of promise, potential and presence with his last offering, and he needs to concentrate on keeping that momentum and trajectory. He’s on such shaky grounds presently.

An interview about Mulier's appointment and tenure at Alaïa, his frustrations with the modern fashion industry and his past experiences working with Raf Simons and Jil Sander, Dior and Calvin Klein.

Alaïa’s heir apparel

After two decades in the business, Pieter Mulier was “done” with fashion. Then Richemont called.

Jo Ellison

Alaïa is not the most universally known name in fashion, nor is it the biggest house. Owned by Richemont, which bought a significant stake in 2007, Alaïa has 170 points of sale, and modest revenues (in 2017, it was estimated revenues were around €50mn, although the company says the number is “higher” than that today).

Yet in terms of reputational power and cultural influence, the house remains unparalleled. As Cher Horowitz explains to her mugger in Clueless, the Tunisia-born Azzedine Alaïa was “like, a totally important designer”. Born in 1935, Alaïa worked for Christian Dior, Guy Laroche and Thierry Mugler before founding his own label in 1981. And even if you are not familiar with the brand name, you will probably recognise its stretch-knit bodysuits, as worn by ’80s supermodels. Or the much-copied “skater”, a fluted, fitted minidress, or the corset belt that cinches waists into Edwardian proportions, or its distinctive tote bag perforated with a pretty daisy‑looking stamp. For nearly 40 years Azzedine, known as “papa”, occupied a position at the height of craftsmanship. His death in November 2017, while not entirely unexpected, left a gaping vacuum at the brand.

Pieter Mulier was considering a job offer from a furniture company when the call came in from Richemont, in 2020. The designer had not long returned to his home in Antwerp, having reached an “amicable” parting with his former employers at Calvin Klein. He had spent two decades working in the heart of fashion. And he was “done” with all of it.

“I was done with the mathematics,” says Mulier, over an espresso outside the Alaïa headquarters on Rue de Moussy, in Paris’s Marais district. “Done with the people. Done with the big teams, and done with finding the energy to give to the team and being a kind of creative clown.

“I was done with finding the energy to give to the team and being a kind of creative clown” Pieter Mulier “Honestly, I didn’t want a profession any more,” says the 43-year-old designer, who is slight and puckishly handsome, with narrow features and a knowing grin. He is dressed in a navy Prada overcoat despite it being an exceptionally humid afternoon. Even he realised, however, that the house of Alaïa was a rare jewel: a tiny couture-like studio with a clutch of clients who were passionate, deep-pocketed and fiercely loyal. Immediately he stopped all other conversations. He only wanted this – an opportunity like Alaïa, he says, was a “once in a lifetime thing”.

Mulier’s job offer to be its new creative director came with a simple mandate: to protect the brand. “There were no targets, no merchandisers, nothing,” he says. “They just said you have to maintain the brand’s already high reputation, and we would like the name to be more well-known.”

“Pieter had amazing experiences, through a great diversity of brands,” says Myriam Serrano, the Alaïa CEO. And while he may not have been given specific targets, Serrano comments: “He understood the stakes.”

Mulier was not an Alaïa disciple. His career till then had cleaved to the success of another man – the Belgian designer Raf Simons, with whom Mulier had started working as an intern while studying architecture, before deciding to study fashion and redirect his whole career. Working at Simons’s namesake menswear label, Mulier quickly ascended through the ranks. He followed Simons to Jil Sander in 2006, and then, in 2012, became his right‑hand man for four years at Dior. Readers may recall Mulier from the fashion documentary Dior and I, which follows preparations for the first couture show: as the persuasive interlocutor between the febrile Simons and the rambunctious head seamstresses, the charming consigliere steals every scene.

But while Mulier’s gift for communicating would be his superpower, his experience had left him feeling spent. By the end of his tenure as creative director at Calvin Klein (where he went with Simons after Dior for two years), Mulier had no plans to set foot inside a fashion house again. In Alaïa, Mulier saw the chance to rehabilitate his passion. “I didn’t see it as a fashion company,” he says. “I saw it as a house.”

