Sabato De Sarno - Designer, Creative Director of Gucci

And I don't like the fact that they are not even brave enough to take the financial and creative risks.
Going all in with Sabato's vision at least. Everything in the past 6 months have been "Ancora" "Minimal" "Quiet Luxury" and you go to the new in section and it's all the same stuff big logos, bright colours and monogram. It clearly shows they are not convinced in the vision itself. If they don't believe in it then why would anyone even care? The logo and the brand means nothing today in all context it's just empty products with some marketing. It takes a lot of courage and risks to to a 180 direction, they did it before with Michele but no balls to do it this time with de Sarno.

Exactly, the stores are filled to the brim with Alessandro-esque things, with a few racks of Sabato's clothes, which look so sad and basic.

When I asked one of the sales associates why there wasn't more ANCORA, he told me it was "sold out" already, but when I dug deeper, what he explained was that 90% of the things have to be pre-ordered (and paid for partially) at the time of the show and so basically little of the collection will make it to the shop floor.

I don't know if this is strategic on Gucci's part to cut down excess stock, or if it's really protecting themselves from being stuck with a lot of ANCORA and then also the implications of how that would look visually (like it's not selling and not "hot")?

If that’s true and he will get fired after September fashion week (which would be an excellent news bud had to endure more of his shows) then next one will be under unimaginably crushing pressure and we will have another palette cleanser with hope that this time it might work. What a circus I can’t even…🤡

Poor Sabato.
Seems like no one is buying his vision even the merch team :(
Why even change if the products won't change? I went back to the site and searched for "Ancora" less than 50 items on the site looks like it comes from the collection (out of 1685 things on the women's section) Try yourself when you search. I've always thought Ancora stuff would have been a hit if it was priced well.

gucci_ecom.png

And I know this will never happen, but I think the only safe bet (business-wise at least) would've been Hedi.
Like a ripping a bandaid, hurt once and actually paid off who would have thought. I remember all the negative response and shock but at least operational-wise I remember by the time the collection arrived there was already new store concepts and boutique filled with new items.

Exactly, I feel like Sds is just a "victim" of Gucci. They say they are elevating the brand, yet they hire Bad Bunny for the cheapest luggage campaign ever seen. They want to go to the quite luxury thing and the Gucci Ancora image, but they end up producing super logo-ed pieces. It literally makes no sense. I do feel sorry for Sds tbh, because his reputation is on the ground and I am quite sure it's not entirely his fault (even if I have zero sympathy towards him after the "cum in my heart" post, lol).

And I know this will never happen, but I think the only safe bet (business-wise at least) would've been Hedi.

The only real Creative Directors left are him and JW.
lol Gucci is a victim of Sds and &Co because Gucci has all the archives and past success to prove it has what it takes to be something special ancora :-)

Create the dream then the rest will follow, the starting point is Sds is not creating any dream it's that simple!!!! no desire no hype no urgency or intrigue no trend......list can go on and on ...its just too flat and not good enough for a brand this big with so much expectations and fans of all walks of life.

It starts with his vision even if by default your boss might not give you all the freedom or keys to all the rooms of the castle

Luggage campaign is under Sds creative vision same as Lido Campaign one both are cheap as F .....

i mean really, who is actually capable of restoring gucci to what it once was pre-pandemic? good luck finding a creative director with the vision to make it work lmao. this brand needs someone with a hyper-specific vision and point of view. someone who can project an instantly glamorous and compelling vignette of contemporary, jet-setting italian luxury. a profile of basic yet extortionately priced separates is untenable for a fashion-oriented house like gucci. the future CD needs a specific and immediately identifiable blueprint. alessandro - as much as i hate his design codes - had it. sabato does not. tom's reign remains the unsurpassed gold standard.

lol Gucci is a victim of Sds and &Co because Gucci has all the archives and past success to prove it has what it takes to be something special ancora :-)

Create the dream then the rest will follow, the starting point is Sds is not creating any dream it's that simple!!!! no desire no hype no urgency or intrigue no trend......list can go on and on ...its just too flat and not good enough for a brand this big with so much expectations and fans of all walks of life.

It starts with his vision even if by default your boss might not give you all the freedom or keys to all the rooms of the castle

Luggage campaign is under Sds creative vision same as Lido Campaign one both are cheap as F .....

I mean, I am sure Sds is not great as a designer (by any mean), but the management can do quite a lot giving freedom or not to the designer. I think they were worried about Gucci's image at the end of Michele's tenure and for the little drop of sales, so their masterminds came up with this "renewal" that has nothing to do with Sds. For me, he is just a puppet and the best example of a brand "designed" by the executives.