When Mulier walked into Alaïa in 2021, the headquarters was still in a state of shock. The Rue de Moussy complex was not only a creative centre, it was the building in which Azzedine lived, worked, entertained and slept. Even today, the designer’s presence is felt in every crevice. I used to stay in one of its three immaculately spartan apartments during Paris Fashion Week and there was always a magic about the house: I was never invited to the designer’s legendary kitchen suppers, but I would listen to them, smoking in the courtyard, while being slobbered on by Wabo, the designer’s gargantuan St Bernard dog. “The company was a family,” says Mulier. “And when the father dies, there’s a loss of something big.” Richemont had waited three years after Alaïa’s death to call Mulier, “because they wanted to allow the house a moment of pure grief.”

Despite the trauma, however, Mulier was also aware the team “were hungry for something new”. He went in very humbly. “Honestly, I wasn’t even nervous. I didn’t even arrive with anyone. I didn’t come with an assistant, a stylist, nobody. I just worked with everyone.” The atelier he inherited was tiny: even now the design team can be counted on two hands. “At the beginning, they were all looking at me like I was crazy. But then they all got on board and, in truth, I learnt as much from them.”

Mulier was keen to not cast the house in aspic. He thought the skater had become a bit “doll-like” and needed a fresher look. He wanted to “simplify” the clothing and redefine the line. It all clicked when he “rediscovered the beauty of the first collections, which praised the lines of the body, and were so cleverly done”. Mulier drew on the first six years of the archive to find his creative pulse. His mission: “To find a new sensuality and lose the silhouette that we all know.”

Of course, when one thinks about Alaïa, one thinks of female curves. Thankfully, under Mulier, there’s been no deviation from that path. In the studio, he says, “I’m mostly thinking about the hourglass, and how when you make the waist smaller, everything becomes more round. Every time I work with the atelier it’s about the bombshell – the proportion between the breasts, the waist and the hips. It all comes back to that for them.”

His first collection, shown in summer 2021, put the bombshell centre stage; he also reintroduced the hood. He embraced an unapologetic glamour, with snake-like silhouettes and huge expansive skirts. Later collections have included jeans, “branded” with distinctive stitching that flatters the bottom and creates the illusion of a longer leg. He has also designed the world’s most gorgeous peacoat, re-established the “body” as a core product, and launched a swimwear range. Neither has he jettisoned the basics. The skater dress is still intact, only now with tweaked proportions including a slightly lower waist. “The skater skirt is like the Hermès Birkin, but it had come to represent a ‘bourgeois’ theme,” he says. “We still do it because it still sells,” he adds, “but I don’t think that’s what Alaïa is.”

The reaction to his collections has been positive, from critics, buyers and fans alike. “I love what Pieter does at Alaïa because it’s original,” says Alexander Fury, an HTSI contributor and one of Azzedine’s most ardent fans. “With a back-catalogue like Azzedine’s it would be so easy to rehash and rely on archives, but Pieter is instead creating something genuinely brave and new.”

“Pieter has brilliantly protected the Alaïa house codes while moving the collection forward,” agrees Alison Loehnis, president of Net-a-Porter, Mr Porter and The Outnet, and interim CEO of Yoox Net-a-Porter. “The bodycon dresses and playful yet cool accessories have all been incredibly successful. And his introduction of new categories such as denim reflect how he’s thinking about the customer’s full wardrobe beyond occasion and evening.”

The studio has also reignited Mulier’s love of fashion. “I always loved it,” he insists, “but it’s good to take a little break.” Right now he’s obsessing over leather: “It was only when I started here that I realised how amazing it is as a material for ready-to-wear.” He’s in awe of the design team: impressive, considering he’s worked among the best. “Azzedine was a great teacher,” he continues. “They still think like him when they create.”

After working for a mass-consumer label such as Calvin Klein, Mulier was anxious that he would not have to produce “merch”. He was adamant that he would not make the kind of streetwear that has become the backbone of so many brands. Nevertheless, he’s happy to acknowledge that his Alaïa has a sports appeal. Likewise with the logo: while he would be loath to use one without good reason, at Alaïa it’s a natural fit. “Azzedine did a logo T-shirt in 1991, so it would be quite on brand,” he shrugs. “But I don’t think it’s what will drive our company further.” Brand visibility is a far more subtle game. He points to the brand’s bestselling bag, Le Coeur. “Sure, it has a little logo on the front. But the interesting thing about that bag is that, from afar, you see a shape.”

Shoes and bags have been important drivers in a brand that still does 60 per cent of its business through ready-to-wear. The diamanté-studded Ballerina, for example, has become a sell-out – a great example of the brand’s organic marketing approach. Says Mulier: “We launched the Ballerina two years ago, but in the past six months it’s been selling like crazy, everywhere. How can you know in six weeks what sells and what doesn’t? Or if there’s a potential in a product? It takes much longer. We give our product a lot of time.”

Ultimately, he would “love to do lingerie,” and dreams of doing menswear. But, for now, he’s focused on making sure the fits are more inclusive and that they stay focused on delivering the core.

“Alaïa will always be Alaïa,” says Serrano, “but we have a strong potential to further develop the Alaïa universe. We’ll keep growing the ready-to-wear thanks to strong product pillars.” She also cites other categories to develop: “Custom jewellery, fragrance, eyewear…”

So far the results have been encouraging: Serrano says the company has seen double-digit growth. Mulier’s influence is working. “This year has seen the highest turnover in the history of the maison.”

Mulier did not want to be a public figure, and, at Alaïa, he can still crouch in the shadow of its charismatic former head. But with each season he’s becoming more comfortable in the spotlight. It’s been quite the evolution for the former number two. In January, he staged the summer-fall 2023 collection at his home in Antwerp, the Riverside Tower, a brutalist apartment building designed by Léon Stynen and Paul De Meyer in which he has lived for seven years. Guests watched the show’s proceedings while crowded on his furniture, sitting in his kitchen, some even perching on his bed. “My therapist told me to do it,” he says of his decision. “Azzedine always showed in his house. And there’s something beautiful in showing it in this way, in opening the doors.” It was also a clever tactic in an era where people fly to ever-more exotic locales to see a show. “It was intimate, and therefore even more exclusive. It was luxury another way.”

It was also a moment for the designer to take pride in being Belgian, and to reevaluate “the importance of Antwerp, which we have all forgotten a bit”. Mulier has never identified as being “an Antwerp designer” – in the vein of Dries Van Noten, Ann Demeulemeester or Martin Margiela, who brought an intellectual rigour to fashion in the ’90s. But he is, nonetheless, a Belgian designer, who has always lived in Antwerp and returns there every week.

“I don’t like Paris that much,” he confesses. “I mean. I love Paris as a city. But as a community? I couldn’t live here full time. I have an apartment in Paris but it’s like a hotel room. It’s not my house.” Back in Antwerp, he’s “extremely normal – too normal”. He visits family (his sister, who works in real estate, and his brother, who’s a cook). He listens to the radio, walks the dog and cooks meals for friends. For 18 years his partner has been Matthieu Blazy, the Paris-born creative director of Bottega Veneta, whom he met while working for Raf Simons. The trio, now working for separate houses, have remained a tight clique in fashion. But Mulier will not further discuss his private life.

For someone at the heart of fashion, he has quite distinct and separate lives: Antwerp is for rest and relaxation. In Paris, he’s “here to work”.

What does his therapist think about that?

“She loves it,” says Mulier. “Well, she doesn’t love that I’m compartmentalising, but she understands that I need time for myself away from all of this. Before, I had a problem with work – I worked every single day, every weekend, every Sunday. I had to, and I loved it. But I worked too hard. Travelling to Antwerp gives me a reason to just leave it all behind.”

If I were Mulier’s analyst, I would say the past few years have marked a journey to the “self”. He has found independence, creative freedom and a clear distinctive voice. Alaïa has allowed him to focus on designing – he’s no longer required to buoy up the troops. He doesn’t have to court the influencer and, notwithstanding his Rihanna-at-the-Super-Bowl-2023 moment (in a red Alaïa puffer coat dress), he’s not seeking big-name clients. He’s fine with being exclusive. He wants Alaïa to be a brand you might discover on your own. “I don’t want to talk to everyone,” he says, of the industry’s preoccupation with talking to the broadest possible clientele.