I don't know how it works at Kering, but in the competitors, the management team choses a few designers and ask them to create a "portfolio" with their vision, to create several collections, moodboards, sometimes they come up with toiles, etc. That way, the management knows how the new image will look before even hiring the designer, and sometimes they can tone it down or drive it a little bit into another direction.

If they hired Sds, they knew how it would look like and they completetly wanted to go in this direction. I am sure they thought it would work. And I am sure as well that the shows and the campaigns are orchestrated by management. I think no designer in the world would do a campaign like the Bad Bunny one if it was not because he has pressures from within. Or the one at the tennis court with the Nike garments. The London teaser with Kate Moss...

With all this, they have learned that they still need a CD with a strong vision and that their calculated moves can't bring magic to the brand, no matter who they hire for their campaigns or how much money they invest in ugly marketing. But I do think they didn't want a real CD this time.

At the beginning of AM tenure, everybody was disgusted by his shows (link to that first show in TFS), but Alessandro knew how to develop a personal image for the brand (even if I never liked it). Maybe it would happen the same for SdS, the thing is: is it desirable? Has it l'air du temps? I think not at all. Mainly because it seems marketed to be a success. Idk.

I mean, I am sure Sds is not great as a designer (by any mean), but the management can do quite a lot giving freedom or not to the designer. I think they were worried about Gucci's image at the end of Michele's tenure and for the little drop of sales, so their masterminds came up with this "renewal" that has nothing to do with Sds. For me, he is just a puppet and the best example of a brand "designed" by the executives.

I don't know how it works at Kering, but in the competitors, the management team choses a few designers and ask them to create a "portfolio" with their vision, to create several collections, moodboards, sometimes they come up with toiles, etc. That way, the management knows how the new image will look before even hiring the designer, and sometimes they can tone it down or drive it a little bit into another direction.

If they hired Sds, they knew how it would look like and they completetly wanted to go in this direction. I am sure they thought it would work. And I am sure as well that the shows and the campaigns are orchestrated by management. I think no designer in the world would do a campaign like the Bad Bunny one if it was not because he has pressures from within. Or the one at the tennis court with the Nike garments. The London teaser with Kate Moss...

With all this, they have learned that they still need a CD with a strong vision and that their calculated moves can't bring magic to the brand, no matter who they hire for their campaigns or how much money they invest in ugly marketing. But I do think they didn't want a real CD this time.

At the beginning of AM tenure, everybody was disgusted by his shows (link to that first show in TFS), but Alessandro knew how to develop a personal image for the brand (even if I never liked it). Maybe it would happen the same for SdS, the thing is: is it desirable? Has it l'air du temps? I think not at all. Mainly because it seems marketed to be a success. Idk.

One short simple and clear issue regardless of how much freedom he might have or not is : he has so far proven to not able to create not even one desirable product Alessandro and Hedi per example despite online critics or press on the sales floor made items that resonate and move people to spend money.
Alessandro first show had the marmont belt and pricetown hairy shoe and dionysus bag later first cruise had the marmont bag all the company 10 years later still lives of that's the issue here the boy can't come up with a design to save his life.
It has all todo with him fulls top it starts with him as the vision maker (with no vision) regardlöes how cheap kering might have been in hiring him they did hire wang at balenciaga right after NG so gucci is now its Wang moment same as Frida post Tom also supper flat and no string direction.

Truth is if his first show was wow and created buzz for the brand he would get even more freedom it's always like that .

vision lack of vision is the core problem ...like it or not a rapper like Pharell has more vision than him at this point i welcome any one at a house as a CD as long as they do something with a point of view :-)

And what do you think about Fabio Z from Prada? Maybe he can do good.

I just scrolled past their Cruise show paid post on Tiktok and my god I couldn't help but cringing so hard.

It's a clip taking you to the Tate Modern for the show. You're (obviously) at the back of a black cab and making stops to Gucci-branded locations. The first stop is at... Monocle Cafe....... What year is it? 2009? Yikes.

They're just so void of any creativity, it is insane to watch.

As @Creative said, Sabato's tenure reeks of executive meddling:
- aesthetical whiplash
- aggressive product pushing
- nostalgia baiting
- plethorious celebrity campaigns

In fashion/fragrances/beauty, the figurative face of a brand (the marketing and brand image) represents its figurative brain (the suits), heart (creative director and design departement) and hands (production management). A poor brand image gives the perception of a dysfunctional business. The public reception of Gucci is probably a bit like this:
agressive product pushing + celebrity marketing

inconsistent brand direction

the brand is obviously in a bad patch

a lack of power (or skill) in the creative departement

incompetent executives

the brand might have worse issues behind the scenes

the brand seems unattractive

customers don't buy the products​

That's why nobody wants to touch it.