Mulier has mixed feelings about the future of fashion, despite being an “optimist” at heart. The last collection he really loved was Loewe’s AW23 – for its “freshness” and how it allowed him to look at the clothes. “I sound like an old man now, but back in the days when we were with fashion people, we would talk about the aesthetic of brands. Now I have at least two or three dinners a week where I sit down and I hear people talking about money. This expression: ‘Oh, they’re doing well.’ OK, something is selling. But in the end, who cares? Fashion is in a strange state because the audience becomes so big that you want to talk to everybody and you don’t have a voice any more.”

At Alaïa, Mulier has found the perfect sanctum in which to focus on the clothes. He can fit, refit and refine his bombshell. He no longer needs to play the clown.

And the accompanying photoshoot:
https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_3bcc6b23-ec05-4bb1-985c-701a7cb9767f.jpg https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_a8feb889-a6d7-4501-8feb-2b232773501d.jpg https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_5c4488c9-dc58-4fb3-905a-edba59da20ca.jpg https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_b0b641d5-af1f-4ab1-8603-727ea45519a6.jpg https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_480dfc65-6359-4cb1-b7e7-ede49c02b68b.jpg https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_b72b1eee-84c5-4fd9-b785-a723f339a76f.jpg https___d1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net_production_526b32ae-950d-4366-b128-caa9af7ccb57.jpg
Collection: Alaïa by Pieter Mulier
Photography: Tess Ayano
Styling: Isabelle Kountoure
Models: Beauise Ferwerda and Muna Mahamed

Source: Financial Times

I think that the posthumous strategy Richemont has in mind for Alaïa is really interesting and different for a corporate house.

They traded the idea of targeting aggressive growth for aiming for stability and retaining Alaïa at a healthy size that will allow the house to maintain its atelier and its flagship stores without financial losses. This seems to be very appropriate for a house like Alaïa.

Mulier's collections may not be the house's best, but he seems to be enjoying his job and getting along well with the atelier staff. He gets to be the creative director of a house with similar values to his. This means that he gets to execute his vision for the house, without the burden of having to aggressively push constant buzzy products and logoed merchandise at a breakneck pace.

There's no hard sales target or marketer/merchandiser led collections either. The only real change is to make the house more publicly visible to younger audiences, which makes sense considering that Alaïa's original customer base is now approaching retirement age.

Alaïa seems to be the ideal operational model to have in this era of fashion:
• two seasonal collections a year
• a small, but strong atelier
• a couple of flagship stores
• a healthy number of wholesale accounts
• a loyal customer base
• a equal balance between ready-to-wear and accessory sales

^this exactly. He's not M. Alaïa himself but it says a lot that the label isn't being pushed into a mode of operation that would go against the way it's worked for the last 40 years.

We are going to ignore the Alaia/Superga collaboration.

I’m not a fan of his work for Alaia. I think it lacks in sensuality and I don’t feel like he is adding something substantial to the brand. Alaia has been very one-note ish for the decade preceding his death and I think more could have been done with the brand. When you see what Alexandre Vauthier has managed to do with his interpretations of Azzedine’s work, that’s what you want…

‘That being said, it would be totally dishonest to say that the Pieter’s effect on the brand is not seen.
For years, Alaia relied on the legendary status of Azzedine. The clients were regular for years, they initiated their daughters. I grew up with the images of Alaia but when I started working in fashion in Paris, going to Alaia was like a « rite de passage ». I don’t know one woman who worked/works in fashion or who is relatively interested about clothes who doesn’t own a piece of Alaia…Whether is a twin-set or a coat.

Thanks to Pieter, Alaia is peeking the interest of a younger generation. They are buying it because they saw it on Rihanna.

And I will give him that: his furs and his heart bag are great.

But that doesn’t mean that on July 2nd, we will choose Pieter instead of Hedi!

I will, but that's mostly because of my strong dislike for Hedi's aesthetic.
Ahaha! I’m new Celine MENSWEAR (the precision is important) customer. So, i have to see what he has next.

But if it was womenswear against womenswear, maybe pass on both lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annetbef
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->