Hedi could proably turn the brand around, but his contract would probably include a 20 million/year salary, an additional 5 million/year in loyalties, a 10% stake in Gucci and a life-long supply of twinks at his disposal.

Last edited:
Hedi could proably turn the brand around, but his contract would probably include a 20 million/year salary, an additional 5 million/year in loyalties, a 10% stake in Gucci and a life-long supply of twinks at his disposal.
I'm also going to add the clause of Vaccarello and Belletini's immediate termination at YSL to the hypothetic contract.

The Guardian just posted an article: ‘Where people are sharing energies’: why Sabato de Sarno is bringing Gucci’s latest show to London

‘Where people are sharing energies’: why Sabato de Sarno is bringing Gucci’s latest show to London​

From luggage to Princess Diana, the capital is central to this inherently Italian house’s history. And with an upcoming show at the Tate Modern, that connection is set to continue

Lauren Cochrane
Mon 13 May 2024 14.46 CEST

An image of an early nineties Diana, Princess of Wales on the school run in a varsity jacket and midiskirt makes easy Instagram fashion fodder, but this outfit has fashion influence beyond the throw-away feed. Sabato De Sarno, the creative director of Gucci, credits outfits like this as one of his London inspirations – and part of the reason that the Italian brand will show their latest collection in the capital.
The show is set to take place at the Tate Modern on Monday night. “I have been to London countless times, mostly for work, and there are many places, people, works of art, and songs that have inspired me during my stays,” the designer says ahead of the show. “I wanted to show how the city, and people who live here, have influenced me over time.”

Part of the appeal is London’s eclectic mix. “To me, it’s a place where people are sharing energies and ideas, no matter where they are coming from,” says the designer. “More than a specific style, what fascinates me about this city is the ability to bring opposites together, to make them coexist in a unique way made of conversations and exchanges.”
De Sarno heads up a luxury brand, so it perhaps makes sense he sees Diana, an aristocrat, as an example of this distinctly London style. “[The] jacket seems to have been stolen from a wardrobe that is not hers. I like personalities that speak about something contradictory, that bring together what seems distant and make it work.” Contemporary Londoners from less well-heeled backgrounds – including Little Simz and Kate Moss – are also in the mix. They both appeared on Gucci’s social media platforms in the run-up to the show.
Gucci is a brand that feels inherently Italian – it was founded in Florence, regularly stages fashion shows in Milan and most of its products are still manufactured in Italy. But it does also have a historical connection to London. Founder Guccio Gucci, the man who gave the brand its trademark double G logo, travelled to London as a teenager, and worked as a porter at the Savoy hotel in the late nineteenth century. It was here, so the brand legend goes, that the founder learned about luggage as well, says De Sarno, as about London as a “place where aristocracy, bourgeois and artists could finally mingle together”. All of these experiences no doubt informed the foundation of Gucci, originally a luggage brand, when Guccio set it up in his native city in 1921.

De Sarno has been creative director of Gucci since 2023, taking over from Alessandro Michele. He has introduced a minimalist, more wearable aesthetic. The designer describes his time so far as “building a house, room by room, taking care of every detail. The first women’s show was an introduction to my wardrobe – the classics, in my opinion. The second a very specific idea of sensuality.” This collection, he says, will be “about romanticism, and I’m doing it in my way”.

The designer was appointed as Michele’s dressing-up box look – one so successful that revenue more than doubled between 2015 and 2022 – began to flag with consumers shifting to a quiet luxury aesthetic post-pandemic. However, De Sarno’s Gucci has yet to make an impact financially. In the first quarter of 2024, Gucci parent company Kering reported that sales of the brand had fallen by about 20%. De Sarno, and those in the boardroom, will be hoping a trip to London can help bring Gucci to life again, just as it did for Guccio all those years ago.

He should be banned from opening his mouth to the press before the show. I can’t even stress how annoying and pretentious is to give the whole keynote about the show nobody has seen yet. It’s always this pattern: SdS talks to press prior to the show -> delivers sh*t collection -> nobody is buying it / reviews are bad -> he is whining about his artistry and that we need to give him a time -> SdS talks a lot to the press…

Fabio Zambernardi + Stefano Pilati is a dream combo for any houses tbf.
MCC is still being named as internal rumours seems it won't go away ...by now it's boring to hear it again but you never know .....Stefano Pilati had already Kering experience so they won't go back there again....
And what do you think about Fabio Z from Prada? Maybe he can do good.
he has talent for sure more than sds, he does have a very gay pop side to his personal taste so don't be shocked if he does something less intellectual prada ....his ex is now at gucci as vice president so why not :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->